Start by marking “Random (Narey & Winter, #1)” as Want to Read:
Random (Narey & Winter, #1)

Random

(Narey & Winter #1)

Glasgow is being terrorised by a serial killer the media have nicknamed The Cutter. The murders have left the police baffled. There seems to be neither rhyme nor reason behind the killings; no kind of pattern or motive; an entirely different method of murder each time, and nothing that connects the victims except for the fact that the little fingers of their right hands ha
Published March 1st 2010 by Simon & Schuster (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Random, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Random

Susan
Oct 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have meant to read Craig Robertson for a long while, but, as is the way, did not get around to reading him until just now. This is the first in his Narey and Winter series, although Winter does not appear and Rachel Narey is barely in the novel.

This is an unusual serial killer book, as it is told from the point of view of the killer himself. It is hard to be sympathetic with someone who is killing people, randomly choosing his victims in different ways – a business card plucked from a bowl, t
Linda Strong
Mar 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2015
I can honestly say this was the first time I felt such sadness for a serial killer. The entire book is written from his point of view ... what's he doing, why he's doing it. There are no forensics to speak of and the police take a long step back, away from all the action.

He chooses victims at random .. the 3rd person who passes him on the street..... pulls a business card out of the bowl at the bar .... picks up the phone directory and chooses a name, any name will do. Then he stalks them, somet
Sandy
Apr 04, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you've read the blurb above you know the main plot of this book. A serial killer is loose in Glasgow & the frustration felt by the police is matched only by the public's fear as seemingly random victims are chosen for a gruesome demise.
But this is a book of surprises. First, the story is narrated by the killer. The reader is plunked down into his head so we are privy to his thoughts. Slowly we learn how personal tragedy transformed him from a happy family man to one who no longer feels jo
Karen
May 11, 2010 rated it it was amazing
One of the things that I really like about reading review books is that I constantly find absolutes in my reading tastes aren't. Ask me about serial killer books before reading RANDOM and I would have categorically stated been there, over it. Add being inside the serial killer's head for the entire of the book and I'd have put my hand on my heart and said it's all too tedious. Then I read RANDOM and found myself really hooked on the internal monologue of a serial killer.

Based in Glasgow, RANDOM,
Mar 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
This is my first book by this author and certainly won’t be my last!

I have to admit I’m not quite sure if this is the start of a series or not as the police side of things is very low key. The whole story centres around the serial killer himself. I enjoyed that we get to see everything from his point of view and I think overall readers are going to take to him.

Getting to see a serial killer in his work and home life really humanised him for me. You can’t help but have some empathy for the guy. J
Mike Finn
"Random" is the story of a serial killer like none I've read before. This is not some Hannibal Lecter evil-genius anti-hero, nor the all too common I-like-to-cause-women-pain serial killer, or even the Dexter "dark passenger" kind of killer.

This is a story of a disciplined man, following a plan with minimal emotional involvement. A plan that will get him an outcome that he greatly desires.

At least, that's how it starts.

Executing the plan costs our killer. It eats away at his humanity. It stresse
Cat
Jul 07, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found this book interesting. I didn't necessarily like it, but it was interesting to be in the mind of a serial killer for an entire book, to see his emotions and thought processes, to know why he was doing these things and what effect it had on him. The deaths were rather graphic, and I'm not entirely sure if that was a good or bad thing, but it was interesting to see how methodically the killer thought about them. There were a few parts of the book that I did not appreciate, including the se ...more
Nick Clarke
Jul 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Fabulously written,straight into the action from page 1,you almost think to yourself that you cant wait for the next murder,its that compelling a story.Utter genious.
Gerard Oconnell
Aug 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
Enjoyed this book,my first from this writer but it will not be my last.
Best Crime Books & More
Jun 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
Craig Robertson has had a twenty year career with the Glasgow Post. He has not only interviewed three different Prime Ministers, he has also attended some major news stories such as 9/11, Dunblane and the disappearance of Madeleine McCann. This is his first novel and is entitled Random.

The cover of his book is pretty eye catching with its red cover and a picture of a figure in the shadows. The jacket information was even more interesting with a description of a Serial Killer operating in Glasgow
Rebecca Bradley
Jul 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
This novel is told from the point of view of “The Cutter”. It’s the second novel this year that I’ve read where the novel is narrated from the point of view of the serial killer and it’s the second novel this year that I’ve loved that about it.

