Start by marking “A Daily Rate” as Want to Read:
A Daily Rate

A Daily Rate

Longing for the warmth and love she had known growing up with her Aunt Hannah, Celia Murray vowed to make the best of the dreary Philadelphia boarding house that was her new "home." Then an unexpected inheritance promised to make all her dreams come true. She sent for her aunt and they began to transform the shabby boarding house into a comfortable home for the boarders wh ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 195 pages
Published May 11th 1985 by Bantam Books (first published 1900)

To ask other readers questions about A Daily Rate, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Daily Rate

Start your review of A Daily Rate
Kerri
Sep 23, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance
This is a little story about a country girl who is forced to go to the city for a job. She misses her aunt who has raised her, and whose situation is even worse than her own.

Her life is dim, without much hope of improvement, but things quickly change.

It is satisfying to read about the changes she makes to the little boarding house. As usual in Mrs. Hill's books, there is a romance going on as well. This is a weakness of the book, as the reader can see through the circumstance that, for a while,
Franny
(Kindle edition) This is a historical romance set in 1900, when the "Three Cents Store" still existed. It's a clean romance between a young woman who runs a boarding house and her hardworking, helpful boarder, a minister with an extremely big heart. Their relationship is heart-warming, but even more heartwarming is the STORY of her dysfunctional boarders, and how they benefit from Celia's tender loving care.

I love Grace Livingston Hill's work and had never heard of this book until my sister foun
Kristine Hansen
Dec 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is one of those touchstone books that I go back to when I need the comfort of something gentle and familiar. So this was perfect to read while fighting a cold on a particularly blustery evening.

The concept of this story is what I love most of all. A sweet girl staying in a rather dismal boarding house amuses herself by thinking of how she would better things for her fellow boarders. Then when a windfall comes her way, sets out to do just that. The idea of using a boarding house as a mission
Kate Copeseeley
Apr 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
I love these old fashioned books. So sweet. :)
A.M.G. ☮Hippie/Fantasia☮
Jun 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Fans of Grace Livingston Hill
Rating: 4.5 / 5

Sometimes, our opinions of books also depend on our experience of reading them just as much as the stories themselves. Like watching a movie, book preferences can also vary based on moods--for instance, if we're feeling down and in the mood to really laugh, we may appreciate even the worst comedy more than we would under ordinary circumstances. The point I'm trying to get at from this analogy is that our moods influence our experiences, and thus our overall opinions.

When I first p
Joyce
Decades since I read one of Grace Livingston Hill's books. Read them as a teenager. Read it more for the nostalgia, and to compare what I read then with what I read now. It's not something I would read all the time.

It's very clean, quite old-fashioned, and full of Scripture. The faith element is strong. There is a strong element of right and wrong. The characters are believable and realistic. The book revolves around the characters' growth with little in the way of plot. Much of it is in the ma
Martha Groeber
Jun 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
Celia Murray is trying to make ends meet, working as a ribbon girl in a store and living in a cheap boardinghouse. Her maiden aunt Hannah is living with a niece, where she is unappreciated and overworked. When Celia comes into an unexpected inheritance, she sets her sights on improving the boardinghouse and her aunt's life. In the process, she learns to trust in God for her daily needs while helping others with their problems.

This novel was written in 1900, and is of a very different style than
Elaine Mazzo
May 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is one of my favorite GLH books. Such a sweet story about a young girl in the big city. When her fortunes change, she finds herself the owner of a boarding house. She and her aunt decide to bring it back to its former glory days. I think GLH is at her best when she is writing about homemaking and the love and attention it requires. Of course, there is romance involved.

It's an easy read and an enjoyable one, too.
CM
Dec 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is one of Grace Livingston Hill's earliest books, and, so far, I think, her best. She has not yet been influenced by her critics but is unhampered in sharing her Christian faith in this missive. It is bright in its outcome, but very clear on the evils of society and the choices that each of us must make. So refreshing and still applicable for our day!
Linda Smith
Oct 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Blessed anew every time I read it.

I have read this book multiple times and never fail to be comforted by it. Our failure to trust Him is the cause of much of our stress and the author delivers that lesson in a delightful story. A very good read indeed.
Terri
Mar 31, 2008 rated it it was amazing
It is very good short story
Little Red Readinghood
May 31, 2013 rated it really liked it
Old fashion Christian literature at its best.
Deborah Meabon
Jan 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
One of Grace L. Hill's better books. I love the old fashioned settings mixed with timeless truths about faith, character, and a genuine love for others.
Mikayla
Jun 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book was such a sweet GLH. Of coarse, I haven't know many that aren't. The theme was very good, and I loved the characters.
Anna Jackson
Jun 10, 2020 rated it it was ok
I didn't like this book nearly as much as some of Hill's other books (and I've been in a rut reading a TON of her stuff lately - Thanks Project Gutenberg- so I feel like I have a little perspective). Compared with her classic - The Enchanted Barn - this one just felt so flat. The main character was ok - I definitely feel like she was relatable in a lot of her anxiety - probably more so even at the time this was written; however she changed opinions so much that I got a bad case of whiplash tryin ...more
Kathryn
Apr 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
Audiobook read by Susan O'Malley, who I thought was the perfect narrator for any Grace Livingston Hill heroine. I'd easily recommend the audiobook. I did not realize this was one of GLH's earliest titles until I picked up a paperback to copy a few quotes. This had all of the comforting domestic details and faith messages I want when I pick up one of her books.

