Start by marking “Midnight Pleasures with a Scoundrel (Scoundrels of St. James, #4)” as Want to Read:
Midnight Pleasures with a Scoundrel (Scoundrels of St. James, #4)

Midnight Pleasures with a Scoundrel

(Scoundrels of St. James #4)

She Sought Revenge But Discovered Desire.

On a quest to avenge her sister's death, Eleanor Watkins never expected to fall for the man following her through pleasure gardens and into ballrooms. But soon nothing can keep her from the arms of the sinfully attractive scoundrel, not even the dangerous secrets she keeps. Strong, compassionate, and utterly irresistible, James is a
Published October 27th 2009 by Avon (first published October 13th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Midnight Pleasures with a Scoundrel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Midnight Pleasures with a Scoundrel

♡Karlyn P♡
I love a good story twist that can outsmart the reader, and this one had it. Just when I thought this was going to be yet another oh-so-boring-typical regency romance, Lorraine Heath pulls out a pretty solid storyline twist that kept me entertained and glued to the book up to the end.

This is James Swindler's story, the man who thought himself in love with Frannie Darling. He is a notorious inspector with the knack for solving murders, and finds himself hired to protect a lord from possible dang
Jo ★The Book Sloth★
4 Stars

James Swindler grew up on the streets since he was 8 until Claybourne's grandfather took all of Feagan's lads in and taught them how to rise above the circumstances of their childhood. Now one of the most respected inspectors of Scotland Yard, with no crime he hasn't been able to solve, he is quite vexed when he finds himself following a lady around as an assignement. It's quite obvious that the lady can't be a danger to anyone although the lord who made the complaint seems to believe tha
Beanbag Love
Jan 19, 2010 rated it really liked it
This one didn't hit the spot as strongly as the first three in this series did for me. It's a solid four for the second half, though.

I'm not sure how to explain why I had some problems with it. First and foremost, I'm certain is that I'm under a lot of stress right now with things outside the books I'm reading -- how dare real life intrude! -- so that might have been too big of a distraction for a book that focuses on a mystery with some twists.

James Swindler was brought into Feagans group of l
Juliana Philippa

He'd deceived himself when he began th
Lisa Kay
★★★★✩ (This is a review of the audiobook.) What can I say about the narration of the wonderful, award-wining Susan Erickson that hasn't already been said? Other than, if you haven't discovered the joys of audiobooks, you need to know that the narrator can make a book or break it. Should you want to get into them, look to any of SE's narrations.

As far as the story, it is a comment enough theme, but so well done by Ms. Heath, who doesn't fail to provide some nice twists along the way. Yes, twists.
Daniella
Jun 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
“I know what it is to have you in my life. I know what it is to have you walk out of it. I will do whatever I must to see that you don’t walk out of it again.”
description

I thought that I wouldn't cry. I thought that I was prepared for this novel. But I was damn wrong because nothing could have prepared myself for this--this emotional roller coaster ride that made me growl with frustration, cry with sorrow, and laugh with glee.

Although the novel was beautifully written and well-paced, I admit that it was
Aly is so frigging bored
Apr 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: historical
1st read: May 2013
Great book, amazing series! I love the twists and turns the author came up with, and though I am sure that there was a thing or 2 that I disliked, for the life of me I can't remember what it was! Ms. Heath just blew me away!

2nd read: September 2014
Buddy read with Jo
sraxe
I think this series (other than the first book) would've been better suited for a series of novellas. There's not much to the stories (at least not in the writing) that warrants full-length novels. Other than Claybourne's, these books have been a helping of loads of instalust with a side of some plot. The characters are constantly mooning over one another (from afar, close together and all distances in between) from the moment they meet and continue to do so even after they've consummated.

Genera
Sandy M
Jul 25, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: historical
A chapter or so into this book, I was worried. I wasn’t liking James as much as I’d liked the other heroes in this series’ previous books. I’m not sure why either. But I should have known better. Lorraine Heath is an expert in her field, and she soon caught me by the heartstrings and taught me a valuable lesson.

Eleanor is out for revenge for the death of her sister. She knows who killed her and everything is planned out to the last detail, starting by following the man throughout London. Of cour
Lover of Romance
After the death of her sister, Eleanor Watkins, comes up with a plan for revenge. When her sister goes into London for the season with hopes and dreams of finding a husband and a more secure future for her family, but comes back to them broken in body and spirit. After her death, Eleanor looks through her journal, and after finding the true reason of what truly happened to her in London, she is bent for revenge, against the one man that is truly evil in every respect. But as she follows him arou ...more
Chumchum_88
Lorraine Heath is an amazing writer she finds a way to move around words, characters, scenes into different designs that makes every reader enjoys the story even when some elements might be something the reader doesn't like she finds a way to make it all work out fabulously.

