Start by marking “Squirrel's New Year's Resolution” as Want to Read:
Squirrel's New Year's Resolution

Squirrel's New Year's Resolution

3.6  ·  Rating details ·  223 Ratings  ·  52 Reviews
"Do you know how to make a resolution?" Squirrel asked Bear. "Is it like making a snack?"

Bear laughed. "Resolutions are more important than snacks."

"More important than snacks?" said Squirrel. "What is a resolution?"

Squirrel knows that New Year's Day is a great day for making resolutions! But what does it mean to make a resolution, anyway? As she makes visits around the fo
Published September 1st 2010 by Albert Whitman Company

To ask other readers questions about Squirrel's New Year's Resolution, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Squirrel's New Year's Resolution

Calista
My kids love animals - so this was a good story for them. It's a great book about making a New Year's Resolution and what that is. Squirrel doesn't know how to make one and goes around to her friends who all have one. She is a helpful squirrel.

The art is sweet and the story is soft with no hard edges.

This is a good New Year's story!
Mariah
Dec 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was a cute story that explain what a resolution is very well! A great read to help your child and/or students understand making a New Year's resolution.
Jen Ƹ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ
Dec 31, 2015 rated it really liked it
A cute story with adorable illustrations about new year's resolutions.
Kathleen
Dec 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
A delightful tale with beautiful illustrations!
Jessica
Dec 18, 2013 rated it liked it
I grabbed this book because I did doing a "holiday stories and crafts time" at the library, and I wanted some books that weren't just Christmas stories (so I thought Kwanzaa and New Year's, because Hanukkah was last month). Squirrel's New Year's Resolution seemed to fit the bill, but Shante Keys and the New Year's Peas worked better. Squirrel's New Year's Resolution is about Squirrel, who hears on the radio about new year's resolutions. "What is a resolution?" he wonders. "Is it a snack?" He set ...more
Storywraps
Jan 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This wonderful story is a perfect catalyst to get kid's (and adults) thinking about what they would want to do differently in the new year that is before them.

Squirrel pins up her brand new 2017 calendar and the voice on the radio says, "It's January first." " A great day to make a resolution." What the heck is a resolution she asks herself? She's never ever heard of one before.

Squirrel decides to make this brand new day, of this brand new month, and this brand new year a visiting day to her m
Angie
Dec 29, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture
Meh. Impulse Amazon buy when I realized oh! I need a lesson for next week and I can't remember if I penciled anything in. It's OK for what it is but I wish I'd just had access to a library copy.
Lesley
Dec 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
cute new years story
Katy
Dec 02, 2017 rated it it was ok
As advertised.
Lindsey Mineweaser
Mar 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This story is about a squirrel who is excited that it is January first. Squirrel learns what a New Year’s resolution and sets out to make one for herself. Along the way, she helps Skunk feel better, Mole and Turtle plant a garden, and Porcupine tell jokes. Squirrel feels sad that she is the only one without a New Year’s resolution. However, Rabbit tells Squirrel that she made a resolution without knowing it. Squirrel’s resolution is to help someone every single day.

