Start by marking “Moon Awakening (Children of the Moon, #1)” as Want to Read:
Moon Awakening (Children of the Moon, #1)

Moon Awakening

(Children of the Moon #1)

When Emily Hamilton's family is ordered to send a woman to the Scottish highlands for marriage to the laird of the Sinclair, Emily volunteers in order to save her younger sister from such a fate. But at her new home, the only friend she finds is the laird's sister-especially after Emily's stubborn streak causes the laird to cancel the marriage. And though her plans have go ...more
Published February 6th 2007 by Berkley (first published January 1st 2007)

Start your review of Moon Awakening (Children of the Moon, #1)
Maida»-(¯`v´¯)-»

RATING: 4 Sexy Highlanders Hearts!! =D <3
MelissaB
Moon Awakening is a book with an interesting premise - Scottish werewolves in a medieval setting. The story wasn't quite a knock out for me but it was still a good read.

Emily Hamilton is an English woman sent to the Scottish Highlands to marry a laird upon the demand of the King. She volunteered to go in place of her younger half-sister who is deaf from an illness because she fears what the laird would do to her. Upon Emily's arrival at the Sinclair holding, she finds the Sinclair laird wants no
new_user
Jul 29, 2008 rated it really liked it
I've had this book on my to-read for a while. I haven't read many good historical paranormals, but Monroe's modern suspense titles came so highly recommended, I took a chance on a historical title.

Mostly, I liked it. Lachlan & co. are sexy, dangerous and charming when they initially meet and coerce/persuade the heroines away to their dread castle.

However, once the heroines hook up with the heroes, it seems like the author was reaching for a conflict and the couples descend into bickering, someti
Zeek
Out spoken, tender hearted Emily Hamilton has never been understood by her step-mother. So when Emily volunteers to take the place of her deaf younger sister in an arranged marriage, her step-mother readily agrees- just to be rid of Emily once and for all.

Emily doesn't want to give up her freedom, especially not to a barbaric highland Scotsman living far from her home in England. But she will do anything to protect her sister. So she leaves her life behind to an uncertain future.

When she arrives
Umaiya ❄️Ramblings of a Scattered Mind❄️

This was very...what's the word...anti-climactic.

I realize it's been 10 years since came out and that the book world has changed much in those years but this was just bland.
And if I were being honest, for a paranormal, it kinda sucked.

I've read the entire thing, finished it but I swear nothing happened. The entire time Lachlan and Emily only argued and I don't mean the flirty banter we all know and love. I mean the, I'm gonna smack these kids upside the head if they don't shut it already kind.

It
Zoe
Aug 20, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
ok read, i was however rather bored at about 60% and had to push myself to finish the rest of the story. The problem is that there is no true affection between the lead characters. I get that they get hot with each other because they are "mates" and all but why? Other than strong sexual attraction, constant bickering and denial, there is no relationship.

Reading the first few chapters I thought Emily was supposed to be with this Talorc guy. Then she was adbucted by Lachlan, laird of an enemy cla
Erin
I wanted to LOVE this book. But I only liked it.
Twas an enjoyable read but I felt it took to long for the Lachlan and Emily to get to the bedding(view spoiler)
I liked Lachlan and Emily and the fact that he wanted to help conquer her fears. I also liked that Lachlan had his own vulnerabilities like thinking she wouldn't accept his wolf and when she did...*sigh* So sweet.
Thing is a *liked* this book...but I could have done without it(I WILL BE READ
Debby "Piene Raven"
Feb 14, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: authors-m-n
Emily Hamilton's is ordered to a Scottish Highland for marriage to the laird Lachlan in order to save her younger sister from a terrible fate and embarrassment. She finds friendship with the laird’s sister at her new home, however her stubbornness wreaks havoc so much so that the laird wants nothing to do with the marriage. Emily refuses to go back home. Lachlan is laird of the Balmoral clan and is feared by other werewolves in the Highland. Lachlan is sexy, dangerous and charming.

