Start by marking “Remembrance of Things Past Volumes 1-3 Box Set” as Want to Read:
Remembrance of Things Past Volumes 1-3 Box Set

Remembrance of Things Past Volumes 1-3 Box Set (À la recherche du temps perdu #1-7)

4.35  ·  Rating details ·  8,125 Ratings  ·  437 Reviews
The definitive French Pleiade edition translated by C. K. Scott Moncrieff and Terence Kilmartin.Volume I - Swann's Way, Within A Budding Grove.Volume II - The Guermantes Way, Cities Of The Plain.Volume III - The Captive, The Fugitive, Time Regained.
Published August 12th 1982 by Vintage (first published 1927)

Manny
When you read Proust, and learn to appreciate his extraordinary, dreamy, hypnotic, truly inimitable style (this review is a mere shadow on the wall of a Platonic cave), which succeeds in making the syntax of language, usually as invisible as air, into a tangible element, so that, like literary yogis, we may feel, for the first time, how enjoyable the simple activity of reading, like breathing, can be; and discover the delights of sentences which took the author days to construct and us an hour t ...more
Jessica
Jul 31, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: recherchers of temps perdu; rememberers of things past; snobs; size queens
I took today off work because I need to put everything I own into boxes so I can move tomorrow, but obviously I can't begin doing that until I get some of these obsessive thoughts about Proust out of my system. I mean, can I? Nope. I can't! After all, this house is where I read Proust -- wait, I read Swann's Way before I moved here, which is pretty nuts to think about -- and so how can I move without reviewing the whole thing?

I do feel pretty traumatized after finishing this book. Sort of shells
Ben
Dec 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Why did Proust have to write a 4000 page novel, especially when there is not any discernable, coherent plot? Was it really necessary to have those extended society scenes, some of which lasted for 150 pages or so? Couldn’t the whole thing have been tightened up a little and cut down to 1000 pages or so?

I asked myself these questions at various points over the nine months it took me to journey through Proust’s masterpiece. It was not until the final two volumes (and particularly the latter half
Manny
Celebrity Death Match Special: In Search of Lost Time versus Harry Potter

The francophone world was stunned by today's release of papers, sealed by Proust for 100 years after publication of the initial volume of his famous series, which finally reveal his original draft manuscripts. In the rest of this review, you can find out what Proust's books looked like before his well-meaning but unworldly editor decided that French literateurs would prefer something slightly different.

(view spoiler)
Elena
Nov 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“We do not receive wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can make for us, which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world. The lives that you admire, the attitudes that seem noble to you, have not been shaped by a paterfamilias or a schoolmaster, they have sprung from very different beginnings, having been influenced by evil or commonplace that prevailed round them. They re ...more
Petra
May 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I finished this work. Each book is reviewed below. The only question left is "Was it worth it?". Was it worth 10 months of working my way through this opus? Was it worth what I got out of it?
The answer is a definite Yes.
Yes, there were times where it was an effort to read another page. Yes, there were times that it was mesmerizing and I didn't want to put it down. Yes, it was funny. Yes, it was sad. Mostly it was profound, thoughtful and very universal. It speaks to all people because it speak
Darwin8u
Jul 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: aere-perennius, 2013
description

The first volume of 'In Search of Lost Time' (ISoLT), or 'Remembrance of Things Past' (RoTP), or 'À la recherche du temps perdu' (Merde mère un autre?) was first published in France 100 years ago this month. I started reading in February, and now end this beast in November. Apparently, I needed a little wind-up to start and if the last 12 hours is any indication, I will need a wee bit of time to settle down from the mess Proust has left in my head.

This is a book that feels like a hypnotic river
Roy Lotz
In reality, every reader is, while he is reading, the reader of his own self. The writer’s work is merely a kind of optical instrument which he offers the reader to enable him to discern what, without this book, he would perhaps never have perceived in himself.

I struggled with Proust, on and off, for three years. I read these books sitting, standing, lying down, in cars and on trains, waiting in airports, on commutes to work, relaxing on vacation. Some of it I read in New York, some in Madrid,
Roberta
Jan 25, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: francesi, 1001
Questa non è una recensione, ce ne sono in giro già abbastanza. Anzi, ciò che è stato scritto a proposito della Recherce supera di gran lunga il numero di pagine della Recherche stessa. Inoltre, se continuano ad esserci lettori che macinano con gioia le 2000 e più pagine del romanzo, un motivo ci sarà: è bello.
Quindi mi limito a lasciare qui qualche appunto, pensieri che mi vengono in mente durante la lettura.

DALLA PARTE DI SWANN

Ho sempre associato questa prima parte alla primavera e anche ogg
Travelling Sunny
Jul 29, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 1305-read, nook, january
In another LIST book (1Q84) it was said that unless you have the opportunity to be in jail or have to hide out for a long time, you can't read the whole of In Search of Lost Time.

photo challengeaccepted_zps78343d71.png

Volume 1. Swann’s Way (★★★★☆)
Volume 2. Within a Budding Grove (★★★☆☆)
Volume 3. The Guermantes Way (★★☆☆☆)
Volume 4. Cities of the Plain (★★★★★)
Volume 5. The Captive (★★★★★)
Volume 6. The Fugitive (★★★★☆)
Volume 7. Time Regained (★★★★★)

photo Challengecompleted_zps913edfb4.png
What are your 10 Best Books? 4 29 Oct 16, 2017 06:43PM
In Search of Lost Time vs Harry Potter 2 14 Feb 12, 2017 08:19PM
Reading Proust's ...: Rereading Within a Budding Grove 32 22 Sep 03, 2014 10:27AM
challenge 1 10 Aug 20, 2014 01:46PM
Marcel Proust: In Search of lost time in one volume 7 77 Dec 14, 2013 11:15AM
The Year of Readi...: Harold Bloom on Marcel Proust 4 140 Sep 13, 2013 05:19AM
The Year of Readi...: Members' art and writing inspired by ISOLT 79 139 Apr 22, 2013 10:03AM
  • Paintings in Proust: A Visual Companion to In Search of Lost Time
  • Marcel Proust's Search for Lost Time: A Reader's Guide to The Remembrance of Things Past
  • Proust and Signs: The Complete Text
  • Lost Illusions (La Comédie Humaine)
  • Monsieur Proust's Library
  • Marcel Proust: A Life
  • Buddenbrooks: The Decline of a Family
  • Berlin Alexanderplatz
  • Darconville’s Cat
French novelist, best known for his 3000 page masterpiece À la recherche du temps perdu (Remembrance of Things Past or In Search of Lost Time), a pseudo-autobiographical novel told mostly in a stream-of-consciousness style. Born in the first year of the Third Republic, the young Marcel, like his narrator, was a delicate child from a bourgeois family. He was active in Parisian high society during t ...more
More about Marcel Proust...

À la recherche du temps perdu (7 books)
  • Swann's Way (In Search of Lost Time, #1)
  • In the Shadow of Young Girls in Flower (In Search of Lost Time, #2)
  • The Guermantes Way  (In Search of Lost Time, #3)
  • Sodom and Gomorrah (In Search of Lost Time, #4)
  • La Prisonnière (À la recherche du temps perdu, #5)
  • Albertine disparue (À la recherche du temps perdu, #6)
  • Time Regained (In Search of Lost Time, #7)
“Love is a striking example of how little reality means to us.” 548 likes
“If a little dreaming is dangerous, the cure for it is not to dream less, but to dream more, to dream all the time.” 417 likes