Start by marking “Compromised” as Want to Read:
Compromised

Compromised

3.86  ·  Rating details ·  436 Ratings  ·  84 Reviews
Maya's life has always been chaotic. Living with a con-man dad, she's spent half her life on the run. Whenever her father's schemes go wrong, Maya finds a scientific way to fix it. But when her dad ends up in prison and foster care fails, Maya grasps at her last possible hope of a home: a long-lost aunt, who may not even exist.

So Maya formulates a plan, and with her wits,
Published April 21st 2010 by HarperCollins

To ask other readers questions about Compromised, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Compromised

Sabrina
Jan 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A beautiful and heartbreaking tale that really opened my eyes on some of the issues in this world.

I am 14 years old and I live a pretty good life. I get good marks in school and I have a kick-ass family that puts up with me. Yet, sometimes, I realize that I can be the most unappreciative brat in the universe. Reading this book made me really appreciate what I have because chances are, if you are reading this, you are/have been spoiled and we all need a good dose of reality that some people aren'
Kari
Jun 13, 2010 rated it it was amazing

Searing, potent and unflinching, Compromised is a uncharted look into life on the streets and what it means to be pushed aside by society. Torn between her love of her father and her anger at being betrayed by him, Maya finds herself thrust into a world unimaginable to anyone not in it. Though her life has been less than ideal, she would easily take the cons and quick escapes to an orphanage.

Maya is a reverberating character, holding a powerful mix of courage and fear. Her character dynamic and
Ravanna Dee
Oct 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
OMG!!! There are no words I could use to describe this book. I laughed, wanted to throw it across the room a few times, and I definitely cried, a lot, but mostly towards the end. I didn't agree with all of the bad language at times, but other then that I thought it was a great read.
Cassidy
Nov 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I really liked this book! When I first started reading it, I thought I liked it. And then I got to the middle and I was so sick of it... But I kept on reading because the last time I gave up on a book was in elementary school... And when you get to the end, WOW. Everything you thought was going to happen? Think the complete opposite! The ending made up for the boring middle- it was one of those books. I definitely recommend!

BTW: I always get so irritated when everything turns out okay in the en
Tiffany Gholar
May 24, 2013 rated it liked it
I am giving this book 3 out of 5 stars. It is a gripping tale of realistic YA fiction, a genre that I have liked since I was a teenager myself. The reasons I didn't give it more stars have to do with the length of the story and the characterization of the leads. I thought it was too long. There were parts of it that became repetitive and monotonous, and maybe could have been summarized instead of dramatized.

As for characterization, there were times when the dialogue just didn't seem to fit the
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Sally Kruger aka "Readingjunky" for TeensReadToo.com

Maya loves science. She approaches every situation first with a "hypothesis" and then a plan of action. Her life is filled with situations that need her attention.

Raised by a single father after her mother's suicide, Maya has been shifted from place to place as her father has "hustled" to make a living for them. He was caught in his last con-game, and now he's in prison and Maya has become part of the system. As the newest resident
Shannan
Apr 15, 2010 rated it really liked it
Well, Compromised certainly isn’t bubble gun, popcorn fluff, that’s for sure! What a genuine, eye opening book for teens and adults. Maya has no one left. Her mother and father are gone, she is sent to an orphanage, and she must go and find an aunt that may or may not exist. There is only one constant thus far in Maya’s life and it is science. On her journey, with little to no money, food, or clothes, she finds a true family in her new companions; Nicole and Klon.

I know that I am in the dark ab
Allie
May 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
I bawled my eyes out for like half an hour at the end, but it certainly enlightened me to a lot, and the characters were amazing! The only reasons it's not 5 stars are that a.) It was a little lengthy, b.) Cussing, and c.) ***spoiler*** An author is simply not allowed to kill off main character(s)! It's like against the code. Okay, I lied, I think it actually added a lot to the story, but still.
Anyway, anything that can keep my interest for that long and make me sob is certainly worth at least 4
Theresa
Feb 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult
Again, like with You Don't Know About Me, I appreciated that the author didn't just skip over the story- she made it long enough that I felt tired for the characters, a part of their lives and their hurt and their trials. I loved Klondike, and ached for him.
The ending wrapped up a little too easily, at the very end, but let's be honest- if things hadn't somewhat resolved themselves, I would have been way more disappointed.
Regan
Dec 01, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: homeless
This book was just average. I think it could've been good if it was seriously trimmed down in length, because I did like the plot, but it seemed it just dragged on forever.

Anyway, good:

Tackled some really deep issues and a good/believable way. Also, a unique issue of Tourette's, which I do not see portrayed in many other books.

The ending. I really loved the ending. I thought it was the best part of the book. It was so believable and true to life, as things don't normally ended all happy and che
Atterberry Englis...: Book review 1 2 Mar 11, 2014 12:24PM
  • Beetle Boy
  • Under the Wolf, Under the Dog
  • فاتن
  • Adios, Nirvana
  • Swerve
  • The Crossing (Blood of the Lamb, #1)
  • Fancy White Trash
  • Crow Country
  • The Lightkeeper's Daughter
  • Brown Skin Blue
  • How Many Letters Are In Goodbye?
  • Chinese Handcuffs
  • Now Playing: Stoner & Spaz II (Stoner & Spaz #2)
  • The Garbage King
  • Crazy
  • No Ordinary Day
  • Dark Dude
  • The Absolute Value of -1
I spent 23 years growing up and living in Nevada then have spent the last almost-17 living and traveling around the world with my Colombian husband. I've gone down Class IV Rapids (called THE FROG BLENDER) on my butt in Nepal, been thrown down by gusts of wind hiking in Torres del Paine, gone gator looking in the Amazon, and have climbed up a Mayan pyramid at midnight during a full moon. None of t ...more
More about Heidi Ayarbe...