Start by marking “The CSS Anthology” as Want to Read:
The CSS Anthology

The CSS Anthology

3.86  ·  Rating details ·  216 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
A practical guide on CSS (Cascading Style Sheets) for professionals and novices, that can be used both as a tutorial and read cover-to-cover or as a handy and practical reference book to common problems, solutions and effects. The 2nd edition is now full-color throughout and is completely updated and revised with the latest tips & tricks.

This book will show you how to
Published May 31st 2007 by SitePoint (first published September 4th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The CSS Anthology, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The CSS Anthology

Bryan Higgs
Feb 13, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: web-development
I read this book just after reading HTML Utopia HTML Utopia by the same author. (See my review https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...).

This book suffers from many of the same problems as HTML Utopia -- it's quite out of date. Specifically, it doesn't talk about HTML5 or CSS3 (neither of which were around at the time). Now, at least, the author has published a new edition: The CSS3 Anthology: Take Your Sites To New Heights, 4th Edition which apparently talks about CSS3 and HTML5 ; I haven't rea
Dhuaine
May 10, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: CSS beginners
Shelves: tech
A very good book containing a lot of tips and tricks from various departments, starting at beautifying design and ending at improving usability and accessibility. It's compiled in very user-friendly format of questions and answers with full source code. It is, however, targeted at CSS novices - or it used to be an overwhelming compendium five years ago, when CSS was still new.
SitePoint has recently released 3rd edition of this book (I have 1st) - but I've read its info and it looks like it was
Tami
Dec 05, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Should I use pixels, points, ems, or another unit identifier to set font sizes? How do I form elements using CSS? How do I set an item’s position on the page using CSS?

The CSS Anthology sets out a question and answer type of resource. Most people using this book will be browsing the topics for solutions to particular problems. However, if worked through from start to finish, this book would even serve beginners well.

The CSS Anthology is complete with full code and illustrations. I find this asp
Gabriele D'Amato
Mar 02, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: web-design, ebook
E' un ottimo testo per imparare i primi rudimenti dei CSS. Attualmente risulta un po' datato visto l'uso ormai consolidato dei CSS3. Ad ogni modo molte tecniche rimangono ottime e aiutano a comprendere meglio (e ricordare) come andrebbero trattati certi problemi e contesti. Gli esempi sono molto buoni e spesso specificati passo passo. Il codice è fondamentalmente semplice e lo si può seguire bene grazie a spiegazioni molto precise e un linguaggio adatto a tutti. Insomma, un libro che fa bene a c ...more
Hamed Mazaheri
Oct 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
Very good book for those who are less familiar with CSS, but I think too much is not useful for beginner, tricks are very good and very simple language they are learning.
absolutely recommend to people who are still learning CSS.
------------------------------------------------
اين كتاب توسط اميرحسين عبدالعلي به فارسي ترجمه شده و توسط انتشارات ناقوس به چاپ رسيده كه ترجمه بسيار روان به همراه نكات ميفيدي دارد.
Richard Piet
Set up as questions posed with clear answers, this CSS handbook is probably the best problem solver book I have found. As my students ask about their design problems, most solutions can be found with clear examples, and sample code.

It is a highly recommended book to use to understand the fundamentals of designing with CSS
Excellent Source of CSS Information: This book has proven to be an invaluable source of information for CSS and web design! I have used CSS over the past few years, and Rachel Andrew's is an excellent book that ties concepts together with pratical and well planned examples. I highly recommend this book to any individual wanting to see CSS in action.
Janet
Mar 16, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: designers
Shelves: mystaples
This is the best CSS book I have found.
Giuseppe Pizzimenti
campionario di soluzioni pronte e di facile lettura, ma che si mantiene di livello introduttivo
Linda
Dec 31, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction, tech
A good solid groundwork in CSS for folks like me who learn best through figuring out how to do a specific task, rather than starting with the absolute fundamentals first.
Mostafa
Jan 01, 2009 rated it really liked it
Good book for beginners. you can find practical solutions and learn tricks very fast.
Andy Norris
Jun 03, 2011 rated it really liked it
Very, very informative, and surprisingly easy to read. Made me wish I could start all of my web projects over and do them right.
Farhad
Feb 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: webdesign
I taught me practical CSS and its common tricks in a short time.
Katherine Parker
Well, I never got far into this book and had to take it back to the library...
Rejeev Divakaran
Aug 17, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: programming
Very good CSS Beginers. Very readable writting style.
Michelle
Feb 19, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: web
Excellent source of CSS!! Great examples and explanations!!
Derek Bridge
Aug 07, 2011 rated it really liked it
CSS tips, tricks & hacks - just like it says on the can. Very useful format. After you've learned what CSS is, this is the ideal next book on the topic, prior to something more advanced.
Audrey Teo
Oct 31, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is a brilliant reference book. Very visual with lots of colour which is important for visually inclined web designers
Joe
Aug 05, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Where was this book before I redesigned my web sites?
Cemiyyet
  • Build Your Own Website The Right Way Using HTML & CSS
  • Simply JavaScript: Everything You Need to Learn JavaScript from Scratch
  • Sexy Web Design
  • CSS Cookbook
  • HTML, XHTML, and CSS (Visual Quickstart Guide)
  • jQuery: Novice to Ninja
  • CSS Mastery: Advanced Web Standards Solutions
  • Bulletproof Web Design: Improving flexibility and protecting against worst-case scenarios with XHTML and CSS
  • The Zen of CSS Design: Visual Enlightenment for the Web
  • HTML5 & CSS3 For The Real World
  • Web Design in a Nutshell: A Desktop Quick Reference
  • CSS: The Missing Manual
  • CSS: The Definitive Guide
  • Transcending CSS: The Fine Art of Web Design
  • The Smashing Book
  • Web Style Guide: Basic Design Principles for Creating Web Sites
Rachel Andrew is a web developer, speaker and author who lives in Bristol, UK. She is the editor-in-chief of Smashing Magazine.
More about Rachel Andrew