Start by marking “About Behaviorism” as Want to Read:
About Behaviorism

About Behaviorism

3.95  ·  Rating details ·  679 Ratings  ·  26 Reviews
Ships from USA. Will take 25-35 days
Published February 12th 1976 by Vintage (first published 1974)

To ask other readers questions about About Behaviorism, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about About Behaviorism

Corey
May 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
As a doctoral candidate in behavior analysis, I thoroughly enjoyed this book. Skinner provides several gems throughout the text that I think I would have missed in my earlier days of studying radical behaviorism. In other words, Skinner often says a lot in a few words. My favorite aspect of this book is Skinner's list of myths and misconceptions about behaviorism which he addresses throughout his writing. Unfortunately, many of these myths and misconceptions are alive and well today. That being ...more
Glen
Nov 09, 2007 rated it liked it
If I were to rate this book on how much I learned I would give it 5 stars. Unfortunately, reading dry behaviorist lingo led me to 3 star enjoyment. I will probably read Skinner again because the behaviorism theory is applicable to manipulating change in many aspects of life. Much more useful than reading Freud.
Aleisha  Zolman
Jul 11, 2011 rated it really liked it
found this book at DI for $1. knowing that i am fundamentally a behaviorist at heart, i picked this book up wondering if the source material matched my intuition and actual practice of behavior management that i use in school and on a lesser scale for myself. i found many examples of brilliance and parallel beliefs. for example, i love his rant on intuition vs. reason, explaining that you can certainly act on intuition without knowing the reasons why you are doing/rules that you are following. ( ...more
Riana
Feb 25, 2011 rated it it was amazing
i read this book as part of a class on radical behaviorism. the class was excellently taught, and i can say it was one of two classes i have taken in my entire college time that changed the way i see the world.

the book is accessible, but also very dense - i am sure that if i had read it by myself, i would have missed out on much of the meaning and many implications.

i feel fortunate that i got to learn so much from reading this exceptional book.
Jessica
Feb 23, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: for-school
Skinner has interesting takes on things like emotion, but ultimately, he's very repetitive and likes to attribute everything to "contingencies." It's borderline amusing how often he uses that word--just don't make a drinking game out of it.
Drew
Aug 30, 2009 rated it it was ok
This guy knows how to ramble on and on...
Clare Tissiman connolly
Lots of interesting information but a bit wordy I could have got a higher star rating if it was easier to read but unfortunately it suffered for it.
Jonathan-David Jackson
I picked this up thinking it would be about interesting behavioral experiments (like Pavlov's dogs and other salivating animals), but it was instead the driest book I've ever read. I accept that Mr. Skinner knows what he's talking about, but I hardly had any idea of it, and a quarter of the way through the book and after many Zen koans such as (paraphrased) "A man goes to a party not because he feels like going, rather, he feels like going because he goes," I admitted defeat.
Camigo
Sep 24, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
at times it was pretty interesting, but sometimes it was so boring...
Sehar  Moughal
Dec 08, 2013 rated it liked it
I respect Skinner and his work. He has done so much for the field of behaviorism. However, there were a few ideas in this book that I just could not stomach. Such as: God does not exist. I was very disappointed that my hero had shunned God. So I asked Google. Turns out, it may be a personal thing. I can live with that.

Anyway, this should not be your first choice of reading if you are very new to the field. Or know next to nothing about behaviourism. Not because of conflicting ideas (and you'll
Carly
Mar 17, 2010 rated it it was ok
This book was not really what I expected, and neither do i feel that I have a better understanding of behaviorism after reading it. I feel like this book was a response to criticisms of behaviorism, and spent a lot of time comparing behaviorism to other theories...but that I couldn't give a more detailed explanation of behaviorism (no more than what I had in my mind before I read this book.

