Start by marking “UNIX System Administration Handbook” as Want to Read:
UNIX System Administration Handbook

UNIX System Administration Handbook

This new edition of the world's most comprehensive guide to UNIX administration is an ideal tutorial for those new to administration and an invaluable reference for experienced professionals. The third edition has been expanded to include "direct from the frontlines" coverage of Red Hat Linux. UNIX System Administration Handbook describes every aspect of system administrat ...more
Paperback, Third Edition, 853 pages
Published 2001 by Prentice Hall PTR (first published 1989)

To ask other readers questions about UNIX System Administration Handbook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about UNIX System Administration Handbook

Paul Wood
Jan 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was one of the first Unix Admin books out there. It was a great resource at a time when only the Usenet and white books where the only source of learning and verifying knowledge.
It is written in such a fun way, I sat down a read it one weekend while skiing. Well, after my legs gave out for the day.
Vincenzo De Sanctis
Sep 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
If you have the slightest interest in Unix system administration, you NEED this book... it will either equip you for the job or make you consider a new line of work.
This book is by far the best book out there for general UNIX system adminstration. The third edition is even better than the second. Whereas the second edition sometimes got bogged down in trying to mention too many different UNIX flavors, this new addition just concentrates on four main ones (HP-UX, Solaris, Red Hat Linux, and BSD).
Nemo
Jul 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: work-related
All in all it is not a bad reference for day-to-day sysadmin work, however you will still need the fundamental knowledge of operating systems that you might get from a decent book or university course on the subject if you want to do a good job.
Also I was somewhat disappointed by the coverage, or lack thereof of clusters and the VxVM volume manager and Solaris metadevices.
While I do love being cutting edge those two are still pretty widely used and ZFS has a number of issues that need to be reso
Ramune
Mar 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: computer
The second edition was great -- the latter ones, not so much.

Pros of the second edition: Explained how to do common tasks in a way that made the mindset of the UNIX variant clear, letting one understand how things worked under the hood.

Cons of the latter editions: It ended up becoming more of a chatty cookbook, so the materials in there were not very helpful in understanding how things worked and why they were that way.
J. Boo
Apr 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fine; it's likely quite dated now but back when I was wearing an onion on my belt and admining refrigerator-sized Unix systems with hundreds of concurrent users, this 2nd edition of the guide was an exceptional reference, not just for the technical value, but because it was so readable. Evi Nemeth's death was a great loss.
Jon williams
Jul 11, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: work-reference
This is the best book that I have found for all around *nix administration. Its a bit worn and out of date but I haven't had a need to get a more recent addition (I don't do much *nix admin anymore). It is one of my few technical books that I am happy to leave on my shelf.
Jason Canon
Feb 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the best UNIX reference book available.
TK Keanini
Apr 10, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book for system administrators.
Yitzchak
Apr 28, 2011 rated it really liked it
Fun, classic; a bit more than I needed as the single admin of a library web server (Ubuntu).
Scott Gardner
Apr 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The Bible for Unix Admins.
Aleksey Abramov
Dec 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Well it's a classic, I think. I always recommend it.
Viaden
Nov 03, 2008 added it
UNIX. Руководство системного администратора. Для профессионалов
Sean
Feb 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
Good for starting at the beginning of a Unix adventure and pertinent now that so much of the web, apple Oscar etc is underpinned by it.
Altivo Overo
Nov 01, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: technology
Growing more dated now, but still valuable especially for those who must manage or administer UNIX and Linux type systems from the command line.
Jeremy
Sep 29, 2007 rated it really liked it
If you want to get a great overview of what it is to be a system administrator, this book is for you.
Voot

• sed & awk
  • The UNIX Programming Environment
  • The AWK Programming Language
  • Operating Systems Design and Implementation
  • The Implementation (TCP/IP Illustrated, Volume 2)
  • Advanced Perl Programming
  • Practical UNIX & Internet Security
  • Practical C Programming
  • Java in a Nutshell

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »