Start by marking “كل شيء هادئ في الميدان الغربي” as Want to Read:
كل شيء هادئ في الميدان الغربي

كل شيء هادئ في الميدان الغربي

(All Quiet on the Western Front/The Road Back #1)

3.97  ·  Rating details ·  339,233 ratings  ·  9,674 reviews
رواية
Published April 25th 1970 by روايات الجيب (first published November 10th 1928)

Gerhard Venter I think this is where the phrase "lost generation" originated. A 19-year-old became a veteran soldier if he could survive the first couple of weeks in…moreI think this is where the phrase "lost generation" originated. A 19-year-old became a veteran soldier if he could survive the first couple of weeks in the trenches. This is not a rabid anti-war leaflet, but rather a description of how the hell of shelling, hunger, cold, rats, etc. changed a whole generation's lives and hollowed them out, so they became unable to feel or hope for anything after the war. A wounded kid did not know how to ask a female nurse to go to pee, because he didn't know how to speak civilly anymore … just read it!(less)

·  339,233 ratings  ·  9,674 reviews

Start your review of كل شيء هادئ في الميدان الغربي
Maureen
Dec 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
There are already thousands of reviews for this deeply moving and heartbreaking book here on Goodreads, and I don't know that I could add anything new. It simply broke my heart. However I do feel really strongly that I should describe the vivid imagery that I'm left with.

Bright red poppies in bloodied fields
Where death stalked its victims.
It cared not for age, creed, or nationality

What would they have achieved in life,
These young men, with so much yet to experience,
So many dreams to
Daniel
Jul 20, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Daniel by: Rose
Shelves: 2009
I don't know why it took me so long to get to "All Quiet on the Western Front," but I'm glad I finally read it and am grateful to my friend Rose for recommending it. The book, first published in the late 1920s, is an absolutely heartbreaking, wonderfully written novel about the permanent damage done to those who fight in wars. Few anti-war novels written since have matched Erich Maria Remarque's unsettling book, and I doubt any have surpassed it.

Given how famous "All Quiet" is, there's little
Warwick

Man, I need a break. I've been reading about the First World War solidly since December and I've had enough now. There's only so many times you can go through the same shit, whether they're English, French, German, Russian – oh look, another group of pals from school, eagerly jogging down to the war office to sign up. Brilliant. Now it's just a matter of guessing which horrible death will be assigned to them: shrapnel to the stomach, bleeding to death in no-man's-land, drowning in mud,
Lyn
Jan 27, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The greatest war novel?

Maybe.

This was one of the first books that made me think that even though I wanted to be a writer someday, maybe I did not have what it takes.

This was a sharp, swift kick in the gut; a none too subtle reminder that there are somber, very real and poignant moments captured in literature that escape petty categorization and cynicism, there are real moments that cannot be trivialized and placed on a genre specific bookshelf.

Powerful.

** 2018 - This book, as a war novel, is
Candi
"It’s unendurable. It is the moaning of the world, it is the martyred creation, wild with anguish, filled with terror, and groaning."

This slim novel about the horror of the World War I trenches and the senselessness of war was published in 1929. If you open this book up today, it is absolutely just as relevant now as it was decades ago. It is powerful and breathtaking. I finished my second reading of this last month and barely a day goes by without me thinking about it. I had read “All Quiet”
Ahmad Sharabiani
667. Im Westen nichts Neues = A l'ouest rien de novreau = All Quiet on The Western Front = In the West Nothing New, Erich Maria Remarque (1898 - 1970)
All Quiet on the Western Front is a novel by Erich Maria Remarque, a German veteran of World War I. The book describes the German soldiers' extreme physical and mental stress during the war, and the detachment from civilian life felt by many of these soldiers upon returning home from the front.

عنوانها: در جبهه غرب خبری نیست؛ در عرب خبری نیست؛
Duane
It has to be the defining novel of World War I, told from the point of view of a German soldier fighting in the trenches of France. This is not a novel of romance, intrigue, and adventure; it is a stark and frightingly realistic description of what it must have been like trying to survive from one day to the next, and almost always failing. Difficult and disturbing to read, it nevertheless is a narrative of how war is horrible, and hopefully why the telling of it may help deter future wars.
Lisa
I was finishing a phase of reading and teaching facets of the First World War, and it would not be complete without this fictitious, but realistic portrait of a soldier's life in the trenches on the Western front...

I was reading excerpts from "All Quiet On The Western Front" in class, with students staring at me, some of them understanding for the first time what it really meant to be a soldier in the trenches, sent out to die under the banner of nationalism - which was an entirely positive word
J.L.   Sutton
Apr 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
From its opening in the trenches with the German Army in WWI to an end replete with utter hopelessness, Erich Maria Remarque's All Quiet on the Western Front presents a devastating picture of a soldier at war. What's clear is that our protagonist, Paul, could be a soldier of any country; his concerns and emotions could be those of a soldier of this century rather than the beginning of the 20th century. In fact, despite the images we associate with WWI (such as the gas attacks and brutal ...more
Diane
Five heartbreaking stars for this classic novel about World War I.

