Start by marking “It Takes A Wizard” as Want to Read:
It Takes A Wizard

It Takes A Wizard (It Takes A Wizard)

3.51  ·  Rating details ·  97 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews

No outsider has set foot on the island of Manhattan for the past three years, and with good reason. It’s become a place of wild, dark magic, where technology and the laws of science do not work. The dark kingdom of Manhattan is at war with the United States, seeking to spread across the river to the rest of the world. Its armies of trolls, goblins, imps, ghouls and harpi

Published July 7th 2009 by Seven Seas

To ask other readers questions about It Takes A Wizard, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about It Takes A Wizard

Cornerofmadness
After posting my original review of this, it turned out to be by an old friend of mine who I had lost touch with. So yay to books bringing us back together

Don’t let the title put you off (yeah silly riffs of it takes a thief to catch a thief do nothing for me), while it takes a wizard to catch a wizard is the theme, it does it well.

Three years ago Isaac Silverberg, former apprentice to Everett Winterthorn, helped to kill 200,000 people in NYC turning Manhattan into a magical wasteland where tro
Amy Keeley
Sep 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
I'm surprised I haven't reviewed this yet. It's been on my shelf for some time.

The premise is (supposedly) simple. Manhattan has become a world full of magic, with dragons, demons, satyrs and all kind of fantastic creatures roaming its streets. It's ruled by a powerful wizard. A local politician frees the wizard's apprentice from prison and manages to get him to go inside Manhattan to rescue the politician's beautiful daughter.

But really, nothing is this series is as it seems.

The apprentice, Isa
Zach Wade
Oct 01, 2012 rated it liked it
Monsters and magic have overrun Manhattan and no one has entered it for three years. That is until wizard Isaac Silverberg is brought in by military like personnel to take care of the Midnight king Isaac's rival and former mentor.

That's the plot in a nutshell, I have to say this is a solid effort by an American to create a Japanese style manga. Thomas Hart event went so far to have the booked printed backwards in true Japanese fashion.

The plot flows at a great pace and we kind of get back story
Shazza Maddog
Jul 13, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: owned-books
I wish I could tell you how long I've had this book on my nightside table, waiting for me to read it. Oops. However, I'd like to say, it was worth the wait.

Isaac is a young man incarcerated for a horrible event, that he says he had nothing to do with. Ernest, his mentor, is the one who created the chaos that is presently Manhattan Island. Demons of all shapes and sizes now inhabit the island, and what humans are still on the island are food or fuel. But there's a young woman there, and her fath
Terry
Jan 26, 2010 rated it really liked it
The Island of Manhattan is a magical wasteland. The government holds the line around the “Magic Kingdom,” shooting down dragons and other monsters that get too close to the mainland. It’s a dangerous situation worsened when the daughter of New Jersey’s governor goes missing.

Fearing that she’s been abducted by Winterthorn, ruler of Manhattan, the governor authorizes an audacious rescue attempt – pulling Winterthorn’s apprentice off Death Row and sending him into the twisted Manhattan he helped cr
Matthew
Jan 11, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: genre-manga, 日本
This is my first taste of Manga. I am a very versatile reader and I like to try different genres once in a while. The fact that one must read from right to left in these Japanese comics was not too difficult to master. The thing that got me was the overload of illustrations. I know that comics are essentially pictures, but after having read pictureless books for years, the adjustment was difficult. I can only read these in short bursts.
As for this piece itself, I found the story to be average,
Campbell Scollo
Jun 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: finished, fav
The first thing you see when you turn to the first page are military soldiers, of course on the next page is were you meet the main character Issac Silverberg who just so happens to be a wizard and their prisoner. Instead of getting the death sentence though Issac is given a chance to redeem himself. The problem? He has to go to Manhatten, now called Manhatten Kingdom and ruled by his former master a soccer called Ethan Winterthorn, the Midnight King. Not only that but most of the people that we ...more
Sarah Maddaford
It was an interesting story with good pictures (although looking at grotesque creatures one after another did get a bit old), but I pretty much knew what was going to happen from the beginning and was a bit disappointed with the way it got there. It took far too many pages for a final battle that mostly consisted of the wizards telling each other off... Also, I'm a bit confused how the girl survived and managed to avoid capture when pretty much everyone else, including guys much more capable of ...more
Stephanie
Sep 19, 2013 rated it liked it
Recommended to Stephanie by: Brett G. from Wisconsin
I enjoyed the story and the premise, but I also think it fell just short of how good it was built up to be. Solid story elements were there, all the pieces were, but they were not necessarily in the most optimum order to the story. So that, when I got to the climax, I was a little confused about how the characters actually arrived to their personal conclusions/resolutions. Isaac and Hope were central, but I felt that their personalities and relationship to each other had some holes in it. While ...more
Mykl
Mar 28, 2011 rated it liked it
The storyline was not overly original and at times seemed quite choppy. A young mage is tricked by his mentor and a bubble world of evil exists in N.Y.. The mage enters the evil land and encounters a young girl who fights the righteous fight.

The three stars is primarily for the artwork. Artwork is a bit busy for my taste but the artist does a very good job drawing at a variety of angles to keep a fresh look throughout the book.
Ian
Jul 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
A refreshing change of apocalyptic manga as the island of Manhattan deals with being changed with the power of magic. Let your heroes be heroic and your villains be dastardly as each side of the magical coin deal with their own frailties to bring light or darkness to the world. However with a magical conflict you might wonder what the US Government is doing to confront the growing threat.
Jul 28, 2011 added it
Shelves: graphic-novels, manga
Interesting manga and I LOVED the fact that it was one fat book instead of trying to track down several volumes. The story was tight and fight scenes were good. I didn't see the twist at the end coming however I totally enjoyed it.
Kevin
Apr 17, 2011 rated it liked it
I really liked this books, but it did have a major flaw...
I mean, the plot was great but it was all over the place.
At times I was lost, wondering what had happened.
Overall an enjoyable quick read
Jacqueline Sinard
Jul 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Loved the artwork and the story line. Both main characters had an interesting, is somewhat predictable background and I rather liked the ending as well. It was a quick read and I was glad to read all of the story at once rather than have to wait volume by volume like other stories.
Candice Beever
Aug 10, 2009 rated it really liked it
I really liked this book. I thought it was a neat way of doing magic and a cool story. In truth, I picked up the book because I liked the art.
Amanda
Sep 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I want to see more of this world!!!!!
Kyle Paxton
Oct 05, 2012 rated it it was ok
Well, i read it all. so thats a plus right?
Nic
My review is posted here at No Flying No Tights.
Kaitlyn DuLaney