Start by marking “Prairie Rose (A Town Called Hope, #1)” as Want to Read:
Prairie Rose (A Town Called Hope, #1)

Prairie Rose

(A Town Called Hope #1)

3.97  ·  Rating details ·  1,705 Ratings  ·  76 Reviews
Hope and love blossom on the untamed prairie as a young woman searching for a place to call home happens upon a Kansas homestead during the 1860s . . . A Town Called Hope, the inspiring series set in post Civil War Kansas, is the creation of best-selling romance writer Catherine Palmer. In the fast-paced "Prairie Rose, " impulsive nineteen-year-old Rosie Mills takes a job ...more
Published August 22nd 1997 by Tyndale House Publishers (first published August 8th 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Prairie Rose, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Prairie Rose

Shantelle
A sweet romance set on the vast and unpopulated prairie of Kansas. I enjoyed this story of frontier men and women, of unexpected, almost funny, oppurtunities, of family ties, of all-surpassing love... of a sunshine named Rosie, and a man wanting to prove himself, but too afraid, named Seth. And the little boy, unsure of anything after being taken away from the grandparents who raised him, little Chipper.

For the most part, Prairie Rose was an interesting story that held me captive. Near to the
Mary
Nov 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
Little did I know when I started reading this book, how much I would like this author. She wrote a lovely story of a poor orphan girl who would just like to have a life outside the orphanage. She was passed over many times by families looking for a child just because she wasn't the prettiest or strongest little girl. But the orphanage itself, enjoyed her help there with the other children so much, they really didn't want her to leave as a young adult. But, she did figure out a way to leave. Gent ...more
Daisy
Nov 24, 2009 rated it really liked it
This is the first book I've read by Catherine Palmer, and I must say it was an enjoyable read. It was easy to like Rose from the very beginning, and I loved to watch her grow both as a person and spiritually. However, this isn't the first book I've read of late where the primary characters (the ones that we know will ultimately grow in love and get married) don't talk to each other. Historically, is it thought that men and women simply never shared their thoughts with one another? There were a n ...more
Tammy
Nov 14, 2011 rated it really liked it
This is the first book I have ready by Catherine Palmer and I really enjoyed it. I love the touch of the inspiration fiction with the historical romace setting. I look forward to reading others by her.
Elizabeth
Jun 10, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: catherine-palmer
Great beginning! I really liked the German guy. I felt sorry for him!
Sue
Mar 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this so much I added books 2 and 3 to my to-read list and will most likely search out more of Catherine Palmer's work.

Set shortly after the American Civil War, Prairie Rose is the story of Rosie Mills, a nineteen year old woman abandoned at birth and raised in an orphanage, and Seth Hunter, a widower with a five year-old son he barely knows and a soddy house on the prairie. Rosie leaps at the opportunity to work for Seth and care for his son. But life has made Seth a hard man. He strug
Jay Butler
Jun 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rosie is Beautiful!

I really enjoyed Prairie Rose! I may have highlighted more passages within this book than I ever have. Not necessarily due to the storyline but because of the wisdom, the Godly truth, in the message. I truly enjoyed Rosie! Here absolute devotion - dedication - to God was refreshing. I looked forward to reading Books 2 & 3. #GoodRead (by Renee Cornwell)
Patricia Ray
Oct 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this light read with its colorful characters with true human natures. Catherine captured a real sense of place and time in history as well with attention to facts I found interesting. I never realized how a prairie could be so rich.
Joyce
Jun 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Prairie Rose

