Start by marking “Sleeper: Season One” as Want to Read:
Sleeper: Season One

Sleeper: Season One (Sleeper #1-2)

4.32  ·  Rating details ·  1,209 Ratings  ·  105 Reviews
Holden Carver is 'the Conductor', a super-powered agent of the nameless global crime syndicate run by the terrifying Tao. Holden Carver is also an agent of global spy group International Operations, working in deep cover. But the only person who knows his secret is lying in a coma.
Paperback, Season 1, 288 pages
Published June 23rd 2009 by Wildstorm Comics

To ask other readers questions about Sleeper, please sign up.
DeAnna Knippling Sorry, I gotta.

The power that can be named is not Tao's power.

Shelby *trains flying monkeys*
Dec 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Shelby *trains flying monkeys* by: Jeff
Damn...I hate when Jeff comes close to being right.
This book is flipping awesome...and he says it's being made into a movie. I do agree that I think it would be a better tv show. I would be glued to the sucker. It would have to go on one of the raunchier channels though..like Food Network or something.

You have this post-human guy Holden Carver..he is a conductor. You gotta read it to find out about that. He was with the good guys..then got planted with this weirdo named Tao, who likes to fuck wi
Stephen
Easily….EAS-I-LY…in my top 5 ALL TIME FAVORITE graphic novels and as well written a story as I have ever seen in the genre. Ed Brubaker crushes this one and puts himself in a real horserace with Garth Ennis as my favorite writer of comics. Yes, I am a fan of this book and I intend to gush, so get suited up in your ponchos and galoshes cause it’s going to get wet around here.

Sleeper is just about perfect. A gritty, pitch-perfect blend of noir espionage thriller and hardboiled superhero action se
Jeff
Oct 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Misery. The Nihilist. Genocide. Pit Bull.

This is the augmented spy company, Holden Carver is currently keeping. Based on those names are they the good guys or the bad guys? Fortunately for the reader, Ed Brubaker has Carver afloat in a sea of gray. He’s a deep undercover operative for John Lynch and International Operatives and he’s currently embedded in an organization run by the mysterious TAO. The problem is Lynch is in a coma and nobody else knows he’s one of the “good” guys.

Brubaker creates
Kemper
Mar 13, 2011 rated it really liked it
I’m surprised that other comic book writers haven’t forced some kind of Harrison Bergeron style handicaps on Ed Brubaker because at this point his high quality productivity is making them all look bad.

Sleeper is set in the universe of Wildstorm comics. Holden Carver is a covert government agent who got super powers by accident. He feels no pain from injuries, his body heals ultra-fast, and then he can deliver the damage he just took to someone else by touching them. Carver is recruited by Lynch
Brandon
Oct 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Brandon by: Stephen
This is some of the finest work I have ever read within the medium of comic books, and I say that without any hint of hyperbole. The team of Ed Brubaker and Sean Phillips are putting out a consistent stream of excellence through their work. I mean, you can't get much better than this.

In Sleeper, we meet Agent Carver. Carver is injected as an undercover operative into a secret criminal group with it's fingers in all things political. As Carver ascends to a pretty prominent position within the com
Sesana
Oct 29, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, superhumans
Noir-flavored, super-powered spy comic. Fantastic.

Carver is trapped, a double agent in a hyper-organized super-criminal organization. His contact, and the only person who knows that he's working undercover, is in a coma and may never wake up. He could never prove to the authorities that he's clean, and couldn't hope to escape his current employers without their help. And he's been in so long that he's starting to lose sight of who he was.

It's fantastic. Noir and superheroes really can work well
Pete
Jul 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Super secret spy shit. Sex, violence, violent sex and a fun story. Tossing in special "post human" powers makes this a must read for crime fiction and comic book folks alike. On to Season Two!!!

And boobs.
Tomás
Apr 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Cinco estrellitas es demasiado poco para semejante obra maestra...pero bueno, son los estándares de Goodreads.