- I Loved James, he gave different impressions in each book, mostly a bit distant, like with Luke he followed the orders because he believed it's Luke's due as a lord, then with Dodger he didn't trust him, with Franny he was
BJ Rose
Jan 26, 2010 rated it really liked it
This historical-romance series gives a new twist to the story of Fagin's boys from Dickens' Oliver Twist, and lets you see what could have happened if someone gave them a chance to escape their lives as pickpockets and thieves. Some have names we recognize, such as Jack Dodger; Oliver becomes Luke, who is discovered to be the grandson of a duke. Others are cleverly named - Frannie chose the last name of Darling because Feagan always called her 'Frannie, darling'; James chose the surname Swindler ...more
Fani *loves angst*
If I continue reading historicals where the heroine gives her virginity without a second thought to her virtue or an unwanted pregnancy, I might have to give up on the genre. And I might have to give up Lorraine Heath latest releases anyway, if I read one more sticky, sweet story with a bit of drama sprinkled on top. What happened to the truly heartwrenching stories she used to write?
Syl
Jun 10, 2019 rated it liked it
The story idea in itself is good, but unfortunately it got very disappointing very quickly.
Too many things annoyed me, the first thing being the heroine giving her virginity without a second thought to an unwanted pregnancy. I've read this in too many historical romance novels and I cringe every time it happens in the first 5 chapters.
Another thing is the chemistry. I didn't feel it. Suddenly Mr. Swindler was dreaming of her and was having trouble not visiting her every day because he oh so mi
Insh
May 09, 2017 added it
“I thought you were a scoundrel.”

“One with a conscience it seems.”

“And if I don’t want you to have a conscience?”

“Then we are either headed toward heaven or doomed to hell.”
Megzy
Oct 31, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: victorian-era
The fourth in the series.

The series is inspired by Oliver Twist book and its cast of characters finding their individual ways and becoming respectable, at least some of them, as adults.

This is the story of James Swindler, a detective with Scotland Yard and the beloved son of Geoffrey Harrison a convicted thief who was hanged for stealing a gold watch!

I loved this book. The last two books were kind of a let down so I didn't expect much from this one. Boy was I wrong! I am not going to give the pl
Virginia
Dec 06, 2010 rated it liked it
The first half of the book was fun and quite the mystery - especially as we see both the female and male leads try and con the other. However, the last half just veers into the ridiculous and I got really annoyed. Plus, although this is a romance and I bet a lot of people want to read all the smexy parts, there were too many. (I know, I know. Can there be such a thing? If you're mostly reading these for the plot and setting, then, yes.) As a result, I skimmed a lot of the book. The only thing th ...more
Jenny E
Sep 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorite-couple
This was another great read from Lorraine Heath. Jeez she can plot a story like nobody's business! I thought the story was a little slow at the beginning, but honestly it was just setting up this really intricate plot that turned out to be fantastic once it all came together. Really enjoyable. I couldn't put it down.

I gave it four stars because of what ended up happening to Eleanor in the end was a little too convenient.

MS. HEATH YOU MUST GIVE US GRAVES' STORY NOWWWWWWW!!!!

It annoys the hell
Kelsey
Interesting, but flat. The characters were dull and the twist, while not something I saw coming, wasn't enough to make me like the book more.

A huge issue I had was with the format, and possibly editing. Viewpoints change in paragraphs, and when they doesn't happen, there's no indication the viewpoint is changing. Plus, we're not just dealing with the MCs. Every so often, a side character has a section too. It's very confusing.
Kate
Nov 27, 2018 rated it liked it
I really got into the mystery plot in this one and thought it was engaging and just nicely done. Just wish I got a bit more romance, to be honest?

Still, this was a solid installment in this series!
Malinda
4-4.5 stars

This was a really good story. I liked Eleanor and James and their story was very good with some and unexpected twists that kept me interested until the end.

Eleanor is a young woman with an agenda. Her parents have both died, leaving the family with little money. Eleanor's sister went to London to have a "season" and try to find a husband the year before but returned troubled and later killed herself. When Eleanor found out the reasons for her sister's actions she was determined to mak
Zoe
Oct 26, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think it is safe to say that I like Lorraine Heath's style. This book features her signature writing style and one of those twists that she does well. I think she likes to hide surprises for her readers. And I have not been so surprised by a book in a long while.

