Start by marking “Another Fine Myth / Myth Conceptions (Myth Adventures, #1-2)” as Want to Read:
Another Fine Myth / Myth Conceptions (Myth Adventures, #1-2)

Another Fine Myth / Myth Conceptions

(Myth Adventures #1-2)

Another Fine Myth - Skeeve's master is murdered, and now this apprentice magician must deal with Aahz, a powerless demon summoned by the old magician as a joke.
Myth Conceptions - Skeeve auditions for court magician of Rodrick and, unfortunately, gets the job.
Published May 2002 by Ace Penguin Berkley (first published 1980)

To ask other readers questions about Another Fine Myth / Myth Conceptions, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Another Fine Myth / Myth Conceptions

David
Oct 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
Classic! Totally love this series!
Ought to be a television program.
Stephen
3.0 to 3.5 stars. This is an omnibus edition of the first two installments of the Myth Adventures series, Another Fine Myth and Myth Conceptions. See my review for each individual installment, but overall this is an enjoyable, light-hearted series that is certainly worth trying.
Elizabeth
Mar 31, 2008 rated it really liked it
You will be myth-ing in action for reading these books. The first two in the series are very good.
D.L. Morrese
Jan 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fun-fantasy
The life of a young magician's apprentice becomes amusingly complicated when his mentor is assassinated soon after summoning a 'demon.' The assassin fares no better than his target, vaporized by the magician's fireball. The summoned demon remains unscathed, other than for losing his magic. As they say, those who can't do, teach, so he becomes the apprentice's new mentor. These first two books of the Myth Adventures series are better than I remembered. Actually, It's been so long since I first re ...more
Seth Galbraith
Apr 13, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Seth by: a friend
Magicians. Demons. Vampires. Comedy. Worker Cooperatives.

I grew out of corny fantasy genre humor (i.e. Piers Anthony) in Junior High. Now I pride myself in only reading the hard stuff*. So when a friend drops his complete Robert Asprin collection in my lap, I was surprised to find something new that I could relate to and enjoy.

* i.e. Terry Pratchett - try to keep up with me here.

You will miss some jokes if you aren't into old movies and fantasy/sci-fi genre geek culture, but Asprin seems to have
Bert Edens
May 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Being a fan of Asprin's "Phule's" series, but never having delved into the "Myth" series, I had high hopes for the first two books in the series... and I wasn't disappointed.

The books are carried in the same light but active way, keeping the reader interested while sprinkling in a handful of puns, as if a lite version of Piers Anthony. Of course, he leaves the story open for many sequels, of which there are a bounty.

Definitely recommended for anyone who enjoys light sci-fi/fantasy books.
Alex
Oct 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Another Fine MYTH: 4.5
I love this series. Skeeve, the main character, is a little annoying but it just makes him a better protagonist. However, his skill level increases seemingly out of nowhere in this book which makes the story less enticing.

Myth Conceptions: 5
This book is great. If you're not interested in reading the whole series this the the one I'd recommend. All of the characters are at their best and the story keeps you on your toes.
Riley
Mar 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
There are a few plot holes, but overall I enjoyed this light hearted adventure story.
KathleenB
Jun 11, 2018 rated it liked it
Cute and kinda entertaining, but gets monotonous sometimes. 3.5 stars.
M. J.
Aug 18, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-fiction
An Odd1
Dec 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
Another Fine Myth

"Things are not always as they seem - Mandrake p 16, ch 2.
"Careful planning is the key to safe and swift travel" - Ulysses p 32, ch 4.
"A woman, like a good piece of music, should have a solid end" - F. Schubert p 199, ch 26. Chapters start with funny pretend quotes.

Skeeve, wannabe thief, narrates apprenticeship to "pointed teeth" p 212 green scaly demon Aahz, called from another dimension (dimen thus demon) Pervect to dull planet Klahd. They run from assassins who killed his o
Alice
Feb 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017
Terrific fantasy adventure.
Ана Хелс
Apr 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Когато говорим за наистина добре разкикотващо хумористично фентъзи, едно от първите имена, които е правилно да изникват в читателския ум, трябва да е това на Асприн. В работата му можем да разчитаме на майсторски изключително лек стил, свежи истории, постоянни каламбури и закачки с почти всички примери на съвременни културни образци било то в литературата, киното или историята въобще. Разбира се, тук не говорим за изисканото щипещо езика английско чувство за хумор, а за доволно забавното по запа ...more
Joshua
Jul 09, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Any one looking for a funny and simple diversion
When Robert Aspirin passed away in May 2008, I decided to dig up his Myth series of books that I had lying around in boxes. Luckily, this book collects the first two books of the series in a handy and affordable package. With each book totaling roughly 200 pages, it was a quick read. So, what do I think of a book I've had for roughly 6 years and have only gotten around to with the passing of its author-- meh. Not bad, but not really all that great. Here's the low-down:

This is the story of a yo
Roxane
Feb 03, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, humor
When I purchased this book on Amazon, it was not only because it had been recommended on bookwyrmmes but mostly because Terry Pratchett once said that Robert Asprin was the one of never failed to make him laugh. I was therefore expecting something along the same lines as Pratchett. This book proved me wrong, but did not disappoint me in the least. It was well written though much lighter than Pratchett’s sometimes complex and heavy style. This lightness reflected the freshness of Asprin’s story. ...more
Laura Martin
May 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
A fun, lighthearted and hilarious adventure featuring the apprentice magician Skeeve and his demonic master, Aahz. The best thing about this book is easily the dialog, it feels fluid and natural. The characters often make sarcastic and biting remarks at each other, to the sheer enjoyment of the reader. The adventures themselves are over the top and not meant to be taken seriously - the villians are often comedically stupid. All in all, this book will immerse you in a one of a kind world on a sin ...more
Emily
Mar 18, 2011 rated it liked it
This book seems perfect for 12-13 year old boys. There were some parts that were interesting but overall the plot or story was not that complex. To tell you the truth, it reminded me in style to a not-as-good Fablehaven. I had heard so much about the humor and wordplay that I was very optimistic, but overall it fell flat for me. It had it's (brief) moments but overall not very satisfying. Like, it refers to a dragon as 'talon-ted'. Ba-dum-bah. I probably won't read the others in the series.
Rosa
Jul 13, 2009 rated it really liked it

This is the first two books in the Myth Adventures and I found them very entertaining. The story's are very simple and easy to follow plots, what makes these books great are the characters and all of the word play. Skeev is a magician's apprentice from the Klah dimension, naturally called a Klahd, Deveels are from Deva and they are all merchants with cloven hooves and horns, etc. These books are great quick reads for when you need a laugh.
Marco
Jan 10, 2011 rated it really liked it
Easy humor-fantasy-satir, with cheap puns.

Nothing complicated or intellectual,
but if you are looking for something easy, to relax and enjoys, go for it
(I kind of read the whole 'myth' serie. Although in the end books, it is not as good, being to clearly a parody of the current world with very redundant characters. i.e. drop to 3 or 2 stars)
Jaclyn
Mar 19, 2008 rated it really liked it
A cute twist a couple of old fantasy cliches. Silly and more than a little ridiculous, this is the kind of book that I devour in a matter of hours. The kind of book that leaves you laughing (half with the book and half at it) but doesn't force you to think about anything in a new way.
Top Cat =^_^=
Jan 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the first two Myth Books in one. Good way to get to learn about the characters. These books are full of great fun and adventure. Makes you forget the worries of the day and just soaks you in like water to a sponge. Recommend for anyone who enjoys a good comedy adventure and full of fantasy fun =^_^=
Andy
May 24, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone
Recommended to Andy by: Tom
The very begining seemed like just another fantisy but that changed so fast and hilariously. It kept me chucking and excited to see what trouble they'd get into and how they'd get out of it. Another fine myth was great but ended a little anti-climacticly. Myth conceptions was just amazing though and though. It's Fantisy humor that read fast, easy, and great.
Jen
Aug 11, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fantasy & Comedy fans
Shelves: fantasy
I didn't expect too much when I got this one from the library, so I was pleasantly surprised by the laugh-out-loud wackiness of the story. Think Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy, only in a fantasy (as opposed to sci-fi) setting. This volume has 2 books/stories in it, and the first I thought was much better than the second, but both are entertaining. Definitely worth a read.
Allison
Feb 14, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
These were a couple of fun, light fantasy reads that make a bit of fun of the genre in good spirit. I enjoyed them because they are relatively short and self contained so while I want to read more books in this series, I don't feel that I need to track them down immediately. The style reminds me somewhat of Diana Wynne Jones.
Scott Magill
I thought that the best part about this book was how the exposition is given through the education of the main character. The way magic works in this world is given in a shared experience between the reader and main character
Emily
Sep 27, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Most
Recommended to Emily by: Charity Lund
Good clean fun. It makes fun of other fantasy books, while still having an enjoyable and somewhat original plot. Or at least a different way of looking at it. Very witty humor and characterizations.
D.w.
Dec 12, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
I first read this in college, and to this day it still causes me to grin.

