Start by marking “Missing Mark (Riley Spartz, #2)” as Want to Read:
Missing Mark (Riley Spartz, #2)

Missing Mark

(Riley Spartz #2)

In this page-turning sequel to Stalking Susan, TV reporter Riley Spartz pursues a curious story of a bride left at the altar and finds herself caught in a dangerous missing-person case.

When Riley Spartz sees a want ad reading “Wedding Dress for Sale: Never Worn,” her news instincts tell her that the backstory might make an intriguing television sweeps piece.

The groom, Ma
Published July 14th 2009 by Doubleday

To ask other readers questions about Missing Mark, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Missing Mark

Start your review of Missing Mark (Riley Spartz, #2)
Christine
Oct 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own-on-shelf
4 stars

I had the pleasure of meeting Ms. Julie Kramer at a Minnesota crime writers panel held at my local library a week or two ago. I had read the first book in this series a few years ago and really enjoyed it. Julie had a stack of her books at the function so I took the opportunity to pick up a nice hardback copy of #2 in the series, Missing Mark. As an aside, I just want to mention that Ms. Kramer was very gracious in letting me take the book though I didn’t have the means to pay for it that
Michael
Aug 29, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2009, mystery
When investigative reporter Riley Sparkz see an ad in the paper for a never worn wedding dress, she decides there must be more to the story and begins an investigation.

Wealthy socialite Madeline was to marry down-and-out stand-up comic Mark three months after meeting him. But on the day of the nuptials, Mark didn't show up at the church and has vanished. Was it his ex-girlfriend or something more?

Meanwhile, the largest bass in the state of Minnesota is bass-napped by an animal rights group and
Sarah Madison
Dec 02, 2011 rated it liked it
Jean
Mar 04, 2014 rated it liked it
It’s sweeps month again, and when Riley Spartz comes across a newspaper ad that reads, “WEDDING DRESS, NEVER WORN," she knows she has the makings of a good story. What she doesn’t know is that Mark, the potential groom, has been missing for months. She is also asked to cover the story of a missing giant lake bass from Underwater Adventures at the Mall of America, where an animal rights supposedly has taken credit for the fish-napping, but this just smells rotten to Riley.

It has been months sinc
Jodi
Sep 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, 2018-read
The second Riley Spartz book had everything you could ask for in a good mystery. A great hook - missing groom - a bride with a fascinating genetic abnormality - and some really good interplay with prior characters. It worked beautifully. I figured it out about the same time that Riley did. She balanced the action well and I thought Riley's character growth was well done. If this had been the first book it would have been a killer. Mark was a stand-up comic. About average in height, weight, looks ...more
2 1/2 stars
Missing Mark is the second in a series about investigative reporter Riley Spartz. The first is Stalking Susan, which I have not read. Even though I didn't read the first one, I didn't feel as though I missed anything--anything pertinent to the story was recapped quickly.

The story was decent enough, but I felt like it missed in a few places. First, I kept figuring things out way before they were revealed. Maybe too many hints were given or just not enough red herrings to keep the reade
Sandie
Jul 05, 2009 rated it liked it
Missing Mark by Julie Kramer was not only an enjoyable read, it turned out to be an educational one as well. Prior to reading Kramer's book, I had never heard of an obscure disorder called Prosopagnosia, a neurological condition that renders a person incapable of recognizing faces (even those of family).

The story's protagonist, TV news journalist Riley Spartz, comes across as advertisement for the sale of a "WEDDING DRESS, NEVER WORN" and is intrigued. Feeling that this would be an ideal subjec
Jaime
Oct 12, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2011, mystery
I really enjoyed the first book in this series, Stalking Susan, so I had high hopes for this one. Thankfully, it delivered! Riley Spartz is nothing if not persistent. Sweeps are coming up again, and she’s under pressure, as usual. TV news is changing, and the chances of her ending up with a story as big as the last one are low. When the ad for a never worn wedding dress shows up in the paper, she hopes she can find a story there. Along the way we get to visit with some of our favorite characters ...more
Lisa
Jun 08, 2016 rated it liked it

Overall I enjoyed this book but a few story points were too contrived - stumbling upon dead bodies, the movie quotes, locating missing fish, etc. That being said, I'll still continue on with the series!
Emily
Not bad, but lost points for major predictability.
Jenna
Aug 02, 2019 rated it liked it

Another good one.
I like the riley spartz character. Glad for the return of Shep. I liked that character.
It started out w/an intriguing premise- a missing groom & an indifferent bride.
There were also a few other subplot/mysteries so I wondered if they were going to connect.

This one had more humor in it. (I did chuckle out loud a few times.)

The negative was that she focuses a lot on her dead husband.
While as a reader you understand & empathize with Riley, you do hope she’d meet someone
M. Sprouse
May 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020
I started on book three of this series. That book almost did me in from reading the rest of the Riley Spartz saga. I have gone back and now have read the first two in the collection. Let me tell you they're pretty darn good. I sometimes shy away from female authors (my apologies), but I believe most men will enjoy Julie Kramer's writing style. My wife is reading it now and thanked me for the suggestion.

"Missing Mark" like "Stalking Susan." is an amusing tale. It has some unusual but witty compo
Sue
Jun 14, 2018 rated it liked it
It should be a 3.5. This book gave you an insider's look at how some TV stations approach ratings and Sweeps Week. It also kept you guessing about who done it. The reason it wasn't a higher rating as I felt less connected to the main protagonist, tv reporter, Riley, as the book came to a close. I thought her disregard of others was not a particualraly attractive trait, and I didn't like how the characters suddenly reached the climax/end of the book. The plot was convoluted enough that it was fun ...more
Elisabeth
Dec 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
There’s something comforting about reading a series that takes place in a setting you are familiar with. Being a Minnesotan it’s nice to be able to picture the places the book is talking about! This is the second book in Julie Kramer’s Rylie Spartz series and I am hooked line and sinker (once you read the book you will understand the fish joke lol) I listened to the audio version and was completely drawn in from the beginning! Lots of red herrings and twists and turns that kept me up late into t ...more
darlene endres
Dec 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The goods on this book.

I have read both Riley Spartz book. The first was for a book club and I enjoyed it so much I was happy to pick this one up. This book was also very good. This author is funny and engaging. Her books are not necessarily suspenseful but you will find yourself wanting to know the outcome. I learned about a physical condition I had never heard of and had to read up on to, very interesting. Yes, I enjoyed both books by this author and look forward to the next one.
Dawn
Nov 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Faceless in a crowd

Riley reads an ad and starts to investigate the reason for the unused wedding dress. Also a prize fish is taken so Riley is working several stories. She is finding more trouble. Will read more in the series.
Rog Harrison
Jul 28, 2017 rated it liked it
This was an enjoyable read and I liked the character of TV journalist Riley Spartz. A decent mystery which was laced with humour and also some interesting facts.
Isla Scott
Pretty bland, not especially interesting. An alright read, nothing more.
TG Wolff
Jan 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this fun, high-spirited mystery. It was a great way to relax over the weekend.
Marylyn
Jan 20, 2018 rated it liked it
Really enjoyed it; didn’t know anything about prosopagnosis. The more I think about it, the worse it sounds!
Sandy
Feb 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Surprisingly a good read and would look for more in this series. Kept me interested so that hours went by without notice. Not something I would exclaim over but the best I’ve read all week.
Angie Benson
Mar 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was really an easy fun mystery read! Love her humor and was especially fun hearing facts about local towns in my area!
Caron
Jul 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is my new favorite mystery series. Riley's investigative reporting skills are again put to the test in this missing person case. ...more
erin delafosse
Aug 22, 2018 rated it liked it
‘This was the follow up to Seeking Susan with the great reporter Riley and May Sweeps at Channel 3. Noreen, Miles, Malik, and Toby join the story as Riley searches for Big Billy Bass and a missing groom. I love the characters and that Riley is a smart character. I dislike how predictable the villain is and Riley never sees it coming :(( very frustrating.
Anne Trinkle
Jan 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
I liked this book. It was entertaining and informational. It wasn’t the best written mystery but I still liked it.
Gretchen Stein
Oct 20, 2019 rated it liked it
#2 in the series, entertaining!
Kereen
Sep 15, 2020 rated it it was ok
I liked the beginning.
aprilla
Jan 22, 2021 rated it liked it
3.5 Still enjoying this series and looking forward to the next book, been a while since I said that.
Spuddie
Jul 26, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
#2 Riley Spartz 'amateur sleuth' mystery set in the Twin Cities of Minneapolis/St. Paul. Riley is an investigative television reporter trying to come up with an interesting story for the upcoming "sweeps week" when ratings are even more important than usual. Perusing the want ads in the newspaper, she sees an ad that piques her interest: "For Sale: Wedding dress, never worn."

Intrigued, she answers the ad on the pretense of wanting to buy the dress to learn why the bride-to-be never got to wear
Denise
Jun 09, 2010 rated it really liked it
4.0 out of 5 stars "For Sale: Wedding Dress. Never Worn.", June 26, 2009

This review is from: Missing Mark (Hardcover)

I had selected Missing Mark from Amazon Vine before I realized it was the second in a series so of course I had to get Stalking Susan and read it first. That's just an idiosyncrasy and even though it fleshes out the backstory of our intrepid heroine, Riley Spartz, it really isn't necessary to read it prior to enjoying this book. This sequel is just as well done as the debut.

Feat
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Marathon (Jonathan Stride #8)
  • Immoral (Jonathan Stride, #1)
  • Manitou Canyon (Cork O'Connor, #15)
  • Madman on a Drum (Mac McKenzie, #5)
  • The Cold Nowhere (Jonathan Stride #6)
  • Dead Boyfriends (Mac McKenzie, #4)
  • In the Dark (Jonathan Stride #4)
  • Jelly's Gold (Mac McKenzie, #6)
  • Secret Lives of the U.S. Presidents
  • Funeral for a Friend (Jonathan Stride #10)
  • The Christopher Killer (Forensic Mysteries, #1)
  • Death in an English Cottage (Murder on Location #2)
  • Alter Ego (Jonathan Stride #9)
  • Ladies in Waiting: From the Tudors to the Present Day
  • 52 Little Lessons from A Christmas Carol
  • Death in a Stately Home (Murder on Location #3)
  • Breathe Your Last (Detective Josie Quinn, #10)
  • Hate Mail from Cheerleaders: And Other Adventures from the Life of Reilly
Julie Kramer has moved from journalist to novelist. She writes a mystery series set in the desperate world of television news—a world she knows well from her career working as a freelance news producer for NBC and CBS, as well as running the acclaimed WCCO-TV I-Team in Minneapolis.

Her thrillers, STALKING SUSAN, MISSING MARK, SILENCING SAM, KILLING KATE, SHUNNING SARAH and soon to come - DELIVERING

Riley Spartz (6 books)
  • Stalking Susan (Riley Spartz, #1)
  • Silencing Sam (Riley Spartz, #3)
  • Killing Kate (Riley Spartz, #4)
  • Shunning Sarah (Riley Spartz, #5)
  • Delivering Death: A Novel (Riley Spartz, #6)

News & Interviews