I think that is enough hint about what happened in the book. If I said anymore it would spoil the surprise. I was floored when I realized what was actually happening. Most definitely did not see that coming.

This book is about James S
Paraphrodite
May 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017, listened
3.5 stars.

I have to admit I didn't see the twist until it was pretty obvious. Good one, Ms Heath!

Ginger
Oct 06, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jacqueline J
Jan 31, 2010 rated it really liked it
I really liked this book although I couldn't get into an earlier one in the series. I liked that the hero was a normal man. So many historicals are about dukes. I thought the characters were very well developed. The author caught me by surprise twice which is very rare for me. So I enjoyed it. Also has a bit of pathos in the middle. The ending was a bit hurried.
Linds
I'm glad I didn't stop reading this, because it starts out as nothing special. The first few chapters are meh. Lorraine Heath puts in some very interesting twists and turns. I love my romances but they are usually fairly predictable. Not the case with this one.
Ash
Nov 03, 2014 rated it liked it
This had an interesting story line with a good plot twist, however I didn't really buy the romance which is why this gets only 3 stars
Μαρία Γεωργοπούλου
Reread and loved it again!
Jess
Jan 24, 2019 rated it did not like it
Disclaimer: I read some of this, and then I recoiled so far from the bombshell dropped at the halfway mark that it took me several weeks to recover and return. So I don't really remember the first half, but I recall thinking it was kind of cute and kind of stupid. The second half is almost completely stupid.

Honestly? What a colossal load of crap.

The Scoundrels of St. James series has been pretty inconsistent: book 1 was excellent, book 2 was fine, book 3 was fairly good. And book 4 was shit. I
Megan
Nov 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Scandal of the Year (Abandoned at the Altar, #2)
  • Always a Temptress (Drake's Rakes #3)
  • Ruthless Heart (Heart, #1)
  • Into the Light (Clear Water Creek Chronicles, #1)
  • Falling in Love Again (Of Dragons and Wolves #6)
  • McAlistair's Fortune  (Providence, #3)
  • One Night Is Never Enough (Secrets, #2)
  • The Pirate Hunter (Regency Pirates, #2)
  • Seduced By His Touch (The Byrons of Braebourne, #2)
  • Endless Midnight (Moonlight Breed #5)
  • Devoted Alpha (Twin Pines Grizzlies #4)
  • Surrender of a Siren (The Wanton Dairymaid Trilogy, #2)
  • Hidden Honor
  • To Wed a Wild Lord (Hellions of Halstead Hall, #4)
  • To Beguile a Beast (Legend of the Four Soldiers, #3)
  • In For A Penny (All In #1)
  • Bald Eagle (Zeus's Pack #7)
  • One Week As Lovers (Somerhart, #3)
Also writes Young Adult under Rachel Hawthorne, Jade Parker, and with her son as J.A. London)

Lorraine Heath has always had a soft spot for emotional love stories. No doubt because growing up, watching movies with her mom, she was taught that the best movies "won't half make you cry."

She is the daughter of a British beauty (her mom won second place in a beauty contest sponsored by Max Factor® durin

Scoundrels of St. James (5 books)
  • In Bed with the Devil (Scoundrels of St. James, #1)
  • Between the Devil and Desire (Scoundrels of St. James, #2)
  • Surrender to the Devil (Scoundrels of St. James, #3)
  • The Last Wicked Scoundrel (Scoundrels of St. James, #5)
“Claybourne grabbed his arm, stopping his forward movement. “Do we have a plan?”
“Get Emma out alive and I don’t care who the hell dies in the bloody process.” Breaking free of the hold, Swindler began running toward the gate.
“I do hope he’s not including us in the ‘who the hell dies’ arena,” he heard Greystone mutter.
“I wouldn’t be so sure if I were you,” Dodger responded. “I do believe the man’s in love.”
2 likes
“No woman in his history could compare to her. No woman in his future could replace her. She was what he wanted now, this moment and the next, and the one that followed that, each one that led to the end of his life. He would make it happen, by God. He would keep her with him. He didn't know how. He would lie, he would cheat, he would steal. If need be, he would murder. He'd confessed that she held his heart. He'd yet to tell her that she possessed his soul.

He'd deceived himself when he began this journey believing that he sought justice. All along all he'd sought was her.”
0 likes