Start by marking “Mind Over Matter (Delta Expedition)” as Want to Read:
Mind Over Matter (Delta Expedition)

Mind Over Matter (Delta Expedition)

4.02  ·  Rating details ·  189 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews
Mind Over Matter is the death-defying and bone-chilling account of Fiennes's most remarkable achievement. For 1,350 miles at a rate of 14 miles a day, Fiennes and his partner Dr. Michael Stroud trudged across Antarctica. But the expedition's world records for both the longest unsupported polar journey and the first unsupported crossing of Antarctica came at an incredible c ...more
Published August 1st 1995 by Delta (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Mind Over Matter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mind Over Matter

Matthew Shoe
Mar 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
I loved this book. A gripping account of a real life adventure. I think it was written to simply relay an amazing survival story, not as a masterpiece of literature. Some reviewers (arm chair critics) have dissed this book as just another account of a mediocre antarctic trek. This could not be further from the truth. The calculations and tradeoffs one has to make in order to go on a journey like this are astounding. A great read!
Jan
May 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great read and it zips along pretty briskly, as did the two adventurers.
Plenty of hard facts and figures for those that want them, but also lots of insight into the personal and physical dynamics of a 2 man trek. Interesting diary quotes from two perspectives but these are also tempered by saying that they can be used asa relief valve to avoid personal confontations under stressful circumstances. An amazing feat of human strength entirely unsupported and using only manpower. On top of all that,
Raina
Nov 17, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
A bit dry but very interesting none-the-less
Paul Brogan
Aug 31, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: travel
Fiennes tells the story of his expedition to Antarctica with Dr. Mike Stroud. In November 1992 Fiennes and Stroud, both veteran British polar explorers, set out to achieve the first unsupported crossing of Antarctica. This arduous journey, fraught with the hazards of Antarctic weather and terrain, broken equipment, and medical problems, came to an end 95 days and 1350 miles later, after the two had successfully crossed Antarctica (though not the entire Ross Ice Shelf). The account reveals a jour ...more
Myka
Jun 25, 2008 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: people who need advice about how NOT to travel in Antarctica
Recommended to Myka by: Nick Johnson
Here, Fiennes gives account of his unsupported expedition roundtrip to the South Pole from Patriot Hills (coast) in Antarctica. His partner on the journey, Mike Stroud, wrote a similar testimony Shadows on the Wasteland that I did not read.

Unfortunately, Fiennes' story only adds another stanza in a long litany of Antarctic psuedo-tragedies. I say 'psuedo' because the struggles often seem caused less by the continent's perils than by the hubris and short-sightedness of those who travel it. Team
da-wildchildz
Sep 07, 2013 rated it liked it
A single storm could have wiped us out, mind over matter notwithstanding, but Antarctica suffered our passing as a giant that allows a fly to crawl across his face.

Last line from Mind over Matter by Ranulph Fiennes but not really, since appendices follow that particular line. Interesting appendices, I might add. They’re definitely worth a read and explain more about the Antarctic adventure and polar exploration in general.

The relationship between Fiennes and Stroud reminded me of Ewan McGregor
Wendy Unsworth
Feb 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book! And I really admired Ranulph Feinnes and Mike Stroud. I have always enjoyed reading about adventurers. I know some people consider this kind of effort pointless but not me! There are plenty of things I wouldn't do (bungee jumping, pot holing) just because it really doesn't appeal but lots of other things I would, if I had the chance.
I found the account of the relationship between the two men fascinating as well as their tenacity and determination in completeing the task they
Joshua Pearl
Dec 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
Ran Fiennes provide a really interesting insight into Antarctic and more general endurance travel.

The book can at times feel a little monotonous - I woke up, it hurt, saw some crevasses, lost some weight. I went to bed, woke up, it hurt, saw some crevasses, lost some weight...

But by far the most interesting component of the book was the pyschological interplay between the two explorers, Fiennes and Stroud.

The book could have done with a few more graphed stats in the body of the body to enable t
Joanne
Apr 09, 2015 rated it it was ok
I thought this book was okay, but definitely not the best of the books I've read about Antarctic crossings. Fiennes' book is good in that it chronicles an epic journey of endurance. The persistence and endurance of these two men was truly amazing, but I found the repetitious explanation of the toll on their physical bodies a little tedious and boring at times. I much preferred Gareth Wood's "South to the Pole: 900 miles on foot." I did enjoy the quotes from other Antarctic explorers that are inc ...more
Kim
Aug 01, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2010
I guess to walk across Antartica dragging everything you and your partner will need on sledges for over 100 days takes some kind of combination of crazy and arrogant. and the arrogant is evident in Fienne's story of how he and Mike Stroud did just that.

I was gripped though by how these men survived such awful conditions.
I don't really get why someone would want to do this - but maybe simply because it is there.

Glad I listened to this book - reminded me of the strength within us
Fraser
Apr 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book absolutely gripped me from start to finish.

Fiennes and Stroud's sheer grit and determination in attempting this crossing of the Antarctic land mass unaided and unpowered is simply astonishing.

This is a tale of endurance, hardship and desire.

If you like real adventure told by real adventurer's then this is a book to add to your list.
Jayne Charles
Jul 24, 2011 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this factual account of two men walking to the South Pole pulling giant sledges behind them. The writing was excellent, really conveyed the sense of living on the edge of civilization, not knowing whether you would even survive or not. The photographs of the resulting frostbite were pretty gruesome too!
Carole
Aug 08, 2013 added it
I couldnt put this book down. I am an armchair adventurer but I have been to Antarctica (but on the comfort of an eco-tour) & couldnt imagine being out there just 'alone' with friend. It was exceptional I thought. I read it years ago.
Alan Porter
Mar 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
The closest thing you can get to the privations and pain of a polar expedition (doing it properly, unsupported and on foot) without actually getting cold - though you will feel some of that cold as you read it. Fiennes is a remarkable storyteller.
Diana
Nov 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shouldn't start reading books like this t midnight, can't put it down. Though the pictures are a little gruesome. And I wish he'd at least worn pants in tne photo of his emaciated body.... Excellent reading so far though, makes you appreciate how pathetic your endeavours are in comparison.
Kay
Jul 08, 2010 rated it really liked it
I was interested in what drives a person to want to put themselves through such "hell". The title says it, it is a physical challenge to say the least, but to survive, it is an unbelievable mental challange.
Matt
Dec 26, 2007 rated it really liked it
the crazy thing is that I read this book, which is about a trak acrossed Antarctica, and now here I am, in Antarctica. He mentions an all women team that was skiing acrossed the contient the same season as him, one of those women currently works down here.
Muyiwa Gbenga-Oluwatoye
Jun 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Read this book 21 years ago and all the elements stuck to me....and thinking of the unimaginable power of the mind to overcome and surpass any hinderance is awesome.....
Elaine
Jan 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: exploration
Inspiring
Jim
Dec 30, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: autobiography
The man is a nutter and this book goes some way toward proving it. A good read from 1999.
Mike
Mar 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
"Can two people walk together except they be agreed?" -Amos
Christyl
Nov 14, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good read.....I never want to go to the Artic
S
second cousin to Ralph
dumb book about English pride
they fail at everything, even if they are the first to attempt
Chris F
  • Cherry: A Life of Apsley Cherry-Garrard
  • An Unsung Hero: Tom Crean - Antarctic Survivor
  • South with Endurance: Shackleton's Antarctic Expedition 1914-1917
  • The Coldest March: Scott's Fatal Antarctic Expedition
  • East and West: The Last Governor of Hong Kong on Power, Freedom and the Future
  • All in One Basket
  • Last Hours on Everest
  • Daughters of Britannia: The Lives and Times of Diplomatic Wives
  • By Permission of Heaven: The True Story of the Great Fire of London
Sir Ranulph Twisleton-Wykeham-Fiennes, 3rd Baronet, OBE, better known as Ranulph (Ran) Fiennes, is a British adventurer and holder of several endurance records.

Fiennes has written books about his army service and his expeditions as well as a book defending Robert Falcon Scott from modern revisionists. In May 2009, aged 65, he climbed to the summit of Mount Everest. According to the Guinness Book o
More about Ranulph Fiennes