I first read All Quiet on the Western Front my freshman year of college, thanks to Dr. K's humanities course. During this re-read, I paused not only in appreciation of what soldiers and their families suffer during war, but also for all the great teachers who spend their days trying to inspire students to have Perspective and Big Ideas and to Think Critically. I remember how meaningful it was to read this book when I was 19, and
Supratim
I had heard about the movie All Quiet on the Western Front from a teacher when was in school. He had told me about the poignant ending of the movie. Then I did not know that it was based on a book. I learnt about it much later.

Anyway I finally read the novel and experienced why some people call it “The Greatest War Novel of All Time.”

The novel tells the story of Paul Baumer, a 19 year old serving in the German Army during World War I. Incidentally, the author, Erich Maria Remarque, himself had
Ted
… all the memories that come … are always completely calm … They are soundless apparitions that speak to me, with looks and gestures silently, without any word … They are quiet in this way because quietness is so unattainable for us now … Their stillness is the reason why these memories of former times do not awaken desire so much as sorrow – a vast, inapprehensible melancholy. Once we had such desires- but they return not. They are past, they belong to another world that is gone from us.

Kemper
Jul 02, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My copy of this was a paperback that I had picked up somewhere in my high school years. It was printed in the ‘50s and cost 60 cents per the cover price. The pages were yellowed and an old dog of mine (dead 20 years now) chewed on a corner of it at one point, and his teeth marks are still on it. But I held onto that copy over the years through multiple changes of residence and numerous paperback dumps to used book stores and library donations. When I was trying to organize some of my stuff ...more
Kiekiat
Dec 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classic-novels
This is the best war novel I've ever read! I'm not sure how much that's saying about me or the book, since I haven't exactly read a great many war novels.

I've been on a World War I jag lately, which should not be misinterpreted as READING a great many books about WW I. Rather, I have been BUYING a great many books about World War I. All Quiet on the Western Front is a book I've owned about 25 years and this was actually my second try at reading it. The only reason I know this is that I noticed
Chrissie
I am silent. What can I say? Here I have been, for the last year or two, searching for books on WW1. I have read fiction and non-fiction and biographies. This thin little book has more of an impact than any other I have read.

This is a book to be read many times.

Not only is it profound in message, but the author writes beautifully.

Can humor be incorporated into a book with such a serious message? Yes, Remarque pulls this off too.

This thin book perfectly captures

- war in the trenches
- mustard
Martine
All Quiet on the Western Front (or, to give it its German title, Nothing New in the West) has been hailed as the best war novel ever, and it's easy to see why. World War I is described in such vivid non-glory in its pages that you are sucked into the story straight away and stay there for the next two hundred pages. It is obvious that the author, Erich Maria Remarque, had first-hand experience of the things he writes about; the details are so right and authentic-sounding that they couldn't ...more
Nandakishore Varma
Oh my God. I will never again hear the platitude that "war is a deplorable necessity" without throwing up. Talk about books that get under your skin.

Detailed review below.

***

During my teens, war for me was heroic. It was the battleground of justice – the Dharmakshetra Kurukshetra of the Mahabharata war – where the good guys defeated the evil guys. And in the thrillers which I read in those days (Alistair MacLean, Jack Higgins et al) the good guys were the British and Americans, the bad guys were
Jeff
Paul Baumer needs you to see things from his perspective.

Paul is a German soldier, posted on the Western Front during World War I. Paul hangs out with his buddies and tries to keep things loose, but Paul can’t rid himself from the stress of battle. He goes home on leave and everything is tainted with war. No matter what he does or who he’s with, Paul’s mind drifts toward the front. Paul’s world view has been changed in significant ways.

On the front Paul is consumed with death. Paul sees his
Jan-Maat
When a spade is called an entrenching tool, and an entrenching tool is the ultimate weapon

I read this the first time at school and I'm not sure how much I remember from that reading and how much from seeing film versions. Taking in the civilian side from school days and the homefront gives a different impression than the military focus of the British war poets.

Re-Reading I'm struck how the narrator is self-effacing, like in the old days the teacher writing on the board in chalk but half rubbing
Vit Babenco
Jul 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
They were young. They were twenty-year-old. The war has stolen their youth.
“To me the front is a mysterious whirlpool. Though I am in still water far away from its centre, I feel the whirl of the vortex sucking me slowly, irresistibly, inescapable into itself.
From the earth, from the air, sustaining forces pour into us—mostly from the earth. To no man does the earth mean so much as to the soldier. When he presses himself down upon her long and powerfully, when he buries his face and his limbs
Joey Woolfardis
This is the second book that I've very nearly given five stars this year. All Quiet on the Western Front is the story of one young man fresh out of school who is sent to the front line with his classmates and must survive the horrors of war. I have a deep interest in the First World War in particular and I've never read anything (not even a poem) that deals with war in such a way as this.