You’re thrown straight into his mind as the novel starts and it’s a dark and focused place.

The title of the novel comes from the fact that the way he murders his victims is always random, never the same way twice and Robertson is quite inventive when choos
Grace Backler
A powerful ending to a story which had me captivated the whole time I was reading. My only criticism is that I didn't enjoy the dialogue but found the rest of the writing style (minus a few editing errors) to be intriguing. Being able to relate to a serial killer is always an interesting plot point to enable you to empathise and reflect on your own moral stand points and what you would do in similar situations.
Sharon
Mar 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
A serial killer is terrorising the streets of Glasgow leaving the police baffled, there seems to be no rhyme nor reason to the killings.
This book is told from the killers perspective so from the outset you know who he is but not why. A dark and brutal tale of a man driven to the depths of despair.
Fantastic debut from Craig Robertson and I'm looking forward to reading more from him
Dolf Patijn
Jun 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An intelligent and unusual thriller, written completely from the perspective of the killer. I understand that this is the first in a series. I'm curious to see how this series evolves. This is one of these thrillers that is not too graphic but leans more on a good story which kept me interested until the very end. It has a well thought out twist towards the end and the end of the story itself is believable. Highly recommended.
Debbie
Aug 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Creative thriller told from the point of view of a serial killer with a despairing backstory of his own. This one is fairly short and smoothly written, making it move along at a nice, even pace. Most books of this nature that I read tend to be primarily told from the view of the police force searching for the perpetrator. However, this one is from the perpetrator’s viewpoint completely, introducing law enforcement to the reader as characters circling his path. I’m definitely interested in readin ...more
Gill Chivas
Jun 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed this one. Easy to get into with a good storyline, all from the killer's viewpoint. I felt quite sorry for him really. Looking forward to reading more from Craig Robertson
Alfred Nobile
Feb 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was Graig's debut. I enjoyed it, though I have spoken to people who have said the first person narrative grated with them. The police are not as up front in other books but it was good to see through the eyes of a killer.
Lynda Kelly
Oct 14, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: deleted
I've given up on this. It's too Scottish for me. Why would you make a book set in Glasgow only available for Scots to understand ? I got cheesed off having to keep looking words up like bunnets, two-tick fiddle or bams (which I still don't get in the context he wrote them, even after looking them up in online Scottish dictionaries). I reached a mention of a jaikie and packed it in at 19%.
Val McDermid doesn't do this and neither does Iain Banks. By writing in this fashion I think this author has
Thebooktrail
Jul 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
Booktrail of the Glasgow locations - Random Booktrail

This side of Glasgow won’t be on any tourist trail or website but it shows the underbelly of a city terrorised by a serial killer who narrates the whole story….

The Cutter

The name leaves little doubt as to the MO of the serial killer stalking the streets of Glasgow. The police have no suspects or motives as the pattern and methods with each murder changes each time. Nothing and no one seems to link each case. Well, there is one thing – each vic
Rowena Hoseason
Oct 31, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is a tightly-woven thriller which escapes the usual humdrum feeling of Brit crime lit. At first it appears to be a fairly standard 'serial killer does bad stuff' with some ingenious methods for his murders. But then the plot opens out and the killer becomes a rather more sympathetic character, as he gets unwillingly involved in the Glaswegian underworld.

Initially I was a little concerned about the 'hoots mon' aspects of the text; I have found some books which contain big chunks of local dia
Miss Page Turner
Oct 02, 2010 rated it it was ok

This novel is a whole thrilling insight into the obscure mind of a serial killer with no obvious acting pattern. The Cutter appears to be a dangerous psychopath, on the inside he is a smart and hurt man longing for revenge and destruction. Random involves a murderer plot which is interwoven with a kind of underworld plot. In my opinion the involved underworld plot slows the overall story down and blurs it unnecessarily.

The story is told from the murderer’s point of view that puts the reader into
Kirsty 📚📖❤️
I picked this book up at my office book swap purely based on the premise that it's written and from the perspective of the serial killer. The only reason we know details of the police and how well they are doing in the quest to capture a criminal is by the newspaper & TV reports The Cutter sees himself. And I have to call him by his nickname because at no point do I think his real full name is revealed. I caught his surname somewhere but if the first name was said I missed it.

