Start by marking “Why Do I Still Have Thyroid Symptoms? When My Lab Tests Are Normal: A Revolutionary Breakthrough In Understanding Hashimoto's Disease and Hypothyroidism” as Want to Read:

3.99  ·  Rating details ·  797 Ratings  ·  80 Reviews
Why Do I Still Have Thyroid Symptoms? was written to address the true causes of hypothyroidism in this country and how to manage them. The vast majority of hypothyroid cases are being treated inappropriately or misdiagnosed by the standard health care model. Through my exhaustive research and clinical experience, Dr. Kharrazian has discovered what really causes hypothyroid ...more
Published February 2nd 2010 by Morgan James Publishing (first published 2009)

Be the first to ask a question about Why Do I Still Have Thyroid Symptoms? When My Lab Tests Are Normal

Rachel
Jan 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I wanted to edit my review for those who have thyroid issues and struggle with the medicine/doctor's visits/etc. I had every symptom but one for low thyroid (cold, dry skin, losing hair, etc.) yet all of my lab tests always showed normal so doctors would dismiss the low thyroid symptoms. I was so tired from being tired all the time that I ended up researching doctors who might believe my symptoms instead of the tests and found a "specialist" in my city (supposably one of the best doctors for thy ...more
Elyse
Dec 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This was a very helpful/useful book. I finished it today. My husband is now reading it. (he's incredibly supportive --pro-active --a wonderful husband!!!), --in helping me make do 'my part' to FEEL BETTER and improve my health. I've been pretty damn sick most of te year.
I've many-MORE-food restrictions. (not making social-eating-fun-what-so-ever).
The times I 'cheat' (as FRICK THIS) --I get REALLY sick for 'days'.
Its taking work, (fighting depression to boot), to change habits -desires & life
Joy
May 25, 2011 rated it did not like it
While the information is mostly good, I needed actual advice, not 'go find a doctor who I've trained so you can give them all your money' type advice. In any case, living outside the US makes THAT particular advice useless.
Monika
Mar 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is the first book on Hashimoto's and hypothyroidism that actually explains that the problem in most cases is not the thyroid but the immune system and that in order to get better, you have to reduce inflammation, repair your gut, get your blood sugar in order, support your adrenals, support your brain, and get your other hormones, especially estrogen, to normal levels. Most of the other books that I've read on this topic basically tell you that you need to be taking thyroid hormone and that ...more
Selu
Jan 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Excellent resource for anyone with an autoimmune thyroid issue. This is the resource I've been looking for for ten years.
Rachel B
Mar 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book has been incredibly helpful when it comes to identifying what exactly is causing my hypothyroidism. Kharrazian identifies six types, and details which lab test results and symptoms reflect each type.

