Start by marking “Understanding Cryptography: A Textbook For Students And Practitioners” as Want to Read:
Understanding Cryptography: A Textbook For Students And Practitioners

Understanding Cryptography: A Textbook For Students And Practitioners

Cryptography is now ubiquitous - moving beyond the traditional environments, such as government communications and banking systems, we see cryptographic techniques realized in Web browsers, e-mail programs, cell phones, manufacturing systems, embedded software, smart buildings, cars, and even medical implants. Today's designers need a comprehensive understanding of applied ...more
Published October 19th 2011 by Springer (first published December 10th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Understanding Cryptography, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Understanding Cryptography

Start your review of Understanding Cryptography: A Textbook For Students And Practitioners
Aventinus
Nov 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
Εξαιρετικά γραμμένο.

Αρκετά από τα κεφάλαια τα γνώριζα ήδη, για αυτό η ανάγνωσή μου ήταν επιλεκτική και κυρίως αφορούσε τα σημεία που ήθελα φρεσκάρω. Παρόλα αυτά δεν δυσκολεύομαι να πω πως το βιβλίο έχει καταπληκτική δομή, απλή γλώσσα και αποφεύγει τα πολλά μαθηματικά, όπως ακριβώς θα έπρεπε να είναι ένα εισαγωγικό βιβλίο κρυπτογραφίας.

Σίγουρα θα το επισκεπτώ ξανά όταν χρειαστεί να θυμηθώ κάποιο συγκεκριμένο κεφάλαιο και το προτείνω ανεπιφύλακτα σε όποιον ξεκινάει την ενασχόληση του με την κρυπ
Michael
Apr 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: computing
I used this as a companion to the author's 2-semester lecture series, which is freely available on YouTube or on the book's own website: http://www.crypto-textbook.com. I found it very useful for brushing up on some topics in some more detail after watching the lectures. In general this is a very practical introduction to the topic of cryptography that doesn't shy away from the maths but also does not require any prior knowledge of any of the advanced mathematical topics.
Areej M.
Apr 22, 2016 marked it as to-read-english
you can watch a lecture of Prof. paar based on this book on you tube : introduction to cryptography (24 lecture / 1.30 h)
Kamal
Jun 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It's a awesome book for learning cryptography I highly recommend this book to everyone that wants to start learning cryptography and L also recommend to watch prof. Christof Paar's course in youtube based on this book.
Scott Johnson
Aug 13, 2017 rated it liked it
This was a mistake on my part. I eventually just skimmed a lot of this for the principles and overall concepts, as this isn't a topic to study any more in depth than that without the ability to actually take notes, do the math, and work out the problems.

That said, it seems thorough and well-written. I think the expectations of mathematical prerequisites could be more detailed, as there is a great deal of number theory and the author mentions you really just need calculus.

Murray
Dec 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
The only book on the subject I actually read, from cover to cover. Parts of it were tough sledding, especially the stuff about Galois Fields (aka Finite Fields). Galois was an interesting, but profoundly tragic guy. He certainly didn't live long. His work didn't gain prominence or recognition til the 20th century. There is a book on his life, but I already know how it ends. There it was... the familiar twang of irony.
Ro Givens
Dec 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book was a good foundation for my cryptography class, although a few points about ciphers used are now a bit out of date. Some of the math is a little advanced for undergraduate computer science students, but general ideas can be gleaned about ciphers requiring Galois theory or elliptic curves, for instance, without formally covering those topics. Overall I enjoyed reading and using this book for my class.
Karima Hussein
Oct 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019, cs-programming
I read this book for a subject in my last semester this year
the professor's lectures are amazing.
I really enjoyed the subject -which was surprising-
Amelia Treader
Sep 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
A book from my alternative reality (i.e. what I do to eat) has sneaked in. One of the better expositions, though not quite as broad-based as it could be. Thorough, correct and comprehensible. It's hard to expect much more from a book.
Marco
May 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
Interesting introduction, with a good balance between mathematical aspects and practical protocols.
Ro Drop
Jan 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Good book. Watched videos of his class too. Videos definitely helped with understanding the math and processes. His lectures are on youtube.
Dhruvrathod
Dec 29, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• How To Read Water: Clues & Patterns from Puddles to the Sea
  • A Raisin in the Sun
  • The Code Book: The Science of Secrecy from Ancient Egypt to Quantum Cryptography
  • 나 혼자만 레벨 업 5 [Solo Leveling] Novel
  • 나 혼자만 레벨 업 11 [Solo Leveling] Novel
  • 나 혼자만 레벨 업 13 (완결) [Solo Leveling] Novel
  • The Better Angels of Our Nature: Why Violence Has Declined

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
“Interestingly, differential cryptanalysis was first discovered in the research community in 1990. At this point, the IBM team declared that the attack was known to the designers at least 16 years earlier, and that DES was especially designed to withstand differential cryptanalysis. Finally,” 0 likes
“There are exceptions, for instance, the popular stream cipher RC4. •” 0 likes