Start by marking “Designing Better Maps: A Guide for GIS Users” as Want to Read:
Designing Better Maps: A Guide for GIS Users

Designing Better Maps: A Guide for GIS Users

3.92  ·  Rating details ·  64 Ratings  ·  6 Reviews
Describing how to build balanced map layouts suited to varied mapping goals, this guide focuses on export options that suit different media and can be edited in other applications. The wide range of text characteristics needed for expert map design as well as how to improve map readability with type effects such as character spacing, leading, callouts, shadows, and halos i ...more
Published August 1st 2005 by ESRI Press

To ask other readers questions about Designing Better Maps, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Designing Better Maps

Laurian
Nov 22, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: ux, non-fiction
This book was pretty good and much of what I expected. I cannot really criticize the book because what I'm really looking for is a book on doing UI for maps, which as far as I can tell doesn't really exist (yet). But this was good for helping me think about coloring elements, thinking through how to organize and display different types of data, and all of the different choices for how to do so.
Allen
Oct 24, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Cartographers
This book includes many tips for creating better maps. It also has explanations of the cartographic standards out there in the world. Not the most exciting read, but a must-read for any cartographer.
Tom Panning
Nov 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: usability
If you will be handcrafting static maps, this book goes over a lot of the details that can make the difference between a map that is accurate and one that is accurate and easy to understand. Many of the examples are taken from real maps, and you can get a feel for the depth of experience that the author is drawing on. Some tips are broadly applicable to anyone who is making a map for any purpose, but others only apply to people who have the ability to spend a lot of time on each map.
I was hoping
Aubrey Anne
Apr 18, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: user-experience
I was looking for a book to help me design web based map applications. Unfortunately, this was not the book. It contains information primarily on designing static maps for things like posters, signs, brochures, presentations, etc. It did have a few good tips, but most of it wasn't what I was looking for.
Nyall
Apr 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I'm a big fan of this book. It's full off useful cartographic advice, with plenty of illustrated examples. Before I read it I was worried it might be too ArcGIS centric (given that it's published by ESRI), but all the guidelines given are generic and can easily be applied to any GIS/Illustration package.
KungFu Drafter
Aug 14, 2011 rated it liked it
What can you really say about a book on making maps? If you're starting out in GIS then it's a good read. I found it a little out of my area of expertise but still interesting.
Ronald Clarke
Jul 14, 2012
Clare Nolan
Aug 22, 2010
« previous 1 3 next »
Cynthia A. Brewer is a professor in the Department of Geography at The Pennsylvania State University. She has M.A. and Ph.D. degrees in geography with emphasis in cartography from Michigan State University. Her research interests are in map design, color theory applications in cartography, multiscale and multirepresentation cartography, hypothesis generation in visualization, choropleth classifica ...more
More about Cynthia A. Brewer...