Este comic que mezcla el género del espionaje con el mejor género negro cumplió todas y cada una de mis expectativas. Los personajes son interesantes, profundos, y cada uno tiene su historia que contar. Los diálogos son punzantes, nadie anda con demasiadas vueltas y las escenas de acción aparecen dibujadas rozando la perfección por Sean Phillips, que parece sentirse cómodo y en casa con
Stewart Tame
Aug 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
I can see why this is such a highly regarded series. Although many of the characters in it have powers, it's not really a superhero series.

Holden Carver is deep undercover. He’s been tasked with infiltrating a criminal organization headed by the man known as Tao, set up to look like a traitor to his own country as cover. But the spymaster who assigned him ths mission, the only one he reports to, the sole individual who can extract him and clear his name, lies in a coma. And Tao seems to be growi
Matt Garcia
Oct 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was pretty damn good. The writing and the artwork was dark, atmospheric, and moody. The character of Holden was the classic tortured soul and everyone else was twisted in various ways. It does feel a little long winded at times but Brubaker knows how to tell a good story and this one is just dripping with noir. A good read for those interested in all things noir, mystery, and espionage since Sleeper is all 3 of those plus more.
Josh
Dec 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned
Damn! I have to admit, it took a couple of issues for me to get into the groove of this one, but once that happened, I was hooked. Ready for Season 2!
Charlie
Apr 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
great read reminds me of 100 bullets with super powers
Gregory Gay
Sleeper is excellent. Picture a great spy thriller - at times as fast paced as Bourne Identity, and at times slow and intense (like one of LeCarre's novels - The Spy Who Came in From the Cold comes to mind), but always gripping. Then, add in a bunch of murderous, superpowered criminals.

The end concoction is addictive as hell.

Sleeper is a great examination of the dark side of the super world, and deals with the slow fall of a deep cover agent that finds himself stuck after his handler is incapa
Sonic
Jan 28, 2010 rated it really liked it
I had already read "The Sleeper" vol 1 which reprinted the issues 1-6 in a single trade paperback. This "Season 1" contained chapters (issues) 1-12, so I re-read the first half (with pleasure) and finished the book just enjoying it more and more as it went. It just builds and builds. And Brubaker and Phillips work as well together as Plant and Page. This is an espionage thriller, where many of the characters just happen to have powers. What I mean by that is this is a smarter than usual take on ...more
Ciaran Mcgrath
Jan 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
An early effort from the Brubaker/Phillips team, this is a slice of sleazy noir set in the darkest corner of a superhero universe. The protagonist is as doomed as it's possible to be, but his efforts to survive are constantly interesting, and the trope of the "origin story" is used to remarkable effect, especially in the climactic chapter. Worth finding and reading no matter what kind of comics you prefer.
Michael Griffin
Jul 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
Sleeper is an excellent spy novel that just happens to be a superhero comic. Agent Holden Carver went undercover to infiltrate a secret criminal organization. He wants to come out of the cold, but his handler, the only man who can clear his name, is in a coma. Will Holden manage to keep his cover until he can leave? Or will his new identity become his reality?
Sophie
Jul 15, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
When you have to pretend you're a bad guy, how long does it take until you become one? Holden Carver is deep undercover, and has been so long that the lines start to blur.

It took me a while to get into this (simply because I wasn't in the right mood), but once I did I couldn't stop reading. It's really gripping and involving, and asks some good questions, with amazing art to match the mood.
Aron
Aug 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
Wow! Hooked me from page one & didn't let go. Great story, awesome characters, great artwork. Not sure yet, but maybe my favorite Brubaker/Phillips series so far, can't wait to see how this one turns out. Highly recommend!
Josh
Nov 17, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics, spy, thriller
Very engaging, start to finish.
Ill D

ABSOLUTE RATING: {3/5 stars}

STANDARDIZED RATING: <3/5 stars>
Sam Julian
Jul 17, 2018 rated it liked it
This is well plotted and compelling enough that I almost wished that it had been stripped of its fantasy/superhero elements. But then if they did that it'd basically be The Departed.

