Start by marking “मधुशाला” as Want to Read:
मधुशाला

मधुशाला

मधुशाला कवि हरिवंश राय बच्चन का अनुपम कविता संग्रह है।

Harivansh "Bachchan" Shrivastav is best known for his early lyric poems Madhushala (मधुशाला) (The House of Wine), first published in 1935, social unity was the running theme of his greatest poetry collection. Madhushala brought instant fame. It whipped up a literary frenzy when he recited it to huge audiences. It has be
Hardcover, 61st Edition, 77 pages
Published 2009 by Rajpal & Sons (first published 1935)

Start your review of मधुशाला
Sidharth Vardhan
Feb 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bestest, indian, poems
The translation probably will spoil even the title - wine-house? Unlike most other poems that are on a single theme and used a large number of motifs to give a single message, this contains 139 messages (a message for each stanzas) including themes like seasons, life, existional crises, aging, death, hedonism, hopefulness, desperation, religion, caste, class, politics, the alcohal itself, the stanzas themselves etc and it is only motifs that stay same - Madhushala (alcohal shop -hindi word 'madh ...more
Ankur Pandey
Mar 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
These two lines of the book themselves say about the book.

मेरे साकी में सबने अपना प्यारा साकी देखा,
जिसकी जैसी रुचि थी उसने वैसी देखी मधुशाला।।१३१।
(Everybody understands it in the way that interests them).

कभी न कण-भर खाली होगा लाख पिएँ, दो लाख पिएँ!
पाठकगण हैं पीनेवाले, पुस्तक मेरी मधुशाला।।४।
(Irrespective of how many people consume it, its quality will not deteriorate).

A must read for all ages.
Gorab Jain
Aug 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: z2017, indian, hindi, poetry
This appeals to novice poetry readers as well as veterans. The simplicity with which the verses are strewn along haala, pyaala, saakibala and madhushala are bound to set you in a trance.
I read it in parts in the last couple of days, and re-read it in a single sitting today as recommended by the author, and such is the magic that I'm craving for more now....

क्या कहता है, रह न गई अब तेरे भाजन में हाला,
क्या कहता है, अब न चलेगी मादक प्यालों की माला,
थोड़ी पीकर प्यास बढ़ी तो शेष नहीं कुछ पीने को,
प्यास
Divya
May 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
binding different religions together in true means...marvellous!
Ankit
Jun 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
'Madhushala' is not necessarily a tavern. 'Madhushala' symbolizes dreams, ambitions, life, universe, or rather any asymmetric multi-agent system. (जिसकी जैसी रुचि थी उसने वैसी देखी मधुशाला।।131)
Any one who yearns is man. Wine(मधु/हाला/ साकीबाला), is what he yearns for, provider is Saaki(साकी - one who serves wine), the medium is pyaala (प्याला - wineglass) and the place which provides is 'Madhushala'. The poem endorses life, not alcoholism.

There are total 135 Chaupai (4-line verses) and every on
Trisha
Mar 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Must read for all poetry lovers!

To have had conceived the idea of comparing a ‘Madhushala’ with the entire embodiment of one’s existence, was in itself brilliant, and this piece of poetry is sheer brilliance! Mr. Bacchan brings together people of all caste, religion and status together through this legendary piece. I was transported to a dreamland where we knew no such man made boundaries, and were liberated in the truest sense.

धर्म-ग्रंथ सब जला चुकी है, जिसके अन्तर की ज्वाला,
मंदिर, मस्जिद, गिरज
Milan Zaveri
Sep 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
refreshing,stimulating,intoxicating,englightening,liberating,captivating,mesmerising,overwhelming,fulfilling,satisfying,invigorating,...
Shatarupa  Dhar
For the first time, I'm deviating from my usual method of reviewing. First of all, I believe poetry is not something which can be reviewed. Secondly, when it is an epic work like this, one can only express their views.

Views:
I had the pleasure of reading this book recently; written in 1933-34, sometime around when my grandparents were born. It makes me wonder; books, literature, written material is so wonderful. To have survived through generations.

In In the Afternoon of Time: An Autobiography by
Hrishikesh
Feb 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
The writing has perhaps the best "rhythm" of all that I've read - so spectacular that at times, I enjoyed verses purely on the basis of their metric, rather than their content.

I appreciate the title - "Madhushala". It is a reflection of the sentiment of revolution (reformation?) against orthodox, structured edifices (primarily religious edifices). The idea of *alcohol* has a very strong connotation to it.

