Start by marking “Човекът, който искаше да бъде щастлив” as Want to Read:
Човекът, който искаше да бъде щастлив

Човекът, който искаше да бъде щастлив

Едно вълнуващо пътешествие с мъдреца от остров Бали, или как да се освободим от това, което ни пречи да бъдем истински щастливи

Остров Бали. Раят на земята. Пищна растителност, екзотични птици, простодушни хора, които не знаят да казват „не” – и един западноевропеец, привлечен от славата на местния лечител. Диагнозата на лечителя е категорична: нашият герой е в добро здраве
Published 2009 by Колибри (first published 2008)

Be the first to ask a question about Човекът, който искаше да бъде щастлив

Amal Bedhyefi
As we read this book , we follow Julien's journey in Bali , where a simple check up with a local healer ended up being daily sessions with them trying to figure out a solution so that Julien might feel a litle bit better about his life through a series of questions and answers that point to his own limiting beliefs and fears.
When i picked this book , I had high expectations since i've heard nothing but the best about it ! However now ,once finished , i really don't get why people are so hyped ab
Ibtissam
This book is in every bookstore i go to !!!!
I thought the book was okay, most of the things on the book i already know about, that doesn't mean i didn't get out of this book without something new, i actually learned a few new things...
IF You are having doubts about your life and where you are headed to maybe this book is for you and you will love it more than other type of readers.
Lavinia
3 stars is a lot. A lot more than I thought I would give it in the first place. And I must confess I disagree with all the conclusions of the book and I hate the ending. The conclusions: the guy wants to prove that he had gained inner balance and knowledge and instead he's just judgmental and superior. The ending: what gives him the right to believe that he can interfere in the development of a kid that he has no idea from what environment is from and what are their perspectives? Total lack of h ...more
Anja
Nov 12, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
For people that are self aware this book will sound like a shallow terminology, and for people that are lost in their journey through life, (like the main character is), this book will be a real revelation. It was very beautiful to travel to Bali and get to know a bit of the culture, the beautiful descriptions of the landscape make you feel like you are really there. Although to me personally the terminology sounded cheap, shallow and repeated a thousand times it was interesting to get acquainte ...more
Kaouthar Batoun
Franchement j'ai pas appris grand chose.. J'étais un peu déçue!
The book got more publicity than it actually deserves..

The two stars are for the fact that it was a nice reminder of what I already know.

Lucijaa
Jun 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
This is a great book. I never realized how much our opinion affects our entire behavior.

I just wonder if all the data from the researches that Samtyang mentions are true and valid.

This book isn't saying anything new - these things we already considered years ago... but we lost ourselves and forgot them. We forgot to be happy.

And it takes so little for us to be happy... and still; rarely anyone is happy.
Damaskcat
Nov 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A modern parable which incorporates a great deal of useful information on the best way to live and enjoyable and satisfying life. Julian is almost at the end of a marvellous holiday in Bali when he decides to go and see Samtyang who is a faith healer among other things.

Julian doesn’t know why he decided to see wise man but feels compelled to do so. He agrees that his health is good but he’s unhappy. He doesn’t seem to do very well with relationships and he is fed up with his job as a teacher. T
Helenevlc
The story line is very thin, but it gives you a few things to think about. More for young adults than for adults, who should know these things. I was deeply disappointed that the main character was stimulated to pursue his dream of becoming a famous photographer instead of making something of his ( currently uninspiring) job as a teacher. And telling that the mind is as strong as a medicine is a very dangerous thing to say, there is a lot more behind the stories of the power of placeboes and not ...more
Houda
Jan 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the best books I've ever read!It makes you go through a wonderful journey of self-discovery and discovering the other. And it gives that adventurous sense that you're actually there, in Bali, going through it all and learning from it all! I enjoyed every minute of it and didn't want it to end.
Soňa
Mar 27, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very interesting book. Tiny in size big in message even tho I would like to read more about the topic. It's a story of Julien, man, teacher on vacation on Bali who decides to visit local shaman and learns that he might be healthy but not happy. Throught the talk with master Samtyang he discovers what to do to become happy...that the only power holding him from being all he wants is himself. Samtyang shows him how the will and our imaginationg can build or destroy the vision and reality. Liked ho ...more
Vojta
Jun 17, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Well, and here we have another fail that tries to show you how to be happy. I don't know how about people in Bali, but here in Prague I'd find 5 "NO" answers in a few minutes. Most people would not give a shit about me at all and would not even look me in the eye. And killing cancerous cells with sending love?! What?! But that's not the point. The book is not completely bad. Actually, Laurent is right in many ways. I just cannot stand the way the book is written ... the language, the poor effort ...more
Gina
Jan 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Phenomenal, engaging and mindblowing. I would recommend this book to everyone and anyone. Throughout the novel, the protagonist faces up to his fears and works on the personal psychological barriers stopping him from achieving "happiness" - his self journey provides worthwhile lessons for all.
Annukka Mäkeläinen
Mar 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
Okay, totally honest? Perhaps 4.5 stars. But this timing when I read it - I have been thinking about my future so much lately and then this book came! Wow.

