Start by marking “The Silver Hand (The Song of Albion, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Silver Hand (The Song of Albion, #2)

The Silver Hand

(The Song of Albion #2)

The great king, Meldryn Mawr, is dead, and his kingdom lies in ruins. Treachery and brutality rule the land, and Albion is the scene of an epic struggle for the throne. Lewis Gillies returns as Llew, seeking the true meaning behind a mysterious prophecy - the making of a true king and the revealing of a long awaited champion: Silver Hand.

The ancient Celts admit
Published September 1st 2006 by WestBow Press (first published 1991)

To ask other readers questions about The Silver Hand, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Silver Hand

Start your review of The Silver Hand (The Song of Albion, #2)
Jordan
Mar 01, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I finally finished this, and am SOOOO glad I did. <3 It was really, REALLY good. Very vivid landscapes, and amazing characters. I was mad at first because the main character from the first book, Lewis, ISN'T the main charrie here. Tegid is, and he's *mild spoilers* blind through most of the story. But it actually adds a different view on Lewis's personality, adding to his personality, and it's interesting going from the view of a blind man. And there are twists to his blindness.

Si
Alain
Tragic. Brutal. Dark. Masterful.
Very satisfying ending (for a midway book) but justice still has ways to go (R.I.P. Ynys Sci).

> The Endless Knot.
Eyebright
Jan 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
The Silver Hand continues the story of Lewis Gillies, now called Llew a name he earned by noble deeds, and his task righting two worlds that are tied together. Prince Meldron, goaded on by Simon's treacherous words, is seizing all of Albion for himself, and bringing destruction and cruelty wherever he goes. His only quest now, however, is to slay Llew and assert his false claim to the kingship.

It is through the vision of Tegid the bard that we see these events happening. He has his own personal pat
Rondi Olson
Jan 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you loved the prose and detailed fantasy world of the first book in this series, be pleased to know this second book contains more of the same. Although the point-of-view character switches to the bard, Tegid, the story continues to be about Lewis/Llew, and the style continues to be about the same.

In this book, Lewis has to deal with Prince Meldron, who has ascended to the thrown, with Simon/Slawn at his side.

Quite a bit of violence on the part of the evil prince and h
X_x
May 15, 2011 rated it did not like it
Kristi
Apr 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Somewhat predictable but enjoyable nonetheless. Since the first book was told from Llew’s perspective it was a little difficult for me to get use to this book being told from Tegid’s perspective. Overall I am enjoying this series. I would say it is kind of a cross between Chronicles of Narnia and Lord of the Rings. This series does have some graphic violence but no sexual content (at least not in the first two books) which I appreciate. The series also has some subtle parallels to Christianity. ...more
Kat  Hooper
Mar 31, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audiobook
So many times a sequel doesn't satisfy, but this one does. Lawhead's story is interesting and exciting, and extremely well-written. I'm learning a lot about ancient celtic culture, too. He's done his research well.
Read more Stephen Lawhead book reviews at Fantasy literature.
Victoria Clifford
Sep 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is, in my opinion one of Stephen Lawhead's best series. This was my third reading of Silver Hand, last years 10 years ago, and it was still just as captivating. If you like Celtic lore check out. The Song of Albion trilogy.
Krista
Thoroughly enjoying this trilogy. Book #2 was so good I couldn't put it down, which means I read it in mostly one sitting with only breaks for laundry duty. Looking forward to #3!
Eclaghorn
Nov 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Better than the first book, which was amazing. S. Lawhead is my new favorite author.
Becky
Jul 15, 2017 rated it did not like it

I got to page 242. I am still in a kind of bleak head space where I'm just not able to put the work into finishing a book I am not enjoying.

This book is incredibly dated. It uses every old, tired, problematic trope in the book. I'll outline a few and then I'm calling it quits. Might go back to it someday when I have a brain again.

Trope 1: that magical fix for disabilities trope. The narrator is blinded early on in the book, but he not only gets visions of the future, but he has an "inner eye" that flairs
Juliet Foster
Jul 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The pace slows down in this, the second of the trilogy, or seems to, but when things speed up, they really shock, stun and leave you in need of a rest. I was moved to tears more than once, was shaken more than once and intrigued frequently. And I've read this book before, albeit a good quarter century ago!

There are only a handful of books that come along in a lifetime you can pick up and read again so many years later and read with equal fascination. There was much I didn't remember,
Jack Vasen
Sep 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, adventure
This second book of The Song of Albion series tells a complete story. There is at least one unfinished thread.

This books tells a story of exile and strife. The usurper king Meldron abandons all honor and wrecks havoc on all of Albion. The story moves along nicely and reaches a strong climax. This book is narrated by the Bard, Tegid. There is much sorrow both for Albion and individuals. The loss of so many was too much for my enjoyment. Probably close to a 5 star effort but since enjo
Bethany Fehr
Nov 09, 2019 rated it it was ok
I liked this story better than The Paradise War, and while I decided to continue reading the trilogy because of the wordsmithing, I wasn't incredibly impressed. I felt like the story was more about watching fate do its inevitable thing rather than about the characters making choices and solving problems. While they do make some choices and solve some problems, most of the situations that turned out well were due to the characters having visions or some other sort of mystical intervention. I knew ...more
Jared Jensen
This fantastical story continues the tale of the modern Lewis in the historic lands of Albion/Prydain. Magic and mystery are no strangers to this time and place. It is told from the viewpoint of his native friend and bard, Tegid Tathal. The two suffer as Lewis's old roommate Simon corrupts Prince Meldron into unlawfully seizing the thrown and defiling the realm. The perspective becomes interesting as the senses of the two heroes are crippled. The story is written with a bit of the old style, gre ...more
Melissa F.
Aug 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book, from Tegid's perspective (which is a big change from Llew's in the first and later third books), continues to give me all the warm fuzzy comforting familiarity feelings of the last one.

