Start by marking “Where the Truth Lies” as Want to Read:
Where the Truth Lies

Where the Truth Lies

When a teenaged girl disappears from an insular small town, all of the community’s most devastating secrets come to light in this stunningly atmospheric and slow-burning suspense novel—perfect for fans of Megan Miranda and Celeste Ng.

The town of Whistling Ridge guards its secrets.

When seventeen-year-old Abigail goes missing, her best friend Emma, compelled by the guilt of
Expected publication: August 3rd 2021 by Atria Books

To ask other readers questions about Where the Truth Lies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Where the Truth Lies

Start your review of Where the Truth Lies
James
Mar 06, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Where the Truth Lies by Anna Bailey was a random pick from NetGalley last month. I had seen it listed in a few places and watched it being promoted a lot, so I read the description. I liked the concept and was in need of a good thriller. It ended up being more of a suspense novel with a horribly caustic group of characters that incited major emotions in me. I definitely enjoyed the book and will be reading more by this author in the future.

Small town full of racists, homophobes, bigots, abusers,
Carolyn
Sometimes novels set in small towns have warm, loving communities where kind hearted people offer a helping hand to those in need. This is not one of those. The town of Whistling Ridge seethes with resentment, prejudice and long held grudges. At the centre of it all is the First Baptist Church and its minister, Pastor Lewis whose racist and homophobic rants fill his community with a righteousness that allows them to harm others who don't conform to their white, protestant view of the world.

The
Nilufer Ozmekik
Feb 25, 2021 rated it really liked it
Intense, dark, claustrophobic atmosphere of town chokeholds you! Those multiple well described, deeply embellished characters slowly move under your skin and grasp your soul, haunt you down!

Original title of the book is Tall Bones and now it’s gonna be releasing with a new name: “Where the truth lies” which is more convenient name for the story.

This book is true definition of depression and bleakness! A haunted, soul crushing, sad thriller story of a town’s missing souls who are trapped in w
Amanda
Dec 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Emma leaves her best friend Abigail in the woods. When Abigail is declared missing Emma feels she is to blame for leaving her and tries to investigate what happened that night.

Set in a small town where everybody knows everyone’s business, it soon becomes apparent that secrets are being held back and everyone has their own opinions of what has happened to Abigail.

I was completely gripped by this mystery, having read several missing children stories lately, I was surprised that this book kept me
Tina
Feb 18, 2021 marked it as to-be-review
This is a Thriller/Suspense/Mystery. I am very lucky to win an ARC Copy of this book from a goodreads giveaway, and I will post an honest review as soon as I finish reading this book. I just got my copy in the mail today, and I am excited to start it very soon.
Mary
Dec 30, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
* the writing was really good, it reminded me of Gillian Flynn
* the plot felt chaotic and convoluted at times and i got confused with the large cast of characters
* the Romanian character was a surprise
* trigger warnings for homophobia, physical abuse
* i think it could have been more polished, but overall i liked it
Denise
Mar 01, 2021 rated it liked it
As they say, “Into every life, a little rain must fall.” Well, here I am to be the little gray rain cloud in the midst of all the early, bright and sunny 4 and 5-star reviews, as while I think this debut author has much promise, this book just didn’t wow me for a number of reasons.

It had all the marks of a book right up my alley – A teenage girl disappears from a small town, and before long all of the town’s most devastating secrets come to light. When seventeen-year-old Abigail goes missing, h
Jules
Feb 21, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is absolutely brilliant! And it’s brilliant partly because it was written by a 24 year old who is British but it is written with so much wisdom & it is so beautifully atmospheric that you’d think it was written by a native of small town America. I’m also not generally a fan of adolescent fiction because I find it often quite childish, but this felt much more grown up to me.

A truly 5 star read & highly recommended.
Liz Barnsley
Dec 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Tall Bones was an immediately absorbing and beautifully written psychological drama, Anna Bailey creates a group dynamic of intriguing, multi layered characters within an atmospheric small town setting, where a girl goes missing and everyone’s secrets and prejudices start to bubble to the surface.

