Start by marking “Head First Servlets and JSP: Passing the Sun Certified Web Component Developer Exam” as Want to Read:

(Head First Series)

Imagine a world without eBay...unthinkable! How would you get that Farrah Fawcett poster, retired Beanie Baby, or first-edition pet rock? Handling over a gazillion (OK, we exaggerate--it's actually only 1 billion) page views each day, server-side Java makes eBay work.

Isn't it time you learned the latest (J2EE 1.4) versions of Servlets & JSPs? This book will get you wa
Published August 30th 2004 by O'Reilly Media (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Head First Servlets and JSP, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Head First Servlets and JSP

Fouad Al-malki
Oct 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is a must-read book for anyone new to JavaEE world! I had fun and I enjoyed reading it in about 3 months.
فاروق الفرشيشي
It's not just about what you need to know about Servlets & JSP (especially when you want to pass the SCWCD exam) It's also about the way you do it. Head first provide a smart way to get into Servlets based on problems/solutions, so the reader can relate all the features he's got to learn to real world problems and can't forget about them.
I recommend to have a paperback version because it's like a notebook. Don't get tricked by the 900 pages, because it's full of stories, exercises and awesom
John
Jul 19, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: nerds
Head first series is a fun approach at geeky manuals, easy to follow... this stuff is not easy, but necessary for java web development.
Kosala Abayagunawardene
Passed the SCWCD exam because of this book. Thanks
Felipe Reis
Feb 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book helped me pass the Java Web Developer exam.
DANIEL
Jan 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
If you want to enter in the JavaEE world, you have to read this book. It explains in a very clear way how Servlets work underneath, revealing the magic.

Recommended 100% for starters in JavaEE. Must-read!!
Roger Contreras
Apr 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I learned to develop web applications with this book.
Giorgi Tsiklauri
Mar 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Very good book. Nice, neat, deep and thorough.
Andrew
Mar 13, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: tech
This book is the definitive guide to passing the Sun Certified Web Component Developer Exam (SCWCD). I have yet to take the exam, but after reading through this book, I feel like I am completely prepared for it. It is written in a very laid back, comical way. There are tons of little illustrations that drive home the main points, and at the same time use humor to help you remember them.

There is a TON of information in this book, and it should be expected to take quite a bit of time to read thro
Ross
Jun 26, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: ready-to-read
Still reading...

I was recommended to read this book for a certification I wish to take. Thus far, I have to say that I HATE the format of this book. Don't get me wrong, it has good information... but reading it is definitely a chore. I've read the SCJP 6 book by Sierra and Bates. While that was also pretty droll, it did prepare me for the exam of the same name fairly well. However, despite having a fair bit of hands on familiarity with both standard Java AND Servlets/JSP before beginning either
loïc
Mar 14, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: study
3 stars... don't get me wrong it IS a good book: worthy of the praise that most head first books receive (it is an awesome series after all)...

so take all the good points other ppl already mentioned but two major cons:
-it is outdated (5 years is a long time)
-it would have been better if there was a shift from all the Sun exam stuff (which is a lot of syntax stuff: IRL does not matter that much with IDE correction for example) to the development of a webapp as one big example that continues throu
Russell Glasser
Jan 15, 2010 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
I was actually kind of annoyed by the Head First series when I read one before (Head First Design patterns). However, this book has so far been exactly what I needed. I've been working with J2EE for a few years now, but I mostly had to follow the learn-by-doing method. Going back to the fundamentals, reading the rationale for WHY code gets written the way it is, has been really valuable to me.

The cartoons and kung fu references are still kind of childish and annoying, but for the most part the c
Mohammad Hossein
Sep 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
As always and like all of Head First books, I've read, this book is awesome!

Fun & thus fast to read, the book walks you through a thorough tutorial on the promised API.

This is the first head first book I read and I learned Servlets & JSP production ready after finishig this book.