I enjoyed the
Tracy Fenton
Jun 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I’m going to be honest here, I had heard incredible things about one of Craig’s books Murderabilia and went to download it, but saw it was number 6 in a series and if you follow my reviews you will know I don’t like reading books out of order and the idea of having to read 5 books just to get to Murderabilia when I currently have over 400 books on my kindle wasn’t overly appealing.

This week all 6 books in this series have been reduced to 99p, so I popped back onto Amazon to see if I should buy t
Fitzykd
Apr 03, 2010 rated it it was amazing
From the moment I started reading this book I could not put it down, My husband managed to persuade me to put it down long enought to have dinner (I continued to read as dinner was cooking). This is a very cleverly written book. You are pulled in to the mind of the killer very quickly and your are hard put not to feel some sympathy and understanding for him. There is a pretty clever twist towards the end. I liked the fact that you found out 'why' quite early on (if you didn't, I don't think it w ...more
Josh
Oct 07, 2017 rated it liked it
This book was gifted to me a few years ago, during a time I was heavily interested in crime fiction and psychology.

I flew through the book, which is always a good sign, and this was helped by the way it was written and the direction of the plot. The author invites you into the mind of a Glaswegian serial killer and successfully leaves the reader immersed and rooting for the bad guy. Although little stands out in my mind about it now (except the ending), it was a fun and intriguing read, perfect
Esoldra
Nick Davies
Jan 13, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
An unusual first-person protagonist viewpoint and clever fast-paced action made this a compelling read. Violent and challenging, it succeeded in making the reader uncomfortably complicit. As a stand-alone, it worked very well, and my only complaint would be that some of the characters were unfeasibly simple in order to drive the plot.
Sue Mcleod
Decent read but I started to progressively gloss over the serial killer angst as I worked through the novel. Not a whodunit ... and the whydunnit was shared fairly early (apparent from one crucial element). Felt like a first novel - interesting idea but executed in a self-conscious manner.
Lainy
Jan 26, 2019 rated it liked it
Time taken to read - 1.5 days

Pages - 329

Publisher - Simon & Schuster

Source - Bought (bookstore I think)

Blurb from Goodreads

Samantha
Aug 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an unusual book - a serial killer is loose on the streets of Glasgow and it appears the police are finding it difficult if not impossible to catch him. With little or no clues and victims being seemingly chosen at random the police are baffled and frustrated at the lack of information for them to grasp to piece together who is behind the crimes.

Its unusual because the narrator is the killer. You are instantly transported into his mind and through his thoughts and actions we learn how a
704 gossip/ who is the ..... in the class/ random questions or topics 3 13 Nov 16, 2011 06:14PM
  • Truth Lies Bleeding (DI Rob Brennan #1)
  • Lennox (Lennox, #1)
  • Shadows of Sounds (Lorimer #3)
  • Bitter Water (Douglas Brodie, #2)
  • The Reaper (Damen Brook, #1)
  • American Devil (Tom Harper & Denise Levene #1)
  • Absolution (Anderson & Costello, #1)
  • Shadow Man
  • London Calling (Inspector Carlyle #1)
  • Shatter The Bones (Logan McRae, #7)
  • Grievous Angel (Bob Skinner, #21)
  • Where the Bodies Are Buried
  • Blood and Ashes (Joe Hunter, #5)
  • The Dead Tracks (David Raker, #2)
  • The Papers of Tony Veitch (Jack Laidlaw, #2)
  • Betrayed (Rosie Gilmour #4)
During his 20-year career with a Scottish Sunday newspaper, Craig Robertson has interviewed three recent Prime Ministers; attended major stories including 9/11, Dunblane, the Omagh bombing and the disappearance of Madeleine McCann; been pilloried on breakfast television, beaten Oprah Winfrey to a major scoop, been among the first to interview Susan Boyle, spent time on Death Row in the USA and dis ...more

Narey & Winter (7 books)
  • Snapshot (Narey & Winter, #2)
  • Cold Grave (Narey & Winter, #3)
  • Witness the Dead (Narey & Winter, #4)
  • In Place of Death (Narey & Winter, #5)
  • Murderabilia (Narey & Winter, #6)
  • The Photographer (Narey & Winter, #7)