Start by marking “Переландра (Космически трилогия, #2)” as Want to Read:
Переландра (Космически трилогия, #2)

Переландра

(The Space Trilogy #2)

3.98  ·  Rating details ·  36,933 ratings  ·  2,078 reviews
Класическата "Космическа трилогия" ("Отвъд безмълвната планета", "Переландра" и "Онази грозна сила") е творба за възрастни с определени интелектуални нагласи, склонност към духовни прозрения и забележително въображение.

Клайв Стейпълс Луис, авторът и на "Хрониките на Нарния" е заел място в световната литература до вечните колоси Жул Верн, Хърбърт Дж. Уелс и Дж. Р. Толкин. В
Published 2009 by Сиела (first published 1943)

To ask other readers questions about Переландра, please sign up.
Ferrell I read Perelandra in 1976 before reading Out of the Silent Planet and fell in love immediately. I think Perelandra is the better of the two, so I'm…moreI read Perelandra in 1976 before reading Out of the Silent Planet and fell in love immediately. I think Perelandra is the better of the two, so I'm not sure I would have gone on to Perelandra if I had started with OOTS Planet, but I will never know. I do like OOTS.(less)
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Danna It felt familiar to me, too, I think because it follows the old classic pattern of science fiction in which a narrator regales us with a fantastical…moreIt felt familiar to me, too, I think because it follows the old classic pattern of science fiction in which a narrator regales us with a fantastical story of adventure that has already happened, and as such we already know that the participants live to tell the tale. This particular story also deals so obviously with classic themes and archetypes including good vs evil and other common allegorical explorations of Judeo-Christian philosophy. They say every story that can be told has already been told, it's simply a matter of variety in the specifics of style and detail and complexity. :-)(less)

·  36,933 ratings  ·  2,078 reviews

Manny
"James, does the name 'Perelandra' mean anything to you?"

"Yes, I believe so. Poetic name for the planet Venus. Inhabited by two analogues of Adam and Eve, living in a state of prelapsarian bliss. All sounds rather pleasant."

"Very good, James. However, we've received intelligence that SMERSH have infiltrated an agent, who is going to try to tempt the Eve-analogue. We want you to stop him."

"Well, as a boy, I always did enjoy stealing the odd apple."

"Don't be flippant, James."

"I find it's the most
Stephen
5.0 stars. I thought this was an AMAZING book. After liking Out of the Silent Planet, this novel blew me away. The theme of the book is a re-telling of the "Fall" of Adam and Eve using Venus (called Perelandra) as the setting. You can tell that C. S. Lewis was really "feeling" the prose as he wrote this and his passion for the work was evident throughout. I thought it read like lush poetry that was both powerful and emotional.

I was deeply impressed by this story and now look forward to reading
Douglas Wilson
Feb 23, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Great. Also read in January of 1990. And also read in April of 2009. Also read in January of 1985. Also read in July of 1980. Listened to it again on audio in 2015.
Megan Baxter
C.S. Lewis, I'm disappointed in you. And that's the first time that has happened. I don't share your religion, but it's never kept me from enjoying one of your books before. I have been in love with the Narnia books since first I read them. I enjoyed the first book in this series. I even enjoyed the start of the theological discussions in these books. And then I hated where they went.

Note: The rest of this review has been withdrawn due to the changes in Goodreads policy and enforcement. You can
Michael
Aug 14, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It is difficult to write a review about “Perelandra”. There is so much that could be said that it is hard to know where to begin. Its story is so rich, the imagery so beautiful, the underlying themes so profound and complex, its theology so full that no summary can do it justice. I would rather simply encourage everyone to read it and let each discover its joys for themselves. But since there is no reason for anyone to merely take my word for it, I will do my best to support my recommendation.

Th
Mike (the Paladin)
My favorite of the trilogy. Excellent.

The Space Trilogy by C.S. Lewis is a classic early science fiction read while at the same time being a more than excellent allegorical story of Christian faith. I'd say that if you aren't a Christian that won't keep you from enjoying the books. The allegory aside you will still get wonderful time tested S/F classic.

This volume gives a sort of retelling allegorically of the Genesis story, but with a difference. This book is (in my opinion) more than simply we
Liam Degnan
2.5 Stars .

So here's a fun fact: C.S. Lewis and J.R.R. Tolkien were the best of friends (Lewis even dedicated The Screwtape Letters to Tolkein). Lewis wrote this series because of a contest him and Tolkien had, in which one of them agreed to write a trilogy about Space Travel, while the other would write a trilogy about Time Travel. For Lewis, this series was the result . . . Tolkien, unfortunately, never actually finished his book on Time Travel haha.