I feel comfortable with the knowledge that I know very little. It is scary and overwhelming
Pranav
Mar 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Madhushala is an abstraction of anything and everything you 'wish'. It is what you wanna be, where you wanna be. And it has it's elements, which have their own characters. The book, after 80 years of it's conception, holds true to me, and very many people who, in all their remaining capacities, are seeking for a refuge from all that the world represents. People have had millions of interpretations of this book, all of them true to the person. This book creates a world of like minded people, who ...more
Hrishabh Chaudhary
Apr 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
*Ramblings of an amateur reviewer, high on madakta:
I wonder if one can ever truly enjoy literature in a language other than his mother tongue. I have read a number of poems before in English, poems unanimously (almost) deemed great, and I did enjoy them, but irrespective of their theme or rhythm or anything, they don't come anywhere near this.
Hold back your arms, ardent worshippers of Keats and Pushkin, my intent is not to posit that it is better than any of those globally deified poems and yes
Ambar Parashar
Apr 16, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poems
Harivanshrai Bachchanji was among d best Hindi poets.He have written many books including- novels,biography,autobiographies and poems. Madhushala is probably his best known work.Its written in form of quartets(poem consisting of 4 lines),madhushala is collection of his poems.A superb collection of poems which is connected with our lives.Number of people often say that it just about liquor(as madhushala in English means- or place where one drinks and get liquor);its totally wrong as through his p ...more
Harsh Ranka
Jan 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
One of the best Hindi poetry I have ever read. I will say that u will read the book less & sing the poetry more. Each & every line touches the deep botton of your heart and makes you feel so good so merry & 'Madhushala' at the end of each verse is beautiful. You will literally celebrate this book rather than enjoying it...!! JUST LOVE IT!! LOVE IT SO MUCH ...more
Piush Kumar
I found the whole universe in this book.
Renuka
Jul 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
you need a moment to appreciate the beauty hidden in the lines!
Ayush
Oct 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
For a change, I picked this up as it has rave reviews and I personally like Harivansh bachchan's work.
So yeah. Understood only 3/4th of it because of the Hindi which is both, embarrassing and motivating to explore Hindi more.
As of the book- short novella that contains poetry based upon madhushala (bar, so to say). The beauty lies in its vagueness. You can interpret it in so many different ways. He's also touched some social aspects for eg "mandir masjid alag karate ek karati madhushala'.
So ye
Nandhini Narayanan
The only thing I have to say as regards to Madhushala is "This wine is really addictive."
Sandeep Bhalla
Oct 14, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
It has no parallel in poetry. A philosophy of life style of common people. A serious talk beneath ethereal humor.
Kshitij
Aug 02, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
its better when u hear it. Manna dey has sung and its v gud. But when his son and superstar amitabh sings it sounds magical
Goutam Malviya
Amazing poem by Harivansh Rai Bachchan. This poem was written in 1935. A masterpiece in hindi literature. If you didn't read this poem just read it now you will not regret.
Rajat Dwivedi
Mar 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
the best poetic description of all colours of life.
Farhat
Aug 01, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The poetry in Madhushala is abstract and down-to-earth at the same time. Madhushala and saki represent a range of things in this poetry. The lines flow easily and ideally it is something to read out aloud with a bunch of friends while having a few drinks.
Swagatika Mohapatra
Sep 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
A literary masterpiece which defends for self in Hindi literature. U can eat, drink, sleep and live with "Bachchan Madhushala". I recommend it to everybody. of course to those who can engulf the rich and plentise hindi literature.
Neeraj Shukla
Dec 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Great poetry.

Going through different stages of life including love, belief system, humanity etc. through the lens of a madhushala(a bar).

Its not a story, its a philosophy of life, portrayed though beautiful poetry.
Vivek
Oct 26, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Simply entertaining and meaningful at the same time. It's all about the goodness of the Madhushala i.e. drinking bar. Really liked it.
Khushbu
The Best
Mayank
Mar 31, 2013 rated it really liked it
A view of world by a non-alcoholic through the Alcohol is just kicking enough to read it again and again !!
Laxmi Shahi
Jan 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
the 1st book i read. I had read the in my school days.... even today i love to read it....
Suraj Deodhe
Aug 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The mind has been blown.
Amrendra
Nov 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Written in 1933 Madhushala is Bacchan's most popular work. The kind of poetry that he has created is most memorable and melodious. Using the words Hala, Pyala, Saki etc. the poet has woven an uniquely intoxicating and deep verse style that mesmerises and compels to contemplate at the same time.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• रात पश्मीने की
  • बनारस टॉकीज [Banaras Talkies]
  • मेरी इक्यावन कविताएँ
  • आषाढ़ का एक दिन
बच्चन का जन्म 27 नवम्बर 1907 को इलाहाबाद से सटे प्रतापगढ़ जिले के एक छोटे से गाँव बाबूपट्टी में एक कायस्थ परिवार मे हुआ था। इनके पिता का नाम प्रताप नारायण श्रीवास्तव तथा माता का नाम सरस्वती देवी था। इनको बाल्यकाल में 'बच्चन' कहा जाता था जिसका शाब्दिक अर्थ 'बच्चा' या 'संतान' होता है। बाद में ये इसी नाम से मशहूर हुए। इन्होंने कायस्थ पाठशाला में पहले उर्दू की शिक्षा ली जो उस समय कानून की डिग्री के लि ...more

News & Interviews

“मेरे अधरों पर हो अन्तिम वस्तु न तुलसी-दल, प्याला, मेरी जिह्वा पर हो अन्तिम वस्तु न गंगाजल, हाला, मेरे शव के पीछे चलने- वालो, याद इसे रखना— ‘राम नाम है सत्य’ न कहना, कहना ‘सच्ची मधुशाला” 3 likes
“भावुकता अंगूर लता से खींच कल्पना की हाला, कवि साक़ी बनकर आया है भरकर कविता का प्याला; कभी न कण भर खाली होगा, लाख पिएँ, दो लाख पिएँ! पाठक गण हैं पीनेवाले, पुस्तक मेरी मधुशाला | 4” 2 likes