Start by marking “Prairie School” as Want to Read:
Prairie School

Prairie School

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating details ·  396 Ratings  ·  29 Reviews
Reading the prairieIt's the 1880s, Noah works hard on the family farm and roams free on the Colorado prairie. One day his Aunt Dora arrives to give him some schooling. Noah doesn't think he needs it. What use is reading on the prairie? But what Noah discovers will change his life forever.
Published July 1st 2003 by HarperCollins (first published April 10th 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Prairie School, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Prairie School

Dustin Crazy little brown owl
Crystal Lough
Nov 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Prairie School was a historical ficiton book. This book is targeted for primary aged children. The book is about a boy named Noah and his family who moved to Colorado from Maine to live on a prairie. Noah helped his dad with all of the chores on the land. He truly enjoyed living out there and did not mind the work. He was happy until the day his mother and father explained that his aunt was coming to live with them to school him. She arrived and Noah nearly refused to follow her directions. He a ...more
Trace
Jan 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Luke's review: This book was about a 9 year old who learns to become a good reader and writer. His Aunt Dora teaches him in the prairie and he becomes a better reader and writer than his parents. I love that he is a boy that loves books, just like me and my momma!

Momma's note: I loved this book as much as Luke did! He was excited to see a picture of a McGuffey reader - the same books that we're reading! I find that often early chapter books are very light on content and substance (aka fluff!) bu
Rosa Cline
Nov 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids, back-to-school
This is "An I Can Read" Chapter Book. Although it's a chapter book the sentences and words are still smaller for beginning chapter book readers.

A little boy doesn't see the reason why he should 'go to school'. That he wants to be like his parents and living on the prairie is good enough for them so it should be for him too. His aunt comes to visit and she's confined to a wheelchair she tries to teach him for sevarel days then almost gives up. But then she has him take her outdoors where he seem
Canadian Reader
A nice beginning reader about newly settled prairie boy, Noah, who sees no use for learning to read from his disabled Aunt Dora...until she has the fresh idea of teaching him right out on the prairie. Dora uses the boy's natural curiosity about his new environment to stimulate his interest in reading. Learning to read helps Noah read the prairie. His reading makes sense within the context of his life. Avi's book has a great message that emerges naturally out of his story; it is not moralisticall ...more
Linda Branich
Dec 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s
This is An I Can Read Advanced Reader Level 4 book that lives up to its claim.

In the early 1880's, 9-year-old Noah's family moved from their overworked farm in Maine to the plains of Colorado, where they built a soddy and started over. Noah fell in love with his prairie and rebelled when his wheelchair-bound aunt came to teach him. Aunt Dora must become quite resourceful in order to teach her nephew. Will she succeed?

This is an excellent book for reluctant learners, filled with beautiful illust
Weisser
Sep 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
This is a simple, straight-forward book about what life may have been like on the prairie in the late 1800s. I used this book to introduce students to historical fiction, clothing styles, speech, culture, geography, and to increase their vocabulary. This book is about a young boy living in the 1880's Colorado prairie and having to learn to read, which he is not happy about. My students had many questions about why his parents could not read or write and why it was such a bit deal "back then" to ...more
Betsy
I like the idea of this book a lot. I think it may be hard to get some kids "into" it... it's a little slow. That being said, there aren't many historical fiction easy readers, and this is a great introduction to life on the prairie in the 1880s. And, it pushes reading! The second half of the book is much better than the first.
Rebecca Hill
Jun 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Cute little story about a boy on the prairie who must learn to read, but finds every reason in the world not to! As he learns more about his letters and words, the world begins to open up for him.

I cannot wait to introduce my boys to this book! Hopefully this will jog my youngest son into wanting to learn to read!
Tanesha
Dec 30, 2015 marked it as home-library
A cute story about the power of education. Also refers to a poem by longfellow, which was fun to look up and learn more about the poem. It is a powerful poem like his father says. Would be a good tool to learn more about life in 1880 or poetry.
Apr 20, 2011 rated it liked it
I liked this book. I think it gave the reader a good taste of what it was like in the 1880's. It is also a book that promotes educationa and reading. It helps children realize that reading used to not be something that everyone learned.
Clara
Sep 07, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sweet story and easy reader about how a boy has a change of heart about learning to read.
Elanor
Feb 21, 2015 added it
All by herself!
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
A boy is finally persuaded to allow his crippled aunt to teach him to read.
Janine Weston
Booklegger Fall K/1 program.
Alexis
Jun 01, 2011 added it
Shelves: ar
AR test completed.
Carrie Dalby
Lowest level book I've read by Avi. Well done, but I personally prefer his books for older readers.
Ashley
Jan 25, 2011 rated it really liked it
"Dear Aunt Dora, I live on the prairie, but I can read the whole world. Your loving nephew, Noah."

How come children books have so much truth to them?!

I love this book :o)
Michael Fitzgerald
Did no one know about Prairie School?
Rebecca
Aug 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
What use is there in learning how to read on the prairie? A young boy finds out in this nice little reader.
Misty Newsome
Feb 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Read with Anna 2/15
Junessa
Feb 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
Easy to read with wonderful pictures.
Shannon
May 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013
Pretty darned robust for an early chapter book. Definitely would work well paired with THAT BOOK WOMAN.
Kimberly
Jul 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is a beautifully told story with a great historical background. Easy to read and geared for young readers, but I must admit that I enjoyed it as much as my kids did.
Diane
Feb 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
I like Avi. And this book.
It gives the reader an idea how important the gift of reading is. You take it from there!
Avery
Mar 10, 2015
  • The Long Way to a New Land
  • Clara and the Bookwagon
  • Riding the Pony Express
  • Third-Grade Detectives #1-2: The Clue of the Left-Handed Envelope & The Puzzle of the Pretty Pink Handkerchief
  • Keep the Lights Burning, Abbie (On My Own History)
  • Tornado
  • Tales of Robin Hood
  • The Big Balloon Race
  • Lumber Camp Library
  • Pompeii...Buried Alive!
Avi is a pen name for Edward Irving Wortis, but he says, "The fact is, Avi is the only name I use." Born in 1937, Avi has created many fictional favorites such as The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle, Nothing but the Truth, and the Crispin series. His work is popular among readers young and old.
More about Avi...