Jump to ratings and reviews
The forecast was smooth sailing for Oliver Chancellor, scion of Galveston's premier financier. Destine to take his place in the hallowed marble corridors of his family's bank, Chance is content with the future that's been mapped out for him, right down to his upcoming engagement to a prim debutante enthusiastically approved by his socialite mother.
But when beautiful Rory St. Claire crosses his path, Chance recklessly plunges into unchartered terrirory with nothing but his heart to guide him--and a beautiful woman to tempt him...
Propelled by a lifelong goal to but the island home reportedly haunted by her colorful ancestors, Rory desperately needs Chance's help in securing a business loan, and she won't take no for an answer. In the midst of convincing the hesitant blueblood to take a chance on her dream, Rory unexpectedly lands in Chance's arms, stunned by his red-blooded passion--and her own awakened desire. Now, the mismatched pair can't keep their hands off one another, and something tells Rory she's headed for trouble--trouble in the name of love...

325 pages, Paperback

First published April 15, 2002

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Julie Ortolon

23 books547 followers
Most authors will tell you they've been writing and reading since childhood. Not me. I hated reading and never imagined I'd someday be a writer. Of course, the fact that I have dyslexia probably has a tiny bit to do with my aversion to the written word.

Nonetheless, I had a very active imagination and spent most of my school years staring out the window dreaming up stories. When I finally escaped the torture of public school, I attended Schreiner College in the Texas Hill Country. Schreiner specializes in programs for students with learning disabilities. With the help of a school administrator, who was willing to type out one of my short stories, I entered a writing contest—won first place!

That was when I started longing for a way to get the other stories that were in my head down on paper. But the act of writing longhand, when I couldn't spell, could barely read, and knew zip about punctuation, proved impossible.

So, I became an artist instead—and was perfectly happy.

Then came the day my journalist husband brought home a computer, and I discovered the wonders of "spell check." I cannot describe how I felt in that moment. That computer was like a magic box—a gateway into a world where anything was possible. I spend every spare minute teaching myself to type, read, punctuate, and somehow get my stories out of my head and onto that glowing white screen.

Ten years, and five complete manuscripts later, I had another magical moment—the day I sold my first book. When I got the news I screamed and cried and made a perfectly ecstatic fool of myself.

The journey to becoming a published author was long and hard, but writing is the most thrilling thing I've ever done.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
200 (6%)
1 star
69 (2%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 152 reviews
Profile Image for Nicole.
20 reviews
April 6, 2012
This book was amazing. I was left speechless when I finished reading. The romantic love story between Rory and Chance is just heart wrenching, which makes the story even more powerful. Every page wills you to read on with the dramatic plot and the characters that come to life.

Rory, or Aurora as Chance calls her, is a St Claire, descending from Marguerite Bouchard, Henri LeRoche's estranged wife. Rory, like me, is a hopeless romantic and very optimistic about everything she does. So when she sees the Pearl Island mansion going up for sale, she jumps at the chance to claim back what was rightfully her family's. Having trouble with coming up with a business plan, Rory asks her older brother's friend from school, Oliver Chancellor (or Chance), to help her since he is a banker.

As they work on the business plan together, the heat and attraction rises between them and a romantic affair begins between them. But there is a problem. Chance comes from the high society of Galveston, where his future has already been chosen, including his wife - Paige, whom he considers a sister. Rory becomes cautious of Paige, but as she gets closer to Rory's sister, it becomes inevitable for Rory to avoid Paige. Also, Chance starts to feel uncomfortable working in the inn, around both Rory and Paige. When Rory finds out she is pregnant with Chance's baby, she puts off telling him so that he can marry her because her loves her, not out of obligation. With tension rising between Rory and Chance and the grand opening of the inn getting closer. Rory needs to find a way to tell Chance she is pregnant and Chance needs to express his love to Rory, and break off the engagement with Paige.

Even though the ending is predictable, it is still a good read, with many funny parts and dramatic hooks. I'm really looking forward to whats in store in the next two books.
Profile Image for Jennifer.
82 reviews1 follower
January 22, 2010
I should never have checked this book out from the library when I read the following back description, "...Chance is content with the future that's been mapped out for him, right down to his upcoming engagement to a prim debutante enthusiastically approved by his socialite mother...". I couldn't get past the second chapter when we see that Chance is expecting to engage himself to a woman that he hasn't even been tempted to kiss. Not the type of wish-washy guy I want to read about in a romance.
Profile Image for Cindy (BKind2Books).
1,476 reviews29 followers
September 30, 2019
This was a cute, mindless romance - but be prepared to suspend disbelief on a few items. I really liked the opposites attract romance between Chance - whose life is anything but left to chance - and Aurora/Rory. Rory is very much a free spirit. When she finds Chance, a banker, hammering in a sale sign on a foreclosure and that foreclosure is an ancestor’s home with a bit of local lore and a ghost to boot, well, she talks her two siblings into buying it and turning it into a B&B. Chance is talked into assisting in the venture and becomes taken with Rory. Why the disbelief? Well this story - written well into the 21st century - features a heroine who hasn’t apparently heard of the wonders of computers and spellcheck. The hero is practically engaged to a woman (not Rory) that he’s never even kissed. I mean, c’mon....this is a little hard to swallow. But overall, it was cute and fun.
Profile Image for Joan.
2,193 reviews
Read
September 3, 2019
My updates:
32.0% "It beggars belief that in this world a woman in a first world country can reach her late twenties without being able to use a computer or know what they are capable of doing. This is just stupid."

50.0% "The structure seems wrong somehow. The events don’t have enough impact to keep me engaged and I feel at this point I should be near the end of the story with the big reveal/climax just around the corner. Its disappointing really."

DNF at 50% Could (Should) have been much better.
Profile Image for Jacob Proffitt.
2,853 reviews1,491 followers
March 11, 2012
I really like Julie Ortolon's characters—they're engaging with a natural mix of strengths and weaknesses. Even better, the relationships are generally a good illustration of complementary personalities where each person brings strengths the other needs. This was particularly evident with Rory and Chance. Rory is passionate and driven. She knows what she wants and is happy pulling others along. But she gets into trouble when she hares off without checking for available resources or scoping out potential land mines that may blow her plans out of the water early. Chance is careful and studied with a well-proven ability to make and achieve long-term plans. But he gets into a rut and doesn't take the time or opportuntiy to adjust his plans to new developments. Together, they make a formidable team with Rory able to work around unexpected roadblocks that would destroy most plans and Chance able to make sure that all their ducks are lined up and none of the obvious impediments can stand in their way. Working together to build the B&B of Rory's dreams was a really fun story to read.

Ortolon also transmits her love of the settings her characters inhabit. In this case I came to appreciate Galveston, Texas in a way I hadn't expected. The vivid picture of a gulf-side one-time pirate haven with a history of devastation by storms made me want to visit someday, even if Pearl Island doesn't actually exist...
Profile Image for Jackie.
188 reviews54 followers
March 4, 2012
Why do I do this to myself? Ortolon was one of the first romance authors I read when I got my Kindle, thus, one of the first romance authors I read as well. I was disappointed with this one. The big conflict is resolved without much fuss and it's straight to the highly unrealistic happy ending. The reader doesn't even get to see the final product that the book revolves around. The novel also suffers from the instant love problem that plagues many romances. Building up romantic tension is way more exciting than the actual thing in most cases and the two leads gave in much too quickly. The entire premise is too fairy tale for me. And what's with genetics and romances? Here's a crash course in dominant genes: dark hair is dominant. If a dark haired person has a child with a blond or red-headed person, it is very likely that the child will *not* be blond or red-headed. Brown eyes also win out over blue eyes. So why is Rory red-headed while her sister has black hair and blue eyes? Because they defy biology! Just a common theme I have seen in this genre.
Profile Image for ❀ ℓu-ℓu-ℓuna ❀.
89 reviews22 followers
October 1, 2011
This is a different than usual story wherein nerdy guy meets hot chick and that's what makes it all the more lovable!

Story goes...Oliver Chancellor helps Rory St. Claire in a hare-brained (not really) attempt to make profit out of their ancestral house given to them by their superstar aunt. But with all the struggles from outside forces wanting to wrench them apart, love still bloomed eternal and it didn't hurt that a certain ghost is trying to help things along...

My thoughts...I love how the story is set with a plot surrounding a curse. It makes the story not only contemporary romance but with a delicious fantasy flavor that really set off the series with an interesting start!
Profile Image for Dragana.
1,558 reviews143 followers
March 29, 2013
This had a premise and idea to be a very good contemporary romance, sadly it failed on execution. The most of the book felt boring and unemotional to me. It's sad because I was looking forward to reading it. I expected:
- beautiful descriptions of environment (after all heroine is working as a tour guide)
- fun and interesting renovation process of the old house (I usually love this kind of plots/events)
- starchy proper hero getting unraveled by the heroine
- forbidden romance full of emotion
But as I said, I didn't get any of this. The idea was there but... it was boring, I was not interested. I yawned and thought 'No wonder it was a Kindle freebie'...
Profile Image for Agnes.
35 reviews
January 19, 2013
Ideally, I would give this book 2.5 stars. I really wanted to like this book. And I did like the story line and enjoyed that part. I felt like some of the conversations between the characters just were not realistic and could not happen. I also thought that some parts were over done while others did not have enough content.
Profile Image for Cassie Leach.
168 reviews2 followers
July 17, 2012
About 100 pages in I was like, Wow! This is gonna be a great book! ....and then they slept together....and then she turned into a 15 year old girl and got SUPER annoying. Wth. I had to force myself to finish this book. She treated everything as a child in love would. It seriously made me dislike her to a point where I felt disgusted.
Profile Image for Erin.
450 reviews50 followers
May 15, 2011
I liked this enough I'm reading the entire series. I definitely want to visit Galveston after her many descriptions of the island.
Profile Image for Carina.
1,307 reviews1 follower
November 28, 2020
I decided to re-read this book simply because I am.. 10 books behind schedule on my 2020 GR Reading Challenge, and I know I can get through each book in this series in a couple of hours which will help me make up ground. I decided to re-read the Pearl Island Trilogy rather than the ... Perfect? trilogy which I discovered first originally, because I know I prefer the Perfect trilogy to this and had therefore not read it as often. Turns out, I have apparently read this twice before - which, ok. I didn't remember a whole lot and what I did relates to one of the next books ().

I do agree with my 2014 review of this book in some ways. The hint about Ally in the epilogue does feel out of character, and Chance is quite realistic from the get go. But I think I might know why I originally gave this book 2 stars - it just isn't *that* great, not really...

Rory is incredibly naive and whilst I did find her likable at times she was just so *young*. Off all the chick-lit books I have read I think she must be either one of the youngest leads or one who acted the youngest. She really does look at the world through rose tinted glasses which... does go with her always sunny character but it also came off as stupid given the plot. I did, however, on this occasion appreciate that the author dipped her toe into mental health issues. It's rare, at least in the chick-lit I read, for the characters to suffer from poor mental health - so having Rory have panic attacks (and have them triggered in believable ways!) was refreshing in a way. Also, and whilst I have no experience with this it seemed realistic from the bits I do know, having Rory discover that a computer can assist her with her dyslexia was a nice element.

The other element that means I gave this two stars is the somewhat overused plot elements - unprotected sex, one time and oh shock horror, baby happens. Now I know in real life that can happen, but honestly it is such an overused trope in chick-lit it automatically makes me roll my eyes (not only can you usually see this plot element coming a mile off as soon as the female feels sick, but surely there is some other element you could use rather than a baby to draw people together?!).

Ignoring the relationship between Chance and Rory, I liked the plot - whilst I have a limited understanding of the politics of Galveston this seems to tally (old money and an old local lineage speak volumes) - but I didn't like the way that Paige's 'new blood' family seemed to covet signs of having fought for the South. I know that this is an element in a number of books set in the Southern US States (see Charlaine Harris' Sookie Stackhouse books), but at least on this read through I found it uncomfortable. It might be realistic, but it still seemed to glorify the ideals of the South which... aren't idealistic at all.

The ghostly elements of the story were well used, assuming my 2014 review is correct these play a bigger role in the next books, but I liked how little it was used, and when it was it played up the haunted angle rather than this being a fantastical work.

I'll obviously read on as I need to catch up with my reading, but I don't *think* this is a series I'd return to again - if I remember how eh I feel about it now anyways!

Profile Image for Kim.
1,484 reviews9 followers
September 1, 2019
A lot about folk lore

This story is revolved around a stately mansion that housed an ancestor that died in the home. Her daughter should have inherited the home but it was passed down threw the males in the family so a LaRouche would continue to own it. When a descendant sees a foreclosure sign being put up she comes up with a plan to buy it. She is not good with numbers or paperwork and Chance offers his help. Chance is from old money with high expectations about every aspect of his life. He has also allowed them to lead is decisions but when he starts help Aurora, he has to rethink his life and what he wants. The characters are likable and the plot is good. The story sweeps you away and you follow this couple threw multiple twists and turns. Thankfully it also has an epilogue. Well worth reading.
Profile Image for Nalini Warriar.
Author 16 books44 followers
August 29, 2019
A Forgettable Read.
A fast, quick read and I couldn’t remember what it was about or even name the characters. I want a book to leave a lasting impression. I want the characters to stay with me for a while. It has a nice setting though. I liked the idea of turning a dump into a fabulous B&B. But couldn’t reconcile with how a supposedly strong man like Chance refused to stand up to his father. And stringing along the ‘She’s suitable and her family is too’ line is too quaint in this setting.
Falling for You is predictable. It only took Ortolon 378 pages to get through it. However, Ortolon does have a way with words so I will be reading her other works.
305 reviews1 follower
August 20, 2019
A pirate and a lady

Went awry as a love story love lost fortune lost life lost but generations later a society gentleman and a descendant of the lady find chemistry deny it and then regain it
the lost island home is recovered by the descendants of the lady lost and believe it I spite of the impossible look of success all became righted
41 reviews1 follower
September 4, 2019
Loved It

When you're searching for something to read and your interest is snagged from the start by an unknown author, keep reading. I love books where I love the heroine and can understand her situation. I will be reading more books by this author, the rest of this series for sure of which I unknowingly already have another.⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐☺
Profile Image for Purple Iris.
1,083 reviews4 followers
February 10, 2018
2.5

The characters all act way younger than they are. The Sons of the Confederacy stuff was so weird and foreign to me. Is it really that serious? Oh, and the whole dyslexia thing was way over the top.
Profile Image for Jen Pezzotti.
325 reviews4 followers
April 4, 2018
3 1/2 stars. I found Rory a bit annoying. I wish there was a story for Paige and Bobby I found the bits about them more interesting. But it was a cute story - looking forward to reading Allison and Adrian’s stories.
54 reviews
August 26, 2019
A review of Falling For You

This was a very well written and entertaining book. I enjoyed it very much and recommend it to anyone that like love stories with HEA endings without too much erotica.

JG
175 reviews1 follower
November 2, 2019
Falling for You

What a wonderful story! You will fall in love with the characters. You will have a rollercoaster ride of emotions as you read to the end. I loved the twists and turns that kept me reading constantly as I could NOT put this book down!
Profile Image for Lauren.
99 reviews14 followers
June 25, 2021
This is undoubtedly one of the worst books I've ever read. Fortunately, it was hilarious in its awfulness. I enjoyed reading the more absurdly over-the-top bits to my husband and we'd both die laughing, so I gave this 1.5 stars instead of 1.

All in all, do not recommend.
Profile Image for Carol Sandford.
696 reviews10 followers
September 21, 2017
The best was the arrival of the ship. the rest was a sappy and sloppy love story that quite frankly I wish I'd abandoned on page one.
Profile Image for Joann.
1,841 reviews
August 10, 2018
A little hard to follow at times but it was a overall good read
Profile Image for Cary.
1,863 reviews
January 20, 2019
Felt it was bit contrived but the characters were nice.
Profile Image for Kay Hawkins.
Author 11 books32 followers
July 25, 2019
Another confusing all over the place story found it hard to get through.
146 reviews2 followers
August 16, 2019
Perfect!

I love the story line with its own way of telling a wonderful historic adventure! I read it in a day because I couldn't put
it down.
6 reviews
August 20, 2019
What a lovely story!

I really loved the way the characters came to life. Julie Ortolon definitely has a way with words and I enjoyed this story
August 21, 2019
Quick, fun read!

I enjoyed everything about this story, especially the location and the touch of the supernatural. Can't wait for Allison's story.
908 reviews1 follower
August 22, 2019
Loved it

Superb book great story well told and a great cast of characters thoroughly enjoyed reading this book. Booked from the start couldn't put it down
Displaying 1 - 30 of 152 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.