When they first met, Lewis was a staunch
Paul Christensen
Speculative theology, in the shape of a trip to the Morning Star
With a portrait of the devil that reminds of Poe’s M. Valdemar.

Part of me sees this devil trope as a vile, obnoxious leftist
Bent on destroying folkways (for he derides the Venusian deftness

Which makes them avoid a certain island, something the Left would call
‘Essentialist’). But, really, hard to know how Lewis would scrawl

If he’d lived to the current era. Would he have been a Christian cuck,
Or would he have gone full Fourteen Word
Charles H
Aug 15, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Perelandra is the second of C.S. Lewis's space trilogy. In that universe, it is the name of the planet Venus - a beautiful sinless planet with life at its dawn. Perelandra is a passionate and fierce ocean world with awesome storms, golden sunlight, millions of floating islands, and critters to inhabit them. On Perelandra live only two sentient creatures: the King and the Queen. They rule the world as Adam and Eve. A philologist named Ransom is sent from Earth as God's representative with an unkn ...more
Celeste
Wow. Lewis crafted something so incredibly special in Perelandra. The theological depth found in Out of the Silent Planet, the first novel in this trilogy, was expanded and deepened in this second installment. However, the density of Lewis’s writing was much easier to navigate here, making for a more enjoyable story all around. It’s rare for a second book in a series to so far surpass the first book, but that is exactly what occurs in Lewis’s Space Trilogy.

Ransom, the hero of the trilogy, has a
David Mosley
Nov 08, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read in the following years:
2007
2015 (19-27 August)
Kat  Hooper
Dec 29, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
Originally posted at FanLit.

Perelandra is the second volume of C.S. Lewis’s SPACE TRILOGY and I liked it even better than Out of the Silent Planet, its predecessor. Cambridge professor Dr. Elwin Ransom is back on Earth and has told his friend Lewis about the adventures he had on the planet Mars and the supernatural beings he met there. When Ransom explains that there’s an epic battle between good and evil, that the planet Venus is about to play an important part, and that he’s been called to Ven
Nicholas Kotar
Jul 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Whatever you might think of the quality of the currently popular fantasy books, comic books/movies, and long-form TV offerings, one thing is for sure. Dark and grim is king right now.

Of course, judging by the news, there are good reason for this. Things are not going so well in places like Ukraine, Syria, Iraq. This election is more a cheap reality show than the choosing of the leader of the free world. Suicides and drug use are on the rise. There are few heroes to look up to, and most of our w
Alex
Jun 15, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
"In the name of The Father, The Son, and The Holy Ghost, here goes--I mean, Amen!" --Dr. Ransom, before throwing a rock in Satan's face.

The second book in C.S. Lewis' "Space Trilogy" was overall better than the first. My one caveat for tackling this trilogy is to prepare yourself for some hardcore contemplation of Christianity and its relationship to outer space--it's definitely not for everyone, but I'm enjoying it. Perelandra sees Dr. Ransom traveling to Venus (which is actually called Perelan
Julie Davis
Good Story 204. Julie and Scott were supposed to do whatever God asked on Perelandra, but they were distracted by apples and fixed lands. They are now waiting for a new assignment.

========

Just as with Out of the Silent Planet, I found the beginning of the book fairly uninviting. However, also just as in that book, having the audio helped me past that to the point where I was amazed at C.S. Lewis's imagination in the world of Perelandra. Simply astounding. I am also caught up in the story for its
Kathryn
Apr 21, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2000, 2009, reread-books, 2012
I re-read this book (the second book in the Space Trilogy) for at least the second time as the September selection for my Sci-Fi Fantasy Book Club (meeting on the evening of September 11, 2012). It seems that every time I read this book (which is much more theology and fantasy than it is science fiction) that I like it more.

The main character from Out of the Silent Planet, Dr. Elwin Ransom, returns once again in this book; he is sent to the planet Perelandra (Venus) by the Oyrasa of Malacandra (
Alana
Mar 30, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When I was a senior in high school, I decided to do my author paper on C. S. Lewis and choose to specifically emphasize this book. Of the three books in the space trilogy, this one would be my favorite. I love how Lewis takes a look back at what the garden of Eden might have been like while still avoiding being allegorical. I love how he throws in huge theological truths in a more understandable story form. There are points where I would differ from him theologically, but that does little to det ...more
raffaela
I had a similar experience with this one as I did with Out of the Silent Planet, which is to say I really enjoyed it. It was definitely slower and more intense than the first book, and had a very different flavor, but still very good in its own right. There's more here than can be grasped on a first reading, and so I will definitely be revisiting this at some point.
Y.K. Willemse
Jan 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Five stars for the world building alone. C. S. Lewis had incredible ability to put himself in a completely foreign situation. The plot was sterling too, with a stirring face off between good and evil.
Trice
Nov 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011, scifi-fantasy, audio
Maybe it's the audio version or maybe it's the timing, but this time around - my 2nd through the book - there are some thoughts that are really connecting at every level, in particular the horror of the Unman and of the Fallen and the understanding of the joy and freedom found in obedience to the one true God.

