Start by marking “Raving Fans: A Revolutionary Approach to Customer Service” as Want to Read:
Raving Fans: A Revolutionary Approach to Customer Service

Raving Fans: A Revolutionary Approach to Customer Service

Written in the parable style of The One Minute Manager, Raving Fans uses a brilliantly simple and charming story to teach how to define a vision, learn what a customer really wants, institute effective systems, and make Raving Fan Service a constant feature--not just another program of the month.

America is in the midst of a service crisis that has left a wake of disillusio
Published May 19th 1993 by William Morrow (first published May 19th 1992)

Start your review of Raving Fans: A Revolutionary Approach to Customer Service
Meri
Sep 15, 2007 rated it did not like it
Jerry Springer is less insulting to human intelligence. More useful as toilet paper.
Aaron
Aug 18, 2008 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: (sound of crickets)
Recommended to Aaron by: Employer Training Program
Not that I expected anything different, but this "revolutionary approach to customer service" is pretty simplistic. I admit that I read it as a requirement at work. There are three main lessons in the book and the rest is filler. Undoubtedly, the author began with a basic outline. That outline was then stolen by a rouge children's author who, then completed the story around it. "I did it as a joke... but they're going out like that". The three basic lessons are solid common sense concepts. For t ...more
John Speight
Jan 10, 2012 rated it did not like it
Do not buy this book. It is way too long, the narration is terrible and they spend way too much time talking about golf. The main points are, figure out what you want, find out what your customer wants (try and reconcile them) and then deliver plus 1% per week. There, I just saved you $20 bucks.
Michelle Johnson
Mar 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
I read Raving Fans as a supplemental text for a college, Principles of Customer Service course. I think it's funny that many reviewers have rated this book negatively based on its size and its simplification of the concept of good customer service.....that the ideas in this book are just common sense. And truthfully, they are just common sense....... And yet poor customer service has become a standard, that we've become accustomed to. We don't really expect anything above mediocre anymore.

Raving
Leah Good
Feb 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
The best way I can describe this book is ... It's a Wonderful Life married a customer service textbook, and they had a baby. I promise, that combination really does describe this book!

My boss at Chick-Fil-A mentioned that the company uses the "Raving Fan" approach to customer service. Curious, I Googled the term when I got home and found this book.

If you have an interest in business, want to know a piece of Chick-Fil-A's magic, and enjoy really quirky books ... this one is for you!

P.S. It's wor
Steven
Feb 27, 2014 rated it liked it
I've been reading a lot of fiction lately, so I decided to pepper in a "business" book.

Considering "Raving Fans" covers a compelling topic and is only 132 pages, I figured I'd read it.

One hour later and I'm finished and now writing this review.

It's a decent read. This book uses a narrative, third-person format to show the reader the benefits of employing the mindset of businesses with "Raving Fans." I rolled my eyes the first couple pages in when I realized the whole book was going to employ th
Cathy Allen
Mar 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
I no longer know whether I picked up this book and read it because I was irritated by the level of customer service I often get, or if my irritation is caused by learning from this book how ridiculously easy it is to provide good service. It's probably a cyclical thing. This I do know for sure: more than any book I've read in years I want to hand out copies of this one.... not in restaurants or grocery stores. Those folks tend to provide good service. I want to hand it out at the hospital, at th ...more
Dale Meyer-curley
Nov 03, 2014 rated it liked it
Continuing my pattern of comparing books to others, Raving Fans is "The Five People you Meet in Heaven" combined with "The Celestine Prophecy."

This is sooo a book of the 90s, where we had epiphanies about things we should already know as common sense, but weren't utilizing. That said, the advice still standsand I found myself having "A-ha" moments.

I was asked to read his for work, as part of an improvement initiative. I think this book, a quick read, is a good place to start for improvement. I d
Jesse
Mar 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
This super fast read is still very relevant in today's market place. Applicable to many aspects of life outside of running a business.

Blanchard drives home his points by using plot and in depth examples of how to create "raving fans".

