Start by marking “Deadfall (Alex Jensen / Jessie Arnold, #5)” as Want to Read:
Deadfall (Alex Jensen / Jessie Arnold, #5)

Deadfall

(Jessie Arnold & Alex Jensen #5)

Published July 1st 1999 by Avon Books (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Deadfall, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Deadfall

Kimberly
Sep 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This was "by wayyyyy far" my fav Jessie Arnold book. This is book 5 and the action and intrigue gets kicked up a major notch!

Someone is after Jessie. She is receiving threats in a variety of ways, but when her life has been put in danger when the breaks on her vehicle go out, its time to hide out somewhere and wait for the storm to pass. However, the storm does not pass, it follows her wherever she goes.
Its up to her "BF" Trooper Alex Jensen to find out who is harassing and threatening Jessie's
Christine
Jun 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018
It's Jessie's birthday & Alex has given her diamonds; a pair of earings. Then all hell breaks loose. Jessie finds her young female husky with her foot stuck in a steel trap inside her box outdoors in the lot. Her rear leg is pretty bad off. Alex drives her & the dog to the vet to see the extent of the injuries. She leaves her dog behid so the vet could work miracles. This is just the beginning of a series of attacks on her dogs & herself. The attacks go from bad to worse. Alex sets o ...more
Barbara
Jan 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Great story. Jessie is the main character in this book. Really enjoying this series.
Tomi
Jul 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Another mystery offering tantalizing clues and suspenseful action. I am really enjoying this series. The descriptions of Alaska make me want to visit.
Christopher Ramsay
Feb 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What a riveting story. Definitely my favorite Sue Henry book so far. A demented stalker harasses Jessie Arnold, but no-one knows why.
A game of cat and mouse ensues.
Linda
May 06, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: challenge
3.5 stars. Well written mystery that kept me guessing as Alex and Jessie solved it. Lots of outdoor wilderness action.
Sherry Hazen
Nov 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is a very good Jessie and Alex story.
Loraine
Sep 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
Iditarod musher Jessie Arnold is being stalked and terrorized by an anonymous enemy. First, one of her sled dogs is badly injured in a steel trap and an ominous note leaves no doubt that the trap was set with malicious intent. Threatening phone calls and unsigned messages follow -- pressing Alaska State Trooper Alex Jensen to urge Jessie to go into hiding while he tries to track down the source of the threats. Finally, a near fatal car crash convinces Jessie to let Alex fly her to an isolated is ...more
Bad-at-reading
One day at work I found I'd forgotten to charge my Kindle so I had to scrounge around in our meager donated library. Among some decrepit old James Pattersons (meh) and Xanth books (baaaaaaaaarffffff), this brightly-colored paperback caught my eye and I thought, "This might be tolerable." Surprise! It was tolerable and then some. The remote Alaskan setting is a great backdrop, and the story's surprises (I am a gullible reader and rarely get ahead of an author) are never too out of the blue. The w ...more
Carl Brookins
Nov 24, 2013 rated it really liked it

Sue Henry’s imagination takes flight in this thrilling novel set against the awesome natural spectacle that is Alaska. This is number five in Henry’s series that follows the adventures of Alaskan State Trooper Alex Jensen.

With her strong narrative sense in the forefront, Henry has fashioned a novel of real human dimension, which makes the contrast with the larger than life Alaskan reality all the more telling. Alex Jensen’s close personal friend and champion musher, Jessie Arnold is being stalke
Dolly
Oct 27, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Mystery fans
I think I liked the first story I read by Sue Henry, "Murder on the Iditarod Trail," better. Both were pretty violent and overly dramatic, but the thrill of the race helped that book.

This book was just drama wthout a lot of substance. I will admit that I enjoy her depiction of the landscape of Alaska, a place I've only spent minimal time in. I could visualize the remote island and thought that it would be great to explore a place like that.

The story was okay - a quick read and decent brain can
Jan C
Jun 30, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery, place
This is generally an OK series.

I wasn't that crazy about the stalker plotline. It was kind of wacky.

At first, they think that it is something personal against Jessie. Perhaps someone she beat in a race. I guess some of those mushers can have pretty thin skins where women are concerned. And then they think it is something personal against Alex. Maybe someone he arrested. But it turns out to be a little more wacky than that.

It is kind of adventurous. Alex makes Jessie leave town. She didn't rea
Quinn
Dec 20, 2012 rated it liked it
No disrespect meant by the three stars. It's a good read, and tells a story at an earlier point than the books I've been reading. I'm an omnivore reader, and three stars means I liked reading the book. I've liked other Sue Henry books more, probably because this villain is someone I don't understand well, and whose motives I don't really connect to. The resolution also comes very quickly, and the ends are tied up just as quickly. But the heroine of the book is well done, and I understand her app ...more
Joanne
May 17, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Henry’s mystery series once again follows dog sled trainer and racer, Jessie and her state trooper boyfriend, Alex. Jessie is being stalked and her dogs hurt. As she hides out on a remote Alaskan island her peaceful sanctuary is broken when she discovers she is not alone!

I like that Henry has a mystery to solve, but she combines just enough thriller, adventure and creepiness into her stories so that you are engaged. She’s not too over the top with Jessie and Alex’s romance either.
Jack
Aug 24, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: alaska
I'm a little torn on this one... the second half was much better than the first half. Probably because I thought it was going to be a rehash of book 1 - which it wasn't! Wasn't as much Alaska Lore to make it more redeaming so I gave it 2 stars. Read it quickly and as I said the end really picked up. Not bad, but not the strongest entry in the series.
Nov 30, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorite-authors
Jessie Arnold appears to have a stalker. First one of her sled dogs is injured and then she has an "accident." There are also anonymous threat letters and hang up phone calls. Alex Jensen can't figure out who would want to hurt her and she leaves her home until he can find the culprit. However, her life may be in even more danger there. This book was very good and suspenseful.
Rachel N.
Mar 04, 2009 rated it really liked it
Jessie Arnold raises and races sled dogs and she lives with state trooper Alex Jensen. Someone injures one of Jessie's dogs and starts sending her threatening notes. She escapes to Niqa Island but danger follows her. A suspensful story with lots of Alaska scenery.
Sharon
Oct 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
I enjoy these stories about Alaska and I like the suspense and mystery in this book. The author is adept at making you feel as if you are right there in the middle of the action. I am also intrigued by the characters and I look forward to the next one in the series.
Elaine
Aug 25, 2010 rated it liked it
A good summer read when you want to escape the hot climate you live in. Takes place in the rainy area around Seward on an island. I can attest to how rainy it is in this part of Alaska. Can be both dreary and
cleansing. Jessie finds herself hunted by a madman bent on revenge.
Laureen Hyman
A friend had recommended this book as one I could listen to in the car with my younger child. Not! A lot of cuss words. The story was entertaining, but definitely wasn't my favorite. I like Nevada Barr a lot better!
Lbaker
Mar 27, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery-female
Action filled, Jessie and her lead dog Tank battle an unknown stalker/attacker.
I have read many of the books in the series in the order in which I find them, and sometimes find myself "knowing" the future - but it didn't change my enjoyment of this book.
Ann
Sep 11, 2009 rated it really liked it
Another mystery as Iditarod musher Jessie Arnold is stalked and terrorized in desolate part of Alaska. Very suspenceful. I lke Sue Henry's books as they are not bloody and goory, nor have a lot of swearing and sex, but they are page turners.
Athena
Mar 28, 2008 rated it liked it
I enjoyed this book and the supense!
Jewett
Jan 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
One of the better ones in this series.
Pam Bales
Jan 22, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned, cozy
Jesse Arnold/Alex Jensen sled dog driver mystery series. This is an excellent read for cozy fans.
Matthew
Mar 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
The character development at the end of the book was a little clunky, but the characters stayed true to character, so it doesn't detract. another entertaining read!
Dan
Jul 19, 2012 rated it really liked it

This was my first novel by Sue Henry. It was well paced and a page turner.
Phyllis
Jun 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015
Exceellent. I thought I had read it before, but I don't think so. I liked all of her books; a different venue than most books I read.
Barbra
Nov 09, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
This was a quick read for me, although I did enjoy the story, I do not like stalking plots, and try to avoid them if at all possible.
Deb
Jul 24, 2010 rated it liked it
This is one of her earlier books and not as well-written as her later books. But still a good story-line.

• So Sure Of Death (Liam Campbell, #2)
  • The Essene Conspiracy
  • Death on the Aegean Queen (Dotsy Lamb, #3)
  • CrossFire
  • Found and Lost (Haven Seekers #2)
  • Christmas Stalking (Guardians, Inc., #4)
  • Talon: Combat Tracking Team (A Breed Apart, #2)
  • Wolf Pass
  • Design for Great-Day
  • Shadowing Stella (Endless Mountain #1)
  • A Brace of Bloodhounds
  • Blood Money Murder (A Shay O'Hanlon Caper, #5)
  • Brute Strength (A Dog Lover's Mystery, #19)
  • A Dangerous Stage (Protection for Hire, #2)
  • Frozen Sun (Nathan Active Mystery, #3)
Sue Henry is the author of six novels in her award-winning Alaska mystery series: Murder on the Iditarod Trail, Termination Dust, Sleeping Lady, Death Takes Passage, Deadfall, and Murder on the Yukon Quest. She has lived in Alaska for almost aquarter of a century, and brings history, Alaskan lore, and the majestic beauty of the vast landscape to her mysteries. Based in Anchorage, where she teaches ...more

Jessie Arnold & Alex Jensen (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Murder on the Iditarod Trail (Alex Jensen / Jessie Arnold, #1)
  • Termination Dust (Alex Jensen / Jessie Arnold, #2)
  • Sleeping Lady (Alex Jensen / Jessie Arnold, #3)
  • Death Takes Passage (Alex Jensen / Jessie Arnold, #4)
  • Murder on the Yukon Quest (Alex Jensen / Jessie Arnold, #6)
  • Beneath the Ashes (Alex Jensen / Jessie Arnold, #7)
  • Dead North (Alex Jensen / Jessie Arnold, #8)
  • Cold Company (Alex Jensen / Jessie Arnold, #9)
  • Death Trap (Alex Jensen / Jessie Arnold, #10)
  • Murder at Five Finger Light (Alex Jensen / Jessie Arnold, #11)