Start by marking “100 Bullets, Vol. 8: The Hard Way” as Want to Read:
100 Bullets, Vol. 8: The Hard Way

100 Bullets, Vol. 8: The Hard Way (100 Balas #8)

4.2  ·  Rating details ·  3,702 Ratings  ·  56 Reviews
100 BULLETS VOL 8: THE HARD WAY continues to unravel the tangled mystery of the Trust as Wylie Times becomes the latest Minuteman to be reactivated by the Trusts onetime enforcer, Agent Graves. But which side will he choose? And what kind of game is Mr. Shepherd playing between the two? Includes an introduction by crime novelist Jason Starr (Twisted City, Tough Luck, Hard ...more
Published August 1st 2005 by Vertigo (first published August 2004)

To ask other readers questions about 100 Bullets, Vol. 8, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 100 Bullets, Vol. 8

Christopher
#50-58

Over 50 issues in, and we get one of the true 'Oh Shit!' moments in the series.

Erik
Jan 07, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Going backwards in a series as tightly-written as this – 100 Bullets being more of a serialized novel in graphic form than anything else – makes me a little unnerved. But as I couldn’t get my desperately grubby hands on a copy of volume eight due to there only being one measly copy in the entire Seattle Public Library system, I had to venture forth and consume volumes nine through twelve without having read this one. Which, it turns out, is pivotal point in the entire one hundred issue narrative ...more
Kelly
Oct 31, 2016 rated it liked it
The over-arching plot was expanded much more in this collection, and I enjoyed that development.
Desiree
Oct 03, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2011
Shit goes down. Croatoa. . . enough said.
William
May 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The strongest installment in the series, so far, for me. The catchy hook of earlier issues has been put on a bac-k-burner as Azzarello delves deep into the brutal world of the people behind the briefcases, handguns, and bullets.
Ambuz Basak
Jun 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Simply terrifying.
Someone shattered the mast of your ship? Not a problem. Here, take 100 bullets & a handgun, and avenge.
Tita
Jul 26, 2007 rated it really liked it
Hidupmu berjalan biasa2 saja. Yah, mungkin sebenarnya cenderung kacau, atau membosankan, tapi tetap saja berlangsung tanpa gairah. Dalam hati kecilmu, kau tau bahwa kacaunya jalan hidupmu ini adalah akibat kelakuan seseorang, yang hendak kau beri ganjaran setimpal, andai kesempatan itu ada..
Tiba-tiba, seseorang menghampirimu. Laki-laki ini berusia tengah baya namun terlihat masih tegap, berperawakan sedang, berpakaian rapih, berpotongan rambut pendek dan bertampang keras, namun tetap ramah. Ia t
Travis
Dec 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
Brian Azzarello's series, 100 Bullets, definitely contains its high points and low points. Sadly, for me, it has so far contained more lows than highs. This eighth volume, 100 Bullets, Vol. 8: The Hard Way, starts nudging the plot on the track to a discernible conclusion. We also get continued reappearances from previous characters, as the final showdown starts to take shape.

First of all, the main character of this story arc, Wylie Times, has a killer noir name. His story here is also classic no
Alan Chen
Jul 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
This volume is mostly dedicated to the reactivation of one of the last minutemen: Wylie. Takes place in New Orleans. Wylie is back in town and he has a briefcase to kill Shephard. Dizzy came with Shephard and is trying to convince Wylie that Shephard's a good man. The story twists and turns, Wylie thinks Shephard is the one that kills his beloved Rose but it turns out she's not just a simple girl. She's the daughter of one of the 13 families and her actions caused for the order to bring her down ...more
Du4
Feb 01, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels, crime
"The Hard Way" is probably my favorite collection in the series so far. It starts at the halfway mark for the series, issue #50, which features a brand new Minuteman - Victor - telling the entire backstory of the Trust and the Minutemen during a botched heist. But the real highlight of this volume is "Wylie Runs the Voodoo Down," a multi-part story featuring Wylie, Dizzy and Shephard in New Orleans. This is probably one of the best goddamn crime noir stories I have ever read, replete with the co ...more
Greg
May 21, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I typically don't review every single book I read, and am even less likely to review graphic novels, but I had to comment on this one, if only briefly.

Without revealing any details, I'll say that this particular volume of the stunning 100 Bullets series contains what is probably the most tragic moment I've ever seen in a graphic novel. I never imagined that a comic book could bring genuine tears to my eyes, but this one did it easily. You'll know what I'm talking about if you read it. Each issu
Steve
Jul 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
Dang! I wish this series was a little bit worse. Then maybe I wouldn't devour these volumes so quickly and could savour the stories more.
It's difficult to right a review for this without giving away any of the plot elements (and ultimate pleasure in seeing the story unfold as it is told). This is definitely a turning point in the series. It seems that all the players have been identified and set in motion. Like forces of nature though these characters can't be controlled so there's no telling wh
Mark Desrosiers
Mar 09, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Craig Williams
Nov 27, 2011 rated it really liked it
Charles Willis
Jul 01, 2008 rated it it was amazing
this was my favorite one so far. if you haven't read 1oo BULLETS, check out the first two trades together. the first one's okay, but it gets awesome in the second--once the bigger story starts to unravel. kinda reservoir dogs, kinda sopranos, kinda something else that rules. an old dude gives you a briefcase with 100 unmarked and untraceable bullets, untracable gun, and all the info you need to find and kill (if you want) whoever it was that ruined your life.
Mallory
Aug 01, 2011 rated it it was ok
I blew up some of the frames from this thing, mounted them on matte or foam boards, mod podged those mofos and put them up strategically in my house.

I don't really like graphic novels, I never seem to make any connection to the characters... probably something to do with the length. Luckily, this one afforded me the opportunity to make a connection with the city and was reason enough to take a look.
Annette Jordan
Joseph
Jun 28, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Worth it, if only for just the story of Gabe. Now that I think of it, Gabe's story, for some reason, reminds me of Sin City and even a tiny bit of Confederacy of Dunces (must be the setting), but of course, it fits here as well.

100 Bullets continues to mix brutality, pathos, suspense, and even humor, and it says more about my limitations than those of the book, that I'm finding it so hard to come up with new things to say about each volume.
Robert Wright
Nov 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
A truly solid book, with stories well told.

Some superior episodes here. If there is one flaw, it is that episodic nature. We're on volume 8 here, but the overarching hints and storylines seem too slow in coming by this point. Some of these need to start paying off in major ways, not just here & there.

Still, given the glut of mediocre books out there, 100 Bullets is consistently an enjoyable read.
Neil
Dec 12, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
not sure why i liked this collection more than the others so far.
wylie isn't really my favorite. perhaps it's just that new orleans
is such a fertile ground for noir, and the dialogue/little details/
disposable characters(e.g. "gabe") seem to be getting better,
without the ridiculous plot pretzel. but still not revealing
enough of the overall plot, esp. wrt/graves and shepard.
Mauritzvd
Sep 22, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Maarten De Smet
In my opinion, this is the best book of the series. Various great and interesting storylines, without ever really getting complicated. I didn't realise this the first time I've read the book, but now that I've seen New Orleans, I noticed they've really captured the atmosphere of NOLA.
The two bombs that are dropped - one in the prologue and one in the epilogue - worked very well for me.
Brendan Nicholls
Feb 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
Mixed bag of story and mythology, I liked the story in parts and was shocked by that conclusion. I honestly don't know what to think with this series, it's been a mixture of good to okay. If I didn't see things through then I would've abandoned this series by now. This was a slight improvement over the last chapter but not by much.
Matt
Aug 14, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Wylie seems to be fairly accepting of the big change in his life. As does Loop.
There is a lot more pathos in this one, so it makes the rules of the Trust and the Minutemen more interesting.
It's also nice how Azzarello continues to interject one-shots in order to show the big events affect the common people.
Cameron
May 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I missed volume 7 but decided to plough on - I didn't really miss anything other than 2 of the jailed characters meeting each other.

Wow - what a knock out - its all up in the air again! The story takes off with new players appearing, a back story of the trust and the minute men and drop outs.

Straight on volume 9 for me!
Kasey
Jul 17, 2011 rated it liked it
Having not read any of the other volumes in this series it was hard for me to follow the story. Having said that, the art was excellent and the characters seemed like some bad dudes. Liked it enough to go pick up the first book in the series.
M
Aug 01, 2011 rated it liked it
Wylie Times is back, ready to take on his mission from Graves alongside Dizzy Cordoba. As they search though Louisiana, Wylie and Dizzy uncover the truth behind Graves' Minutemen orgaization. This volume also tells the tale of trumpeter Gabe, who just wants a little respect...
Christopher
Mar 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
Beware the perils of a flying bear trap! Shhhuuudddddddeeerrrrrr!
Eliška
Sep 11, 2015 rated it it was ok
A já si říkala, že to moc nedává smysl :D on je to osmej díl :D
Anthony
Jun 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Another one of the best of all 13 volumes - definitely the best cover art.
Devowasright
Aug 10, 2009 rated it it was amazing
this just gets better and better.
  • Scalped, Vol. 5: High Lonesome (Scalped, #5)
  • Criminal, Vol. 2: Lawless (Criminal, #2)
  • DMZ, Vol. 3: Public Works
  • Ex Machina, Vol. 4: March to War (Ex Machina, #4)
Brian Azzarello (born in Cleveland, Ohio) is an American comic book writer. He came to prominence with 100 Bullets, published by DC Comics' mature-audience imprint Vertigo. He and Argentine artist Eduardo Risso, with whom Azzarello first worked on Jonny Double, won the 2001 Eisner Award for Best Serialized Story for 100 Bullets #15–18: "Hang Up on the Hang Low".

Azzarello has written for Batman ("B
More about Brian Azzarello...

100 Balas (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • 100 Bullets, Vol. 1: First Shot, Last Call
  • 100 Bullets, Vol. 7: Samurai
  • 100 Bullets, Vol. 9: Strychnine Lives
  • 100 Bullets, Vol. 10: Decayed
  • 100 Bullets, Vol. 11: Once Upon a Crime

“The trouble with "now" is that no matter how much you wish it would, it doesn't last forever. But then... other than a grudge...what does?” 9 likes