Franklin Teixeira
Dec 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
Famoso livro de Skinner sobre comportamentalismo. Ele trata de forma objetiva o desenvolvimento dos processos comportamentais, apresentando suas teorias de forma lógica e perspicaz. Apesar do estudo do assunto ter avançado desde a época de suas publicações, ainda é um texto bem relevante, e muito do que ele infere é compatível com outras obras que li referentes ao estudo da natureza humana.
Tiffany Wilbourn
Oct 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
Sooo much better than Verbal Behavior and much more readable! A great read to learn more about behavior analysis. Whether you have a behavioristic view or not, Skinner had a brilliant mind and was very articulate.
Natasha
Jun 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book definitely served an interesting perspective on things from the first chapter about the causes of behavior to the last. It was insightful and quite enjoyable. If you are looking for more insight on Behavior, this would be among the first books I would recommend to you.
Leegjiang
Apr 15, 2014 marked it as to-read
I like this book very much.
Shane
Mar 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Love Skinner, love behaviorism, love his writing style. Not as fun as Walden II, but this is a necessary book if you are interested in "inside the box" thinking. haha.
Safety Pat
Aug 02, 2016 rated it did not like it
Early ABA propoganda by the man who put his baby daughter in his Skinner Box invention.
Nikos Bar
Jan 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
A great introduction to behaviorism.
Earth to Erving
May 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: psychology
This book was amazing. It was medium grade as far as complexity and some of the concepts are repeated throughout thoroughly so that by the end of the book, you get them.
Jay Brand
In my view, the most succinct, accessible yet comprehensive introduction to B. F. Skinner's psychology of behavior.
Cburke
Oct 23, 2013 added it
Much clearer than Beyond Freedom & Dignity. Would jump to this one, and just avoid the other all together.
Michael Mcclanahan
May 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
Must read if ones wants to understand how the education system shapes its thinking.
Karen
Feb 18, 2011 rated it it was amazing
A great primer for those new to the field.
Oderay Alonso sancho-davila
Ethan
Mar 23, 2014
  • The Psychology of the Child
  • Applied Behavior Analysis
  • The Behavior Code: A Practical Guide to Understanding and Teaching the Most Challenging Students
  • Brainstorms: Philosophical Essays on Mind and Psychology
  • How to Think Like a Behavior Analyst: Understanding the Science That Can Change Your Life
  • Identity and the Life Cycle
  • Mirrors in the Brain: How Our Minds Share Actions and Emotions
  • Practical Intelligence: The Art and Science of Common Sense
  • The Freud/Jung Letters
  • Toilet Training in Less Than a Day
  • Sleep Paralysis: Night-mares, Nocebos, and the Mind-Body Connection (Studies in Medical Anthropology)
  • Touching the Rock: An Experience of Blindness
  • Why God Won't Go Away: Brain Science and the Biology of Belief
  • The Principles of Psychology, Vol 1
  • The Birth of the Mind: How a Tiny Number of Genes Creates The Complexities of Human Thought
  • Why Life Speeds Up as You Get Older: How Memory Shapes Our Past
  • Conditioned Reflexes
  • The Naked Brain: How the Emerging Neurosociety is Changing How We Live, Work, and Love
Burrhus Frederic Skinner was a highly influential American psychologist, author, inventor, advocate for social reform and poet. He was the Edgar Pierce Professor of Psychology at Harvard University from 1958 until his retirement in 1974. He invented the operant conditioning chamber, innovated his own philosophy of science called Radical Behaviorism, and founded his own school of experimental resea ...more
More about B.F. Skinner

• The Second World War
    $12.99 $3.99
  • Dewey: The Small-Town Library Cat Who Touched the World
    $11.24 $1.99
  • I Am Not Myself These Days (P.S.)
    $13.24 $1.99
    $12.99 $2.99
  • The Storm of War: A New History of the Second World War
  • Creativity: Flow and the Psychology of Discovery and Invention
    $10.49 $1.99
  • Requiem for the American Dream: The 10 Principles of Concentration of Wealth & Power
    $16.99 $3.99
  • Dear Madam President: An Open Letter to the Women Who Will Run the World
    $12.99 $3.99
  • The Recovering: Intoxication and Its Aftermath
    $15.99 $3.99
  • Theft by Finding: Diaries (1977-2002)
    $14.99 $2.99
  • Through My Eyes
    $13.99 $1.99
  • A Brief History of Everything
    $14.99 $2.99
  • The World's Religions, Revised and Updated (Plus)
  • Leonardo's Notebooks
  • Leaving Church: A Memoir of Faith
  • Eating on the Wild Side: The Missing Link to Optimum Health
  • Love, Ellen: A Mother/Daughter Journey
    $10.24 $1.99
  • Secret Historian: The Life and Times of Samuel Steward, Professor, Tattoo Artist, and Sexual Renegade
  • Thinkertoys: A Handbook of Creative-Thinking Techniques
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Saving Alex: When I Was Fifteen I Told My Mormon Parents I Was Gay, and That's When My Nightmare Began
    $9.49 $1.99
  • Walden on Wheels: On the Open Road from Debt to Freedom
    $5.99 $1.99
“Compare two people, one of whom has been crippled by an accident, the other by an early environmental history which makes him lazy and, when criticized, mean. Both cause great inconvenience to others, but one dies a martyr, the other a scoundrel.” 1 likes