For the 2 hours it takes to get through this, it is well worth the time.
Jeff Raymond
Jul 09, 2010 rated it did not like it
God, management books are terrible. If you need a book to help you manage...
Amber
Dec 09, 2011 rated it did not like it
I had to read it for work, a fairy tale story with impossible expectations of customer service.
Bernie Sotola
Dec 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book should be required reading for everyone in customer service. (And everyone is in customer service.) It’s a quick and easy read. I give it 5 out of 5 “Charlie’s.”

Here are some key takeaways:

All good customer service is the result of systems.

Roll out the red carpet. Satisfied customers just aren’t good enough.

Everyone from the original purchasing agent to the end-user is a customer and your vision had better include every single one of them or you’ll never create Raving Fans.

Train your
Sam
Jan 02, 2019 rated it liked it
Kenneth H. Blanchard and Sheldon Bowles write a parable about customer service, using a fictional area manager's meeting with a golf-playing fairy godmother of customer service named "Charlie". The audiobook is read by Rick Adamson, Kate Borges, and John Mollard, and it includes music as well as ambient noise during different scenes. The three secrets of customer service include: create your vision customer-centered; ask your customers what they want, to match their real expectations with your v ...more
Dean Harrington
Jan 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
Quick, fable-styled telling of the importance of customer service. The tale is a bit idealistic, if not mystical and perhaps unrealistic but it unlocks the vision of what true customer service needs to look like, where it needs to begin and what it needs to accomplish. A real perception changer.

I'd recommend it to recent college grads heading into the job interview process. It would give them a real leg-up on assessing potential employers and provide them with meaningful talking-points of their
Ramona
Feb 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Easy to read. Good vision, advice and direction.
Bridgette
Jan 20, 2018 rated it it was ok
Fairy godmother of customer service?? I liked the meat of the story but wish it had been wrote more on an adult level .
Joy Pouros
Oct 23, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
Oh boy. I don't know why I did this to myself. I once had a boss who LOVED this book, so when I found a copy cheap I thought I'd see what the fuss is about.

This book is a mere 130 pages. Yet there is so little content that the font is large and the top and bottom margins are HUGE. This is a fast read, which is its most redeeming quality.

Yet even with the huge margins and large font, there is still so little information that it has to be given to us in this longwinded story about a fairy godmothe
Joshua
Oct 26, 2020 rated it did not like it
If it wasn't for the fact that the 3 secrets to "Raving Fans" made sense, I would have given this zero stars if possible. The story is so simplified, a child could easily read this. The depth of thought simply is not there - and the worst part is, you can tell it is trying to be serious. The fictitious story approach simply does not work with business lessons as it often trivializes the whole thing as there is nothing tangible to back this up. On top of that, if you're even going to go that rout ...more
Jessa Allen
Feb 10, 2013 rated it liked it
My manager asked everyone in the department I work in to read this book. At first glance it's a short read with large font and lots of whitespace, so I knew it wouldn't take long to finish and I wasn't opposed to reading it. By any means though, I wasn't excited to read it. I read a lot, 95% of the time it is fiction. I was a little worried that this would be dull and like I was back in school again.

I was pleasantly surprised that they incoroprated their lessons in a cute little story about an A
Kevin Wunder
Sep 17, 2010 rated it really liked it
Is customer service a dying art? It might be.

When was the last time that you had a really great experience as a consumer? What did you do after? Who did you tell?

I love the premise of this book; "satisfied customers aren't enough...you have to create raving fans".

Ken Blanchard shares (in a very anecdotal way) some very compelling principles about creating and maintaining amazing customer experiences. The book will definitely challenge the way that you currently look at the customer experience
Patty
This book was recommended to me by someone on synod council. Blanchard is an expert at coming up with succinct ways to look at a topic. He has books on change, customer service and (apparently) golf, that look for very basic concepts - 2 or 3 at most.

Blanchard then takes these 2-3 topics and wraps them in an interesting story. The story is supposed to (in my opinion) capture the reader's attention and make the concepts easy to remember.

Raving Fans does this well. There are 3 concepts that the ne
Reader
Mar 15, 2009 rated it it was amazing
If you are a boss or teacher, I think this story will help inspire you to understand what it takes to get the most from your organization or classroom. "Going above and beyond" is a theme left behind in today's me-first society, but leaders and teachers who are willing to take the extra step will still get the extra results that are waiting for them. Excellent ideas, examples and applications can be found in these pages. ...more
CP
Sep 01, 2015 rated it it was ok
Most of this is common sense - for those who understand the importance of excellent customer service. I think we have all seen our fair share of people that will never get it. However, the important bullet points of this book could fill a pamphlet, so the authors had to spread this out with several characters and so much talk of golf in order to sell a book. (And really, do business professionals only have one hobby?) Overall, I still think it is worth a bookstore/library perusal.
Rob McGrory
Aug 30, 2018 rated it did not like it
Absolute drivel. Overexaggerated concepts that would NEVER work in real life. For example, a department store with daycare services, pinning carnations on everyone who comes in, a supermarket where they have consultants who plug your shopping list into the computer to help you save money and pick a healthy diet. Valet parking at that same supermarket? AND they have competitive prices?
Plus ZERO mention of treating employees better which would lead to better customer service.
Angela
Sep 28, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
Super cheesy but delivers a good message. People complain that the information is too simple and that everyone should already know this, and yet customer service often sucks, plain and simple. This is over twenty years old, and I can still think of a ton of companies who need it.
Matt
Jan 24, 2008 rated it did not like it
Very simply written book that I didn't embrace. Had a character who was some guy's 'fairy god mother of service' ...more
Ethan
May 29, 2008 rated it did not like it
Shelves: business
This book is crap, don't waste your time on it. ...more
Michelle
This is a quick read...but a little corny. There are three main points to the book in regards to customer service. They are good points- but I could have done without all of the filler.
Niko
Feb 23, 2011 rated it it was ok
The overall concept is inspiring however the fairy book format was insulting. The ideas presented within could've been summed up on 3 triple spaced pages. ...more
Jill Morrison
Oct 23, 2011 rated it did not like it
Shelves: business
I'm about half way through and so far it's as cheesy a book as that one about the stupid mice. Seriously? Put it into an email, bullet-form, and save a tree. ...more

• Fish!: A Remarkable Way to Boost Morale and Improve Results
  • The Fred Factor: How passion in your work and life can turn the ordinary into the extraordinary
  • Good to Great: Why Some Companies Make the Leap... and Others Don't
  • The Present: The Secret to Enjoying Your Work and Life, Now!
  • QBQ! The Question Behind the Question: Practicing Personal Accountability in Work and in Life
  • The (7L) The Seven Levels of Communication: Go From Relationships to Referrals
  • The Five Dysfunctions of a Team: A Leadership Fable
  • Our Iceberg Is Melting: Changing and Succeeding Under Any Conditions
  • The 8th Habit: From Effectiveness to Greatness
  • Who Moved My Cheese?
  • Little Red Book of Selling: 12.5 Principles of Sales Greatness
  • How Full Is Your Bucket?
  • First Things First
  • Principle-Centered Leadership
  • Now, Discover Your Strengths: The revolutionary Gallup program that shows you how to develop your unique talents and strengths
  • Zapp! The Lightning of Empowerment: How to Improve Quality, Productivity, and Employee Satisfaction
  • InSideOut Coaching: How Sports Can Transform Lives
  • The One Minute Sales Person: The Quickest Way to Sell People on Yourself, Your Services, Products, or Ideas--at Work and in Life
Ken Blanchard, one of the most influential leadership experts in the world, is the coauthor of the iconic bestseller, The One Minute Manager, and 60 other books whose combined sales total more than 21 million copies. His groundbreaking works have been translated into more than 27 languages and in 2005 he was inducted into Amazon’s Hall of Fame as one of the top 25 bestselling authors of all time.

News & Interviews