Start by marking “Polluted Promises: Environmental Racism and the Search for Justice in a Southern Town” as Want to Read:

3.68  ·  Rating details ·  76 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
Association for Humanist Sociology 2007 Book Award co-winner

Julian Steward Award 2006 Runner-Up!

Over the past two decades, environmental racism has become the rallying cry for many communities as they discover the contaminations of toxic chemicals and industrial waste in their own backyards.

Living next door to factories and industrial sites for years, the people in these c
Published August 1st 2005 by New York University Press

To ask other readers questions about Polluted Promises, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Polluted Promises

Elizabeth Greenfield
Feb 27, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: whitman
Read all but chapter 6 for EJ. Interesting.
Renee Pinkston

I read this ethnography for an environmental/economic anthropology course and at first, I wasn’t really sure that I would like it. The topic was one that I was not too keen on, but at the time, I wasn’t too sure what environmental racism was. This work is shorter than most, but does not lack in detail or information. In fact, it is one of the better that I have read. To be completely frank, next to Rara, this ethnography is my favorite. I really was able to read it and enjoy it while being able
Jason
Mar 12, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: anthropology
Anthropologist focuses on a particular neighborhood to highlight a theory of "environmental racism". She finds that even when you control for community poverty, race can predict where society keeps it waste and dumps its pollution. Very important study.
Kristen Sisaithong
Jun 20, 2008 rated it it was ok
I had never heard of Environmental Racism before I read this book and Checker did her homework, ethnographically-speaking. I liked her focus on community and it fit in well with my research regarding social capital.
Elizabeth
Aug 11, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: tsu-book-group
Does a great job of discussing assumptions about race, environment, and environmental activism and different organizing strategies for different environmental communities.
Ben Wagner
Nov 10, 2011
Claire Denny
Mar 24, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
For fiction works, please see Melissa Checker.

Dr. Melissa Checker (PhD NYU, 2002) is a member of the Urban Studies Department at Queens College. Her research focuses on grassroots environmental justice activism, the politics of urban sustainability, and post-disaster recovery on Staten Island. She is the author of Polluted Promises: Environmental Racism and the Search for Justice in a Southern T
More about Melissa Checker...