I did get a little discouraged reading, though, because the author is constantly referring the reader back to a functional practitioner for testing, evaluation, supplements, etc. Many people such as myself are unable to find and/or fund a wonderful doctor who actually takes us seriously, so
Lorraine
May 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This is the answer to 20 years of trying to figure out what is wrong with my health. Has changed my life!
Michelle
Apr 14, 2012 rated it it was ok
Some interesting information, but it seems like this book was written primarily to promote the author's very expensive protocols and supplements.
ALLISON
Jun 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is fantastic i love it,very good book
Robin S.
Dec 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: health
After seeing five specialist's advising that the symptoms that they were being paid $350 an hour for to diagnose correctly, and getting the "It was all in my head" scenario again. And the never-ending research including trail and error that we all put ourselves though without telling our doctors so as to not get in trouble, this book will-if not 100% be your answer to all of the above it will be the most blessed thing close to it.
This book came highly recommended from a super friend in the medic
Tiffany
Jun 28, 2011 rated it really liked it
I loved the perspective of this book, which focused on what it means to be healthy versus what it means to be sick, and the fact that many doctors are less focused on healthy patients. When we are "sick" doctors give us medicine and make us better, but they do not focus on their patients truly being healthy. This is a book that must be used in conjuntion with a doctor/naturopath/etc that understands these principles. The recommendations in this book are not to be done without the help of a profe ...more
Pixiechicken
Mar 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I am going through this book as slowly as I can, to increase absorption and greater understanding. Yesterday, I was supposed to take an allergy test. Since I read that I need to know if I am TH1 or TH2 dominant, I am choosing the test that includes most of the stimulants for both, that way I can see which I am. I have learned more from this book than all the time with my idiot of an old doctor. Now I've found a naturopath who studied under Dr K and will actually address my hashimoto's.
Zac Stojcevski
Sep 09, 2015 rated it it was ok
Very well written and informative though I found it too prescriptive. But for the grace of god go I - fortunately I have none of the associated health problems. Reading this from cover to cover therefore had minimal utility and there is a curative rather than a preventive slant to the approach. Reading Kharrazian's other exhaustive tome, much of what is contained in this book is appropriately added to the larger book and is therefore my pick.
Kay
Jan 24, 2015 rated it did not like it
This book is kind of like an infomercial. I, for one, am not about to go out and spend money on this guy's supplements. I've done enough research on my own before reading this book to be moderately informed about my own condition, so I found the information annoyingly repetitious (I get it, gluten is bad!) and not well-written. I recommended that people read Chris Kresser's short and concise eBook on Thyroid Disorders instead.
Gry Pil
Apr 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
A good solid book with a lot of information that didn't make it into the brain book, because that book has another focus. One thing I lament in both of his books is all of this focus on blood sugar and Standard American Diet and no mention of the issues in people who already eat like he says to and are still feeling horrible.
Lorraine Coleman
May 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
Although I've always known that Hashimoto's is an autoimmune disease, most of my doctors have said take synthroid and you will be fine. This book has explained why I need to do more, especially supporting my immune system. And that I wasn't crazy for still feeling ill and tired while taking the "correct" amount of synthroid.
danelle
Jun 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
His focus is on Hashimotos, but his overview of the endocrine system is awesome. It doesn't talk down to the reader, but offers clear medical explanations of very complicated systems. I don't have thyroid problems and I still feel like I have a real understanding of medical problems that have confused and plagued me for years. Absolutely fantastic.
Brianna
Jan 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
One of the "better" thyroid books I've read so far. I appreciated the chapters on hashimoto's, though what I'm finding is that this autoimmune disease manifests itself in such different ways depending on the person. This makes it incredibly frustrating and isolating. Also can lead to information overload - which is where I am.
Myra
Jan 13, 2012 rated it liked it
I would highly recommend this book to someone with Hashimoto's Disease, as it gives insights into understanding what's going on, and better yet, what to do about it.
Joni
Jan 17, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: medical-info
great info at the beginning, bogs down with too much scientific info for the lay reader to take in and understand.
Jennifer Hansen
Jun 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I feel you have any kind of thyroid issue you need to read this book. Dr. K is a leader in treating brain and thyroid issues and the info is eye opening.
Kailey (BooksforMKs)
Jun 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Very informative and helpful
Dianne Oliver
Jul 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
Learned some things I was unaware of concerning Hashimoto's. It never hurts to arm oneself with the info. as this is not the stuff the endocrinologist will tell you. A validating book that explains that the problems one faces with Hashimoto's is not just a quick fix, i.e. synthroid, and away you go. It is, rather, a disease that is autoimmune in nature. If you approach it with that frame of mind you will begin to change your dietary and exercise approach, as well as understanding that there are ...more