Only thing is, the book tries to teach you the Sun exam material. This focus makes some parts of the not useful for production. For example I have never used the Custom Tag Classes and as it says in the book, It'
Russell Glasser
Jan 15, 2010 rated it really liked it
I needed a thorough refresher on this topic because, while I've been working with Java Servers for a couple of years, I've mostly had to learn by example. Previously I've found the clip art, stories, and dialogues in the Head First series to be overly cute and a bit patronizing. That is still the case to an extent, but the conversational style in this case helped me keep up my interest. I learned some new stuff about security and filters, and feel like I have a better grip on the abstract meanin ...more
Khaled
Aug 16, 2012 rated it liked it
This is my first "Head First" book, and I have to say I'm impressed. It presents a new approach to learning. It is organized to make you feel as if you are studying with a friend not just reading a book. I must say that I have some previous background on the topic which may have helped me enjoy the experience, but nevertheless I guess this will not be my last book from this series. It is fun, organized, but lacks a complete example or project or some exercises to help you have hands on experienc ...more
Cristian Stan
Nov 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: technical
I really did not think I would enjoy so much a technical book especially given the fact that I just wanted to check one or two chapters for some information. But the style of the writing so informal and funny but going in great technical detail captivated me and ended up reading most of the book which proven to be a good idea. I really like the feeling of going through an initiating journey with lots of martial arts references :).
Ammar Alrashed
Feb 15, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I learned all about Servlets and JSP and all the tweaks and important details. Also, it gave a very good comparison with old web frameworks, it also tries to give the reader a good back ground in good application development arch.
AJ
May 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
A great way to quickly learn a new topic. This book got right to the content and did so in a way that was engaging and effective. This book was great for filling in the holes I had in my understanding of Java WebApps.
Sridhar Jammalamadaka
Great book for learning Java EE. JSP and Servlets can be quite complex for beginners. This was not my first book for Java EE, but still enjoyed reading this book. I refer to this book for interviews.
Mrugen
Jun 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
Great book for anyone who wants to start learning web based java technologies like JSP/Servlets. The book has a simple and easy take and a steady progression towards concepts , reducing the learning curve drastically.

Ted
Nov 25, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Another excellent Head First Book
Alex Babiuk
Mar 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
good book to prepare to SCWCD
Beenish Zaidi
Jun 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone new to JSP & Servlets
Very clear concepts. Fun way to put across the details. Best book.
Dmitry
Jul 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Ohh, it is fundamental book regarding the subject, a bit outdated, but still useful.
A lot if info-graphics are used to illustrate the material, it is really helpful.
Silviu Burcea
Jun 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The book is amazing, despite the fact that is a little bit outdated. I have learned a lot even with quite a lot of Servlets practice.
Ahmed Attyah
Oct 05, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: programming
a good book if you are preparing for SCWCD certification, but i recommend Murach's jsp & servlets if you are caring only about learning jsp & servlets
Danilo Mutti
Mar 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This was the only book I used during my preparations for the SCWCD certification test. Scored 93%!
Nagabhushana Nadigar
good one but irritates with exam focus in between.
Dheepakk J
SCWCD
Ramanji

• Spring in Action
  • Head First EJB
  • Head First Object-Oriented Analysis and Design: A Brain Friendly Guide to OOA&D
  • Head First JavaScript
  • Head First Software Development
  • Head First HTML with CSS & XHTML
  • Head First Design Patterns
  • Html5: Up and Running: Dive Into the Future of Web Development
  • Core Java 2, Volume I--Fundamentals (Core Series)
  • Programming Concurrency on the JVM
  • Regular Expressions Cookbook
  • Head First PHP & MySQL
  • Thinking in Java
  • The Well-Grounded Java Developer: Vital techniques of Java 7 and polyglot programming
  • Head First Statistics
  • Test Driven: Practical TDD and Acceptance TDD for Java Developers
  • Java Persistence with Hibernate: Revised Edition of Hibernate in Action
  • Hadoop: The Definitive Guide

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »

Head First Series (1 - 10 of 45 books)
  • Head First 2D Geometry