Start by marking “Architecture: Form, Space, & Order” as Want to Read:
Architecture: Form, Space, & Order

Architecture: Form, Space, & Order

A superb visual reference to the principles of architectureNow including interactive CD-ROM

For more than thirty years, the beautifully illustrated "Architecture: Form, Space, and Order" has been the classic introduction to the basic vocabulary of architectural design. The updated Third Edition features expanded sections on circulation, light, views, and site context, along
Paperback, 3rd, 448 pages
Published June 1st 2007 by John Wiley & Sons (first published 1979)

Start your review of Architecture: Form, Space, & Order
Satitiwikan sunowo
Sep 18, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ihavereadit
never aclaimed that you know or ever learning architecture if you never read...i mean really read this book. this book is like the first book to every architect or architact student in the world.

a very nice book with alot of sketch that visually fun to read. easyly understood. and it become the stong influence to all the architect hand writings. i should say this book is a legendary book
Tim
Jun 08, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Tim by: Dr. Lee Gray
Shelves: design
This book was recommended to my by a former professor and friend, Dr. Lee Gray, after I told him that I wanted to gain a basic understand of design before I read some of the other books that are on my 'design' shelf. 'Architecture: Form, Space and Order' by Francis D.K. Ching is the perfect introduction to design. Ching walks the reader through elementary design concepts starting with points and lines, and ending with hierarchy and datum as methods of order. For someone with no prior knowledge ...more
ali KDM
Feb 03, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I have read both ching books and lawson books about architecture and design. of course they look at their field from their own perspective; but there is something odd about them. ching's books look like more practical and lawson's look so theorical. but when you get to design something, it turns out you may use what you read in lawson's books more often!
I cannot make a connection between designing and what ching says in his books. you can introduce architecture and design to non-architects and
Zoha Trabelsi
An excellent introduction of explaining the principals of architechture, the basic elements of architecture, and a perspective of the building and other elements surrounding it, wih sketches and quotes about architecture.

Very simple, easy to read. Highly recommended for all architecture students.

it was useful during my second semester of architecture. <3
Safiya
Nov 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: archi-stuff
I wish I had discovered this one during my years of studying architecture. It is still a reference to which I go back every now and then to refresh my memory. I would recommend it to every architecture student, or anyone related to the industry...
A precious one !
Don
Jun 22, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Architecture: Form, Space, & Order serves as an excellent introduction to architectural design. Ching starts with the most basic elements of geometry--points, lines, planes, volumes--and demonstrates how they can be combined and organized to create architectural forms. The book is composed mostly of illustrations with short sections of text. Each topic is introduced, discussed, and illustrated with both simple drawings and schematics along with renderings of famous architectural landmarks ...more
Lauren
May 21, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I cannot be objective about this book. It was my first introduction to architectural form and my first college text book. The drawings made me want to work harder and become a better designer. It might be a novel perusal for someone with a strong interest in architecture, but probably won't be that interesting to those outside the profession.
Shannon
Aug 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: architecture
Gorgeous illustrations, very clear concepts... Love this book. One of the best design resources still available to architects and designers.
Aya Zahran
Mar 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Your guide to Architecture 101. Simple and clear with a lot of examples.

It was a big help for my projects.
Rick Sam
A Great Introductory book for Architecture for Non-Architecture.

The Book gives many example of forms, forms & space, organization, circulation, proportion & scale. It's quite intriguing to see Architectural forms of temples, churches, buildings.

If you're a non-architect and want to building a vocabulary and abstraction in Architecture, I would recommend this book. Frank Lloyd Wright's designs are all over the book.

I would recommend checking out Vitruvius & Palladio if you're
Alina
Jan 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I first had this book assigned for my first Design Workshop, I had to copy the diagrams and sketches. Since then I have always browsed it's pages for inspiration, or leisure, anyway I always learn something new. One can never actually be done reading this book. It's excellent for architecture students, and some "long-time architects" ought to take a look at it too.