However, I have apparently changed as a reader enough that I can't overlook the blatant fridging of three of the only five women in the trilogy to even have speaking roles. It loses some points for that. It's lucky I still have so much nostalgia for the story, or it would likely lose a lot m
Steven Jacke
May 20, 2018 rated it it was ok
This book isn't bad, I just didn't enjoy it and often found myself wishing I was reading something else.

The perspective change from the first book (the first book is from a character from the real world, the second book is from one of the bards) confused me at first, and almost made the whole episode seem like filler. The larger plot of the first book - two worlds are colliding, all existence will end - is largely skipped. Instead, we have a story of rebuilding a kingdom in that othe
Ria
Jan 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A worthy successor to the first novel.
In this instalment of the Albion trilogy we find the country in turmoil, Meldryn Mawr is dead and his son, Prince Meldron has stolen the kingship from Llew (Lewis).
What entails is an epic battle to save the country from Meldron's evil dominion but only the ancient prophecy of a long awaited champion called the Silver hand can save them now.
Absolutely brilliant, sweeping in its scope and masterful storytelling.
Kurtis Vanderpool
Nov 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I almost never give 5 stars. To me, 5 stars is reserved for near perfection.

This is the closest to perfection I have found in a fantasy novel.

It is not simply an enjoyable read. It is not merely entertaining, rich, masterfully written, unexpected, unique, compelling, inspiring, and brilliant.

It is the best story I’ve ever read.

And I’m a cruel critic!
Stephen
Aug 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
While the first book was strong it n narrative....this book continues that and adds some exhilarating action scenes with some unpredictable outcomes. Found myself emotionally tied to the events and either cringing or cheering for the hero depending...anyone who abandoned this series after book 1 is missing out on a great and meaningful adventure.
Taylor Riggs
Apr 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
This, unlike the first, felt fast. Given that you now knew the characters, it was in a good way. It was dramatic and thrilling, pulling you closer to the protagonist while also helping you get to know his companions. Loved it!
Matthew Hickmott
May 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Could not get enough of this book start to finish! In my review of the first book. I stated I got the first one done in less than 24 hours! Same with this one! Absolute must read if your a fantasy fan!
Bee
Jan 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Just as wonderful as the first part but never repetitive and always full of surprises.
The change of the narrator is unexpected at first but adds a new flavour to the story that only enriches it.

Another book that is almost impossible to put down.
Ben Moore
Aug 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A stunning book. Every bit as beautiful as I have come to expect from Stephen Lawhead.

Full of wonder, heartache, horror, and triumph, this feels more like a complete saga in itself than the middle book of a trilogy!
Book
Jun 12, 2019 added it
Shelves: 2019
It's not as good as I remember, but it's still entertaining. I'll be reading on.
Juliette
Mar 04, 2018 rated it liked it
How many times are you going to ignore your bard's warnings?!?
May 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Very eloquently written. Captivating series.
Philip Quense
Jun 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An epic continuation of one of my all time favorite fantasy stories.
Rob Markley
Apr 27, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: other-novels
Middle of the trilogy.
Alex3wielki .
May 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is one of the best series I've read so far. Highly recommend to every fantasy fan.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• White: The Great Pursuit (The Circle, #3)
  • The Visitation
  • Confronting Christianity: 12 Hard Questions for the World's Largest Religion
  • Shadow Over Kiriath (Legends of the Guardian-King, #3)
  • Acceptable Risk
  • The Sapphire Rose (The Elenium, #3)
  • Smith of Wootton Major & Farmer Giles of Ham
  • The Sword of Bedwyr (Crimson Shadow, #1)
  • The Light of Eidon (Legends of the Guardian-King, #1)
  • The Dragon King (Crimson Shadow, #3)
  • Luthien's Gamble (Crimson Shadow, #2)
  • The Shadow Within (Legends of the Guardian-King, #2)
  • Relentless (Dominion, #1)
  • Merciless (Dominion, #3)
  • Nightmare (Dangerous Times, #2)
  • Fearless (Dominion, #2)
  • Vigilante (Dangerous Times, #3)
  • The Toll (Arc of a Scythe, #3)
Stephen R. Lawhead is an internationally acclaimed author of mythic history and imaginative fiction. His works include Byzantium, Patrick, and the series The Pendragon Cycle, The Celtic Crusades, and The Song of Albion.

Also see his fanpage at Myspace:

Stephen was born in 1950, in Nebraska in the USA. Mos

The Song of Albion (3 books)
  • The Paradise War (The Song of Albion, #1)
  • The Endless Knot (The Song of Albion, #3)
“What makes you so certain?"
"But I am not certain," I told him. "Nothing is certain. You want certainty?"
"Yes!"