Start by marking “Natural Causes” as Want to Read:
Natural Causes

Natural Causes

Mass Market Paperback, 465 pages
Published December 1st 1994 by Bantam (first published March 1st 1994)

Start your review of Natural Causes
Carol
Nov 18, 2016 rated it liked it
Natural Causes by Michael Palmer
3.5★'s

From The Book:
Dr. Sarah Baldwin races to a Boston hospital with a young woman whose normal labor has suddenly become a matter of life and death. As she struggles to save both mother and baby, she doesn't know that two other women have already died under horrifying identical circumstances. And so begins Sarah's own nightmare, as she learns that the prenatal herbal vitamins she prescribed are the only thing these women have in common. Soon Sarah is fighting to
NATUI
May 18, 2010 rated it liked it
I finished this book last night, and I am kind of pissed at what a let down it was. This book hooked me from the first few pages. It was so interesting that I couldn't put it down. About three quarters of the way through the author must have had visions of a Hollywood thriller. The characters are thrown in to evermore implausible and stupid situations. The plot went from amazingly believable to eye-rollingly awful. Think Bourne Identity on top of James Bond layered with Mission Impossible. If ha ...more
Jun 25, 2012 rated it did not like it
Sarah's patients are dying in labor and it may be connected to the herbal supplements she's been prescribing. I hated every character in this book. Their science was bad and their ethics were bad. A lot of their other dimensions were also bad, but I think they're generally covered by those, because life is generally covered by those.
Margaret
Dr. Sarah Baldwin has been prescribing herbal supplements for her expectant mothers, when one of her patients starts hemorrhaging when she is in labor. Sarah find that there has been another similar case that resulted in death for both the mother and child. The hospital where Sara is on staff is struggling both by reputation and financially and is danger of takeover by a larger organization. While Sara's herbal supplements are suspect as being the cause of the hemorrhaging, Sara's standing
with
L.M. Pampuro
Apr 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Oh my gosh! For a person who gets squeamish at the sight of blood, a medical suspense story seems like an odd reading choice yet I couldn't put this book down! It has a great plot yet it was the multiple subplots that kept me going.
I wonder, based on the wacky world we live in, how much might be closer to truth than fiction. Read this book!
Ed
May 27, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: action, thriller, medical
Medical thriller - Dr. Sarah Baldwin is a fast-track OB/GYN resident at the Medical Center of Boston, a hospital which seems ideally suited to her holistic healing background. When one of her patients is stricken with sudden, almost unstoppable bleeding, Sarah saves her life with a combination of acupuncture and meditation techniques, briefly becoming a heroine. Then, it turns out that this patient and two others who died under similar circumstances were all taking a natural herbal vitamin suppl ...more
Rebecca McNutt
May 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
Similar to Robin Cook's Coma, this book takes all of society's fears about the modern-day hospitals and healthcare systems and creates a nightmarish view on just what the wrong drugs can do. Human life hangs in the balance as one doctor risks her career and possibly her own life to unravel a conspiracy. This book was well-written, eerie, suspenseful and complex, everything a medical thriller should be. ...more
Darren
Aug 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
It was a good book. I liked it a lot. It was a well written book. I look forward to reading more books by this author.
Bodosika Bodosika
Aug 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: medical-thriller
An interesting Medical Thriller!
Rabbit {Paint me like one of your 19th century gothic heroines!}
Yeah, I can't get into this one. BYE. DNF on page 35.
Carey
Aug 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book. On the back cover there is a quote from the Library Journal stating that the book "reinvents the medical thriller" Most of the time I really don't care about these published quotes that critics gave. Sometimes they can be misleading. I've read some pretty bad books who had Reese Witherspoon or Oprah quoting that they love the book.This was not the case here, this was a very exciting "medical thriller" to read.
In addition to it being a medical thriller, I w
Paul Weiss
Feb 18, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: medical-thriller
One of Michael Palmer's weaker efforts!

We all know what it means to die from natural causes but, in this era of modern medicine, it is an exceptionally infrequent occurrence for someone to be cured by "natural causes". Indeed, the conflict between natural medicine in all its forms - homeopathy, chiropractic, herbal remedies, acupuncture, naturopathy, midwifery, and so on - is the theme of Michael Palmer's latest medical thriller entitled, of course, Natural Causes!

