Start by marking “Invincible: Ultimate Collection, Vol. 5” as Want to Read:
Invincible: Ultimate Collection, Vol. 5

Invincible: Ultimate Collection, Vol. 5 (Invincible Ultimate Collection #5)

4.36  ·  Rating details ·  1,026 Ratings  ·  35 Reviews
Witness Invincible's transition from new hero just starting out to an established superhero This volume collects Invincible's confrontation with Cecil Steadman, the return of the Reanimen, and the beginning of a bold, new era for Invincible.

Collects issues #48–59, The Astounding Wolf-Man #11.
Published January 13th 2010 by Image Comics (first published September 29th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Invincible, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Invincible

Anne
May 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
This title just does not get dull!

description

I have to say I'm really impressed by Kirkman's ability to weave 20 side-plots with one main story in each issue. Just as one thing is starting to find resolve itself, something else pops up in a very organic fashion to keep you flipping the pages.

description

This title really has it all. Gory action scenes, a romantic love story, family relationships, friendships, work drama, and humor.

description

There's so much going on that occasionally I'll forget about a character or a thread, an
Rebecca Trotter
May 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Just finished reading Issue 53 - I knew there was something off about Cecil since he first appeared and now I'm concerned about Oliver being truly evil.
Frank
Apr 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics-omnibus
Invincible matures and has his confrontations with leadership, battles old enemies and realizes his love for Atom Eve.
Meanwhile his father escapes prison with a little help.
Great continuing series.
Richard Guion
Feb 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Oliver becomes a superhero sidekick in this volume. It's quite fun but at the same time, brutally realistic as he gets in jeopardy and makes lethal mistakes.
Mike Clooney
Mar 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
At first glance, I took INVINCIBLE to be a super-hero parody, but really it's more tongue-in-cheek loving homage to the 80s and 90s comics writer Robert Kirkman was weaned on. If you're passionate about the genre, but spend enough time wearing big boy pants to admit the inherent silliness of crime-fighters in spandex, you'll enjoy this series.

This particular volume sees Invincible finally fall out with Cecil Stedman, as Mark becomes aware of Cecil's moral grey areas; Mark's little brother Oliver
Morgan
Jun 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own, image
Still loving this comic book. It has now become my favorite super hero book EVER! Which is a good thing because I totally ditched Marvel and DC stuff. This comic book reminds me a lot of Fables in the way it's using all the elements of a superhero book, but adding human emotions to the mix. Some times you'll be laughing and other times you will get hart broken and some times it might get a little dark for a powerful story.

In this one you see Mark and Eve's relationship grow and honestly they are
TJ Shelby
Mar 21, 2011 rated it really liked it
Robert Kirkman solidifies his hold on the best series currently being written. Enough said, if you want something outside of the mainstream, established characters then do yourself a favor and pick up this series.
Vicenç Sanz
Jun 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Para muchos la obra cumbre de Robert Kirman (hasta el momento) es de Walking Dead, un grandísimo comic sobre lo que pasa con los supervivientes tras un apocalipsis zombi, y que se ha apoyado en una serie de éxito para vender como rosquillas.

Pero tiene más obras, entre ellas éste Invencible. Para mi mejor que la ya citada.

Es un comic de superhéroes, pero lo es con todo lo bueno que conelleva la continuidad y la capacidad de pensar más a largo plazo que las típicas historias de los héroes ya conoc
Molly
Nov 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017, graphic-novel, 4me
Mark is conflicted on how to respond as Oliver gains powers and different views on the sanctity of human life. Even worse, although Mark has stood by his no killing rule, his borther might be making a valid point.
Justin
Nov 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I gave up buying individual issues of comics a few years back in favor of hardcover and trade collections, but I swear if any title is compelling enough to get me back to the monthly issues it has to be Invincible. It was almost impossible to wait a year for a new hardcover collection to arrive.

Invincible Ultimate Collection Volume 5 is here now, and it was absolutely worth the wait. This is probably the only series in recent memory that is so consistently good. Remember that really lousy Invinc
Gabrielle
Aug 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
There was a moment, a time when I thought -- this is it. I'm going to die ... and in that moment I kept getting flashes ... little thoughts, popping up through the darkness. Thoughts of you.

This is one of the best written superhero comicbook out there, even with the cheesy romantic lines

This is one of many reasons I like this series, the well written dialogue that does not bore you and still deliver outstanding story. Also how the story is crafted (the extras at the back has scripts by Kirkman)
Javier Muñoz
En este tomo se cuenta el enfrentamiento de invencible con Cecil y su Agencia de Defensa Global, Cecil cree que el fin justifica los medios y que debe hacer cualquier cosa para defender la tierra, pero Mark no parece estar de acuerdo.

Tenemos también apariciones de Atom-eve, doc seismic, Allen el Alien y Omni-Man, los Mauler, los ani-man, el asombroso hombre lobo y el nuevo villano powerplex, además del estreno Oliver como super heroe (kid omni-man) y la historia del origen de Cecil Stedman.

