Start by marking “The Perfect Neighbor (The MacGregors, #10)” as Want to Read:
The Perfect Neighbor (The MacGregors, #10)

The Perfect Neighbor

(The MacGregors #10)

In New York, people were supposed to ignore their neighbours. But that was a rule that Cybil Campbell had never learned. When the sunny brunette knocks on her new neighbour's door, she expected that they would make a connection - after all, she knew everyone else in the apartment block. Preston McQuinn wasn't interested in small talk. He was in Manhattan to finish a job ...more
Paperback, Silhouette Special Edition reprint, 244 pages
Published January 1st 2002 by Silhouette (first published March 1999)

To ask other readers questions about The Perfect Neighbor, please sign up.
Ronnie I love him meddling as well! Look at the fruits of his labor, they're all happily-bound! I hope Nora Roberts picks up the series since there are still…moreI love him meddling as well! Look at the fruits of his labor, they're all happily-bound! I hope Nora Roberts picks up the series since there are still a few more single Macgregors! (Example, Cybel's brother- Matthew)(less)

Start your review of The Perfect Neighbor (The MacGregors, #10)
Flannery
I discovered Nora Roberts' books my freshman year in college. Rather, my college roommate forced them on me and I devoured almost her entire catalog and still continue to do so. To this day, we have really great conversations that go something like this:

F: Oh! She is a MacGregor. Her mom was the woman with the broken-down car that married...
M: The recluse cartoonist in Maine! Right! But what about that piano one?
F: The piano player with the red-headed Stanislaski daughter?
M: Oh right, that's
Naksed
This was just okay for me. The style was more "chick lit" than "romance" and eerily similar to Kristen Ashley's goofier heroines which, for me, is not exactly a compliment. The trope of a girl pursuing a guy has also never been my favorite. (view spoiler)

Nevertheless, it was amusing overall, and the heroine had thankfully enough nerve to offset all the other spineless
Dina
The last installment in one of my favorite series. I'm really sorry to see it end, but c'est la vie.
Chitra *CJ*
Apr 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
The finale of the MacGregor series is the story of Preston and Cybil.
Cybil is a Campbell and a honorary MacGregor. She writes comic strips as a profession and lives her life to the fullest.
When a broody new neighbor Preston moves from across her hall whom she believes is penniless, she doesn't know he's a famous playwrighter and also has been given the house by Daniel.
As Preston is initially irritated, then amused and subsequently turned on by Cybil, she is in love with him very quick.
They give
Jess
I remain bitter that this is the last MacGregor book, but it's a heck of a way to go out. I feel like it shouldn't work; Preston is really basically unforgivably cruel to Cybil at moments, but somehow it does despite everything.

And I like to imagine her tv show is basically Caroline in the City, and that makes me happy.

This was a good reread. I'm glad I did it.
Carolyn
Apr 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: roberts-nora
Oh, I just hated to come to the end of the series. It was wonderful, including this book. Sigh. A series I will definitely be revisiting. ;)
Valerie
May 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
4.75 stars. Here's what happens and my reactions in a nutshell: She gets hurt by his omission of the truth and it just pulls at my heartstrings the way I love so much. Then he pretends he doesn't mind and that it's for the best. As if! Things get back to normal between them but then he messes up again and my heart goes noooo. And finally, FINALLY, he realizes he can't live without her... BUT he screws it up AGAIN!!! My poor, poor heart stopped beating for several pages then, until he professed ...more
Jill
Jul 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
amazing what audiobooks can do. I listened to the whole thing over again (I was halfway through the paperback) just today!
Love how Cybils story reflects her mothers with the reclusive hero living in close quarters. also very happy to see The MacGregor still alive and kickingI firmly believe he is still alive today meddling with his grandchildren and great-grandchildren and no one can convince me otherwise.
Cruth
Author: Nora Roberts
First published: 1999
Length: 295 pages (Large Print).
Setting: Contemporary. New York.
Sex: Infrequent. Reasonably explicit.
Hero: Playwright.
Heroine: Author/illustrator of a popular cartoon strip.

Fun and easy. Bubbly, happy, independent heroine. Stoic, withdrawn, creative hero. Lots of lust. Some romance. A bubblegum beach read.

The MacGregors:
Book 0.5 Rebellion (1988) Serena MacGregor and Brigham Langston (set in 1745)
Book 0.6 (novella) In From The Cold (1986) - Alanna Flynn
Quinn's Book Nook
Ive read a lot of Nora Robertss books. Ive mentioned before that when I first started reading romance novels, I went to her books first. The Perfect Neighbor was the very first Nora Roberts book I ever read, so right there, this book has a special place in my heart. But even if you take out the nostalgia I have for this book, The Perfect Neighbor is still a pretty great contemporary romance novel.

The Perfect Neighbor is the ninth book in the MacGregor series and focuses on Cybil Campbell,
Heidi
Apr 18, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2020-nora
The MacGregor series comes to an end with Cybil MacGregor, the daughter of Grant and Gennie from One Man's Art. Cybil is quirky, talkative, and outgoing, a direct contrast to her new neighbor across the hall -- a moody playwright named Preston McQuinn. If you loved One Man's Art, you should pick this book up (you'll see some similiarities)! This is the last chance to see what all of the MacGregors are up to, including fiesty Daniel. To hear a full discussion of The Perfect Neighbor listen to ...more
Laydee
Nov 26, 2013 rated it liked it
The main character was just too much. Very self centered and always the victim. I didn't like that. I hated that Preston always ended up groveling when he wasn't the bad guy. Cybill over stayed, created situations, then didn't like the outcome. I love the McGregor Series... This one, probably the least.
Tanya Parsons
Dec 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Re-read again for a bit of comfort reading! Good old- fashioned romance with happy endings all round. Just right when you're ill or a bit down; like a cup of hot chocolate with marshmallows and a fleecy blanket 😊
Ginny
Feb 09, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: donated, pre-2005
I enjoyed the MacGregor stories, no surprises here, but good quick romantic read.
Danielle
Mar 13, 2009 rated it really liked it
Aaaagh! Romantic cheese-fest! Love it.
Melis
Dec 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing
ı liked :) Love you Cybil & Preston
Ofelia
Apr 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
Another great book with a happy ending
Pooja
Jul 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
This was a wonderful way to end the MacGregor series, though I do wish Nora Roberts didn't leave the publisher and had been able to get the last 3 children's stories out.

This is the story of Cybil Campbell (daughter of Grant and Gennie) and Preston McQuinn. The two meet, as prearranged by Head Honcho MacGregor, in NYC when Preston moves into the apartment building. On a side note, just how rich are the MacGregors? They own an entire apartment building in NYC? And the story follows the same
Ruth Garcia
Aug 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The last of the MacGregor romance tied up this series like a tight little bow for me.

Cybil is a cartoonist, much like her father Grant. She takes pride in her work, is friendly and outgoing, talks too much, and has a huge heart. Wanting to extend a neighborly welcome, she knocks on the door to 3B and meets broody, rude, and abrupt Preston McQuinn. He's mysterious and cagey. While she thinks he's a struggling musician, her assumptions land them in a sticky mess.

Reeling from his past and his
Natasha Hagen
Jul 12, 2018 rated it liked it
Cybil was living in her own little happy world in the middle of New York city surrounded by her friends, till she got a new neighbor across the hall from her. Preston was a loner and did not care much for company. Preston liked to be by himself and didn't quite know what to do with somebody like Cybil. She burst into his life trying to help him. Little did she know that he didn't really want her help.

Preston was not sure what to do with Cybil, but everyday it became more apparent that she was
Naomi Ashwood
Oct 15, 2019 rated it it was ok
I enjoyed this book at the beginning. Cute girl, living a fun social life. In comes grumpy introvert guy. Girl gives all to guy, guy continues to be a bit of a nonchalant jerk, taking for granted all the things the girl does.

