Start by marking “Why Do I Still Have Thyroid Symptoms? When My Lab Tests Are Normal: A Revolutionary Breakthrough In Understanding Hashimoto's Disease and Hypothyroidism” as Want to Read:

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  921 ratings  ·  84 reviews
Why Do I Still Have Thyroid Symptoms? was written to address the true causes of hypothyroidism in this country and how to manage them. The vast majority of hypothyroid cases are being treated inappropriately or misdiagnosed by the standard health care model. Through my exhaustive research and clinical experience, Dr. Kharrazian has discovered what really causes hypothyroid ...more
Published February 2nd 2010 by Morgan James Publishing (first published 2009)

Be the first to ask a question about Why Do I Still Have Thyroid Symptoms? When My Lab Tests Are Normal

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Start your review of Why Do I Still Have Thyroid Symptoms? When My Lab Tests Are Normal: A Revolutionary Breakthrough In Understanding Hashimoto's Disease and Hypothyroidism
Rachel
Jan 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I wanted to edit my review for those who have thyroid issues and struggle with the medicine/doctor's visits/etc. I had every symptom but one for low thyroid (cold, dry skin, losing hair, etc.) yet all of my lab tests always showed normal so doctors would dismiss the low thyroid symptoms. I was so tired from being tired all the time that I ended up researching doctors who might believe my symptoms instead of the tests and found a "specialist" in my city (supposably one of the best doctors for thy ...more
Joy
May 25, 2011 rated it did not like it
While the information is mostly good, I needed actual advice, not 'go find a doctor who I've trained so you can give them all your money' type advice. In any case, living outside the US makes THAT particular advice useless.
Elyse  Walters
Dec 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This was a very helpful/useful book. I finished it today. My husband is now reading it. (he's incredibly supportive --pro-active --a wonderful husband!!!), --in helping me make do 'my part' to FEEL BETTER and improve my health. I've been pretty damn sick most of te year.
I've many-MORE-food restrictions. (not making social-eating-fun-what-so-ever).
The times I 'cheat' (as FRICK THIS) --I get REALLY sick for 'days'.
Its taking work, (fighting depression to boot), to change habits -desires & lifestyl
Monika
Mar 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is the first book on Hashimoto's and hypothyroidism that actually explains that the problem in most cases is not the thyroid but the immune system and that in order to get better, you have to reduce inflammation, repair your gut, get your blood sugar in order, support your adrenals, support your brain, and get your other hormones, especially estrogen, to normal levels. Most of the other books that I've read on this topic basically tell you that you need to be taking thyroid hormone and that ...more
Rachel B
Mar 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book has been incredibly helpful when it comes to identifying what exactly is causing my hypothyroidism. Kharrazian identifies six types, and details which lab test results and symptoms reflect each type.

I did get a little discouraged reading, though, because the author is constantly referring the reader back to a functional practitioner for testing, evaluation, supplements, etc. Many people such as myself are unable to find and/or fund a wonderful doctor who actually takes us seriously, so
Kay
Jan 24, 2015 rated it did not like it
This book is kind of like an infomercial. I, for one, am not about to go out and spend money on this guy's supplements. I've done enough research on my own before reading this book to be moderately informed about my own condition, so I found the information annoyingly repetitious (I get it, gluten is bad!) and not well-written. I recommended that people read Chris Kresser's short and concise eBook on Thyroid Disorders instead.
Lorraine
May 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This is the answer to 20 years of trying to figure out what is wrong with my health. Has changed my life!
Michelle
Apr 14, 2012 rated it it was ok
Some interesting information, but it seems like this book was written primarily to promote the author's very expensive protocols and supplements.
ALLISON
Jun 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is fantastic i love it,very good book
Robin S.
Dec 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: health
After seeing five specialist's advising that the symptoms that they were being paid $350 an hour for to diagnose correctly, and getting the "It was all in my head" scenario again. And the never-ending research including trail and error that we all put ourselves though without telling our doctors so as to not get in trouble, this book will-if not 100% be your answer to all of the above it will be the most blessed thing close to it.
This book came highly recommended from a super friend in the medic
Tiffany
Jun 28, 2011 rated it really liked it
I loved the perspective of this book, which focused on what it means to be healthy versus what it means to be sick, and the fact that many doctors are less focused on healthy patients. When we are "sick" doctors give us medicine and make us better, but they do not focus on their patients truly being healthy. This is a book that must be used in conjuntion with a doctor/naturopath/etc that understands these principles. The recommendations in this book are not to be done without the help of a profe ...more
Pixiechicken
Mar 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I am going through this book as slowly as I can, to increase absorption and greater understanding. Yesterday, I was supposed to take an allergy test. Since I read that I need to know if I am TH1 or TH2 dominant, I am choosing the test that includes most of the stimulants for both, that way I can see which I am. I have learned more from this book than all the time with my idiot of an old doctor. Now I've found a naturopath who studied under Dr K and will actually address my hashimoto's.
Zac Stojcevski
Sep 09, 2015 rated it it was ok
Very well written and informative though I found it too prescriptive. But for the grace of god go I - fortunately I have none of the associated health problems. Reading this from cover to cover therefore had minimal utility and there is a curative rather than a preventive slant to the approach. Reading Kharrazian's other exhaustive tome, much of what is contained in this book is appropriately added to the larger book and is therefore my pick.
Lorraine Coleman
May 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
Although I've always known that Hashimoto's is an autoimmune disease, most of my doctors have said take synthroid and you will be fine. This book has explained why I need to do more, especially supporting my immune system. And that I wasn't crazy for still feeling ill and tired while taking the "correct" amount of synthroid.
danelle
Jun 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
His focus is on Hashimotos, but his overview of the endocrine system is awesome. It doesn't talk down to the reader, but offers clear medical explanations of very complicated systems. I don't have thyroid problems and I still feel like I have a real understanding of medical problems that have confused and plagued me for years. Absolutely fantastic.
Brianna
Jan 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
One of the "better" thyroid books I've read so far. I appreciated the chapters on hashimoto's, though what I'm finding is that this autoimmune disease manifests itself in such different ways depending on the person. This makes it incredibly frustrating and isolating. Also can lead to information overload - which is where I am.
Gry Ranfelt
Apr 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
A good solid book with a lot of information that didn't make it into the brain book, because that book has another focus. One thing I lament in both of his books is all of this focus on blood sugar and Standard American Diet and no mention of the issues in people who already eat like he says to and are still feeling horrible.
Myra
Jan 13, 2012 rated it liked it
I would highly recommend this book to someone with Hashimoto's Disease, as it gives insights into understanding what's going on, and better yet, what to do about it.
Joni
Jan 17, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: medical-info
great info at the beginning, bogs down with too much scientific info for the lay reader to take in and understand.
Jennifer Hansen
Jun 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I feel you have any kind of thyroid issue you need to read this book. Dr. K is a leader in treating brain and thyroid issues and the info is eye opening.
Rachel
Sep 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Helpful info on possible causes for thyroid issues. This book has a lot of scientific language and jargon, but is still understandable and has plenty of real life patient stories and examples. TBD if any of this is actually legit and helps address my health issues or not. I'll come back to it after I actually get the blood tests.
Karin
Jun 04, 2019 rated it liked it
This one had some really great explanations and lots of lovely citations. Some of the conclusions are still totally reaching and I wish there was better science for his testing and supplementation. The appendices were beautiful.
Linda D. Mansker
May 01, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have Hashimoto's Syndrome, and could never get a straight answer on what it was our how to deal with it. Each new physician said something different and little was written about it. Still fumbling along, but I did get a better understanding of how too live with it, from this book.
Kailey (BooksforMKs)
Jun 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Very informative and helpful
Yanal
May 05, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: health
A must read book for anyone dealing with thyroid conditions
Nancy
Oct 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An excellent book, full of information and help for the person who has Hypothyroidism. I appreciated all the testimonies and the detail included. Highly recommended.
Dianne Oliver
Jul 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: health
Learned some things I was unaware of concerning Hashimoto's. It never hurts to arm oneself with the info. as this is not the stuff the endocrinologist will tell you. A validating book that explains that the problems one faces with Hashimoto's is not just a quick fix, i.e. synthroid, and away you go. It is, rather, a disease that is autoimmune in nature. If you approach it with that frame of mind you will begin to change your dietary and exercise approach, as well as understanding that there are ...more
Lizzie Jones
Dec 14, 2016 rated it liked it
I thought this was interesting, but not especially life-changing. Some of the information in here was a bit hokey. I read this because I've had some concerns about Hashimotos in the past and was curious about the science behind the disease, but this didn't open my eyes much to the truth behind the research.
Sara
Dec 10, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: food-health
I have advanced Hashimoto's (TSH 107 when not on meds... no, that's not a typo), and feel awful despite being on several different drugs. I did not find this book to be very helpful. There's not much advice here that you can follow on your own, and the "doctors" that the author recommends seeing to guide you through her impossible regimen of tests, diet changes and supplements you've never heard of, have terrible reputations for taking advantage of sick people (at least the ones in my area do). ...more
Natalie
Apr 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book goes into great detail about how messed up our thyroids can be even though the lab tests come back normal. I can relate! He gives the background as to how this happens, what those of us with potential thyroid issues can do to help, many scenarios to help troubleshoot and lots of more natural supplements and ingredients to help get back normal function. He doesn't necessarily make me think I should treat my own thyroid, but he gives me tons of ideas to talk with my doctor about. The boo ...more
« previous 1 3 next »

• Hashimoto's Thyroiditis: Lifestyle Interventions for Finding and Treating the Root Cause
  • Hashimoto's Protocol: A 90-Day Plan for Reversing Thyroid Symptoms and Getting Your Life Back
  • The Hormone Cure: Reclaim Balance, Sleep, Sex Drive and Vitality Naturally with the Gottfried Protocol
  • Stop the Thyroid Madness
  • Adrenal Fatigue: The 21st Century Stress Syndrome
  • The Thyroid Connection: Why You Feel Tired, Brain-Fogged, and Overweight - and How to Get Your Life Back
  • Undoctored: Why Health Care Has Failed You and How You Can Become Smarter Than Your Doctor
  • A Dead End (Saints & Strangers, #1)
  • How Do Dinosaurs Say Happy Birthday?
  • Lavender Blue Murder (A Tea Shop Mystery #21)
  • The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire
  • Practicing Our Faith: A Way of Life for a Searching People
  • After the Ecstasy, the Laundry: How the Heart Grows Wise on the Spiritual Path
  • Coconut Layer Cake Murder (Hannah Swensen #25)
  • Was wir sind und was wir sein könnten: Ein neurobiologischer Mutmacher
  • Power Up Your Brain: The Neuroscience of Enlightenment
  • One Spirit Medicine: Ancient Ways to Ultimate Wellness
  • Mars
Dr. Datis Kharrazian a research fellow at Harvard Medical School and the Department of Neurology at Massachusetts General Hospital. His research focuses on toxicology, neuroimmunology, and autoimmunity.

News & Interviews