Start by marking “Inherited Danger (The Dawning of Power, #2)” as Want to Read:
Inherited Danger (The Dawning of Power, #2)

Read Book

Inherited Danger

(The Dawning of Power #2)

Alternate Cover Edition for ASIN B003ZUYQE8

Catrin leaves her homeland behind as she goes in search of knowledge and peace, unaware that she will face the greatest evil her world has ever known.
Published by Amazon Digital Services (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Inherited Danger, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Inherited Danger

Mikaela Robertson
Aug 18, 2015 rated it liked it

The second book in the Dawning of Power series. It was an adventurous, interesting read. There were many more interesting characters in this one, which made it enjoyable. As far as fantasy books go, it’s fairly average and you won’t be disappointed with it. I read it quickly but not urgently, and as with the first book, there were many times I had to just ignore that voice in my head saying “what the?” and “as if,” and “you’ve got to be kidding me”. As with the first book, if you’re looking for
Jason
Mar 25, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: e-books, read-2014
3 Stars

Inherited Danger by Brian Rathbone, book two in the Dawning of Power Series. . This is a traditional fantasy with a coming of age story at its center. Like book one, the writing and the world building made this book a real page turner and the short length did not hurt either. I enjoyed this book as it fits right into my personal taste.

This second book is an overall fun read, but it could have been so much more. The unfortunate thing about this book is that nothing happens for more than a
Karen
Oct 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The journey

Catrin, the Herald of Istra, travels with her guardians to the land of her mother's birthplace to learn to control her powers. During this book, she grows from a girl to a woman, makes hard decisions, watches people she loves fall to the enemy, and is called to make the ultimate sacrifice. The story is well told and I'm looking forward to the next book.
Jul 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This book draw me in so completely that I started the third one immediately upon the conclusion of this one. If you are a fan of the fantasy genre, you will enjoy this series. There is plenty of action without pure gore, magic without preachiness and an overall sense of the good of humanity contained within.
Evgeny
Aug 25, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Not as good as the first book with some very long descriptions, but still warrants 3 stars. The plot: a humble farm girl suddenly becomes the most powerful mage destined to save the world. Bad guys interfere.
Volpot
Sep 30, 2018 rated it liked it
I previously reviewed the first book in this trilogy: Call of the Herald. Everything I said in that review basically stands for this book and the next as well. Understandably so, since it's apparent that all 3 books were likely written at the same time as a single book and split for convenience.

Now books 2 and 3 being the same as book 1 has good and bad points. The good is that the story is still interesting and the main character is still engaging.

However, the deficiencies become increasingly d
Cyrano
Oct 06, 2018 rated it liked it
Pretty familiar storyline, where a young farmperson from a secluded unremarkable place becomes The Chosen One and they use their newfound powers to save the kingdom/galaxy.
I am torn on this book. I find the author's voice and the main character grating for a reason I cannot nail down, I'm annoyed by how often characters seem to just psychically 'know' things, but I'm interested in the story and finding out where it goes. I picked up the second book, hoping to resolve this conflict, and found lit
Gayle Hill
Feb 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I got this book and book one, free, so I read them. I really liked them.

The characters are well written. I could see each in my minds eye. Everything was easy to follow and understand.
Sjoerd
Jan 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, e-book
A nice sequel to a nice book. A well-written story continues with the same characters and introduces some new characters with their own POV. This was confusing at times, but I'm sure it sets up for a great third, concluding book.
Becky Christensen
Great Heroine

Loved the building of relationships in this novel. This would be a great series for middle grade fantasy readers. Another world for readers to be drawn into.
Brenda .
Mar 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great read. I enjoyed the adventures of Caitlin. Can't wait to read the next one.
Warren
Nov 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice continuation

An intriguing sequel. Keeping things moving Catrin meets the challenges, meets new people. Well written and developed. Good young adult book.
Belinda
Oct 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Full of danger

The book is fraught with one danger for Catrin and her guardians after another. One wants to read more to see what happens next.
G L Meisner
Nov 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
The story is an interesting expansion on the first book. A young woman's attempts to stay alive because she is being hunted for existing makes for a compelling story.
Ed Underfinger
Oct 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
With a world in danger, opposing factions of magic, and even a hint of dragons, this is classic fantasy.
Kathy Brickert
Sep 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Epic

A great tale that continues on! Such a great story of so many characters! It's hard to see where the journey will go from here, but it keeps you reading! Great read!
John Champneys
Jun 16, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: skiffy
I keep on thinking that there must be different ways to write a review Of late I've been reading a slew of books, then taking a day breather before moving onto the next one. Reading interests me much more than the chore of writing about what I've read and besides, I think a book's spell lasts better if you don't keep on about it too much. You want to bask and submit yourself without communicating it all. So I've been reading the first volume of trilogies, and then leaving them well alone. After ...more
Benjamin Spurlock
Feb 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction, fantasy
(Full disclosure: My copy of this audiobook was a gift of the author, and he and I communicate on Twitter.)

It seems like every author struggles in the sequel. On the one hand, if the first story was good, it sets up expectations for the story that the author might not be able to fulfill. On the other hand, the sequel is also the place where more of the hard work of building the series must take place, which takes the wild stallion of the first book and brings it to the cart of the overarching st
Ruth
Feb 14, 2012 rated it did not like it
Shelves: spec-fic
C2009. Right – so I started off on the wrong foot as I soon discovered this was the second in the series which I usually do not even bother to start to read. I have tried to do this in the past but to no avail. However, the story started off really well and before I knew it, I was well into the story. But then I started to find it harder and harder to pick the book up and continue reading. I was muttering whilst reading it thinking that the main character should be called Saint Catrin and toward ...more
Angie ~aka Reading Machine~
Book exchanged for a review~Per se Goodreads rules

Catrin Volker has departed from the Godfist aboard The Slippery Eel towards the next part of her journey to Greatland. She's been separated from Strom, Osbourne, Chase, and Benjin she doesn't know if they are alive or dead back on Godfist. Catrin is not sure how much more loss she can endure. Nat Dersinger and Vertook are Catrin's only companions on The Slippery Eel. Nat wants to talk to Catrin but is unsure how to approach her. He eventually gat
Toi Thomas
Feb 21, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed, fantasy

This book picks up just after the end of the first book…because it had too. Needless to say I didn’t like the way the first book ended, but since it rolled over so evenly into the second one, I was more opened-mined to continue reading the story. (I bounced back and forth between listening and reading on my Kindle.)

In this follow-up to the Call of the Herald, Catrin goes on a “Lord of the Rings” type journey in search of…I think, the understanding of her power. The style of this story seemed a
Bob
May 13, 2015 rated it liked it
The premise of this book is very good. Technically this book is way above most Indie published books. (correct spelling, good grammer, use of punctuation, etc.).

However, the book is like an old car I once bought ("Needs work" was what I was told). Everything ran smoothly for a time, then the car started gasping - not enough oxygen to mix with the gas. There were places in the book where the sludge plugged the story up. Other places where things just stopped - the purification ritual just dragged
Caffee K.
Dec 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: YA, young adult fantasy readers, anyone who is young at heart and enjoys a rousing good tale.
Shelves: rathbone
Brian Rathbone has done it again. This is a wonderfully enthralling sequel to Call of the Herald.

Now that the party makes it to the Greatland from the Godsfist, the action heats up. Catlin follows through with her intended itenerary, though the actual travel path is not exactly what was intended. She discovers more about her past along the way, as well as about the pasts of her Guardians. Some of it's good, some of it's not so good. A wonderful blend of imperfection in the characters that makes
Lindsay
Mar 17, 2012 rated it liked it
Well that was a surprise. This book did not go in the direction I thought it would.

But anyways here goes.

Free ebook: The price i would willingly pay for this: £0.99

The Bad:

1. The story took a little to long to get going, we journeyed for a long time before anything really happened.
2. Without wanting to say to much, the reconciliation between Ctrin and her Grandmother happened a little to quickly for my tastes (which i know is odd considering point number one, but if we had journeyed less then th
Christy
Pete Harris
Sep 10, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: ya, fantasy
Catrin Volker is still a likeable character, and the pace is picked up a little from the first book. A few characters get killed, and the stakes are higher.

It's ironic that the great nation Catrin is prophesied to destroy is endangering its own destruction more by trying to stop her, and you have to wonder about that a little, but it's enjoyable watching it play out.

If you enjoyed the first book, you'll want to read this one to see what happens next, and after that, you'll probably want to read
John Carroll
May 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
An excellent sequel. New details and suspense begin to unfold. New characters are added that are even more likeable. One of the things I like most about fantasy is that the authors always tend to was philosophical. Catrin explores her senses and how they relate to the world and other life around her. The concept of powers beyond the mortals and how they relate to supreme being/s really comes through.

There is more adventure and danger at every step of the way. The world is on the brink of destruc
Gerold Whittaker
Aug 25, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy, ebook
Book 2 of a trilogy:
Catrin now believes she is the Herald and her destiny is to save her people from the Zjhon. To do that though, she needs to first recover her strength. In the mean time, the Zjhon have a secret weapon which she needs to destroy before it destroys her people. Will she have the strength to fulfil her destiny?

Some of the issues I commented on for book 1 (Call of the Herald) hold true for this book as well (story too slow, chapters protracted) but this one is better.

A free ebook
Roderick Baxter
Aug 06, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Monks, Mages and Moonstones.

Monks, Mages and Moonstones.

Catrin and the crew are on the move towards her destiny. First stop the monastery. It is time to learn how to control her power. Time for the crew to learn a few skills as well.
After discovering that she needs to destroy a statue of power, and a sudden attack on the monastery, Catrin and Benjin need to be on their way, sooner than expected.
Upon arrival at Catrin's family home she soon finds out that she will be forced into a marriage, whe
isaac rosado
No thanks.

While I like the characters in the book, minus the main, I dislike the needless and sudden killing of them that many authors these days seem to think necessary to create a work of art. Its cliche and in this case, random and doesnt even make sense for the setting/environment for why or how it happened.

The biggest reason I dislike this book/series is because the main character never really learns anything and is forever being rushed for point A to point B with some new reason or excuse
« previous 1 3 next »

• Night Birds' Reign (Dreamer's Cycle, #1)
  • Legon Awakening (Legon, #1)
  • Sanctum's Breach (Delver Magic, #1)
  • The Black God’s War Preview
  • The Stolen Moon of Londor (The White Shadow Saga, #1)
  • Raven's Heart: A Tale from the World of Secramore
  • The Gods of Dream
  • My Sparkling Misfortune (The Lakeland Knight #1)
  • Shadow Games (Shadow People, #1)
  • Demonsouled (Demonsouled, #1)
  • In the House of Five Dragons
  • Gifted Apprentice
  • The Riddler's Gift (Tales of the Lifesong, #1)
  • The Making of Legend (Cerebral Network, #1)
  • Shadow of the Sun (Timeless, #1)
  • The Gateway (The Harbinger of Doom Saga, #1 novella length)
  • Embers (The Guild of the Cowry Catchers, #1)
  • The Pocket Watch (The Trinity Saga, #1)
Fantasy author Brian Rathbone
A former horse trainer and computer programmer, Brian Rathbone used his old world knowledge and love of fantasy fiction to create The World of Godsland fantasy series, which begins with The Dawning of Power trilogy.

The World of Godsland fantasy series includes:

Regal
The Fifth Magic
Dragonhold
The Seventh Magic

The Dawning of Power (3 books)
  • Call of the Herald (The Dawning of Power, #1)
  • Dragon Ore (The Dawning of Power, #3)
“The souls of heroes are forged by the gods and tempered with the pain of life.” 11 likes
“Each of us is uniquely qualified for some task. We have but to find it.” 8 likes