Every chapter goes from a simple concept to it's complex application on a building, it reviews architecture from Mesopotamia to Louis
Kast
Mar 18, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: english, architecture
even though the first time the book seems really useless regarding learning about fundamentals of points ,line and architecture principals.Then, after having lots of studio works and design classes .its somehow helping me to describe , to know , to talk about what architecture should take .Its an enlightenment from become a carpenter . but seriously i'm enjoying all the dk ching sketches .
Alex Ott
May 15, 2010 rated it really liked it
Very interesting book - it provides information about basic blocks of architecture, and I think it's good base for the next book in my reading list: A Global History of Architecture
FloorM
Jan 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm an architecture student in my first year and this book is really useful. It clarifies certain aspects and how you can put them to use. But the main reason why I love it is because the drawings are all handmade with such precision, I'm in awe!
Arif
Aug 08, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: architecture
Architecture is really hard to understand,when it comes to the basics,it might be even more difficult to understand.But thanks to the author he made it so easy to understand.I learned a lot from this book.Every student in the field of design should read this book.
Mohammad Fahmi
THIS IS A BEST BOOK TO LEARN AN BECOME AN ARCHITECT...:)
H
Apr 16, 2010 is currently reading it
The technical drawings are fantastic.
Mohamedabdellatif
In brief, Ching was a genius guy !
thank you for your writings Mr-Ching ^^
boya :D
♫ ♪ nOUsha ♫ ♪
one of my favorite books..by DK Ching..
Pei
Sep 18, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
when are you truly done reading this?!?!
Omar Jimenez
May 16, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book, if you are starting to study architecture, you need to read this right away...
Paul
May 09, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Difficult to assess a textbook in a non-classroom setting. There were useful elements expressing different ways form and space can be organized to achieve an architectural effect. But at times, I felt like Ching was treating architecture as merely applied geometry or topology. And since these simple formal relationships are presented as the core of architecture, his examples wind up emphasizing styles that focus on these relationships at the expense of other considerations (thus the ...more
Hammad Bashir
Sep 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In any design or artistic field, the most essential concepts to grasp are the terminologies and language used by those in it. This book does that phenomenally well for Architecture. By the end you'll have a firm grasp on the basic concepts, forms and structures used by architects in the manipulation of space.
omar
Book for Hell (synonyms: Jhannam, Jaheem, university).

The way I literally singlehandedly explained this whole book and taught it to class, and my professors were the ones to get paid... ... ... Basic Design professors, if you’re reading this, you owe me money.
Esther
Jun 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4-star-ratings, adult
A nice introduction to the basic elements that make up architecture. Particularly, how form and space make up a building or transform a space. A useful reference guide for those starting out in architecture.
Ahmed
Aug 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Tons of information for architects. Essential for any beginner
Easy to understand
Alex
Mar 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Front to back, truly magnificent.
Goes surprisingly quick when you get into it, super simple language with complex themes.
Ching is a G
Derenik Baghramian
Back to Basics.
Highly recommended, perfect images and descriptions for the suggested topics.
Sujay
Mar 13, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
slept through half of it :P
Shireen Farouki
Jan 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Made me view space differently. Helps understand basic concepts of architecture.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Modern Architecture Since 1900
  • The Death and Life of Great American Cities
  • The Architecture of Happiness

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Frank (Francis D. K.) Ching (born 1943) is a widely recognized author of books addressing architectural and design graphics. Ching's books have been widely influential and continue to shape the visual language of all fields of design. He is a Professor Emeritus at the University of Washington.
“In architecture volume can be seen to be either a portion of space contained and defined by wall, floor and ceiling or roof planes or a quantity of space displaced by the mass of the building.” 9 likes
“All pictorial form begins with the point that sets itself in motion… The point moves … and the line comes into being—the first dimension. If the line shifts to form a plane, we obtain a two-dimensional element. In the movement from plane to spaces, the clash of planes gives rise to body (three-dimensional) … A summary of the kinetic energies which move the point into a line, the line into a plane, and the plane into a spatial dimension.” 1 likes