Start by marking “Accelerated C++: Practical Programming by Example” as Want to Read:
Accelerated C++: Practical Programming by Example

Accelerated C++: Practical Programming by Example

4.04  ·  Rating details ·  565 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews
This is a first-rate introductory book that takes a practical approach to solving problems using C++. It covers a much wider scope of C++ programming than other introductory books Ive seen, and in a surprisingly compact format. - Dag Bruck, founding member of the ANSI/ISO C++ committee The authors present a clear, cogent introduction to C++ programming in a way that gets t ...more
Published August 24th 2000 by Addison-Wesley Professional (first published August 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Accelerated C++, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Accelerated C++

Christian Brumm
Jul 08, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
Very much recommended when you want to get up to speed in Programming in C++, the Modern (STL that is) way. Best benefit for experienced programmers. Tutorial style. Some of the stuff might be boring if you are very experienced, even if you haven't worked a lot with C++. Still the best book I know to start.
Brent
Oct 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: programming
I really liked this book. This book goes over the basics (and some of the not-so-basics) of C++ programming. It introduces features of C++ and the standard library in a unique way: introducing new features to help make programs that solve problems, instead of making programs only to explore the features of C++ and the standard library.
I would not recommend this book for the absolute beginner. I feel that this book is for a person that has learned a tiny bit of the language and wants to know enou
Sergey Ivanov
Oct 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
A solid albeit outdated overview of C++ from an STL first perspective. If you happen to be able to glance a copy but don't want to trudge through all its chapters, I'd say the main points and chapters to analyze would be: Chapter 6 for the library coverage, Chapters 10-12 for memory management heuristics with objects, and chapter 15 for an example of how to think over architecture.

If were to teach a course, I would take some materials from the book, as well as the spirit of covering something pr
Sigvald
Jun 02, 2017 rated it liked it
It was a bit too simple since I have programmed in C++ some years ago.
D
Dec 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: computers
Една от най-добрите книги, които съм чел по темата.
Luggage
Feb 02, 2014 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Experienced programmers
Shelves: computer-science
The authors appear to have the teaching prowess they claim, as the book is clearly written and even the most abstract concepts are understandable after reading a sentence or paragraph for the second time. The Details section at the end of each chapter nicely summarizes the key take-aways and together with the two Appendices it provides a slim but powerful reference for aspiring C++ programmers.

However, as a programming newbie who went from the two "C for Dummies" books out there to this, it had
Jitao David
Jan 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: programming
A great book that introduces concepts and practices of C++. The learning curve is without question steep - the authors explained within 300+ pages what otherwise would be rolled out in more than 1000 pages - however the well-organized structure guides readers through the core of C++ with lively examples.

As the reader reads on, the book reveals more and more advanced staff, such as dynamic memory management, handles, and template programming. At the first sight they seem daunting, however upon t
Max Lybbert
Jun 16, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Although I learned C++ from Cay S. Horstmann's book (currently called Big C++) I always recommend Accelerated C++.

Unlike many other introductory books, Koenig and Moo work hard to guarantee that examples don't need disclaimers ("of course, in a real program you'd just use std::string instead of our string class ..."), and that language features are used when they make sense.

Like Horstman, Koenig and Moo realize that using classes is much easier than writing them, and show how to use classes earl
Bill Lacey
Jan 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reference
This book is the fastest way to get up to speed in programming in C++. No time is wasted. The reader is plunged immediately into writing C++ programs. There are no digressions into C, simply real-world problem-solving using the Standard C++ Library. Constructors, destructions, vectors, pointers, arrays, and memory management are all covered - in context - not as separate, abstract concepts. If you're trying to learn C++ programming, don't waste your time with other books. This is the one to buy. ...more
HappyEvilSlosh
Sep 22, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: science
I've been programming for over a decade and was recommended this book as good to learn C++ for people who already know how to program. However I felt like it was constantly talking down to me and went a bit slow, maybe a better description would've been that it's for people who already know how to program, but aren't very confident. In addition the (admittedly less than legitimate electronic) version I had had several errors including in examples, not a good look.
  • C++ Standard Library: A Tutorial and Reference
  • C++ Primer Plus
  • The Scheme Programming Language
  • Types and Programming Languages
  • Thinking in C++, Volume One: Introduction to Standard C++
  • The Practice of Programming (Addison-Wesley Professional Computing Series)
  • The Art of Computer Programming, Volumes 1-4a Boxed Set
  • Programming Pearls
  • ANSI Common Lisp

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »