Start by marking “So You Want To Build a Library” as Want to Read:
So You Want To Build a Library

So You Want To Build a Library

There is no better place in the world than a library. Especially a library that kids create! A million stories high? Sure. Bathtubs? Absolutely. A full-service sundae bar? Of course. Everything is possible in this library--just like in books!

Author Lindsay Leslie puts the reader in charge as the architect of a fantastical library in this imaginative picture book celebrati
Expected publication: August 1st 2021 by Capstone Editions

To ask other readers questions about So You Want To Build a Library, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about So You Want To Build a Library

Start your review of So You Want To Build a Library
Tina
This is a children's book that I read to my twin boys. The picture of this book was so cute, and I have to say my boys laughed so much while I was reading this book. I loved the idea about a kids wanting to built a library. I just hate water and ice cream near books, but that is just the book lover in me coming out. I was kindly provided an e-copy of this book by the publisher (Capstone Editions) or author (Lindsay Leslie) via NetGalley, so I can give honest review about how I feel about this bo ...more
RoshReviews
Feb 16, 2021 rated it really liked it
A good story about a little girl who dreams of what she will keep in her library. Nothing stops her imagination and it shows in her wild fantasies. A good story for really young readers.
The illustrations are pretty cute.
Thank you, NetGalley and Capstone Editions, for the Advanced Review Copy of the book in exchange for an honest review.

Reviews Published

***********************
Join me on the Facebook group, Readers Forever! , for more reviews, book-related discussions and fun.
Follow me on Instagram: RoshRe
Mehsi
I received this book from Netgalley/publisher in exchange of an honest review.

Review to come July/August.
Iliana Matute
Feb 15, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Thanks to Netgally for giving me a copy of this adorable book to review.

My kids adored it is the kind of picture book that invites kids to read and the illustrations are just incredible 😍
In this picture book, a child's dream library is built to even include dragons and a waterslide...neither of which seems safe around books! But if you can build your own library (with the help of a giant), why not add all of your favorite things?

I like that this book promotes the love of libraries and reading. I just didn't feel that the book was anything that stood out from the rest. Furthermore, some of the additions to the library seem as though they would detract from reading, such as the pl
Amy Turner
Feb 16, 2021 rated it really liked it

Thanks to NetGalley for providing an arc in exchange for an honest review.

Wow! This book was absolutely beautiful!
I was attracted to this straight away because of the title, I mean who doesn’t want to build a library.

This book really keyed into the imagination of young children, the (beautiful) illustrations showed how children build their own worlds using found objects. What might seem to be a pile of random objects from an adult perspective is a rich and wonderful world in the eyes of a chi
Lauryn
Feb 18, 2021 rated it really liked it
So You Want To Build a Library is a children's book for ages 4-7. It follows a young child who dreams of all the wacky things they would do, if they were building a library! The read aloud time for this book is approximately between 5-10 minutes.

After reading this book, the first question you should ask yourself is... “Do I want to build a library?” Because the answer can only be “YES!” When you are being confronted by the possibilities of sundae bars, slides, and bath tubs in your library. The
Lana  Frances
Feb 16, 2021 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Parents of young children
Shelves: children-s-books
So You Want To Build A Library? ...Umm yeah! Only since I was a little wee lass! How could I not pick this book up?!

So You Want To Build A Library by Lindsay Leslie is an enjoyable and cute book that begins to describe wonders of the library to a young reader. It puts the reader in the driver's seat to build a library. The illustrations are cute and have everything kids (both big and small) could want. I'll take the unlimited sundae bar, please.

I enjoyed this book and as with most books I read
Sally
Feb 17, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Such a clever thought provoking book about architecture, design and imagination, boosted by bold bright and cheerful illustrations, by Aviel Basil.