Lizzie Jones
Dec 14, 2016 rated it liked it
I thought this was interesting, but not especially life-changing. Some of the information in here was a bit hokey. I read this because I've had some concerns about Hashimotos in the past and was curious about the science behind the disease, but this didn't open my eyes much to the truth behind the research.
Sara
Dec 10, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: food-health
I have advanced Hashimoto's (TSH 107 when not on meds... no, that's not a typo), and feel awful despite being on several different drugs. I did not find this book to be very helpful. There's not much advice here that you can follow on your own, and the "doctors" that the author recommends seeing to guide you through her impossible regimen of tests, diet changes and supplements you've never heard of, have terrible reputations for taking advantage of sick people (at least the ones in my area do). ...more
Natalie
Apr 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book goes into great detail about how messed up our thyroids can be even though the lab tests come back normal. I can relate! He gives the background as to how this happens, what those of us with potential thyroid issues can do to help, many scenarios to help troubleshoot and lots of more natural supplements and ingredients to help get back normal function. He doesn't necessarily make me think I should treat my own thyroid, but he gives me tons of ideas to talk with my doctor about. The boo ...more
Amy Teel-boswell
Oct 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
I bought this book on Audible and it might be a great book but I wouldn't advise the Audible version. There's too much technical information. If it was a book book then you could highlight and dog-ear information that you want to go back to. I couldn't keep up and I have been an audible book listener for many years. It's the first book I actually returned to audible. Im currently listening to Dr. K's book "Why isn't May brain working?" And it does just fine on Audible with the help of a few book ...more
Dylan
Oct 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is a great read for anyone with Hashi's or Hypothyroidism. Focuses on topics such as what is actually happening with the thyroid, ways to help nutritionally (going gluten-free, dairy-free, etc.), why some supplementation like iodine and iron may cause harm depending on your levels, and really just offering hope that you can feel healthier and more energized even when medication isn't working.
Will Green
Apr 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Brilliantly researched. Incredible information. This breaks down your thyroid gland into understandable chunks. The research Dr. Kharrazian has done here is unprecedented. His insights are keen, and his recommendations are sound. I highly recommend this book to anyone who has a thyroid condition. ESPECIALLY to those who have been through the medications without successful relief.
Qelilah
May 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a very good book. Very comprehensive for a lay person. You will not want to keep this on the shelf. This is the kind of book you will continue to use for reference.
If anyone has cold extremities, unexplained weight gain, thinning hair, and your labs are normal, you might want to buy this book. It is also on Audible. I have them both.
  • Adrenal Fatigue: The 21st Century Stress Syndrome
  • Stop the Thyroid Madness
  • Hashimoto's Thyroiditis: Lifestyle Interventions for Finding and Treating the Root Cause
  • The Mood Cure: The 4-Step Program to Take Charge of Your Emotions--Today
  • Living Well with Hypothyroidism: What Your Doctor Doesn't Tell You... That You Need to Know
  • From Fatigued to Fantastic!
  • Figuring Out Fibromyalgia: Current Science and the Most Effective Treatments
  • Why is She Acting So Weird?: A Guide to Cultivating Closeness When A Friend is in Crisis
  • Digestive Wellness: How to Strengthen the Immune System and Prevent Disease Through Healthy Digestion
  • Feeling Fat, Fuzzy or Frazzled?: A 3-Step Program to: Beat Hormone Havoc, Restore Thyroid, Adrenal, and Reproductive Balance, and Feel Better Fast!
  • Life Disrupted: Getting Real about Chronic Illness in Your Twenties and Thirties
  • Energy Medicine for Women: Aligning Your Body's Energies to Boost Your Health and Vitality
  • Eat for Heat
  • Oversubscribed: How to Get People Lining Up to Do Business with You
  • The Platinum Rule: Discover the Four Basic Business Personalities andHow They Can Lead You to Success
  • Why Stomach Acid Is Good for You: Natural Relief from Heartburn, Indigestion, Reflux and Gerd
  • Women, Food, and Desire: Embrace Your Cravings, Make Peace with Food, Reclaim Your Body
  • Overcoming Thyroid Disorders
Dr. Datis Kharrazian a research fellow at Harvard Medical School and the Department of Neurology at Massachusetts General Hospital. His research focuses on toxicology, neuroimmunology, and autoimmunity.
More about Datis Kharrazian

• Lincoln's Last Trial: The Murder Case That Propelled Him to the Presidency
    $12.99 $2.99
  • Me Talk Pretty One Day
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Confidence Code for Girls: Taking Risks, Messing Up, and Becoming Your Amazingly Imperfect, Totally Powerful Self
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Jackie, Janet & Lee: The Secret Lives of Janet Auchincloss and Her Daughters, Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis and Lee Radziwill
  • Just the Funny Parts: My 30 Years on the Hollywood Jungle Gym
    $12.99 $1.99
  • Minimalism: Live a Meaningful Life
    $8.99 $2.49
  • The Millionaire Fastlane
    $7.99 $2.49
  • Training the Mind and Cultivating Loving-Kindness
    $13.99 $1.99
  • Jesus > Religion: Why He Is So Much Better Than Trying Harder, Doing More, and Being Good Enough
  • The Proper Care and Feeding of Husbands
    $9.99 $3.49
  • Forty Autumns: A Family's Story of Courage and Survival on Both Sides of the Berlin Wall
    $11.99 $1.99