This book reminded me of a mixed bag of 1920s and 1990s. 20s because of the scenes in the jazz bar and the sex scene set up and 1990s because he is wearing black jeans and a tucked in black T-shirt with a leather jacket.

I quit reading after they visited the grandparents at
Camryn Mae
Jan 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nora-roberts
So I recently came into a collection of around 50+ older Nora Roberts books (I believe the most recent publication date was 2005) So I've been reading a ton of romance novels recently. As a complete novice to the genre my opinions on these books are not always positive. They don't seem to age very well, not having anything to do with writing Roberts writing is fantastic, but with what occurs after the couple inevitably together. Minding that I absolutely loved this book. In comparison to the ...more
Bonnie Staughton
Aug 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
I'm definitely not reading "The MacGregors" series in order as I seem to be starting out with #9!
But, as with most Nora Roberts's series, it isn't hard to follow no matter what book in the series you happen to pick up.

"The Perfect Neighbor" is the story of apartment neighbors Cybil Campbell and Preston MacGregor. A couple completely different in temperaments. It is a fast moving story and keeps your interest up. Though the story has it's ups and downs, you cheer the couple on and hope for a
Debby
Jan 19, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, roberts-nora
Cybil Campbell is the niece of Alan & Shelby MacGregor, so Daniel MacGregor treats her like another grandchild to be found a mate. Cybil is a sunny person who writes a syndicated comic strip. Daniel picks out playwrite Preston McQuinn and sends him to live in the NY apartment across from Cybil. She at first thinks he's a starving musician and tries to help him out. When she hires him as her date to escape her neighbors matchmaking, the sparks fly, but both have to overcome preconceptions and ...more
Elisa
Oct 07, 2019 rated it liked it
I generally like Nora Robert's MacGregors Series, but in this one I am not sure how much I like the couple. Cybil seems like a very nice and funny and bubbly person, while Preston is the total opposite. That could work, if he weren't a dick so often and, while she does stand up to him from time to time, she accepts it far too often for my taste, shrugging it off as "artist's behaviour", because her father had been the same way. That just doesn't do it for me. There's no excuse for being an ...more
About the book
This is not my favorite book in the series but I loved Cybil. Her standing up to Preston in the last chapter was phenomenal. Her being so strong and Preston begging her for forgiveness made it a good ending of the series. A big thank you to Nora Roberts. I loved reading the books over holidays. It kept me busy.
Kay
Oct 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017
Another Nora Roberts series I missed, The MacGregors. And again, what can I say? She writes with many twists and turns with great character development. Love her books as she usually ends all her books with a warm, fuzzy feeling. Looking forward to rest of series.
Ruthie
May 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
exceptional read, i love the way Nora Roberts weaves a tale and keeps the readers engrossed from start to finish.
Catherine Deskur
Sep 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Great writing and stellar character development.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
This book 1 2 Jul 13, 2020 02:17PM
Nora Roberts is the #1 New York Times bestselling author of more than 200 novels, including Hideaway, Under Currents, Come Sundown and coming in November 2020 -- The Awakening -- the first book in The Dragon Heart Legacy. She is also the author of the futuristic suspense In Death series written under the pen name J.D. Robb. There are more than 500 million copies of her books in print.

The MacGregors (10 books)
  • Playing The Odds (The MacGregors, #1)
  • Tempting Fate (The MacGregors, #2)
  • All The Possibilities (The MacGregors, #3)
  • One Man's Art (The MacGregors, #4)
  • For Now, Forever (The MacGregors, #5)
  • Rebellion (The MacGregors, #6)
  • The MacGregor Brides (The MacGregors, #7)
  • The Winning Hand (The MacGregors, #8)
  • The MacGregor Grooms (The MacGregors, #9)