Strange to come to it after having read Sean Phillips' later collaborations with Brubaker. His art here is roughly hewn, less confident than his later work in Fatale and The Fade Out, but with a loose swagger that fits the content well. It really makes you appreciate how much his penmanship has improved, though.

The c
Kathleen
A spy novel with super powers, this book is grim, gritty, and painful. Holden Carver is a double agent who can't feel much, an interesting reflection of the moral relativism explored by his actions over the course of the story.

Most of the powers in this story are interesting and well crafted in the way that they shape and are shaped by the characters. I especially liked the way certain characters take a moment to tell their origin stories in little flash backs that provide depth without distrac
Spikkee
May 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comic, detective
Brillante cómic de Ed Brubaker donde mezcla el genero de detectives con la clásica aventura de superheroes y villanos. Lo maravilloso del cómic es que te atrapa inmediatamente, no pude soltar el libro hasta terminarlo. Lo decepcionante para mi es el villano, desarrollare este punto mejor en la parte con spoliers.

(view spoiler)
Michael
Apr 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: loeg-archives
I've already read this in its previous two-volume collected format, but early this summer, a friend had an extra copy of this, the one-volume edition, and offered it to me. With my preference for as many pages as possible in a single book, obviously, I snapped it up.

It holds up. Better than I remember, if anything. Great noir pacing, terrific art. Each chapter works as a satisfying whole - a rare series that I could almost imagine enjoying serially!

Brubaker does a nice job giving the criminals s
B
May 08, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: borrowed
I can't help but think this book would have been better without the superpowers and if it moved a little faster. It feels kind of like we ended where we began.

The suspense is good. The plotting is good.

In this and other books, there's supposed to be something self-evidently interesting about naked and sexually available women. Men and women are treated differently here and in Bad Dog, which I happened to be reading at the same time.
And in Astro City:
https
Stacia
Aug 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Sleeper was recommended to me by a guy in my local comic book store. We were talking about Nordic Noir and he said I should give this a try. It's absolutely brilliant storytelling. The main character is a double agent--and the only person who knows the truth about him is in a coma. While there's a lot of action, that's not all this book is. It's creative. It's thought-provoking. It's everything a good story should be. I need to find more from Brubaker!
J
Jan 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
Might just about be one of Brubaker and Phillips' best "superhero" titles. The honor of best still goes to Fatale as much as I love their work on my second favorite, Criminal, widely regarded as their masterpiece). Opaque plotting and unreliable narration combined with conflicted antiheroes and you've got my catnip at the ready.
Lu
Feb 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Proper top shelf superhero spy stuff, set in a pre-existing universe I had pretty much no knowledge of but not confusing me one bit.

I go into volume 2 with trepidation, as the end of 1 sets up that age-old problem usually encountered in Marvel movies where the villain's ideas aren't that crazy!
Zachary King
Jun 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very engaging super-spy story (emphasis on the “super”) that gets more addictive as the book goes on.
  • Gotham Central, Book Three: On the Freak Beat
  • Who is Jake Ellis?
  • Richard Stark's Parker: The Hunter
  • Scalped, Vol. 2: Casino Boogie (Scalped, #2)
  • Casanova, Vol. 2: Gula
  • War of Kings
  • Light Brigade
Ed Brubaker (born November 17, 1966) is an Eisner Award-winning American cartoonist and writer. He was born at the National Naval Medical Center, Bethesda, Maryland.

Brubaker is best known for his work as a comic book writer on such titles as Batman, Daredevil, Captain America, Iron Fist, Catwoman, Gotham Central and Uncanny X-Men. In more recent years, he has focused solely on creator-owned titles
More about Ed Brubaker