What I liked…d
Rachel- Goodbye Borders
Jun 09, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-2019
Scottish werewolves in kilts! Eh, maybe I would have liked this better had I read this when it was first published (2007). I was a different reader then and my tolerance for bullshit was better(?) or worse(?) then now. This has kidnapping (check), forced marriage (check), lavender eyes (check), and alpha males (check). I surprised Cait and Emily didn't have have to ask permission to go take a shit. Oh wait, they probably did. I despise men like this in real life and on the page.
But, this did fu
Anna (Bobs Her Hair)
Jul 25, 2011 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Paranormal historical romance readers
This is my first Lucy Monroe book and I was debating between a paranormal romance and a historical romance when I saw this in my TBR pile. It was a nice read and filled my need for both genres.

In this story, Emily Hamilton takes the place of her deaf sister, Abigail, when the king requests her father send a daughter to marry Talorc Sinclair, laird of a Scottish Highland clan. She treks from England to Scotland not knowing there is a special breed of shapeshifting people that live in the Highland
Jan 17, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: highlander-books
I read a short story that is a free download and the pre-quel to this story on Lucy Monroe's website, and was completely unimpressed (it could have been the childish looking wolf drawings that distracted me, though, they were dumb!) But I really wasn't expecting much from this.
I was way off! this was a great story and I look forward to reading the next full-length book.
Emily is sent off to the Highlands to wed a laird who'd demanded reparations from her father, an English baron. She and Talorc
Aug 10, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition

I really thought this was going to be better. It has an overall rating on GR of nearly 4 stars! I was severely disappointed. Not only was the heroine just.... so blah, but the sexual tension between them was not satisfying. I would have liked 1. more build up of some kind of relationship and 2. a heroine with more of some kind of personality that didnt resemble a worm.

I mean...

He was a fool for kissing her again, for tempting his beast as well as his manly desire.

I dont mind a little
Summer
Moon Awakening was... okay. It was one of those romance novels where I feel like the characters aren't really developed much. The heroine is sent to Scotland to marry some lord to protect her deaf sister from having to go. She loves her sister and befriends the sister of the lord she supposed to marry but that's about all you can say for her. The hero is some alpha highlander man who kidnaps the heroine and her friend. He wears plaid and is kind of pretty but that's about all you can say for him ...more
Cynthia
Apr 19, 2010 rated it really liked it
A little confusing at first getting the back-story and history of the Chrechte (werewolf) people, but that soon dissipates as the storyline takes hold, and you are immersed in this wonderful world in the Scottish Highlands.

The heroine and hero, Emily Hamilton and Lachlan Balmoral, are delightful. Many secondary characters are fully developed and come into play through-out the story. The side-story tale of Drustan and Cait added even more enjoyment to this engrossing tale.

You won't be disappoint
Maura
Elizabeth Mckernan
Apr 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I really love this series and how fiercely the highlanders love and protect their families and their clan and their true soul mate when they find them. I find myself getting lost in stories like these where I never want to come up for air and can't stop turning the pages.
Martina the Book Fairy
Jan 22, 2010 rated it really liked it
Moon Awakening is copyrighted 2007 and has probably been on my bookshelf since late 2007/early 2008 which is around the time that I was really getting into urban style PNR and was leaving other sub-genres behind.

Moon Awakening takes place in old Scotland in an indeterminate time in the past and is generally a werewolf story. It's currently the only book in the series, but Book #2, Moon Craving, is coming out in Feb 2010. There is also a precursor to the series, Run With the Moon, that is availa
Gisela
Read with ShoSho here ...more
Dawn ♥ romance
Aug 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
An enjoyable paranormal historical romance with plenty of action that moved right along but I guessed who done it pretty early and I thought the hero was a bit to obstinate and the heroine just accepted most of it. The king orders an English woman marry a Highland laird and Emily volunteers to go for her sister.
Ctanner
Jun 13, 2010 rated it really liked it
I liked the heroine, Emily, in Moon Awakening a lot. She is smart, courageous, and sweet. This book was a nice surprise. I liked the werewolf angle and the charming dialogue.
Chris
Jul 17, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Great book, kept my interest from start to finish, great story line with adventure, suspense, and romance, it kept me captivated of what would happen, loved the book.
Bianca
I really enjoyed this book! I thought there was great chemistry between hero and heroine, though I felt like I could of got to know him a little better!
Lauren Gray
Jan 14, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: did-not-finish
The first line: “Millennia ago God created a race of people so fierce even their women were feared in battle.” NOPE.
Dulcie H
May 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
4.75 stars. Exactly what I was hoping for. Great characters, smut, angst and story. Two thumbs up! Thanks to Val and Karen for their reviews otherwise I wouldn’t have picked it up.
Nessa
Sep 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
WEREWOLF/SHAPE-SHIFTER STORIES ARE RARE IN HISTORICAL ROMANCES, SO IMAGINE MY DELIGHT TO PICK UP THIS TREASURE! IT WASN'T THE BEST, BUT IT WAS STILL GOOD.

