Start by marking “If You're Not First, You're Last: Sales Strategies to Dominate Your Market and Beat Your Competition” as Want to Read:

During economic contractions, it becomes much more difficult to sell your products, maintain your customer base, and gain market share. Mistakes become more costly, and failure becomes a real possibility for all those who are not able to make the transition. But imagine being able to sell your products when others cannot, being able to take market share from both your comp ...more
Published June 1st 2010 by Wiley (first published May 27th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about If You're Not First, You're Last, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about If You're Not First, You're Last

Start your review of If You're Not First, You're Last: Sales Strategies to Dominate Your Market and Beat Your Competition
Bryan Doughty
May 06, 2014 rated it did not like it
This is an audio book review:

The ugly first:

To all authors, if your diction stinks or you cannot pronounce words find someone else to read your book.

If you challenge the listener to look up words in a dictionary to make sure they understand what you write/speak, make sure YOU can pronounce the words.

Under no circumstances should an author ever claim Columbus sailed on the Mayflower.

This book is a pure old school sales book. Annoying would be an understatement. The author is the sales person I ru
Carl
Feb 21, 2019 rated it did not like it
One of Hercules' Labors was to clean out the entire Augean Stables in one day. Reading this book I was envious of Hercules because he had to deal with less crap than readers of this book. Though some of the advice might be useful to anyone who needs to be told to try and develop a relationship with a client in order to be successful, most of us should have learned that already. It's also far more effective when the advice is not given by someone consumed by self-interest and "winning." It's more ...more
Renata R.
Mar 29, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
I picked out this one just because it was on Scribd Selects of the month and I figured it could bring me some insight. Oh boy, I had no idea of how irritated I was going to be.

I was going to rate it 1 star, but since I heard the audiobook I decided otherwise. It gets 1 star for a couple of ideas that are good and could change how you deal with your job and the world around it and 1 star because Grant has a passion for what he is preaching even though I didn't like most of it.
If I had read the b
Arne
Aug 06, 2015 rated it it was ok
Nuggets of gold in a sea of hubris.

So, if there was a case study on why people hate Americans I wouldn't be surprised if Grant Cardone came up. It's not often that just by listening to someone you realise that they are real assholes. Some keepers were "be irrational, illogical, put the freak on them, man, you know, shrinking economy, advance and conquer, etc etc". And he really lost me when he started quoting L.Ron.Hubbard.

But, to be honest, he is what he is. Unrepentant positively sales orient
April Kyle Nassi
May 31, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: schipulite
Great read; quick and easy with lots of good practical tips for the sales team. Recommend!
Matt Leiv
Jan 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Written with a focus on economic downturns in the industry, it applies in any market environment. The main focus is to become independent in your pursuit of success. Like many books focused on "sales", it can apply to any industry, and emphasizes that point repeatedly. If you work with people, you are in sales. Grant's sign off at the end of the book "May the actions you take daily set a good example for those around you". ...more
Anastasia
Jan 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Talk about a motivational book! I really loved it. It brought things into perspective for me like never before and clarified things that I was doing. Loved it! I will definitely be rereading this book often
Samantha
Apr 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Even though this was written nine years ago, it is still relevant now. The economy is doing a bit better than it was nine years ago but these concepts all still apply. Although the book may seem repetitive at times, I think it was a necessary repetitiveness. Mr. Cardone hits hard on making things happen for yourself, regardless of the environment that is currently available. I appreciate his words on having a 'Middle-class Mindset'. I never really thought about this being a state of mind but aft ...more
Adam
Aug 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
To describe Grant Cardone the first thing that came to mind is a human firework then I thought 10x he's the grand finale except it's not the grand finale he's the grand finale for the entire show. Reignite being in control of your future; read this book!

Nuggets of Truth:

Doom is the time to bloom
Wealth equity
Advance n conquer
Take your tentacles and grab the entire market to yourself
He's so rich it's incredible
Call a brotha upp
Contacts turn to contracts
Move them up in the buying process
Push
Waseem
Mar 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Not sure why some people rated this poorly, especially with reasons like the authors dictation of the audio version of the book? - it’s his energy and drive ( authors ) that makes this special.