Prairie Rose is a wonderful story of the New Frontier. Brings love and laughter to a new town. Don't miss this delightful bunch of folks.
Kbarker
Oct 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Liked it a lot. A well written story. Is a historical Christian fiction book.
Lisa
Mar 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is one of those prairie stories I like. Our heroine leaves New York City to travel with a man with a young son. She is the hired help. On the homestead, another man falls in love with her causing jealous feelings in her boss. A good-feel story.
Abigail
Apr 03, 2012 rated it liked it
This was nearly going to get a four-star rating from me--it was refreshingly light on the angsty-ness, not overly inside the character's heads, the characters had time to get to know each other to make their falling in love plausible, and there weren't any ridiculous plot twists. However, it stretched my credulity a bit that Rosie was so eager to leave the orphanage that she didn't even say good-bye to any of the children there--some of whom were presumably her friends or who would have been hur ...more
Anita
Jan 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I read this book in a day as I found it was so good. Catherine Palmer is a new author to me and I am on book three in this series now. I find her a very good writer and the book a good story. It weaves in tradition of the time on what they called "foundlings" accurate. They were shunned as if they were diseased. Rosie was worse than an orphan she was found as an infant so therefore the term "foundling" applied to her. To live with that scorn and to blossom and bloom into the lovely lady she beco ...more
Rachel Thompson
Jun 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance, historical
I downloaded a free copy of this for my e-reader.

Rosie is an orphan who has always dreamed of having a family and a home of her very own, but she's lived in an orphanage her entire life and no one's ever wanted her. After she saves Seth Hunter's life, she finds out he's looking for an orphaned boy to help him on his homestead, but he's being pursued and needs to get out of town as quickly as possible. The orphanage director doesn't seem all that interested in giving up one of her boys, so Rosie
Joanna
I really enjoyed this book. I love Rosie, she is such a energetic,strong-willed and faithful girl. Yes this is a christian story. (I always laugh at reviews where people are upset about this concept.) Rosie has such a strong love and faith in God, I was so inspired and it made me see things I want to strengthen in my own walk with Christ.

Seth is a man who is returning home from the civil war only to find the wife he left has passed away and he has a son. He picks up his son and on the way home
Kim Justice
Feb 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
To start this review I am going to let you know that I had to go back and re-read a little of this book. Why? Because it has been a little while since I had read it. But just picking it up, reading just a few pages that I had marked I was right back into the story of, as the first three words of the synopsis say's Hope and Love.

Set in the Civil War times, this riveting story of young and naive nineteen year old Rosie Mills, one of the main characters. I absolutely loved her. As I read this stor
Kathryn
I loved this book. I hated having to put this down and would loved to read it in bigger chunks of time. This was the 1st book I read by the author and freebie at that. I will definitely be reading the other 2 in the series and others by Catherine Palmer. It has a heavy Christian theme, but is not preachy. It is refreshing to read a book that doesn't get all hot and heavy into sex scenes. I use to not like Christian romances at all, but I just didn't read the right authors. This one was a fantast ...more
Lynda
Mar 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really loved this book. I had the second book in the series on my Kindle & immediately read it as well.

I highlighted many passages, especially those on prayer.

Book also showed some historical detail for Kansas. The 6 grasshopper plagues recorded between 1854 & 1877, the 8 floods 1826-1892, 6 blizzards 1855-1886, 14 prairie fires 1890-1916 & countless tornadoes. That data is in the "Afterward" chapter.