It is unforgiving and unapologetic in it's truth. The horrors of war are laid bare and every single thought
Klinta
Jan 23, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've never quite gotten around reading Remarque although his books have been around our home for longer than I am alive. I knew that my family respected him, yet I didn’t know why. I started a few times, but as soon as I was hit by frozen limbs, I couldn't handle it anymore and left it at that.

I studied history and had to talk to few people who fought in WWII, a couple who were deported and survived the Holocaust, I worked in a post-military object for many years (where I met many people who
Perry
Jul 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Power of Words in Depicting War

Based on the real life war experiences of its author, this novel is the most vivid I've read on the horrors of war. It's certainly the best-known book about the atrocities of trench warfare in World War I.

The novel struck me speechless by the end, stunning me most by the dichotomy of its fresh and immaculate prose against the bleakness and despair of the war's death and destruction, all in such a relatively short novel.

This combination of words, war and
Diane S ☔
Aug 28, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is an extremely powerfully written book highlighting many of the horrors the men who fought in WWI experienced. Telling it from the viewpoint of a young man, Paul, who we first meet as a student makes it more personal for the reader. They enlist with the bravado of the young, fighting for their country, a sense of adventure that once in the trenches they quickly lose.

The nightmare that was trench warfare, seeing your friends killed and many times not sure where your next bit of food
Emer (A Little Haze)
"I am young, I am twenty years of age; but I know nothing of life except despair, death, fear, and the combination of completely mindless superficiality with an abyss of suffering.

I see people being driven against one another, and silently, uncomprehendingly, foolishly, obediently and innocently killing one another.

I see the best brains in the world inventing weapons and words to make the whole process that much more sophisticated and long-lasting.

And watching this with me are all my
Dem
Aug 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Yeah ! My first 5 star read of 2014. Excellent- A mesmerizing and vivid account of war.

I bought this novel as an audio book for $2.95 on Audible's daily deal and firstly I have to say the narrator was excellent but after a few pages I realized I just had to have the physical book as the writing was so beautiful I needed to have the book in my hand and re-read some of the wonderfully constructed sentances.

This is a story about Paul, a young German soldier who goes to war along with some of his
BAM The Bibliomaniac
"Terror can be endured if one simply ducks"

A spellbinding portrait of the atrocities experienced by the young population who fight to defend their country. I phrased it such because although this book is a poignant description of WWI, the events are experienced today; just update the technology. I can never know what my friends have gone through on active duty, but if it's even half of this inhumanity, I will never look at them the same. Our soldiers are our true super heroes. Never forget

Audio
Erin
May 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Audiobook performed by Frank Muller 6h 56m

Well....... I suppose this wasn't my best choice for an Audiobook as I dived into my spring cleaning the May holiday weekend in Canada.

Text: 5 stars
Audio: 3 stars

I have been musing over how exactly I want to approach my first encounter with this well known WWI classic told from the perspective of a young German soldier.

What I Liked :
1) A perspective on the Great War that focuses on the soldiers and doesn't turn out to be a romance. It's bleak and
Jo
Jul 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is so significant in attempting to understand the profound effect that war has on an individual. All quiet on the western front is about a man who has just left school, and with his classmates, he is sent to the front line to endure the horrors of war. I have always had an interest in the first World War, as I was never really taught anything about it in school, it was always the second World War that was covered,but yet the first is so important.

What I liked about this book in
Jonathan Ashleigh
Aug 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: recent

This quote sums this book up best. The main character is a modern soldier who fights in a war he considers senseless. Read this book because it is short and if you like it — read Johnny Got His Gun too.

• The Thin Red Line
  • War and Peace
  • To Kill a Mockingbird (To Kill a Mockingbird, #1)
  • Night (The Night Trilogy, #1)
  • A Farewell to Arms
  • The Great Gatsby
  • Animal Farm
  • Of Mice and Men
  • The Old Man and the Sea
  • The Catcher in the Rye
  • Johnny Got His Gun
  • 1984
  • The Interlopers (Tale Blazers)
  • Dievų miškas
  • For Whom the Bell Tolls
  • Storm of Steel
  • Slaughterhouse-Five
  • Fahrenheit 451
Erich Maria Remarque (pen name of Erich Paul Remark) is one of the best known and most widely read authors of German literature in the twentieth century.

Remarque's biography is essentially marked and his writing fundamentally influenced by German history of the twentieth century: Childhood and youth in imperial Osnabrück, World War I, the Weimar Republic, and most of all his exile in Switzerland

All Quiet on the Western Front/The Road Back (2 books)
  • The Road Back
“I am young, I am twenty years old; yet I know nothing of life but despair, death, fear, and fatuous superficiality cast over an abyss of sorrow. I see how peoples are set against one another, and in silence, unknowingly, foolishly, obediently, innocently slay one another.” 758 likes
“But now, for the first time, I see you are a man like me. I thought of your hand-grenades, of your bayonet, of your rifle; now I see your wife and your face and our fellowship. Forgive me, comrade. We always see it too late. Why do they never tell us that you are poor devils like us, that your mothers are just as anxious as ours, and that we have the same fear of death, and the same dying and the same agony--Forgive me, comrade; how could you be my enemy?” 492 likes