A 2nd person POV picture-book to get you thinking about what could be involved in making a library and what you could have inside your library; your dream library. But also getting the reader thinking and making their own decisions on what they like and how things work. And generally thinking ‘outside of the box’, using their imagination to come up wi
Theediscerning
Feb 16, 2021 rated it liked it
Hmmm... Lively and fun look at a fantasy library, built with the help of fantasy characters and designed to contain all the fantasy elements a young reader might wish for in a library, but... I guess the circular design of the plot, and the second person narration ("you need this, you do that, you get the giant to do the other") will both work for the target audience, but they didn't make this feel quite so appealing to me. What it does do is brightly and colourfully prove that libraries are all ...more
Hasini | bibliosini
Many thanks to NetGalley, Capstone and the author for the advanced reader’s copy in exchange for my honest review.

Lindsay Leslie allows the reader to assemble a dream library in this gorgeously illustrated children's book. This is the type of book I would have carried around with me if I had read this when I was a kid. I would have probably followed the step-by-step instructions and built my own library by then too!

My favourite thing about So You Want To Build a Library is that it would inspire
Lindsey Lewis
Feb 20, 2021 rated it really liked it
If you got the chance to build your own library, what would you put it in? Books, of course, but what else? A giant comfy reading chair? A cozy little nook? Maybe a giant slide! So You Want to Build a Library explores just that concept. It is funny, imaginative, and bright. It would go great with a conversation about what your child would want in their dream library, as well as why some of the sillier ideas might not be such a good plan (an ice cream sundae booth sounds great until your books ge ...more
Missy Angus
Feb 19, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2021, netgalley
This beautiful book has fantastical ideas letting your imagination soar with plans for building your own magical library. This gorgeous book would be a wonderful addition to any home library, both children’s and adult’s. I adore stories about libraries and books. It is such a fun connection to reading.

It would have been nice to see just a few pages with ideas for kids to take their book collection (digital as well) and create their own home library without having to have TONS of stuff. Maybe cre
Rebecca Crunden
Feb 20, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
Every book - and library - is made better by dragons.

Well, obviously.

And don't forget about TEENY TINY NOOKS for teeny tiny fairies with their teeny tiny books.

Oh my goodness gracious, be still my heart! THIS BOOK.

Who hasn't dreamed of building their own library and filling it with floofy chairs, water slides, a bathtub, dragons, fairies and much, much more?! I, for one, am waiting for my own personal library to curl up in with my giant, dragon and fairy friends. *taps foot impatiently*

Anyways,
Kate
Feb 24, 2021 rated it liked it
This children's book is certainly lively and the title immediately appealed to both my children and I as we really enjoy reading. While my kids enjoyed the active nature of the book, I thought it was a bit too stimulating. I noticed they did get distracted at some points. I did not care for the second person narration and the writing itself wasn't especially unique. Instead of conveying why one would want to build a library, it seemed to excessively focus on everything they would add to the libr ...more
Colleen
Feb 18, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Debated between 4 and 5 stars. This book is for children. As a young reader, I loved the thought of having my own library. My brother didn't really like the idea of checking out books to borrow them. I wish I had envisioned writing a book as creative as this one!

Easy to read. Adorable. Beautiful and interesting pictures. Very creative.

Thank you to NetGalley, the publisher (Capstone Editions) and the author Lindsay Leslie for the opportunity to review this book in exchange for an honest review.
Georgia
Feb 19, 2021 rated it liked it
Cute book for young primary school-aged kids. The book is well illustrated with 1-2 short sentences per page. For the limited text, there is a lot of page-turning but the colourful pictures make it worthwhile.

It's lovely to witness the adventure the character goes on in order to create this perfect library. I enjoyed many aspects of the book but all in all felt it was quite average. I think children will enjoy it once but not necessarily want to keep revisiting it. As a result, it's the kind of
Alexanderia
Feb 15, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Thanks NetGalley for the arc! This was the cutest book! SO much fun to read and imagine building your own library. My toddler (3.5) was happy to go on this fun journey to build a library and fill it with all the stories and characters. I loved the cute illustrations and enjoyed reading the story aloud to her. I would love to build my own library and the big comfy chair was my dream reading chair. Highly recommend, would read over and over with delight!
Leslie
Feb 16, 2021 rated it it was amazing
So You Want To Build a Library by Lindsay Leslie is one of my favorite books of 2021! As a fellow book lover and library lover, I loved the imagery in the book and how it encourages children to read. This would be a great book book to read to children to introduce them to the library. It would be a great book to read in a classroom setting or a story time setting. Thank you to NetGalley and the Publisher for the opportunity to read this book. (This review is also on GoodReads.)
Hal
arc provided by the publisher via netgalley in exchange for an honest review

This little book was such a joy to flip through!

Each page had adorable illustrations and was super colourful which I know will attract any child’s eye! I really enjoyed the rhymes in this story and all of the added words that were silly and funny.

I really think kids are going to have a blast with this book. Hopefully it encourages them to start a library of their very own!

5/5⭐️
Skye
Feb 19, 2021 rated it it was amazing
This is a super cute story with great pictures and lots of imaginative details. I love the pattern of the story and how nicely it sets up opportunities to ask your children to predict what might come next - with some expected (and unexpected!) outcomes. This story also lends itself well to follow up activities for imagining their own special buildings. Would be a great addition to a home or classroom library.
Jill
Feb 23, 2021 rated it really liked it
**I received a free copy of this ebook from the publisher via NetGalley. All words and opinions about it are my own.**

I read this on my own while waiting in the car. I can’t wait to get home and read it with my children, teens and near-teens though they are. What a fun book to begin a discussion of “what kind of library/city/school/house would YOU build?” The illustrations are bright and playful, adding ideas galore to the words.
Jeanie
Feb 24, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
If you love books when you were very young, you probably enjoyed going to the library and getting more books. Maybe even dreamed of having your own library to organize and share your books with others.

What does it take to build a library? This colorful illustrated book on the love books and reading will stir up the imagination of your child. A enjoyable book to read!

A special thank you to Capstone and Netgalley for the ARC and the opportunity to post an honest review.
Jen
Feb 17, 2021 rated it really liked it
This is a fun picture book. The illustrations are very colorful and capture the eye. The characters are diverse, with the main girl and her family having darker skin and hair. I love that the book promotes reading, the library, and books. It is a little silly (roller-skating sloths! pie-baking snails!) and encourages kids to use their imagination by featuring giants, dragons, and fairies.
Mortisha Cassavetes
A cute book about a little girl who wants to build a huge library so she recruits all the fictional characters in her books to help her build one. What would you add to the library? Bright and colorful illustrations make this a wonderful read for kids of all ages. I highly recommend it. Thanks so much to #netgalley for the early review copy.
Shawna
Feb 22, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely adorable! This story is about a girl who imagines building her perfect library. It includes ladders, slides, and even a sundae bar! The writing is magical and the pages are colorful. Little readers will devour this book and will dream of their own perfect library. The possibilities are endless. I can see this book being read over and over again. Very enjoyable!
Nikki
Shelves: arc-reviews
So You Want to Build a Library was a fun and cheerful story for book loving kids. The artwork was cute, the ideas were quirky, and it had all the essentials (and more!) for an awesome children’s library!

It was a whimsical picture book that was enjoyable and light for young children.

Thank you to NetGalley and Capstone for the digital ARC in exchange for a review.
Danielle
Feb 16, 2021 rated it it was amazing
This is a cute and fun book for budding bibliophiles about creating a library of your very own. The illustrations are great and very engaging making this is a great read about for little ones.
Many thanks to Capstone Editions and NetGalley for the advance copy.
Melissa
Children will really enjoy this fantastic story of a girl building the object of her favorite interest and dreams. Fun, humorous, and colorful book!
Brenda Feinen
Shelves: 2021-netgalley
Who doesn't want to build a library? Especially with a dining room table and little brother?
Love all the pictures and colors. Lots of creative ideas. Great read.
A diary keeper, a journalism major, a public relations executive, now children's author—Lindsay Leslie has always operated in a world of written words. She likes to bring her unique outlook on life, quirky humor, and play with words to the page in picture books.

Lindsay is the author of THIS BOOK IS SPINELESS, NOVA THE STAR EATER, and DUSK EXPLORERS (Page Street Kids).

Lindsay lives with her husband

News & Interviews