Clearly talented and tells it how it is ... I enjoyed this book which not only highlights how to do sales which generates sales - whether you believe it’s the right way or not - this is real like stuff without the theory fluff which is so common in other so called “sales programs”

I would have given it 5 st
Fabrizio Poli
Jan 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is a great book on sales. I would say this is a book more about strategy than tactics. Grant Cardone talks about not competing in the market but setting-up a plan to dominate. He talks about not reducing your prices but adding value for your customers, a philosophy I 100% agree with.

In the world of online business Grant Cardone advocates visiting potential clients in person in order to build the relationship. Then you need to follow-up and never take no for an answer, keep investing in the
RJ Martino
Feb 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Let me make it clear that I really like Grant Cardone. I just read 10X and reading two books of his in the same month was a little intense. It feels like hanging out with that friend that has a TON of energy 24/7... Or, going to Vegas for a full week. It's great... I would recommend it. But, it's intense. If you want a jump start or a reason to get started, listen to this book.

It could be seen as a period piece because it talks a lot about growing your business in a down economy. But, the messa
Edmund Ricker
Jan 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love this book and all of Grant's work. If you want advice from someone who has been there, this book is for you. I keep all of his books on Itunes and loop them on a daily basis to help keep myself focused on helping others. That in turn will lead to my business blowing up. ...more
Catherine
Mar 21, 2014 rated it liked it
The title is a bit misleading, as this book focused mainly on how to survive an economic downturn. A few interesting insights, but not much I haven't heard before. ...more
Lacey Capshaw
Apr 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Not only are you given the keys to success you’re given the steps to get there as well! Grant keeps you entertained the whole time ... never getting bored!
Brendan Barrett
Nov 04, 2018 rated it liked it
I'm listening to Grant Cardone books just to get in the mind of good ole GC.

Everyone knows he's the greatest salesman in the game. The man who can sell sand in the desert and water to a fish. He's here for you to give you a lil' pep talk on how to do the same. He's here with all his mispronunciations (including "futher" instead of "further"), tangents, rants, and Grant Cardone humor in the audio version. If you know, you know.

What's in this book? Well, Grant Cardone is in this book. He's on ever
Jorina Caparal
Mar 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
I listened to the Audio Book Version
This book is a mix of self-help and a few nuggets of gold for driving sales in an economic recession and even in a thriving economy. The writer was kind of hubristic as the other reviewers let out, but I don’t really care.
Overall, I loved his enthusiasm and all his unreasonable tactics, it was quite a breath of fresh air honestly. He spoke of the fundamentals of driving sales growth and how to make your company survive (he prefers thrive and being number 1 but
Andy Avellan
Jun 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
If you are not first, you’re last by @grantcardone
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
I wish Grant would read all my audiobooks, because it’s hard to get lost or not pay attention. I know Audiobooks are tough to keep up, but anything done by him has kept all my attention!
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
The book is basically about motivating you and teaching you how to start making calls and connecting with people. Yes, it’s a sales book. But it’s also a motivational book as to why you need to make these sales calls. 🤪
If you’re
Jeff Hennore
Dec 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: self-help, sales, money
I love Cardone! One observation I've made recently in listening to his books, however, is that a lot of it is much of the same. Even with that knowledge, this book is still phenomenal. He shares a ton of stories, both personal and those attributed to individuals society considers successful, which had me shift my mindset to that of competing, or being content with where I'm at, to the point where I am obsessed to become the best in any role in my life (e.g., husband, father, friend, etc). Thanks ...more
Michael Cabrera
Mar 13, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Anyone who reads this book and uses it as a guide will achieve what is laid out by Grant Cardone. I built a successful business and many of the elements that are in this book are spot on. It really does require for you to feel uncomfortable in many of the things that you need to do on a day to day basis, but that's what separates you from the mass. Read the book if your interested in succeeding in your financial endeavors. ...more
Costantine Plassaras
It's 70% motivational and 30% practical. It's also one easy to understand book wich has also a very good 30% practical advice with feedback questions at the end of each chapter. There, the reader can answer those questions if his comprehension of the chapter is good enough.

Sure enough, Grant's writing is for all people and I would definitely recommend it if you are new to sales! :)
Tina Dahmen
Oct 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Love him and his honest approach all the way through.
Disliked the kept mentioning and recommending books and courses by Scientology... 😕 Great you found your way in life - save it for yourself man.
Same as most of his other books, if you need a push or motivation, read it. If you follow most of his advice you will see more $$ on your account flying in.
Yavor Yanakiev
Mar 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A very good book on mastering your mindset and improving your sales.