OUR HERO I had someone else in mind at the beginning, but I was only relief to know that he was Lachlan instead of the Sinclair. Lachlan is the alpha of the pack, leader of the grand castle secluded on an island for maximum security of his own people. It's doesn't take an idiot to see that he's a responsible leader, who takes his job seriously
Kat Hageman
Oct 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
This paranormal historical romance novel is based around the arranged marriage/ kidnapping of Emily. Know as the ‘English’ in the story, and yes your probably already guess from the cover, she gets sent to Scotland!!! And I don’t think the men could be anymore brooding.

Emily is throw in to a world of Lairds, werewolves and love (of course, it’s a romance after all). Her friend (Cait) and her are kidnapped as retribution by a rival warring clan, and yes they have kilts. And doesn’t the fun start
Heather
Sep 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great

Emily is English and dexides to take the place of her deaf sister to marry Talorc a Scottish laird. Upon her arrival the clan is cold even more so Talorc. With making a sister in heart with Cait Talroc's sister they are kidnapped by no other then Lachlan whom is also a laird. With seeking revenge against Talric for taking a femwolf from his clan he deals with Emily with a pull that he cany deny but being Chrechte and laird he must marry a femwolf to keep the chrechte populating. Yet Emily w
MaryD
I had checked this out from my library & was so intrigued by it that I had to buy a Kindle version so I could highlight my favorite parts.

This contains two of my favorite tropes- shifters & Scotland- that were very well combined. I love the concept of the Picts as shifters, and how they came to be integrated. Yet you also get a taste of Scottish politics & history.
Chris Lewis
May 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: series, my-collection
An enjoyable story, very well developed characters. A good starting story for a series.

Tension builds between two powerful Highland Lairds, centered around a sister, and an English maiden. Will there be war, or will they settle without bloodshed?

The males are powerful alpha leaders in more ways than one, and the female characters are strong enough to take them on.
Tyawna
Feb 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Werewolves in kilts? Heck ya! A great read that takes you to the historical highlands, and introduces you to two feuding werewolf clans. The story kept my attention from start to finish. It was an interesting read and a refreshing break from the classic smut of paranormal romance today. Just enough romance, love, family, action, and deceit to keep you hooked.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Black Richard's Heart (The MacCulloughs, #1)
  • Highlander Unchained (Highlander Trilogy #1)
  • The Mane Event (Pride, #1)
  • Shattered (Nightwind Pack, #2)
  • Nikhil (Kaliszians, #1)
  • Claimed (Nightwind Pack, #1)
  • Ral's Woman (Zorn Warriors, #1)
  • A Heart of Blood and Ashes (A Gathering of Dragons, #1)
  • Taken by the Alien Warrior (Warriors of Agron #1)
  • Beyond the Darkness (Darkness, #3)
  • The Empress' New Clothes
  • Shifter Planet (Shifter Planet, #1)
  • Close Liaisons (The Krinar Chronicles, #1)
  • Claimed by the Alien Warrior (Warriors of Agron #2)
  • The Monarch's Mate (House Of Kaimar, #2)
  • The Devil Is a Marquess (Rescued from Ruin, #4)
  • Draekon Warrior (Rebel Force, #1)
  • Claimed by the Horde King (Horde Kings of Dakkar, #2)
Award winning author Lucy Monroe had her first book published in September 2003. Since then she has sold more than 70 books to four publishers and hit national bestsellers lists in the US and England. She writes sexy category romance for Harlequin Presents including her own ongoing mini-series, The Royal Brides. If you prefer a longer book, but want to keep it steamy, try her Mercenary trilogy or ...more

Children of the Moon (6 books)
  • Moon Craving (Children of the Moon, #2)
  • Moon Burning (Children of the Moon, #3)
  • Dragon's Moon (Children of the Moon, #4)
  • Warrior's Moon (Children of the Moon, #5)
  • Viking's Moon