This makes you think what makes you happy and without noticing you can see your future in a way that makes you excited to get old (okay I am joking, I did not plan my future completely but I am heading to great direction and I look forward to see it in reality!)

If you want a quick-read pile of paper that will change the way you think about you
Kawtar Tamir
L'Homme Qui Voulait Être Heureux (Man Who Wanted To Be Happy) by Laurent Gounelle is about the journey of a teacher called Julian. Shortly before his return from a vacation in Bali, he sees a healer. This meeting changes his view of people and the world as he starts to deeply question things around him.

One of the most superficial books I've ever read.

I didn't enjoy the writing style. It was as simple as a middle school book. More plain than Guillaume Musso's. Some examples were either absurd, o
Deyth Banger
Oct 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2018
"October 11, 2018 – page 144
100.0% "It was more likely a journey than a psychological study... I have been around psychiatric work and now how it looks."
October 11, 2018 – page 123
85.42% "The mindset you start your morning runs your whole day... that's what this book is proposing."
October 11, 2018 – page 123
85.42% "This book shows that even if it's lie .. enough times repeated... people start believing."
October 11, 2018 – page 101
70.14% "We all love one drama TV Series... or movie full w
Assia
May 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
if you feel down,your world is dark with no sense, your heart is broken, your life seems unworthy, then make a risk ! make a change ! do something completely crazy and new ! and you'll see how easy joy can infiltrate into your deepest and illuminate your way ...
this is how I personally take myself out of depression's first signs...
And this book is brilliant!
it teaches you things that you may have not learn the right way and reminds you things that you already know but completely forgot!
it opens
Debby
DNF at 56%.

Two stars because there are a few thoughts that are actually good and made me think.

Overall I disagree with the overall "lesson" as if your happiness was in your hands.

If life was this simple, that would be known.

It was a very irritating read personally because I was going through hard times at work when I read this book. The day after my annual review, I opened this book again and ... no. I just couldn't take it anymore. How am I supposed to keep smiling and to execute my wishes wh
Wandering Soul
May 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An inspiring, attractive, and easy to read story of a man that, in a few short days, learns a lot about himself and transforms his thinking and life under the mentorship of an ancient healer someplace at Bali. You too can perhaps learn a valuable lesson or two.

The main thing he learns, or rather is led to discover for himself, is how much our life and experience is shaped by our - often non-conscious - beliefs. How these beliefs drive our behaviors and limit our choices and freedom.

If you want t
David
Feb 22, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
What if you were all healthy, had everything in life, job, a roof over your head, but you were unhappy ? You'll be taken on a journey to discover yourself: how what you believe can in turn affect how you are.
For example, you might learn how self-esteem can change how people see you: it does not make you look ugly but surely it will make you invisible and less interesting, then less attracting. You'll also learn to overcome whatever is holding you back to better achieve your goals.
This book is or
Veronique
Aug 31, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: french
So cliché, so simplistic, the (only) good thing is that it's a short book. Then what bothered me a lot (on top of all the rest) is the fact that the shaman is not even the least believable. For a while, I tried to find excuses to the author, like he needed specific unrealistic situations to make his point,or that maybe I was missing a deeper meaning. But I had to conclude that this book is simply ridiculous. Laurent Gounelle seems to give very little credit to his readers, does he think they are ...more
Dave
Feb 20, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Stumbled upon the author’s TEDx talk (“Devenir pleinement soi-même”, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZXJ7...) recently and loved it - he came across as genuine, wise, funny, and passionate about life.

