Start by marking “Itty Bitty” as Want to Read:
Itty Bitty

Itty Bitty

For a teeny-tiny dog seeking a home in a daunting world, big hopes — and a bit of ingenuity — go a long way.

Itty Bitty is a very, very tiny dog. But when he finds an enormous bone, he goes straight to work, gnawing out doors and windows and hollowing out the entire inside. When his work is done, however, his cavernous house still feels incomplete. Where can he find some it
Published June 9th 2009 by Candlewick Press

To ask other readers questions about Itty Bitty, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Itty Bitty

David Schaafsma
Nov 09, 2015 David Schaafsma rated it liked it
Shelves: picturebooks
A small, bizarre tale (which is a good thing, to be bizarre, in picture books) about a tiny dog that hollows out a huge bone and lives in it, gets tiny furniture for it. I thought it was just okay, though Bell's art is cool here, but my two sons (9 and 10) both said they loved it, thought it was dumb and funny because it was so dumb. I don't mean "so bad it is good," as in cult classics. Just silly and improbable. Not a typical little kid book.
Jess Brown
I almost gave this book four stars, just because itty bitty is so cute, as are the illustrations. But really, there's not much substance to this book. Itty Bitty finds an enormous bone and decides to make it his home. Only problem is that he needs things to put inside it. So he goes shopping in the Teeny Weeny department and finds a way to make his bone a home. Cute, but not much there. Good for preschoolers, maybe toddlers, too.
paula
It's cute as pie, and I really liked it and you can just SHUT UP. Not everything has to be complex and bittersweet in order to be good. Itty Bitty is a supertiny dog, who drives a walnut-shell car, and who picks out some furniture for his little house in this undersized book. And that's it, and it's sweet and simple and gives you a nice warm feeling inside.
Liza Gilbert
Sep 11, 2009 Liza Gilbert rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
This is a slight story about a tiny dog who finds a huge bone, hollows it out to be his home, and then goes shopping for teeny furniture. The message seems to be that if you're feeling bad, shopping will be the solution. The story is forgettable, but the art is very pleasing.
Mrs.Melaugh Melaugh
Jul 26, 2017 Mrs.Melaugh Melaugh rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
When an “itty bitty” dog that is so tiny that daisies tower over him finds a dog treat, he chomps out the inside to create a house. Next, he gets in his tiny cart and heads to the great big department store to find the perfect cozy furnishings. Where? In the Teeny-Weeny Department, of course! After adding his purchases (sofa, lamp, rug, and book) to the house, he looks around the inviting space and pronounces it to be “wonderful!” The underlying message is a reassuring one – with a bit of effort ...more
Casandria
Feb 23, 2017 Casandria rated it really liked it
Shelves: preschool, picture
A cute book about a tiny dog who makes a home
Victoria
Sep 09, 2016 Victoria rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
This is a bright and cheerful book with a lovely message for both young and old. It's about having a place of your own to call home, making it truly yours by filling it with what matters and what suits you. It's about finding your itty bitty place in a great big world. This little dog is just charming and with very few words conveys his feelings of pride in his new home, one that wasn't complete until he found itty bitty objects to surround himself.

I gave it to my (fully grown) sister upon the p
Betty Anne
Jun 17, 2015 Betty Anne rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: I do not recommend this book
My daughter found this book on the floor of the library while we were visiting there and asked me to read it to her. Itty Bitty has cute and colorful illustrations, but the story didn't captivate her nearly as much as the pictures did. I'm actually rather glad for that fact; I was disappointed that the main character (Itty Bitty) filled up his house with things he bought at a store in order to feel happy. I was waiting for the story to introduce family, friends, pets, a job, or even a hobby that ...more
Chato
Book Title: Itty Bitty
Author/Illistrator: Cece Bell
Reading Level: 1.6
Book Level: k-3
Book Summary: The book is a great example of perception and the point of view. Itty Bitty is the name of the dog, but who is also itty bitty. I thought of a child in an adult world as I read this book.

The charactoristics that support this genre are the realistic illustrations of Itty Bitty compared to the world that he lives in.

Writing traits used are word choice. This author did a great job of bringing the wor
Rachel
Aug 26, 2009 Rachel rated it liked it
Really cute illustrations, but a flat story. The story is that in order to make a house feel like home, Itty Bitty filled his home with itty bitty objects. Perhaps if this story were developed more, saying that Itty Bitty's house felt like home when filled with family members or friends, it would have been a fuller story. Unfortunately, it focuses only on material items.
Traci Bold
Sep 28, 2016 Traci Bold rated it really liked it
When you are small, petite or even itty bitty, it's hard to find just the right home or things to make you feel at home. Such is the case for Itty Bitty, a teeny tiny dog who finds an enormous bone to turn into a home for him.

This picture book written and illustrated by Cece Bell, should spark conversations with little ones. Published by Candlewick Press.

#dog #beingsmall #home
Cassie
Sep 12, 2016 Cassie rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-lit
I really enjoyed reading this book. I feel like it would be beneficial to read it to lower grades such as kindergarten through third grade because it was a really simple and fun read. I think that grades above third grade would kind of be a little bored with the quickness and simplicity of the book.
Kelly Triplett
Jan 31, 2012 Kelly Triplett rated it it was amazing
A great book that can be used to show students that what matters is on the inside. It's a good story to encourage young students to read; it has an easily understood message and the pictures are appealing.
Ashley Greenfield
Dec 15, 2012 Ashley Greenfield rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book
Melle
Nov 30, 2015 Melle rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: everyone who is looking for their home to feel like home
Sweet story, sweet illustrations -- a good quiet time read. Would be a lovely book for a young child who is learning sizes or who just moved into a new home or a young adult in her first home. Cece Bell is the queen of heartwarming awesomeness.
Dolly
Nov 25, 2009 Dolly rated it liked it
Recommends it for: beginning readers and parents reading with them
Shelves: childrens, 2011
This is a short and sweet story about a little tiny dog who makes a house out of a bone. The illustrations are adorable, and the narrative is simple for young readers. Our youngest read this book aloud to us and we enjoyed reading it together.
Karen
Mar 29, 2014 Karen rated it liked it
My five-year-old picked this book out from the library last week.

This is an itty-bitty book about an itty-bitty dog. The story, such as it is, is fine. There just isn't very much to it.

The illustrations suit the itty-bitty story just fine.

Dee
Apr 29, 2012 Dee rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
This book for some reason just cracked me up. Maybe because it reminded me of another book I read a long time ago to my children called Tommy the Winner who builds a house of cheese he wins. Does anyone remember that book? I loved when he went to the department store to the itty bitty section.
Jenny Lussier
Apr 26, 2012 Jenny Lussier rated it it was amazing
This book was recommended to me by a 1st grader (I actually purchased a couple books by this author). I thought it was good, but the kids just LOVE it! Something about a tiny little dog that just gets them.
Holly
Itty bitty dog makes a house by hollowing out a bone, but then realizes he needs to furnish it with teeny weeny furniture and things. This would be a cute house-warming gift (especially for petite people!).
Susan  Dunn
Apr 08, 2010 Susan Dunn rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
So cute! Too small for story time, but I'm going to use it for our library story line next week. Itty Bitty is a teeny tiny dog who makes his home out of a big dog bone that he hollows out. Now he just needs furniture!
Elisabeth
May 11, 2011 Elisabeth rated it liked it
Looked at it to use this for a Big/Little storytime but the book itself is too ittty bitty. Charming dog, charming bone/house but not much else going on story-wise.

Julie
Mar 03, 2014 Julie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 500-by-five
We've been reading this every day for about a week. We like how the little guy wins! We also enjoy choosing furnishings and seeing them in the bone.
Boni
Jul 07, 2009 Boni rated it liked it
Hmmm. Well, I love the design and art- very cute. The story fell kind of flat for me when all he did was buy small things for his new house to feel like home.
The Book Box
Oct 23, 2016 The Book Box added it
Shelves: library
Mama read this to me the other night. I loved the cute tiny puppy!
Iroquois
Feb 01, 2014 Iroquois rated it really liked it
Shelves: juvenile-fiction
super-dee-duper cute.
Vicki
Jun 20, 2013 Vicki rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture, tiny-tots
A short and sweet picture book, about a tiny "itty bitty" dog who makes a BIG bone his home. Fun to use your "itty bitty" voice when reading this to a group.
Gina Pecoraro
Mar 20, 2012 Geni rated it really liked it
Delightful
Katie
Sep 05, 2009 Katie rated it it was amazing
It's not itty bitty on the cuteness!!!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • No Two Alike
  • Rufus Goes to School
  • Wombat Walkabout
  • Birds
I'm an author and an illustrator, and sadly not a jazz pianist. I live in an old church in the hills of Virginia with my husband, author Tom Angleberger. I work right next door in a new-ish barn. I've written and illustrated a bunch of books for kids and was lucky enough to get a Geisel Honor for one of 'em. If you want to know more about my hearing loss or my childhood (or both), check out my fir ...more
More about Cece Bell...