Start by marking “Watch Me Fly: What I Learned on the Way to Becoming the Woman I Was Meant to Be” as Want to Read:
Watch Me Fly: What I Learned on the Way to Becoming the Woman I Was Meant to Be

Watch Me Fly: What I Learned on the Way to Becoming the Woman I Was Meant to Be

With more than 200 speaking engagements a year, Myrlie Evers-Willams is one of the most visible and respected African-American women in America. She has been the recipient of numerous prestigious awards, including "Woman of the Year" from Ladies Home Journal, Glamour, and Ms., and her dignity, pride, and perseverance have made her a role model for millions of women of all ...more
Published January 11th 1999 by Little Brown and Company (first published January 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Watch Me Fly, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Watch Me Fly

Carolyn
Jul 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
A testament to how many women; not only this extraordinary woman encounter heart-wrenching challenges and continue to live and do great things as well as the mundane. She lost her first husband to an unspeakable tragedy, however, she continued to grow and educate herself to become a woman of renown. She also remarried a good and supportive man and he soon left her due to a terminal illness. She speaks of her journey in a clear and not self-serving or absorbed manner. Bountiful blessings as well ...more
Thomas DeWolf
Jul 22, 2009 rated it really liked it
More than 30 years after writing "For Us, The Living" Myrlie Evers-Williams wrote this wonderful book about her life after the assassination of her first husband, Medgar Evers. And what a life... activist, successful corporate businesswoman, candidate for congress, and first woman to lead the NAACP.
Florence
Dec 25, 2010 rated it really liked it
What an inspiring story. After seeing her husband, Medgar Evers, a civil rights activist murdered in front of their Mississippi home, Myrlie Evers overcame her grief and took charge of her life. She completed her education, raised three children as a single parent, and went on to a career in government, industry, and politics.
Nell
Oct 24, 2011 rated it did not like it
Read for a book discussion. While admiring Evers-Williams herself for her many achievements, the group uniformly felt that the book was dated, preachy (both in the religious sense and in giving advice on how to conduct one's life), and too full of "I, I, I." We felt perhaps that we were not the intended audience, that it might have been aimed more at younger, black women.
Toni
Nov 05, 2007 rated it it was amazing
This book was given to me by my Grandma who had the book autographed Myrlie. Before my Grandma gave me the book, she read it and has marked a couple of spots in the book. I have been looking forward to reading this book and seeing how Myrlie became "the woman that she was meant to be".
Val Pal
Bee
Sep 11, 2013
Heather
Jan 23, 2016
née Myrlie Beasley is an American activist. She was the first full-time chairman of the NAACP and is the widow of murdered civil rights leader Medgar Evers.

She twice ran for Congress from California's 24th congressional district. Both times (in a June 1970 special election and the general election later that November) she lost to Republican John Rousselot. In 1971 she helped found the National Wom