Start by marking “Profoundly Disturbing: The Shocking Movies that Changed History” as Want to Read:
Profoundly Disturbing: The Shocking Movies that Changed History

Profoundly Disturbing: The Shocking Movies that Changed History

4.12  ·  Rating details ·  258 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
What the critics are saying:
"Beyond the bounds of depravity!"–London Evening Standard
"Despicable . . . ugly and obscene . . . a degrading, senseless misuse of film and time." –The Los Angeles Times
"People are right to be shocked." –The New Yorker

From the murky depths can come the most extraordinary things. . . . Profoundly Disturbing examines the underground cult movies th
Published June 28th 2003 by Universe (first published May 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Profoundly Disturbing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Profoundly Disturbing

Rebecca Brock
May 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I can't really review this book with any kind of unbiased opinion, because...I was Joe Bob's Researcher! (that sounded like it should be the title of a B-movie, so read it in your head as such).

Yep, 'tis true. Check out the thank you's at the bottom of the page and you'll see my name right there in black and white. It's funny, because no one ever thinks about the person who provides all the raw material for the author...and let me just tell you this, you have not worked your ass off until you've
Jill Hutchinson
Dec 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
Most bad movie fans know the author of this book, Joe Bob Briggs, either from his tv shows Joe Bob's Drive-In Theater and Monstervision or his columns in newspapers and magazines. He is the ultimate lover of bad, obscure, strange, and underground film and here he presents the movies in those categories that he calls "shocking movies that changed history". He may be overstating the case for changing history but the 15 films he reviews in this tome certainly made the public (or a portion of the pu ...more
Darcy
May 09, 2009 rated it really liked it
More Joe Bloom than Joe Bob (although he is there) in a thoughtful analysis of films that shook people up at the time of release. Primary sources are used as much as possible, punctuated with fine insights. Fantastic bibliography.

Good stuff, if you know what I mean (and I think you do).
Alger
Feb 15, 2015 rated it liked it
Being mean about this book is like kicking a puppy. It is so obviously a work of true love of an ardent fanboy that it doesn't matter if the selections are VERY subjective and the prose hackneyed and repetitive; the sheer enthusiasm of Briggs while he is breathlessly telling you about these INCREDIBLY SHOCKING films is endearing.

Now I have seen nearly all of these films, and while Briggs makes a good case for any one of these films being shocking on its own, considered as a whole they fail to im
Craig Williams
Jan 03, 2011 rated it really liked it
I've always had a passionate love of movies, made all the more so in my childhood by watching shows like Up All Night with Gilbert Godfrey and Monster Vision with Joe Bob Briggs. Sure, neither shows were in the habit of featuring Oscar worthy movies, but they did show movies with plenty of gore, violence, and busty, scantily clad women, which suited my adolescent tastes just fine.

Anyway, what I loved about Monster Vision was that it was hosted by a friendly, witty, salt-of-the-Earth dude named
Pat F.
Oct 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
Joe Bob Briggs has written a thoughtful, inside-baseball look at 15 movies that changed how we think of films. Here they are:

The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari (1919)
Mom and Dad (1947)
Creature from the Black Lagoon (1954)
And God Created Woman (1956)
The Curse of Frankenstein (1957)
Blood Feast (1963)
The Wild Bunch (1969)
Shaft (1971)
Deep Throat (1972)
The Exorcist (1973)
Ilsa, She-Wolf of the SS (1974)
The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (1974)
Drunken Master (1978)
Reservoir Dogs (1992)
Crash (1996)

The most valuable
Jennie
Aug 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Exquisitely researched and brilliantly written - this book is a win all the way around. I love Joe Bob Briggs as an author. However, I knocked off one full star for this egregious error that made my librarian brain melt. In regards to Quentin Tarantino's name: "Connie was reading The Sound and the Fury at the time, and named her son after Quentin Compson, Faulkner's deaf-and-dumb innocent whose sense of beauty can only be expressed to himself." Um no, Mr. Briggs - that would be Benjy. Quentin, f ...more
Robert
Aug 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned
Joe Bob Briggs reins in the redneck persona and exposes more of the film critic, John Bloom, in PROFOUNDLY DISTURBING... but then 'John Bloom' wouldn't have moved as many books as "Joe Bob Briggs". Here, he goes in for a more detailed look at the films that 'changed history', such as BLOOD FEAST, THE WILD BUNCH, THE TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE, DEEP THROAT, among others.