Based on that, I read this book. It’s kind of a parable about a man who’s a bit lost in his life, and a Balinese wise man who guides him. It’s fairly pleasant, but also quite simplistic, and the lessons are unlikely to be a surprise to most people.
Marja
Well, this was a bit of a cliche. An unhappy westerner travels to Bali, seeks out an old Balinese healer(?) in quest for happiness, spends time with him and finds enlightenment. I actually though it was a bit annoying how everything was conveniently served to the reader without needing to think it through themselves, but maybe that's just me. I don't think I learned anything new from this but I do want to travel to Bali myself now more than ever. I'd say this was 3 to 3.5 stars read for me.
Charine
Jun 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
"Don't ever let anyone tell you what you're not capable of doing. It's for you to choose and live your life."

This book really does calm my mind, and distracts me from the reality a bit. It's good to learn more about life and delve into its true meaning. It isn't complex at all. It's only human who makes it like that.

Thanks for giving me this book. It's one of my favorite now. Merci!
Mehdi
Nov 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is really a motivation booster. I loved it, but just (some little times) it feels boring. But all in all, it's wonderfull as it opened my mind to discover myself first then to improve my life philosophy. I recommend it for all of you, those who are interested in self-improvement books.
Maryam
Feb 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
the book is based on the idea of :You are what you think!! through Julien you see how a simple believing can affect your life ! I really liked it and another time Laurent Gounelle proves that he is one of my favorite authors :)
Sophie
Nothing new in this book but the message is still important and can help guide someone. I found the writting a little arrogant at times, especially with the dutch man.
Amin El alami
Aug 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
a great book.
Melanie Josephine
This book really gets you thinking!
Jakub Enström
May 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: psychology
Easy to read with a big message to send. Small book carrying huge amount of information if correctly interpreted. Had to stop many times and go back to fully grasp the message. Worth a while
Kerri McKenzie
Easy read. Didn't feel like I gained much from this book but I'm sure others will read it and gain a lot.
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Goodreads Librari...: New cover for this book please 2 22 Jun 06, 2019 05:55AM
Goodreads Librari...: Wrong page count 2 14 Feb 13, 2018 01:20PM
lien de telechargement 1 19 Oct 02, 2012 09:15AM

• La Vie d'une autre
  • Dernier inventaire avant liquidation
  • Je, François Villon
  • L'âme du monde
  • Ceux qui vont mourir te saluent
  • Quiet the Mind
  • C'est une chose étrange à la fin que le monde
  • Patients
  • La première gorgée de bière et autres plaisirs minuscules
  • The Lost Sailors
  • Érasme
  • Les Lisières
  • Deadly Tasting (Winemaker Detective Mysteries, #4)
  • Patience dans l'azur
  • Madama Sbatterflay
  • L'art des listes : Simplifier, organiser, enrichir sa vie
  • La Boîte à merveilles
  • Le Temps Des Secrets (Souvenirs d'enfance, #3)
Ecrivain, Laurent Gounelle est également un spécialiste des sciences humaines dont il est diplomé (DESS à la Sorbonne), il a été formé en France et aux Etats-Unis. Ses livres expriment sa passion pour la philosophie, la psychologie et le développement personnel.

Il est par ailleurs conférencier à l'université de Clermont-Ferrand.
“Quand on est convaincu d'une chose, elle devient la réalité, notre
réalité.”
29 likes
“Plus on évolue dans sa vie, plus on se débarrasse des croyances qui
nous limitent, et plus on a de choix. Et le choix, c'est la liberté.”
20 likes