Look for this book in your library. I also had downloaded a free copy from Amazon.
Laurie
Apr 08, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: nook, fiction
Catherine Palmer is an above-average writer of Christian romance fiction. She's obviously spent quite a bit of time on her research for this book. I liked the characters and situation, but some overly-obtuse moments, especially on the heroine's part, and her implausible decision near the end, were a little disappointing. I still think her contemporary novel, "The Happy Room," about the adult children of former missionaries, is her strongest book.
Keelie
I'm not even sure where to begin with this. It was written well. I just didn't find it very interesting. There were okay moments. But overall I felt Rosie very childish. Being naive is one thing, but I felt this went beyond that. I also felt that all the characters lacked a lot of dimension. And while I know it's a Christian Romance, I felt that it was more about the religious side of things than anything else.
Gail
Jan 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
I liked this book for several reasons. I like historical fiction & novels. This story is in the pioneer days of settling the prairie. It's good to read this information and realize what our ancestors went through to settle this great country. I can't even begin to imagine the life they had and the sacrifices they made. Life was truely hard, hard work especially. This book not only includes some history and life circumstances, but some intrigue and romance.
Jane
Jan 12, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2009
This was one of the first books I read by Catherine Palmer probably nearly 9 or 10 or so years ago but I can't remember for sure. Decided I might as well read it again cause after so long the detail fade but I remember liking the story. After reading it again, I still like the story however many years later is it.
For some reason I think this series reminds me of the Reardon Brothers/ Valley series by Dianna Crawford.
Debra
Jan 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. Loved how the heroine almost always had a positive outlook despite many hardships and being an orphan- kind of puts my trials in perspective. The view of life on the frontier was very interesting and made me think about whether I could have lived in such a world. Interesting characters. I plan to read more of his author.
Iamsherbear Too
Oct 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Rosie Mills is a delightful character. If you are a fan of the Hallmark movies, Love Endures, etc., you'll love this book!! It is clearly a wonderful historic romance book that if it hasn't already been made into a movie, it should be. I was sad to come some quickly to the end. It was a joy to read.
Andrea Stoeckel
Nov 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This was a great book I downloaded after reading a post on the NOOK blog praising the author. An orphan on a whim chooses an adventure over the drudgery if being the ildest "Cinderella" at the orphanage. And in doing so hekps a widiwer and his son move forward into a future that's hard, but wonderful as they help homestead the plains after the Civil War. Very good book
Stephanie
I'm a fan of books based in the homesteading/westward movement part of U.S. history, and this one, while not one of my favorites, was well-based in the lifestyle and events that occurred to the settlers. Overall, the characters were somewhat complex, the romance, while taking a little long to develop for me, was genuine, and I loved the development of the little mismatched family.
Karen
Mar 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book, much more than I expected. It's a heartwarming story - a mix of romance, adventure and Christian values. The characters are endearing and It all comes together as a light, enjoyable read. There are a few writing missteps (Chipper doesn't always sound his age, for example) but the book is still a pleasure.
Sue
Rosie is 19 and an orphan. While praying in a tree one day, she observes a fight, and gets involved. Then she ends up travelling out West to Kansas to look after a small boy for a surly farmer.

It's all a bit predictable for American prairie-style light Christian fiction, but a pleasant read with well-rounded and believable characters.
Kyra Dunst
Jan 31, 2014 rated it really liked it
I don't normally read frontier novels, but something about this one caught me from the start. Rose is an unconventional women for her time, but she is sweet, loyal, and hard working. All she wants is a family, but when Seth begins to catch her heart, she isn't sure if he is the man for her. I would recommend this book to others.
Larik
Mar 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-library, reviews
This love story is so gentle it makes me smile each time i see it. Some men especially the ones that were in war have seen so much cruelty that without realizing it they bring it home upon their children and they need a gentle loving woman to open their eyes and bring gentleness into their life... Its a great read for all!!
  • When All My Dreams Come True (Colorado Runaway, #1)
  • Faith  (Brides of the West #1)
  • The Triumph of Grace (Grace in Africa, #3)
  • Ransomed Dreams (Side Roads #1)
  • On Sparrow Hill
  • Love Finds You in Homestead, Iowa
  • Griselda Takes Flight (Bright's Pond #3)
  • Embers of Love (Striking a Match, #1)
  • For Time & Eternity (Sister Wife #1)
  • Surrender the Wind
  • The Brotherhood (Precinct 11, #1)
  • Sixteen Brides
  • A Vote of Confidence (Sisters of Bethlehem Springs, #1)
  • Ransome's Honor (The Ransome Trilogy, #1)
  • Before the Season Ends (Forsythe #1)
  • A Time to Heal (Quilts of Lancaster County, #2)
  • The Vigilante's Bride
  • Heart of Stone (Irish Angel, #1)

Catherine Palmer lives in Atlanta with her husband, Tim, where they serve as missionaries in a refugee community. They have two grown sons. Cathy is a graduate of Southwest Baptist University and holds a master's degree in English from Baylor University. Her first book was published in 1988. Since then she has

A Town Called Hope (4 books)
  • Prairie Fire (A Town Called Hope, #2)
  • Prairie Storm (A Town Called Hope, #3)
  • Prairie Christmas