The persona and jokey tone of the previous collections of reviews are gone or sublimated, but the film buff knowledge comes right u
Damond
Feb 12, 2008 rated it it was amazing
A terrific book detailing the stories behind several films that are/were socially disturbing. I really enjoyed that it detailed films that aren't normally covered by your traditional film history books. Briggs has done his research and he knows his stuff. He really goes all out to explain each choice and what makes that film so significant. If you want a film history book that makes you think and could even change your opinion on specific films or even whole genres, this is your book. For exampl ...more
Bryce Wilson
May 08, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: film
There's probably a special place in cineaste hell reserved for me for the sin of enjoying Joe Bob Briggs much more then sacred cows like Pauline Kael and J. Hoberman. Brigg's conversational prose, and good ol' boy style belie a deep knowledge of film history, a thoughtful and deep method, and most importantly a genuine affection for what he writes about that's largely absent from the work of most of today's professional critics.

It's fantastic to read the likes of Hershel Gordan Lewis written ab
Cole
Jul 04, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: gorehounds, perverts, and other cinephiles
i miss the drive-in. i miss the redskin, the vaska, and the 82nd twin (the theater haunts of my childhood). i miss being surprised and i miss being scared. sometimes i feel like movies are the only thing worth a damn. if you love the movies (and going to the movies, two different things entirely) then read this.

Sep 24, 2007 rated it really liked it
Shelves: movies
A fine companion to Joe Bob's Profoundly Erotic (actually, this one came first). The one bad effect this book had on me is that I'm really dying to see Mom and Dad but probably never will. Oh, well.
Mark Dunn
Nov 05, 2016 rated it liked it
This is an excellent book if you want facts about movies you love/hate but it was a lot like reading the encyclopedia. I honestly couldn't read the whole thing.
Heather Domin
Mar 16, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: wishlist
I really, really enjoyed this book. The only reason I didn't give it 5 stars is because I wish it had an afterword to match the introduction.
Jesse Hebert
Apr 09, 2009 rated it it was ok
"...Changed History?" Not by a long shot. Not most of 'em, at any rate. Entertaining enough.
Rick
Jul 23, 2008 rated it it was amazing
It will take me 100 years to watch all the movies mentioned in this book, but I will give it a try.
Mike Hunchback
Jul 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
One of the most essential books on film of the last 20 years. A staggering work, no one should call himself a true fan of cinema without it.
Kevin
Aug 05, 2008 rated it it was amazing
excellent "genre" book for movie fans
Jon Steffens
  • Destroy All Movies!!!: The Complete Guide to Punks on Film
  • The Satanic Screen
  • Cronenberg on Cronenberg
  • Videohound's Cult Flicks and Trash Pics
  • Showgirls, Teen Wolves, and Astro Zombies: A Film Critic's Year-Long Quest to Find the Worst Movie Ever Made
  • Hollywood Gothic: The Tangled Web of Dracula from Novel to Stage to Screen
  • Monsters in the Movies
  • Nightmare of Ecstasy: The Life and Art of Edward D. Wood
  • The Psychotronic Encyclopedia of Film
  • Zombie Movies: The Ultimate Guide
  • Pre-Code Hollywood: Sex, Immorality, and Insurrection in American Cinema; 1930-1934
  • All I Need to Know about Filmmaking I Learned from The Toxic Avenger
  • Never Coming to a Theater Near You: A Celebration of a Certain Kind of Movie
  • Men, Women, and Chain Saws: Gender in the Modern Horror Film
  • Conversations with Wilder
  • The Haunted Screen: Expressionism in the German Cinema and the Influence of Max Reinhardt