This book has a fantastic less
Kim
Nov 12, 2010 rated it liked it
Grades PS-2

Squirrel hears on the radio that New Year's Day is a great day to make resolutions but doesn't know what one is. Once she finds out, she is determined to make a resolution of her own, but she can't think of anything. Along the way, she helps several of her friends, and realizes by the end of the story that she can use her natural inclination toward helping her friends to resolve to help someone every day. While the story is a little on the preachy side, it is a good conversation star
Ina
Jan 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: storytime-reads
Squirrel learns that on January 1 everyone should make a resolution…but he doesn't know what that is. Through wonderful illustrations and a medium amount of text (there are a number of jokes thrown in, so my story time audience followed through to the end) Squirrel visits friends to try and find out what these "resolutions" are, so that he can make one. My story time audience especially loved the jokes, like these two:
'why did the surreal run back and forth across the road? Because he was nuts!
Molly Robbins
This would be a good book to use for your students (K-5) at the end of the semester in December to talk about New Year's Resolutions. This book does a good job of explaining clearly of what it is and how you can learn to come up with one of your own. For an activity AND extension, you could have the children come up with their own New Year's Resolutions and have them write about it and how they are going to accomplish it. This is great for character building, making goals for THEMSELVES, and wor ...more
Janna
Jun 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
Who: 1st to 3rd
This was a fun, cute story that introduces what a New Year's Resolution is. The animal characters in the story (bear, turtle, mole, etc.) are all happily illustrated and portrayed as helpful and kind to eachother. In the end Squirrel realizes he made a resolution after all "Your actions are better than words. It looks like you resolved to help someone every day." Good way to start the conversation: How can we help people each day?
Bvlmc Buchanan Verplanck Elementary School
When squirrel hears the newscaster urge people to make a New Year's resolution, he sets off to for the library to learn what a resolution is. As squirrel visits his friends, and helps them out with a variety of things, he finds out all of them have New Year's resolutions too! Squirrel continues on his way, all the while thinking about what kind of New Year's resolution he should make. What kind of New Year's resolution do you think squirrel will think up?
Edward Creter
Squirrel is a little girl who "feels like a nut" and wants to find meaning in life. All she has to ask is: "What's a resolution? Can you make a resolution like you would a snack?" Boy will she get a snack! She will learn as other fictional characters have before her that acts of kindness come from inside, and THAT, my friends, is the best New Year's Resolution to make! Commitment to kindness is the key. Now you can use it to open new doors.
Danielle
Sep 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: squirrels, childrens
Squirrel wants to make a resolution for the new year. She visits her friends to find they have all already made resolutions and are trying to keep them. I like how this book shows how much impact Squirrel has on her friends, without her realizing it. Also, I love how Bear the librarian is the first friend she visits!
Colleen
Jul 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
Cute New Year's story to help children understand the meaning of the word "Resolution". The author uses a great way to explanin the word-“a resolution is a promise you make to yourself to be better or to help others.”
Karen
Jan 04, 2017 rated it liked it
It is good to have a book about New Year's and resolutions. This book could have been better. In fact, this book could have been MUCH better. But, if you need a book about New Year's and resolutions, it might be worth checking this book out from the library.
Jackie
Jun 01, 2012 rated it liked it
Squirrel has a hard time coming up with a New Year's Resolution especially when all his animal friends have already made theirs. When he begins to help out with each of them, he finds he has made a resolution without even thinking about it.

Tam
Jun 11, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: holiday, manners
This was a pretty cute story for my 8-year-old. He didn't know what it meant to make a resolution so we were able to read the book and talk about it. It was nice to see the ways Squirrel helped people and how they really appreciated it.
Tiffany
Feb 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
I like stories when animals are like humans and have a community, like a diner and a library. This was a good way to talk about New Years resolutions.
Miss Smith
May 15, 2012 rated it it was ok
eh...ok
Lesson ideas:
Obviously..first book after the winter break. Talk about making resolutions. check on them later. Write and illustrate
Munteeomibe
Jan 04, 2012 added it
Recommended to Munteeomibe by: munteeomibe
Kathryn
Dec 12, 2013 rated it liked it
I'm not into New Year's resolutions at all. This book took the concept and made it into something squirrel did naturally and I liked that.
Leah
Jun 14, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: for-the-kids
Cute book about helping friends which introduces kids to the idea of a new year's resolution.
Cian
Jan 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This moves from a 3 start to 5 star by age 4 when he really understood it. He even made his own NY resolution after this book. Good moral about NY resolutions for us all! Help people!
Edward Sullivan
Jan 13, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Great book to share at the beginning of every New Year.
Hilary
Mar 02, 2011 rated it it was ok
Reminds me of the girl who gave up watermelon for Lent...
Joellen Mccarthy
Aug 03, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: k-2, mentor-texts
Kicking off the year with reading or writing resolutions? Great text that helps with conversation- what is a resolution?
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • The Runaway Wok: A Chinese New Year Tale
  • Compost Stew
  • Levi Strauss Gets a Bright Idea: A Fairly Fabricated Story of a Pair of Pants
  • Fancy Nancy: There's No Day Like a Snow Day
  • Elf on the Shelf (The Elf on the Shelf: A Christmas Tradition, Volume 1)
  • Charlie's Superhero Underpants