Start by marking “Compilers: Principles, Techniques, and Tools” as Want to Read:
Compilers: Principles, Techniques, and Tools

Compilers: Principles, Techniques, and Tools

This introduction to compilers is the direct descendant of the well-known book by Aho and Ullman, Principles of Compiler Design. The authors present updated coverage of compilers based on research and techniques that have been developed in the field over the past few years. The book provides a thorough introduction to compiler design and covers topics such as context-free ...more
Published 1986 by Addison-Wesley Publishing Company

Ben Haley
Sep 07, 2009 rated it really liked it
The notorious dragon book shows us the manifold concerns surrounding the translation of high-level programming languages down to the binary codes palatable by machine hardware. Where computer organization and design showed the rock bottom of computing, Aho has built a submarine necessary to descending to those depths. This allegorical submarine is old and sometimes creaky, but its iron hull shows no sign of breaking up despite the rapid changes happening on the surface.
David
Apr 03, 2008 rated it really liked it
There are certain books that everyone (in a relevant technical field) knows. Baby Rudin, CLR, Patterson-Hennessy, Golub and Van Loan, and Kernighan and Ritchie are all fine examples. The Dragon Book is another fine example, despite this odd reputation it has for being too dryly theoretical. We used it when I took compilers, and I've used it as a reference for myself when working on or teaching about compilers and interpreters. When I taught compilers, we used Appel's Modern Compiler Implementati ...more
Carpii
Mar 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: tech, own
Meat and potatoes for any aspiring software engineer.

Despite its age, this book still gives a fairly solid understanding of parser, compiler and optimisation techniques.
Its pretty dry, and heavy reading, but it shows you techniques you'll still be referring back to years later
Chandan Khatwani
Jul 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great book for detailed explanation of compilers
James Dixson
Feb 24, 2011 rated it really liked it
I have in fact read this book cover to cover. The modeling of Regex parsing in terms of language is among the most fundamental insights and transformative in my understanding of computer systems.
Jie Fu
Jun 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
I read this classic book years ago for preparing for GRE Subtest
Carter
Feb 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A classic but now bit dated but the basics in this field haven't changed much. I would speculate not knowing too much yet about certain aspects of modern compiler design research yet that one would have to in order to get a full picture look at recent PLDI and POPL proceedings. I find the text compared to say Sipser for example lacking in clarity in terms of presentation which is why I took off a star. It's a bit too note like and driven by examples as opposed to consisting of well structured ex ...more
Alfredo Amatriain
Jan 21, 2018 rated it did not like it
I've read few technical books that make such a bad attempt at being instructive. What should be an interesting subject matter is weighted by the most convoluted and hard to follow explanations imaginable. This book proves that it's not enough to be knowledgeable about a subject to write about it: you have to be able to lay out your ideas so they are no harder to grasp than necessary. That's where this book utterly fails.
Lane Surface
May 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Currently reading, but overall this book is very digestible for me. I haven't found myself easily lost. The language used is clear and comprehensive. Maybe a little dry at times, though the content is quite academic in nature, so that is to be expected.
Frederic Desgreniers
Jul 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Really good book that helps understand how compilers work. However, it's very heavy reading and somewhat outdated compared to alternatives. Would still recommend for anyone that wants to get into compilers.
Richard Callaby
Aug 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book can be a bit esoteric and hard to understand. There are several other books that go into greater detail that can help fill in the gaps that are left out of this book. I wouldn't read this book by itself to gain enough knowledge to really grasp the subject. As well, there are many good open source compilers I would recommend anyone download and examine to understand how a compiler works in this modern age.

This is a book you keep on your shelf to impress other geeks who may pass by. With
Matt
The renowned Dragon-Book. I'm happy to own the original 1986 edition with the red dragon and the knight on its cover. The cover of the newer edition (2006) is pretty dull.

I read this as part of my studies in computer-science way back when. Some people might tell you it's rather theoretical, but I don't think so. It has sparked my interest in compiler construction, formal languages and more. This interest never left me, so you can say this book was kind of a life changing read.

Update Dec.21 2014
Koen Crolla
Damned boring. The Dragon Book is one of those ones that shows up on everyone's Top \d+ CS/Dev Books list, but it's one of the ones that are there because you're supposed to be impressed with the implication that the list-maker got all the way through it, not because it's genuinely great.
It has all the information you need to write a functioning compiler for almost any kind of language you'd want to write a compiler for,† it just lays that information out in the dullest, most laborious way possi
Zerg
Dec 20, 2015 rated it it was ok
Follow along textbook for Coursera Stanford Compilers class. Definitely useful to have to flesh out details left out of lecture videos. Not necessary for doing the programming assignments.

Mediocre as a textbook. Content is fine, maybe even too many examples, but typesetting makes the text more difficult to read. Sections and terms are referenced before their definitions. Key definitions are italicized rather than bolded and indented making them hard to find. The authors instead chose to bold pro
Stuart
Jun 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is probably a 5 star book but I will admit it was over my head so I probably will appreciate it more as I grow in compiler knowledge. It's very definitive and many scholars point to this book. You need some basic prerequisite math and programming to understand this. I viewed it as a great overview of a subject I knew little about. I skipped a lot, used youtube when the water was to deep and glossed over a lot of details. This is a good reference to buy and keep on your shelf. Its to heavy t ...more
Scott King
Nov 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I took "Compilers", otherwise known as CS444, at the University of Waterloo over 20 years ago. What a fantastic course and a fantastic book! We worked in teams of 3 or 4 and developed a full-fledged compiler in one frantic term. I remember the sleepless nights (literally) leading up to the deadline, staying up probably 72 hours straight to get the last few bugs out. But it worked! The book was excellent and helped us all figure out what to do.
Ron
Jul 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Not necessarily the easiest book to read, but a good treatment of compiler and optimiser design. Although the (computer) language is dated, and there are other books that deal with more modern languages, nevertheless this gives a good foundation for understanding the issues and algorithms involved in developing programs to parse languages.
Mike Vollmer
Jul 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: compsci
This is the definitive compilers text. Just mention "The Dragon Book" to any computer scientist and they will instantly know you're referring to this legendary book. It's not easy reading, but it does everything a good, advanced textbook or reference book should do: it is succinct, complete, and holds no punches.
Jeremy West
Apr 21, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Made it through the fundamental chapters related to my intro to compilers course: scanning, parsing, type checking, and code generation. Seems to be a great resource, much better than the text assigned by the Professor. The examples and algorithms were helpful in understanding the core concepts.
Jeremy Frens
This is easily the most overrated textbook. In any discipline. Get Engineering a Compiler instead.
Randie
Aug 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
The Dragon Book - a classic! This was the text book for my "Compiler Theory" class in college (many many years ago!). This was the text book from which I learned how to use a finite state machine to compile a language given its grammar.
Zachary Marsden
Jul 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
Did not read the new chapters on optimization (read the rest of the book however). Helped clear up some things when I took Compilers in college. I feel that Louden's book is significantly better for the beginner though.
Avi
May 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
I was worried that this book would be entirely over my head, but in fact, it's very clearly written and easy to follow. The section of data flow analysis in service of optimization gets a little bit dense, though.
liyang
Jan 24, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: compiler
Good for theoretical view, but not enough for compiler development. Btw, don't use it as your first compiler book.
Christian Kotz
Jan 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: computer-science
Still probably the best general textbook on compiler design I know.
Alexis Petrounias
Oct 23, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: computation
Do not use as an introductory book to compiler construction.
Dave
Apr 03, 2008 added it
One of the handiest computer science books I own! Very well written and accessible for what could be exceedingly dry material.
Rick Eversole
Feb 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
Must have reference work for computer programmers who want to work on compilers or interpreters.
Brad
Feb 08, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: computer-science
The manual on compiler design.
Mostafa El-Abady
The textBook for Compilers' Course.

covered chapters 1...9.

• Concepts, Techniques, and Models of Computer Programming
  • Paradigms of Artificial Intelligence Programming: Case Studies in Common LISP
  • On Lisp: Advanced Techniques for Common Lisp
  • The Little Schemer
  • The Practice of Programming (Addison-Wesley Professional Computing Series)
  • Purely Functional Data Structures
  • Lex & Yacc
  • Programming Pearls
  • Real World Haskell: Code You Can Believe In
  • Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs (MIT Electrical Engineering and Computer Science)
  • The Art of UNIX Programming

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »