Start by marking “The Backpacker's Field Manual, Revised and Updated: A Comprehensive Guide to Mastering Backcountry Skills” as Want to Read:

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating details ·  484 Ratings  ·  28 Reviews
When it was first published in 1998, The Backpacker's Field Manual set the standard for comprehensive backpacking books. Now exhaustively updated to offer a more complete view of backpacking today, it covers the latest developments in gear—such as Global Positioning Systems and ultralight hiking equipment—first aid, and Leave No Trace comping, and includes a chapter devote ...more
Published May 24th 2005 by Three Rivers Press (first published February 24th 1998)

Be the first to ask a question about The Backpacker's Field Manual, Revised and Updated

Meredith
Jun 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
*Addendum* Now I truly have finished the book. It's an e-book and it did a crazy thing where I managed to skip a big chunk of the middle section, and so I went back and read it. I wouldn't change my opinion of the book, except to say that it's actually more comprehensive than I originally thought.
This is a good guide to backcountry hiking and camping, with a lot of information and tips for survival and minimal-impact life in the wilderness. I am not an expert on this subject, so it gave me my m
Christopher
Apr 03, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In the early 1970s, Princeton University launched a program where incoming freshmen would hike together in the wilderness to get to know each other before classes started. This quickly became popular among American universities, and over the years a large body of collective experience arose. THE BACKPACKER'S FIELD MANUAL was conceived as a compendium of advice for guides leading hikers through America's state and national parks. It was written by Rick Curtis, director of Princeton's program for ...more
Chris
Dec 15, 2011 rated it really liked it
About as expected: a field guide on all of the ins and outs of backpacking, and really goes from soup-to-nuts on the process: from preparing and packing, through equipment descriptions and travel, all the way through first aid, and even a bit on outdoor leadership. Solid guide. After hiking and camping for several years, I still found some useful parts here, tricks on the trail, a remind of what the heck declination is anyway, that sort of stuff.

The read was pretty dry and straight forward, and
Stephen
May 09, 2017 rated it liked it
Good overview of backpacking but not something I think would be worth the weight to carry out into the field, so I'm not sure I'd really agree with the "Field Manual" title. Much of the first half of the book is preparation, equipment etc.
Liz
Jan 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Everything you could ever want to know about backpacking, from the merits of different types of clothing materials, to how to read several different kinds of maps, to emergency medical care.
Justin
Jan 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Above average (yet not the best) survival book. It has a rather large/nice section on first aid
Todd Benkert
Aug 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book provides a comprehensive introduction to backpacking and covers both preparation and the skills needed for wilderness hiking and camping. The book is topically arranged and easy to navigate. Throughout the book, it refers back to other sections to provide a handy reference for field use. The manual includes helpful information on safety and an extensive section on first aid and emergency care. The book prepares the reader for the various things one might experience in the back country ...more
Josh Davis
Sep 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
An absolutely excellent book on the basics of backpacking and being outdoors.

Each section was copiously detailed with the general knowledge and more in depth knowledge where needed. The author provided many tertiary resources to continue the learning.

In particular, I loved the middle of the book the most. This included the Leave No Trace chapter, Wilderness Travel chapter, and the Weather chapter. I learned the most from them as I was the most ignorant in those areas.

I highly recommend this book
Dec 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
Nice guide for backpackers. I am new to backpacking and camping and this book is a good reference guide of what i need to know. The book covers skills on all of the basics - picking out your gear/equipment, nutrition, navigation, weather, first aid, etc, etc. I will be adding this book to my pack until i am no longer a newbie.
Sean Banks
Jul 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Extremely useful backpacking/camping/wilderness survival book. Small enough to be taken with you when go hiking, but you'll need to keep it from getting wet obviously. Very comprehensive section on wilderness emergencies and injury treatment that was quite useful on a recent wilderness survival course.
K.C. Shaw
Mar 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: not-owned, outdoors
While the book is pretty thorough, I was disappointed that it didn't cover hot-weather backpacking in more detail. There's a lot of emphasis on winter backpacking (which is reasonable since there's so much that's different from typical three-season trips), but high temperature/high humidity trips are only covered in a line or two here and there. Otherwise, this is a great resource.
Reuel
Mar 29, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent backpacking and outdoors skills info by the man who developed Princeton University's outdoor education program (the backpacking freshman orientation week before starting college there. His program became a national model for other colleges.)
Josh Skogman
Jan 24, 2016 rated it liked it
Good reference book. I would recommend for anyone thinking about taking their first backpacking trip. The book covers all the major topics for backpacking. The section on first aid could have been more concise, but would rather have a thorough book than one without any detail.
Dex
Jan 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
Great book for first time backpackers. One may possibly move away from glamping into camping.
Bria
Aug 01, 2011 added it
Shelves: 2009
Wouldn't have known where to even start my first long distance hike without the knowledge I gleaned from this book. Terrific source and written in a way that makes it not so textbook like and boring.
Jamey
Aug 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Great guide to responsible, safe hiking.
Clyph Harrison
Jun 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: bushcraft
Good information, this book had something for the new and the experienced to learn.
Cathy
Aug 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Very useful information in a well-laid-out format.
Chance Olesak
Feb 28, 2014 rated it liked it
Valuable and chalk full of knowledge for any camper/backpacker from beginner on up throigh advanced. A must have for any backpacker!
James Murphy
Dec 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: outdoors
Great refresher
Shannon
Aug 08, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
thorough review of backpacking skills. another essential for first time backpackers.
Erica
Jul 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
Wowza. So much information! Really a reference book, not something to read straight thru.
Charles
Great resource for novice and experienced backpackers. An essential reference for the outdoor enthusiast's bookshelf.
Carissa
Feb 23, 2010 rated it really liked it
Really good skills/basics for camping/backpacking. As I want to camp more often, and have zero skills in the realm this book will be my main resource.
Carl
Apr 04, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: finished-reading
Pretty good... Filled with info for anyone preparing a trip "Into The Wild..."
Npilolli
Oct 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Npilolli by: Brittany DeLuke
Great book!!! So much useful info!! Will probably end up reading it over again!!
Pam
  • Long-Distance Hiking: Lessons from the Appalachian Trail
  • Be Expert with Map and Compass: The Complete Orienteering Handbook
  • Heft on Wheels: A Field Guide to Doing a 180
  • Beyond Backpacking: Ray Jardine's Guide to Lightweight Hiking
  • SAS Survival Handbook: How to Survive in the Wild, in Any Climate, on Land or at Sea
  • The Ultimate Hiker's Gear Guide: Tools and Techniques to Hit the Trail
  • Effective Cycling
  • Outdoor Survival Skills
  • The Bicycling Guide to Complete Bicycle Maintenance and Repair: For Road and Mountain Bikes
  • Fieldbook
  • Backpack Gourmet: Good Hot Grub You Can Make at Home, Dehydrate, and Pack for Quick, Easy, and Healthy Eating on the Trail
  • Tom Brown's Field Guide to Living with the Earth
  • The Amateur Naturalist
  • Nature Noir: A Park Ranger's Patrol in the Sierra
  • Nature and Other Essays
  • On the Beaten Path: An Appalachian Pilgrimage

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »

$7.74 $1.99
  • The Autobiography of Malcolm X
    $7.99 $1.99
    $4.99 $1.99
  • All Over But the Shoutin'
    $11.99 $2.99