Ryan
Brendan Nicholls
Sep 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
This volume was pretty meh when it came to villains but it did entertain, just like the other 4 volumes. Invincible is an okay character and even the support characters aren't highly advanced. I really want more from this series as opposed to going through the motions. The younger brother is struggling with his powers and a villain from the past is planning something that could spell trouble for Invincible. The movement to Eve was nothing new, this was one story you could see coming a mile away. ...more
Fred Hudson
May 09, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
One of the best series in current superhero comics today. I began picking up the monthly issues because I'm sick of having to wait for each of these collected editions. These are always a joy to dig into and this was no exception. If Bendis left Ultimate Spider-Man, the only person I see having the ability to take over seamlessly would be Kirkman based on this series alone. His writing never feels stale or redundant. Each issue brings something new. I can't say that many writers keep me pleasant ...more
Nick
Oct 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
I am very much loving this series. I have raced through the first 5 and am bummed that the library doesn't have any more of them. A quick internet search shows that there are 21 volumes of goodness to enjoy! Looks like I'll be busy for a while tracking them down. The names of these first 5 volumes are all 80s TV shows, so it didn't escape my notice that the little kid introduced a couple volumes ago is named Oliver, like the kid in the Brady Bunch TV show that they brought in to liven up the sho ...more
Sean
Aug 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Comics fans
Robert Kirkman's world-building skill is almost unprecedented. The way he brings back the perceived minutia and have that payoff so deeply is amazing. Here we're given the continuing contentious relationship between Mark and his boss, Cecil Stedman. While that doesn't seem like something major, it affects Mark in so many ways. Because of it, his relationships with his brother, mother, teammates, friends, and villains are all in flux. The dialogue is always top notch and here its laugh out loud f ...more
Andy
Jul 23, 2014 rated it liked it
Good good - Kirkman and Ottley still bring the awesomeness. The first half is excellent, setting up a brand new status quo (in a comic book - who would have thought it..?) which works nicely. The second half was a little weaker though, not just for the romance side of things (which is handled well) but The Astounding Wolf-Man crossover didn't really do it for me (though the way Mark handled it was nice).

The violence is even more extreme here with some impressive inking and pencils and the ever g
Jonathan Schildbach
Sep 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
'Invincible' continues to be a favorite, largely by getting into some unexpected territory. What they do with Invincible's younger brother, for example, gets pretty extreme, while also being totally justified. The big drawback for me in this issue is a situation of partner abuse that gets "resolved" in a very cliched way--when I expected Kirkman to come up with something better (like, maybe Invincible asking the victim what would be helpful). Still, there are other interesting betrayals, along w ...more
Nancy
Mar 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
Still not hooked per se, but definitely...invested. This huge pile of plot is ramping up. Still lots going on but it doesn't quite feel like the disconnected mess it was before.

Was it just me, or was this volume the Invincible version of Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, aka the angry shouty stage of Mark's maturation? Not that his anger wasn't justified, but it had a bit of an OOTP vibe to it. I feel like Mark *is* maturing, though, which is great.

Those sequid things? Creeeepy. Not l
B
Jul 21, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: borrowed
John
Jun 20, 2010 rated it liked it
Some of the things that were hinted at in the previous volume take center stage here, changing Invincible's life in fairly significant ways.

Still a good read, although I'm starting to understand the comments I've seen about the graphic violence getting a bit old after a while.
Hakan Jackson
Apr 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Ok, I know less and less about who is "good" and who is "bad" and I love it. I never have been a fan of evil for the sake of being evil or being good for the sake of being good. It's just lazy writing and Invincible will have none of it.
Dan
May 24, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
The initial stories don’t quite flow, but this collection picks up steam quickly. The issues are fast-paced, and full of action and character development. If you’re at all interested in superheroics, you should probably be reading Invincible.
Todd
I don't really care for Oliver as a character but that's not enough to ruin my enjoyment.

There are times where the art looks like a more subtle Romita Jr. Not sure if that's a compliment or not, but it works.
Paul
Feb 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
y robert yall gotta add this lil purple kid
Eric
May 05, 2010 rated it really liked it
Kirkman is awesome!
Kass
Jun 18, 2010 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: comic lovers
Recommended to Kass by: Kim
These are dark comics, that still have clever moments that make you laugh. This particular batch is full of government gray areas and killer zombie robots.
Richard
Sep 08, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
A great comic book that is getting better with each volume...
Matt Sadorf
May 21, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely love this book, Kirkman and Ottley just get better and better issue by issue. Quite possibly the best superhero book out there today.
Fabian
Nov 21, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comic, graphic-novel
It seems impossible but it just gets better and better. Best superhero comic out there ... I just wish for more Allen the Alien ... I like Allen ...
  • Invincible Presents Atom Eve & Rex Splode Volume 1
  • Ex Machina: The Deluxe Edition, Vol. 2
  • Incorruptible, Vol. 1
  • Powers: Definitive Collection, Vol. 2
  • Axe Cop, Vol. 3
  • Dynamo 5, Volume 1: Post-Nuclear Family
  • The Starman Omnibus, Vol. 4
More about Robert Kirkman

Invincible Ultimate Collection (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Invincible: Ultimate Collection, Vol. 1