The story starts off with dizzy
John
Feb 20, 2018 rated it liked it
If you have never read a Michael Palmer book, this would be an enjoyable read. It is a national bestseller but it is in line with each of the other six Palmer books that I have read, all written prior to this one. This involves a female doctor who is respected in her field and who also dabbles in Eastern medicine. Of course, as is the case with Palmer novels, someone in the medical community is involved in heinous activities resulting in the death of multiple women during labor prior to giving b ...more
Linda
Aug 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
I recommend the book.
Another medical thriller! The author's writing mechanics were very good. The book was somewhat predictable, and the lawyers and doctors did not act and think like I expected they would. The author did not get bogged in the action or trip me by keeping secrets. I did not get a good mental picture of the main characters' physicality, but I expect they were nice looking people. I vowed to limit this book to three stars from page one, but the book had that 'something extra' that
Brent Alley
May 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
Wild
Nov 26, 2017 rated it liked it
For the most part, this was an enjoyable read. It had all the parts necessary to make a medical thriller "tick", including an imaginative link between a privately marketed weight loss powder and a sudden epidemic of uncontrolled bleeding episodes in pregnant women. But, the cliff-hangers were sometimes a bit contrived, and predictable. Nonetheless, I would consider reading Michael Palmer's other novels.
Louise Pledge
Aug 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Can't get enough Michael Palmer! Don't know what I'll do when I've gone through every one of his books (which will be soon) 😧. I stayed up till 4 am because I just HAD to finish this one before I could even try to sleep. I feel that I must warn, however, that there's lot of offensive language in it (moreso than I remember in his other books). And if it were almost any other author, I would have quit reading after the first couple of chapters.
Suzanne
It was okay. It could have been great if the author had concentrated more on the substance of the story and less on make every character a suspect--although I did figure out who the real culprit was early on. There were just so many unbelievable, unacceptable things happening in the book that the story didn't seem possible. Or perhaps it seemed more like someone should have figured things out earlier.
Victoria
Meh. It might have been a great mystery: women dying of rare syndrome during premature labor all of whom happen to have been patients of Dr. Sarah at the Boston medical center. But hiring a newbie to defend against malpractice, attacking a mob member and getting away with it, severe gunshot wounds survived, killers who seem to know everything... it was just too much. Not a page turner but not terrible, it just didn't really grab me.
Cynthia Edge
Jul 01, 2017 rated it liked it
I enjoy Michael Palmer's books because they have a lot of medical scenarios that are pretty accurate given he is a doctor. That, and I like thet thriller aspect and trying to put the piecea together. This book was an easy, quick read, though not very plausible (lots of near misses for our heroine and surrounding good guys, etc.). But, all in all what I expected!
Maureen
Aug 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Can't believe it took me so long to find Michael Palmer and his wonderful medical mysteries...Love everyone of them....this one covers Sarah B, the ob/gyn surgeon and her fight to clear her name of harming patients....virus, arrogant ex lover, crazy scientists, pregnant women....it was a great book...sorry it had to end.
alixandra brevig
Aug 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A really good read !

I really enjoyed this book. It was full of twists and turns right up to the end. I also appreciated how there was some focus on Western medicine and Alternative Health care. I use both my GO and Alternative carefree probs on a regular basis but have rarely seen it brought up in novels.
Barbararose
Sep 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Want rapid weight loss......with a risk?

Dr. Sarah Baldwin was at a loss as to why the young pregnant woman was bleeding from her nose, why she said her hands and arms were in horrid pain.
Her blood wasn’t clotting, trying everything they rushed her to surgery.
Great medical thriller about bogus diet pills.
Connie
Sep 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: medical-thriller
I loved this book! I have read several of Michael Palmers books years ago, and just like all the rest this book was fantastic! I was hooked right away. I had a very hard time putting it down. It was filled with lots of twists and surprises. I never lost interest for a second. Very well written!
Krista
Nov 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyable

I first read this book many years ago and recently read it again. I couldn't remember a thing other than that I had read it, so it was a new book again! Some I thought I had sorted but was surprised by a good twist. Pacing and characters were good. The Kindle version has some errors, missing words or whole paragraphs. Thankfully nothing too major.
April Beth
A fun read

This was a fun and engaging read even if it wasn’t one of Palmer’s best works. Sarah was just a mediocre character for me. I’m not sure what I found in her that wasn’t quite as likable as some but I didn’t connect with her as easily as I have with some of his other characters.
Christy
May 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I have loved all the Michael Palmer books! I find his much easier to read and more interesting than the later books by Robin Cook. I will miss his writings but I believe I read that his brother will be continuing with writing similar books.
Betty Burkman
Jun 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is as good as it gets

Suspense to the very end. A cleverly told tale. Medical and legal with research combine to make terrific story. Only at the end does it could me together!
PWA Allen
Aug 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A really good medical mystery. Pregnant women are dying a horrible bleeding, painful death. A coverup all to save money and reputations. This was an edge of your seat kind of story. There's murder, greed, coverups, and alittle romance. Very very good story!
Jennifer Bowers
Aug 03, 2018 rated it liked it
A pretty good thriller, at least on a level with Robin Cooke. A bit dated -- a lot of the problems these characters got themselves into could have been solved if they had had cell phones. But still a fairly relevant plot.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Godplayer
  • The First Family
  • Chromosome 6 (Jack Stapleton & Laurie Montgomery, #3)
  • Harmful Intent
  • Blindsight (Jack Stapleton & Laurie Montgomery, #1)
  • Shock
  • Fever
  • Foreign Body (Jack Stapleton & Laurie Montgomery, #8)
  • Compelling Evidence (Paul Madriani, #1)
  • Burn Factor
  • Skyhook
  • Headwind
  • Medusa's Child
  • Pandora's Clock
  • Intervention (Jack Stapleton & Laurie Montgomery, #9)
  • The Last Hostage (Kat Bronsky, #1)
  • A Golfer's Life
  • Cure (Jack Stapleton & Laurie Montgomery, #10)
Is the Canadian-born author of Dark Side of the Sun, The Leaf Cutter and The Corduroy Road, well-received and much-loved books that have garnered regional and national media attention across Canada. And he loves a good adventure - he was temporarily stranded on an iceberg once, was accidently branded an illegal alien (along with his wife and kids) in Panama and his family lived in the jungles of C ...more