This should appeal to you if you like fantasy and you like humor. Enjoying puns is also helpful.

Skeeve and his adventures and friends are well worth the effort.
Maria
Nov 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Maria by: Wyatt
I don't know which I enjoyed more, the chapters or the chapter headings. They are both delightful and I look forward to the next two in the Myth series. Imaginative and amusing, these books are fun to read, and Skeeve is a character worth getting to know.
Edward Snell
Jun 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Both stories were absolutely enjoyable and in fact flowed together so well I really read both from beginning to end as if it was one story. I really loved the little bit of hidden humor at the start of each chapter in the second story with the "quotes" from famous historical characters
Jeanette
Oct 02, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
These books are "cute." I will eventually read them all because they are an easy feel good fantasy read. The writing itself is "okay," but the stories are fast paced and keep me interested. Really, I will read anything with a dragon in it, which is probably the reason I keep reading these. ;)
Silver Stag Book ...: Another Fine Myth by Robert Aspirin 1 3 Jan 26, 2015 02:21PM
  • Conqueror (The General, #3-5)
  • The Wizardry Consulted (Wiz, #4)
  • Orion Among the Stars (Orion, # 5)
  • The Chronicles of Castle Brass: Count Brass/Quest for Tanelorn/Champion of Garathorm
  • A Fighting Man of Mars / Swords of Mars (Barsoom #7-8)
  • The Three of Swords (Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser #1-3)
  • Counter-Measures (Forbidden Borders, #3)
  • Bound in Blood (Kencyrath, #5)
  • Time Traders/Galactic Derelict (Time Traders / Ross Murdock, #1-2)
  • The Prince (Falkenberg's Legion #1-4)
  • The Book of Athyra (Vlad Taltos, #6-7)
  • Doctor Who: Transit
  • The Fallible Fiend (Novarian, #3)
  • Guardians of the Flame: The Warriors (Guardians of the Flame, #1-3)
  • Stars' End (Starfishers Trilogy, #3)
  • The Dragon on the Border (Dragon Knight #3)
  • The Cage (Baen Fantasy)
  • The Service of the Sword (Worlds of Honor, #4)
Robert (Lynn) Asprin was born in 1946. While he wrote some stand alone novels such as Cold Cash War, Tambu and The Bug Wars and also the Duncan and Mallory Illustrated stories, Bob is best known for his series fantasy, such as the Myth Adventures of Aahz and Skeeve, the Phule’s Company novels and the Time Scout novels written with Linda Evans. He also edited the groundbreaking Thieves’ World antho ...more

Myth Adventures (1 - 10 of 22 books)
  • Another Fine Myth (Myth Adventures, #1)
  • Myth Conceptions (Myth Adventures, #2)
  • Myth Directions (Myth Adventures, #3)
  • Hit or Myth (Myth Adventures, #4)
  • Myth-ing Persons (Myth Adventures, #5)
  • Little Myth Marker (Myth Adventures, #6)
  • M.Y.T.H. Inc. Link (Myth Adventures, #7)
  • Myth-Nomers and Im-Pervections (Myth Adventures, #8)
  • M.Y.T.H. Inc. in Action (Myth Adventures, #9)
  • Sweet Myth-Tery of Life (Myth Adventures, #10)