Start by marking “Fault Line (Em Hansen Mystery, #7)” as Want to Read:
Fault Line (Em Hansen Mystery, #7)

Fault Line

(Em Hansen Mystery #7)

3.75  ·  Rating details ·  239 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews

But murder can spoil anybody's plans, and when the body of the state geol
Published January 20th 2003 by Minotaur Books (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Fault Line, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fault Line

Kate
Mar 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
"With the Winter Olympics approaching, Salt Lake City is trembling with excitement-literally. A real life earthquake has torn fissures into the city's preparations, and now forensic geologist Em Hansen has a rare opportunity to get some field work in before her home is overrun by tourists and athletes.

But murder can spoil anybody's plans, and when the body of the state geologist turns up in the wake of the 'quake, the FBI enlists Em's unique expertise to sort through the rubble. When the case ta
Marseydoats
Mar 31, 2018 rated it it was ok
I finished this, but I could never really get into it. It was the first book in the series I had read, maybe you have to read them in order? The only character that I liked in the entire book was Jack the FBI agent. The protagonist came across as not very bright, and the whole thing was kind of boring.
Kristi
Jan 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
Ah, so much better than the previous book in the series! Thank goodness!

While somewhat political in nature, this story was not bogged down preachiness or educating science. That isn't to say there wasn't a great geological message to the story or that I didn't learn things about geology that I didn't know before reading the book, but this time it supported the story rather than overshadowing it. In reading these series I find it is fairly common to find a title every now and again that isn't qu
Kirsten
Nov 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
I'm reading these SO COMPLETELY out of order! Ah well.

This was a good one. There's something about earthquakes and the terror they cause that I can really understand (living in Northern CA and growing up near the geysers and all). I like the switch in writing (alternating characters in chapters), and I think my favorite parts were the earthquake quotes at the beginning of chapters. It's natural to feel completely helpless when the ground you stand upon betrays you.

A good, solid murder mystery. N
Unwisely
Nov 25, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2009, mystery
This one was definitely better than the last one, that's for sure. She manages to cram some geology, but it's much less educational-film-strippy. The protagonist hit a bit close to home, with her unemployment, no career path, and age, but, well.

Plus it finally explained some important developments that I knew about but missed, accidentally having skipped three books. Overall, it was good enough that I requested the next one from the library, whee.
Denise
Jan 11, 2015 rated it liked it
Definitely an enjoyable read, especially for rock-hounds. Picked this up because of a recommendation by Lee Allison, the former state geologist of Utah and current state geologist of Arizona. Thanks, Lee!
Lizpeveto
Jan 10, 2010 rated it really liked it
If you like geology, you'll like the Em Hansen books. They are all good and most are situated in the western states. Good clean reads w/ enough plot to interest the reader and her people are well rounded. Little violence, profanity and sexual situations.
Donna Maroulis
Nov 04, 2012 rated it liked it
Good story and characters, with a lot of interesting information on earthquakes included.
Eunira
Jun 14, 2009 added it
7th in the series
Ayelet
Aug 28, 2012 rated it liked it
Good story, Ray's family is pretty crazy, I saw the Jack thing coming right away.
Laura Chatfield
Jun 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
I'm hooked on this series about a forensic geologist. There's a great mix of suspense, science/geology, and romance. I've read almost all the books in the series. Easy/escape reading.
Lisa
Apr 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
Love geology, love Em Hanson.
Lester
Jul 18, 2012 rated it liked it

Good good book!!!
(read a few books in the last week..but was without computer to update)
Maureen Keimig
Mar 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
Interesting plot and good characters. Sometimes a little wordy on the geology information but otherwise a good read.
Joan
Wed
Dec 19, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Loot
  • The Night Visitor (Charlie Moon, #5)
  • Death, Guns, and Sticky Buns (Tori Miracle, #3)
  • A Ghost of a Chance (A Shannon Delaney Paranormal Mystery #1)
  • Hound
  • The Chinese Alchemist (Lara McClintoch Archeological Mystery, #11)
  • Death of a Rug Lord (Den of Antiquity, #14)
Sarah Andrews is a geologist who writes mystery novels about a geologist.

She currently lives in northern California and invests her free time on community pursuits and flying, skiing, and sailing with her husband and son.

Em Hansen Mystery (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Tensleep (Em Hansen Mystery, #1)
  • A Fall in Denver (Em Hansen Mystery, #2)
  • Mother Nature (Em Hansen Mystery, #3)
  • Only Flesh and Bones (Em Hansen Mystery, #4)
  • Bone Hunter (Em Hansen Mystery, #5)
  • An Eye for Gold (Em Hansen Mystery, #6)
  • Killer Dust (Em Hansen Mystery, #8)
  • Earth Colors (Em Hansen Mystery, #9)
  • Dead Dry (Em Hansen Mystery, #10)
  • Rock Bottom