Start by marking “Python Programming for the Absolute Beginner” as Want to Read:
Python Programming for the Absolute Beginner

Python Programming for the Absolute Beginner

3.87  ·  Rating details ·  356 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews

If you are new to programming with Python and are looking for a solid introduction, this is the book for you. Developed by computer science instructors, books in the For the absolute beginner series teach the principles of programming through simple game creation. You will acquire the skills that you need for more practical Python programming applications and yo
Paperback, Second Edition, 472 pages
Published November 8th 2005 by Course Technology PTR (first published July 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Python Programming for the Absolute Beginner, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Python Programming for the Absolute Beginner

I actually self-taught myself computer programming with this book. The text is easy to understand and follow, even for beginners. Concepts are presented clearly and concisely and with a bit of humor. The exercises are challenging, but not impossible. This book won't turn you into a coding guru, but it teaches you the basics of how computer programs work.
Dec 21, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was my third "go" at trying to grasp Python. The first was via an online tutorial, the second was from a different book that I had borrowed. I felt this book did a better job than the tutorial of teaching the fundamentals and was much better than the other text. A big strength was the end of chapter questions and projects. It forced me to really learn some concepts that I wouldn't otherwise have grasped. I now have a better feel for Object Oriented Programming than I did before. The book wa ...more
May 19, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: programming
I love the challenges this book has at the end of a chapter.

This book is great, right up until you reach chapter 8, software objects. Why did the introduction of object-oriented programming made this book a joy to read into a headache. Read on...

Credit to the author, Python is a very big OOP language and you get to start making things and solving the problems (actually learning how to solve and code) straight away, but do understand Python can be programmed procedurally, without the headache of
Nov 16, 2009 rated it really liked it
Python is a high-level programming language built on the philosophy of making easily readable code. While it usually carries a performance penalty compared to some other languages, I think the coding process is a lot friendlier with Python.

This book gives a good tour of the language, in an interesting way, by working through multiple video game programs.
Oct 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Главы 1-8 и 10 представляют собой отличное пособие для самостоятельного изучения языка python. Глава 9 содержит нужную информацию, которая подается в излишне сложной форме; если ее упростить, будет тоже неплохой материал. А вот главы 11 и 12 явно не для "absolute beginner", они в этой книге лишние, особенно если учитывать проблемы с установкой и работой предлагаемых автором модулей для них.
Andreas Kontokanis
Dec 18, 2016 rated it liked it
When I started the book I liked it very much. I was thinking why people give only 3 stars to a book that is so good that take you by the hand and makes you a programmer. I like the way that starts with showing examples and makes programs that they are simple enough and the challenges that you try to solve.
But as it went on I understood why only 3 starts. When it is getting to serious things as objects, classes and after with graphics and games it is a bad cookbook.
The examples for objects were
Sep 27, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was the assigned reading for an introduction-to-programming class that I recently completed.

I am one of the "absolute beginners" referred to in the book's title. :) The tone was enthusiastic and encouraging throughout the chapters. I would recommend this book to other absolute-beginner programmers.
Feb 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
It was really helpful in getting know python. Simple to understand with increasing complexity.
I'd like to learn about Django insted of Pygame and get more about GUI but even now this book was great.
Sep 14, 2009 rated it it was ok
Okay as a basic introduction but not something I would refer back to.
Александр Ефремов
This book so simple. I think that book for 6 ears old kids.
Jun 04, 2016 marked it as to-read
Thea Steele
Way too easy; I'm moving on.
Jun 04, 2008 marked it as to-read
Shelves: own-it, on-lend, reference
Lent to: Mark Stewart

And I have Dan L's copy
John Nicpon
Jun 13, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent intro to Python and to how to properly code.
Oct 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book combined with Codecademy is now my recommendation to anyone interested in learning programming
Nov 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
Problem based learning, fun, easy to follow, absolutely for beginner.
Good book for kids and everybody, especially who have failed Python or programming before.
May 18, 2013 rated it liked it
A solid introduction, and one I would recommend as a first Python book. I liked the way used simple examples suitable for further experimentation.
Apr 01, 2009
Sep 01, 2012
Aug 04, 2015
Ibrahim Uzar
Feb 15, 2016
rated it did not like it
Jan 08, 2015
Sep 22, 2012
Chris King
May 15, 2014
Bob Verkerk
Feb 07, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Beginning Python: From Novice to Professional
  • Python Essential Reference (Developer's Library)
  • Think Python
  • Programming in Python 3: A Complete Introduction to the Python Language
  • Node.js in Action
  • Python Programming: An Introduction to Computer Science
  • Pro Html5 Programming: Powerful APIs for Richer Internet Application Development
  • Programming Python
  • The Quick Python Book
  • Hello World! Computer Programming for Kids and Other Beginners
  • Bash Cookbook: Solutions and Examples for Bash Users
  • Python in a Nutshell
  • Beginning Programming with Java for Dummies
  • Head First Python
  • Classic Shell Scripting: Hidden Commands that Unlock the Power of Unix
  • Effective Objective-C 2.0: 52 Specific Ways to Improve Your IOS and OS X Programs
  • Gray Hat Python: Python Programming for Hackers and Reverse Engineers
  • Object-Oriented JavaScript

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »

• A Room of One's Own
  • Life in a Medieval City
  • Untangled: Guiding Teenage Girls Through the Seven Transitions into Adulthood
    $12.99 $1.99
  • Weekends at Bellevue: Nine Years on the Night Shift at the Psych E.R.
  • Triggers: Creating Behavior That Lasts--Becoming the Person You Want to Be