The one thing that's bothered me so far is that in a couple places Lewis almost seems to imply that we shouldn't be pushing for greater scientific understanding, or for space exploration. T
Hufflepuff Book Reviewer
Interesting tale, dampened for me by too much physical description
Angela Blount
A classic piece of speculative science fiction, drawn with a deep theological bent.

"...and it will seem to you the master movement. And the seeming will be true. Let no mouth open to gainsay it. There seems no plan because it is all plan: there seems no center because it is all center."

Lewis strikes a balance between continuation and stand-alone in this, the second book in his space trilogy. Unlike the first book, Out of the Silent Planet, he doesn’t pay tribute to the style of H. G. Wells--an
Jenny
Dec 03, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fred Warren
Oct 26, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
C.S. Lewis’ Perelandra is my favorite Christian science fiction novel. It’s the second book in his celebrated Space Trilogy, which chronicles the adventures of British philologist (language expert) Edwin Ransom as he travels between Earth, Mars, and Venus and discovers his fate is inextricably connected with events both physical and spiritual on all three worlds.

In Perelandra, Ransom is transported to Venus, “Perelandra,” a world of vast oceans and floating islands. There he meets Tinidril, a be
Kris
Absolutely amazing, life-changing book. Full of beautiful descriptions in tightly packed prose, built to hold great philosophical questions, all inside of science-fiction. I really felt it deserved quiet, meditative surroundings in order for the reader to properly take in all the ideas. I often grew impatient and frustrated because I wanted to finish it in this sort of surrounding, but I could never have that while reading for college.

While I can see how some readers might feel bogged down with
booklady
C.S. Lewis was a ‘contexualist’, that is, he very much saw, put and took things in their given context. As such, to properly appreciate the second of his Space Trilogy, Perelandra, it’s important to set the novel within the time period in which it first came to be.

Perelandra was published in 1943 when England had been at war for 4 long years and still had 2 more ahead of her, not to mention years of recovery after that. ‘A Voyage to Venus’ – as it is sometimes subtitled – was designed for a ver
David Gregg
So great! Lewis' thought screams from the pages of this book, as it does from "Out of the Silent Planet" (As of this writing, I have yet to read "That Hideous Strength," but it's next.) Just for the allegorically and dialogically _nonfiction value_ of this book alone (that is, nonfiction content in the form of symbolism and commentary by the narrator or conversation between fictional characters), it is an exceedingly worthy read!

--UPDATE February 15, 2012--
I really want to read this particular b
Jerry
Apr 17, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another masterful work by legendary author C. S. Lewis.
Amy
Oct 18, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: c-s-lewis
It was good and gave me a lot to think about, you can tell its by the same author as Narnia :D

Perfection is not an easy thing to grasp hold of. The very notion of good seems completely unfathomable, much less flawlessness. What might the world have been like before sin? What would it be like to think and live in absolute innocence?
C.S. Lewis takes a stab at these questions and more in his fascinating sequel to “Out of the Silent Planet” and second book in the “Space Trilogy”, with “Perelandra
Goodreads Librari...: Add reciprocal ACE info 3 12 Nov 17, 2018 08:09AM
Sci-fi Women: Perelandra - Book Discussion - Join in :) 1 13 Aug 24, 2015 03:31AM

• Many Dimensions
  • Phantastes
  • Planet Narnia: The Seven Heavens in the Imagination of C.S. Lewis
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • Manalive
  • The Silver Hand (The Song of Albion, #2)
  • The Tolkien Reader
  • Empire of Bones (Ashtown Burials #3)
  • Crown of Fire (Firebird, #3)
  • The Book of the Dun Cow (Chauntecleer the Rooster, #1)

Clive Staples Lewis was one of the intellectual giants of the twentieth century and arguably one of the most influential writers of his day. He was a Fellow and Tutor in English Literature at Oxford University until 1954. He was unanimously elected to the Chair of Medieval and Renaissance Literature at Cambridge

The Space Trilogy (3 books)
  • Out of the Silent Planet (The Space Trilogy, #1)
  • That Hideous Strength (The Space Trilogy, #3)
“Whatever you do, He will make good of it. But not the good He had prepared for you if you had obeyed him.” 211 likes
“The world is so much larger than I thought. I thought we went along paths--but it seems there are no paths. The going itself is the path.” 61 likes