Start by marking “Deathstalker (Deathstalker, #1)” as Want to Read:
Deathstalker (Deathstalker, #1)

Deathstalker (Deathstalker #1)

3.92  ·  Rating details ·  4,224 Ratings  ·  182 Reviews
The Iron Bitch-- her Imperial Majesty Lionstone XIV-- ruled the human Empire with fear. From peasants to masters of the galaxy's most powerful families, all were subject to the queen's unpredictable decrees of "outlawing" and death.

Owen Deathstalker, unwilling head of his clan, sought to avoid the perils of the Empire's warring factions but unexpectedly found a price on hi
Mass Market Paperback, 571 pages
Published May 11th 2006 by Gollancz (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Deathstalker, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Deathstalker

Gavin
Jul 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
Deathstalker was a fast paced fun space opera in the Star Wars mould. It was not thought provoking sci-fi by any means but Simon R Green has an engaging writing style and despite using every sci-fi cliché in the book his story was still enjoyable and the characters even had a little depth to them!

Owen Deathstalker is a historian who has moved to the fringe of the Imperial Empire to get away from the politics that got his famous warrior father killed. Unfortunately for him the tyrannical Empress
Audrey
Jan 21, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-punk-fi
Great laser-mounted cannons of excess! What is this nonsense?

In one first volume of a space opera we have, in no discernible order: Mob-style family feuds! A merciless and corrupt ruler! A hope for the future of Humanity* macguffin! Imprisoned empaths! Clones! A lecherous old woman-hater in charge! Two ninjas who both disguise themselves as Emo Philips! A reluctant hero! A rag-tag band of sidekicks! Killer whores! Naked assassin sex-slaves! Gay assassins in love! Rooftop-guardian-angel-assassin!
Becca
Aug 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I have to say, that if you can't read a book without analyzing and reading to actively criticize, then you will certainly find loads of things to criticize about this book - the gore, the incessantly repeated phrases often within a couple of pages of each other, the cliche's and the ways that the main characters get out of situations. But, I read for pure enjoyment, nothing else, and if like me you read for enjoyment, love fantasy, science-fiction, and pure fun, then you will love this book.

For
Mary JL
Jun 04, 2009 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of science fiction--esp space opera
Recommended to Mary JL by: Found at sale
Shelves: main-sf-fantasy
Review is a bit late guys--unpacking from the move took longer than I thught! Amazing how much stuff one accumlates after 15 years in one apartment. Did not get much reading done either. (*sigh*)

Onwards to the review. When it first came out, the cover looked to me like the story inside was a Star Wars clone; so I was in no hurry to read it.

However, while there are many similarities to Star Wars, there are such similarities in many space opera tales.

Simon Green's style is interesting. I liked the
Chrissyreads
Oct 28, 2009 rated it really liked it
This is definitely not a book for every sci-fi lover. Especially those who like serious space adventures. This book is satirical in nature and explores most standard plot lines for a space opera. Evil ruler, gigantic empire, and epic battles are a given in this book. Plus he adds zombies and all sorts of things you won't find in, say, Star Wars. Also, this book has some of the most reprehensible villains that you find yourself growing a little fond of. My personal favorite is Valentine (though, ...more
Collin
Jan 06, 2009 rated it did not like it
I've recently been on something of a Simon Green kick. That's ok, let it out. What can I say? I kind of like this guy. He's prolific as all heck, clearly has a very active imagination and is making a living as a writer. He's practically my idol. However, he also drops books like an overfed pigeon and when you do this there's absolutely no way they are all going to be good. Deathstalker is, I think, the best example of this. When you read a lot of an author's work you start to pick up on their ti ...more
Lauren Smith
It's absolute overkill from beginning to end, but it's quite good fun. Reading Deathstalker is the literary equivalent of going to see a blockbuster for the sheer thrill of awesome special effects, superhuman warriors and amazing fight scenes. In other words, watch out for the one-liners, expect no subtlety, sit back and have a great time as a few bold rebels face insurmountable odds going up against a cruel galactic Empire.
Eric Allen
Dec 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
Deathstalker
Book 1 of Deathstalker
By Simon R. Green

A Deathstalker Retrospective by Eric Allen

Welcome to my new retrospective series. We've looked at Science Fiction series in retrospective, and we've looked at Fantasy series in retrospective. Now, let's take a look at something called Science Fantasy. Science Fantasy has elements of both Science Fiction and Fantasy in it that prevents it from being readily assigned to either genre. A Science Fantasy story will typically make use of both futurist
Traci
Nov 27, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A long fan of Green's, I first thought about reading the Deathstalker series while working my way through one of his Secret Histories entries (Eddie Drood enlists the help of a Deathstalker, though for the life of me I can't remember which one). The idea sat on a back burner of my reading brain until I found a copy on Amazon for a penny + shipping. Well, why not, I thought? If it's good, great. If it's horrible, not a huge investment, and I could always donate it to the library.

This is a much di
Mark
Sep 09, 2009 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: People who really love star wars but want to read something non-star wars
Shelves: sciencefiction
Deathstalker...yeah...

Where to begin?

There's this evil empire of humanity and it's led by the dark evil emporer...no wait...she's an empress and she's not so dark, but she is evil. Anyway there's this hopeful young farm boy named Luke Skywalk...wait, that's not it. He's a young aristocrat named Owen Deathstalker. So the Empress puts a bounty on the head of Owen for seemingly no reason, causing him to make a run for it.

Luckily, he is rescued by the spunky-yet-beautiful princess Leia...wait, it's
The Sword and Laser: A True Sword & Laser Series Read 1 51 Oct 26, 2011 07:03AM
  • We Few (Empire of Man, #4)
  • A Confederation of Valor (Confederation, #1-2)
  • The Clone Alliance (Rogue Clone, #3)
  • Death's Head (Death's Head #1)
  • Matadora (Matador, #2)
  • Orphan's Destiny (Jason Wander, #2)
  • Chasing the Dragon (Quantum Gravity #4)
  • The Outback Stars (The Outback Stars #1)
  • Beyond Varallan (Stardoc, #2)
  • Starship: Mutiny (Starship, #1)
  • Cordelia's Honor (Vorkosigan Omnibus, #1)
  • Planetfall
  • A Call to Arms (The Damned, #1)
  • The Myriad (Tour of the Merrimack, #1)
  • Midshipman's Hope (Seafort Saga, #1)
  • The Court of a Thousand Suns (Sten, #3)
  • The Price of the Stars (Mageworlds, #1)
  • Choice of the Cat (Vampire Earth #2)
41942
Simon Richard Green is a British science fiction and fantasy-author. He holds a degree in Modern English and American Literature from the University of Leicester. His first publication was in 1979.

His Deathstalker series is partly a parody of the usual space-opera of the 1950s, told with sovereign disregard of the rules of probability, while being at the same time extremely bloodthirsty.

Excerpted
More about Simon R. Green...

Deathstalker (8 books)
  • Deathstalker Rebellion (Deathstalker, #2)
  • Deathstalker War (Deathstalker, #3)
  • Deathstalker Honor (Deathstalker, #4)
  • Deathstalker Destiny (Deathstalker, #5)
  • Deathstalker Legacy (Deathstalker, #6)
  • Deathstalker Return (Deathstalker, #7)
  • Deathstalker Coda (Deathstalker, #8)
“Too many people live the lives other people think they ought to, following orders they don't agree with, for causes they don't believe in. They live lives that don't matter, that touch no one and change nothing. For better or worse, you and I stared evil in the eye and didn't flinch. We raised our swords and went to war, and even if we didn't win we kicked some ass along the way. We made a difference, and that's all any man can ask.” 31 likes