(Verse for this book: 2 Kings 25:30).

And so she hurried on, tugging after her the heavy cross which she had carefully made that morning f
Natasha Marie
Jan 20, 2016 rated it liked it
This one was a bit more...preachy. But sometimes, we need something preachy. I was reminded throughout to cast my cares on Jesus and that I may plant the seed, but God waters it. So, I came away encouraged to keep doing my best for Christ. The plot was okay, it just got a bit slow and wordy at times.
Sheila
Jun 28, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, religious
Yeah, ok, I'm a little scattered right now! I have 3 books going in 3 different genres! All very good...
Sue Mosher
Apr 07, 2015 rated it liked it
Pretty old fashioned but interesting to see how people thought back then.
Robbin
Jan 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, christian
I found this book in a stack of old books in an old storage shed I was cleaning out that belonged to my favorite grandmother. I looked at the cover and thought oh that may be interesting, I'll give it a try. After I started to read it I wondered about the author and looked her up. She was born in 1865 and passed away in 1947. I learned that she was a very popular author and that she wrote over 100 novels, short stories, and numerous articles as well. She led the way for the genre of Christian Ro ...more
Anna
Nov 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Celia is a worrier. In her defense, she has a lot to worry about. She is an orphan, recently separated from the only family she has ever known (her aunt Hannah) and sent out into the world to make her living as a salesgirl at a big-city department store. She lives in a terrible rundown boarding house, surrounded her fellow troubled and troublesome boarders, trying to survive on bad food and long hours at the store.
Her aunt, who has been retained by a niece as an unpaid babysitter and household
Julia
Mar 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Celia is a poor, orphaned young woman with a strong heart toward helping others for the Lord, and doing her duty in every small matter. She has just moved to Philadelphia to eek out a living at a ribbon-selling counter in a local store. Her cheap boardinghouse is dirty, poorly run, cold, and uninviting. Aunt Hannah, the one person who loves her, lives back home with a niece, where she is worked to the bone to care for the children and many household duties, and is barely treated as well as a sec ...more
Kelly
Dec 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: domesticity
The best GLH novels are the ones that you have to put down right in the middle of a sentence because you're inspired to go bake something, or clean something, or arrange rooms so they're cozy and homelike, all in order to love your family and do your duty well towards them.
Gypsi
This gentle Christian novel was one of Hill's earliest, and lacks the depth and maturity of those published later. It's still a pleasant read, and the details of early twentieth-century life were quite interesting.

Heather
Jun 09, 2019 rated it liked it
It was hard for me to get into but liked it in the end. Might try another book by the same author at a less crazy time of year!
Gwen Hopkins
An inspiring story of developing faith.

This is a good story for anyone who has felt dejected. It provides hope to work on improving ones self.
Ann Whitaker
Feb 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A old favorite

A birthday card from her aunt Hannah with a Bible verse is the start of a new adventure for Celia.
Terry Yaceyko
Love, love, love this story. Good spiritual content.
Rondi Olson
Apr 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There is no comparing this to a modern romance novel, Christian or otherwise, but there is something incredibly charming about a novel written over 100 years ago. Dreadful vices, including the wearing of excessive jewelry, theater attendance, and novel reading (hey, wait a minute, isn't this a novel?) are confronted with all the determined grace one would expect from someone living in the Victorian era. There were times the notions were so outdated I laughed out loud. Still, there is something r ...more
Jaimee Patton
Apr 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful Rags to Riches story, funny, amazing, classic.
Goodreads Librari...: Author Last Name Mispelled 2 16 Oct 07, 2013 05:15PM

• The White Lady
  • On Wings of Devotion (The Codebreakers, #2)
  • Strawberry Acres
  • An Hour Unspent (Shadows Over England, #3)
  • A Song Unheard (Shadows Over England, #2)
  • A Name Unknown (Shadows Over England, #1)
  • Ring of Secrets (The Culper Ring, #1)
  • The Red House Mystery
  • Red Pepper Burns
  • Whispers from the Shadows (The Culper Ring, #2)
  • The Ransom (Legacy of the King's Pirates, #4)
  • The Jewel of Gresham Green (Gresham Chronicles, #4)
  • A Lily in Disguise (Wycliffe Family, #1)
  • She Walks in Love (Protectors of the Spear, #2)
  • Throw Wide the Door
  • The Heart Hears: Kansas MacPhersons (MacPherson Brides Book 4)
  • The Weaver Takes a Wife (The "Weaver" series Book 1)
also wrote under the pseudonym Marcia MacDonald
also published under the name Grace Livingston Hill Lutz

A popular author of her day, she wrote over 100 novels and numerous short stories of religious and Christian fiction. Her characters were most often young female ingénues, frequently strong Christian women or those who become so within the confines of the story.

niece to Isabella MacDonald Alden