I found it entirely enthralling, the haunting undertone really has an impact. This is not your standard whodunnit or what happened, although of course all that gets answered, but is more an insightful a
Holly
Feb 27, 2021 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2021, netgalley
This one is a hard review because the whole book was depressing. Nothing about this story is good. Racism, homophobia, abuse.....nonstop. This backwater town was not up to today’s standards. A missing girl and the only one that seems to care is her best friend, Emma. Probably the only good person in this entire book. None of the characters did anything to stop the violence within in this town, only perpetuated the awful acts. Everyone had secrets, everyone did something awful, & I did not like a ...more
megs_bookrack
I love to support debut authors, so when I was asked if I wanted an early copy of Anna Bailey's Thriller debut, I said, absolutely.

Then I read the synopsis...

This sounds so freaking good! Thank you so much, Atria Books. I am super excited to get to this!
hollie
Now, this was just not a book for me, which, initially, I didn't expect to rate it this low because the premise had such promise and is usually something I would love. Small towns, disappearances,a mystery. Yes please! But this book fell short to me in many ways.

THE PLOT:
As I said, I expected to get really immersed in this book and it just didn't happen. The book was slow first of all. Not like reasonably slow but like slower than how my Grandma drives and I honestly found it eye-watering. Nothi
Alison Alice-May
Set in a small town in America, the tall bones of the title bear witness to a lot of gossip, secrets, pent up anger, resentment, bigotry and so much hatred it’s a wonder they are still standing. The town seems to be ruled over by the powerful, dreadful, fire and brimstone preacher called Pastor Lewis. His God is an evil God who preaches fire, pain and judgemental bigotry. He encourages the whole town to follow him in his controlling behaviour.

This wasn’t an easy book to read. Some of the things
Angela Watt
Jan 16, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2021
I'm having a great start to my 2021 reading year.

Tall Bones by Anna Bailey is exactly the sort of book you want on cold grey January days. It hooks you in, and you'd like nothing more than to sit down and just keep reading. Sadly, this wasn't an option for me, but I did gallop through, carving out chunks of time so I could unfurl the mystery of what had happened to Abi when she disappeared into the woods never to be seen again.

It's a book of secrets. Everyone has a secret and could have been in
4cats
Dec 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Set in small town America this debut novel peels away the layers of what it's like to live in a place which has closer ties to the 1950's than the present Told through multiple characters with the narrative moving between the past and now this literary crime novel shows us the difficulties faced in living and growing up in small town America, it's certainly not as many would imagine it to be.

When a young woman, Abigale Blake goes missing, her friend Emma blames herself for her friend's disappear
4cats
Dec 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Review to follow
Dan Bassett
Feb 03, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When seventeen year old Emma leaves her best friend Abi at a party in the woods, she believes that their lives are finally beginning. Many things will happen, but seeing Abi again is not one of them...
Abi’s disappearance begins as the tiniest fracture on a mirror that slowly and sinisterly starts to rupture, crack, and could end up shattering...
Whistling Ridge is home to people of many different backgrounds, and this multifaceted story shows both the aftermath of Abi’s sudden departure, and also
Eilidh
”Guilt is a hard body to bury, no matter how many times you might claim God forgives you. You let some things fester long enough, they grow teeth and claws and crawl their way back to the surface again.”

Tall Bones is a slow burn crime mystery with the author dropping crumbs and sowing seeds rousing intrigue and curiosity throughout. It’s well written with engaging prose with moments of excellent imagery and metaphors that lingered in the mind.

At the heart of Tall Bones is the Blake family, and w
Paromjit
Anna Bailey's beautifully written, haunting debut novel focusing on a American small town, Whistling Ridge, bursting with gossip, resentments, secrets, rage, lost dreams and hopes, judgements, bigotry, a pent up mass of hatred that revolves around the central place of the First Baptist Church. The Tall Bones, a local landmark, are a tall circle of white rocks. Its powerful hell, fire and brimstone preacher, Pastor Lewis's God and religion is far from compassion, love and kindness, it does not we ...more
Aisha
Apr 06, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tall Bones 👩🏻‍🦰
By Anna Bailey

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

#Ad #Gifted
#TallBones
#TallBonesReadalong

⛪️ Tall Bones is a thriller set in Whistling Ridge, a small town in Colorado with a tyrannical, racist and homophobic pastor at the head of the small minded and brainwashed townsfolk many of whom seem to hold dark and fragile secrets. 18 year old Abigail Blake has gone missing. Her friend Emma last saw her in the woods by the tall bones with some guys. Abigail’s family are falling apart at the hands of their cruel fa
Fay Flude
Apr 01, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Come to Whistling Ridge, small town America, with big personalities who promote small mindedness with devastating consequences. Want to be part of an angry, religious mob incited to violence? Likely to visit in real life? No way! But between the pages of a book Tall Bones captures the very essence of a closed community which hides behind a veneer of respectability whilst actively allowing all manner of atrocities within families and the church to play out in violent, abusive ways.
There is litera
elles. bookshelf
Tall Bones is set in a small American town called Whistling Ridge, where cracks in society begin to show following the disappearance of teenager Abi Blake. The plot follows her best friend Emma who is desperate to discover the truth, as well as the Blake family and an outsider named Rat.

It took me a while to get into this book and I found the pace quite slow, until this picked up about half way through. I do feel this is a slow burning plot and liked how Bailey developed the characters throughou
Donna Hines
First and foremost I must say, "Thank you" to Atria Books for this Granted Wish via NetGalley as it was on my radar from day one.
As a debut this was spectacular and the author Anna Bailey should be quite thrilled with the outcome.
Where The Truth Lies was originally titled," Tall Bones" and centers upon small town politics and problems.
Whether it's homophobia, religious persecutions and or hypocrisy of the church in Whistling Ridge- a town in which Abigail walked to the woods to meet someone resu
Kat
Feb 22, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the story of a missing girl Abigail who is from a from a small town called Whistling Ridge and her friend Emma who is living with the guilt of leaving Abigail to go off in the woods to meet up with someone never to be seen again.
This book is so much more than just the mystery of a missing girl it’s a story of small town bigotry and secrets all fuelled by a pastor who preaches fire and brimstone and it’s a compelling and very disturbing read at times.
Told from two different timelines then
Rebecca Phillips
Whistling Ridge, the town where no one would want to live.

This book is a masterpiece.

Emma leaves friend Abigail in the woods, near the Tall Bones, following a party. She goes missing and no one seems to know what happened to her.

Secrets start to come out in this small town. No one can be trusted. We read about Abigail's family life with father Samuel, mother Dolly and brothers Noah and Jude. It seems like a horrible life to be living.

Whistling Ridge is wholly a Baptist community and it seems as
Erin McElwee
Apr 05, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow, what a rollercoaster! How can I not give this five stars when I read it one day.

It was beautifully written and kept me turning the pages until I found out what happened. I needed to finish this before I went to bed, I was that hooked.

This was not a light hearted read and would advise this does come with some rather large triggers including abuse, racism, homophobia and paedophilia. Some reviews included descriptions of ‘tender’ and I’m struggling to see that. In some parts I could see if
Mandy
Apr 03, 2021 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5- Emma leaves her best friend Abi in the woods one night at Abi’s request, thinking she will see her the next day as normal. But Emma never sees Abi again and she is declared missing. The whole town is talking about it and everyone is desperate to know what has happened and has their own opinion.

The setting of this was great, a small town where everyone knows everyone (or thinks they do.) We are introduced to a number of characters who all seem to be hiding something and we are left trying t
Georgette
Feb 20, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Wow. Great stuff. Dark, disturbing, family drama in a town that makes Twin Peaks look like a circus. Highly recommended
Ariele
Feb 05, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Haunting, compelling characters doing messed up things because they've been messed up, in a small town in Colorado that feels like it's RIGHT NOW. Can't wait for everyone to read this one! ...more
Louise Pharo
Jan 14, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A haunting psychological thriller that will have you fully immersed. After reading the synopsis I must admit it reminded me of Pretty Little Liars which was the main reason it intrigued me but it felt different. There wasn't so many twists and turns although the way it was all wrapped up at the end did leave me shocked.

But this book was so much more than that, it was atmospheric. Set in a small town riddled with secrets and prejudices and where everyone knew everyone and the church seemed to dom
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• The Lamplighters
  • Madame Burova
  • The Midnight Library
  • The Favour
  • Miecz przeznaczenia (Saga o Wiedźminie, #0.7)