There are also several specific things to do from the book that are also very effective - the things you say when you're calling a prospect and the easy to get a referral are some of the ones I've already implemented and they've worked really well.

I recommend the book for sure if you're a business owner or a sales person.
Helfren Filex
Jun 13, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: market
The goal to be the market first is to be the number one, first in order to be the echo behind the consumers mind. In order to top the market, you have to be number 1, if you are not number one, you are at a very bad disadvantage.

Disagree to the most offers. People who disagree tend to achieve things. No attention is worst than bad attention at all.

The book narrated by its own author Grant Cardone, is in a very motivational tone and beautiful to listen to.
Cy Soto
Jul 28, 2020 rated it did not like it
This is the second (and last) book of Grant Cardone that I have read. His style is very over-the-top and he comes across as an extremely unlikeable person. Some ideas put forth here may carry some validity but having to navigate through a sea of BS to obtain a grain of knowledge here and there is too much to ask of anyone.
L
Oct 28, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
While he is a questionable person, this book has some good tidbits in the same vein as 10x Rule. Very masculine and seem to be speaking to men. Be crazy, go all out and don't be reasonable. If you are looking for specific sales tactics this delivers very little. If you are looking for a motivation, possibly. If you want to support Cardone's ego, this is right for you. ...more
Stacheldraht
Mar 24, 2018 rated it did not like it
Completely useless piece of literary crap suitable only for wiping one's ass. A collection of banalities diluted by loads of bullshit and waffle. If there are any sound ideas, 10 pages will be enough to state them all and have an ample headroom after. ...more
remigius
Feb 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The power of commitment

This is a great book and of all that the author talked about the great message I got was this have the willingness to act unreasonably this is the secret for extraordinary results.
Kristijonas  Vasiliauskas
Sep 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I am a huge fan of Grant Cardone. I read everything about him. He is a great inspiration for me. Loved how obsessed he is with what he does. If you like people who are highly energetic ths is the right book for You
Kevin O Cruz Ojeda
Dec 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Salespeople who already have a client base
Shelves: sales
Out of all the books of Grant Cardone besides "The Closer's Survival Guide" this is the most practical one and I highly recommend this book.

***NOTE: This is more specifically for salespeople who already have a clientele, IT'S NOT for beginners***, at least that's my recommendation.
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Business Development 1 2 Dec 29, 2018 09:35PM

• Way of the Wolf: Become a Master Closer with Straight Line Selling
  • Rise and Grind: Outperform, Outwork, and Outhustle Your Way to a More Successful and Rewarding Life
  • The 10 Pillars of Wealth: Mind-Sets of the World's Richest People
  • Relentless: From Good to Great to Unstoppable
  • The Psychology of Selling: Increase Your Sales Faster and Easier Than You Ever Thought Possible
  • Sell It Like Serhant: How to Sell More, Earn More, and Become the Ultimate Sales Machine
  • SPIN Selling: Situation Problem Implication Need-payoff
  • Crushing It!: How Great Entrepreneurs Build Their Business and Influence—and How You Can, Too
  • Traction
  • Expert Secrets: The Underground Playbook for Finding Your Message, Building a Tribe, and Changing the World
  • Profit First: Transform Your Business from a Cash-Eating Monster to a Money-Making Machine
  • Unshakeable: Your Financial Freedom Playbook
  • Outwitting the Devil: The Secret to Freedom and Success
  • 80/20 Sales and Marketing: The Definitive Guide to Working Less and Making More
  • Zig Ziglar's Secrets of Closing the Sale
  • El negociador: Consejos para triunfar en la vida y en los negocios
  • Millionaire Success Habits: The Gateway To Wealth & Prosperity
  • Pitch Anything: An Innovative Method for Presenting, Persuading, and Winning the Deal
I am a NY Times Best Selling Author, internationally-recognized Sales Training Expert, Business Coach, and the Founder and CEO of 3 businesses: Cardone Training Technologies, Cardone Group, and Twin Capital Management. You may have seen me as the star and co-executive producer of a show, called TurnAround King.

In addition to speaking internationally to individuals, companies, and industry leaders

News & Interviews

Ciannon Smart has been holed up in her England home since the pandemic began a year ago, but by no means has she been idle. She’s been on...
“Problems are opportunities, and conquered opportunities equal money earned.” 1 likes