Start by marking “Type Talk at Work: How the 16 Personality Types Determine Your Success on the Job” as Want to Read:

In Type Talk, two renowned psychological consultants offered the first layman's version of the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI). Here, they take Typewatching to the workplace and reveal how managers, executives, and workers can use the technique to better handle both personal and personnel matters.
Paperback, Revised and Updated (10th Anniversary Edition), 400 pages
Published July 30th 2002 by Delta (first published December 1st 1991)

Start your review of Type Talk at Work: How the 16 Personality Types Determine Your Success on the Job
Matt
Mar 14, 2018 rated it liked it
Interesting but dry reading. I looked at my type and then skimmed some others. I think it would be great to read if you knew everyone else's type where you work. If you don't know their type then you're guessing. All in all I was hoping for more from this book.
Cass -  Words on Paper
Apr 13, 2016 marked it as did-not-finish
DNF at 120 pages. I love reading about the different personality types but I found everything a bit too generalised, simple and they pigeon-holed people far too much. The examples of how they helped others with Typewatching also felt fake in my opinion. Anyway, I'm happy to stop reading this and move on to something with more substance.
David Baer
May 05, 2019 rated it liked it
Truth is I merely skimmed this book, looking for the bits that pertained to my personality type, either directly or in how it relates to other types.

The promise of understanding one's fellow creatures is a lofty one. And let us not neglect the promise of understanding oneself. For example, as a "Thinker", "it's not beyond [me] to argue both sides in a discussion simply to expand your intellectual horizons".

Let's take that little nugget: it is typical of what put me off of reading the whole book
Michaela
Jun 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
The Myers-Briggs isn't a scientifically valid test, but this book helps remind us of differences in preferences and perceptions in the workplace. We don't get to choose our co-workers, just like we don't get to choose our relatives, so it's helpful to consider things from other people's perspectives, understand your own blind spots, and build tolerance.
Deepika Tunikoju
Jun 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Very interesting book on personality types and why we behave in certain ways and why we enjoy certain tasks more than others. Helped me understand what changes I have to make in my choices at work and home related to communication and type of work and way of executing work to reach my goals.
Lisa Smith
A solid resource (even thought it's a bit dated)
Mariska Davids
Jun 28, 2018 rated it liked it
Overall a nice view into people's personalities but a little too black and white for my taste. Also the later chapters are very repetitive.
Fullfaun Faun
Aug 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great explanations
C.J. Capen
Dec 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I found this book very helpful in team building and managing groups.
Brian Kramp
Dec 31, 2018 rated it liked it
While it had some great info for my ISTJ (Life's natural organizers), it had terrible info on INFP (making life kinder and gentler), for my wife.
Lauren Canaday
Mar 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
A bit dated but still very interesting -- and helpful mostly. I would give 3.5 stars if I could.
Paula Smith
i like to read about the different types of personalities so that i can know how to deal with people on the level of identities and successes.
Sue
Dec 31, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: self-dev
Based on the Myers Briggs Type Inventory, this book focuses particularly on how to identify the various types in the people we work with. This can be useful in helping us understand why other people sometimes see a situation so differently to us, and may react to it, or decide to deal with it, in a surprising way.

It begins by helping the reader decide which of the sixteen types fits them best. The authors then explain that the different types will vary in the way they take in information and the
Rob
Jul 27, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: nonfiction, business
This book was highly recommended to me by a senior manager who was a huge fan of Myers Briggs, in particular to be successful in business. He himself was a very successful salesman (so by extension is good with people in a certain kind of way), so I figured it would be worthwhile to check it out.

I found the book intellectually interesting, but not actionable. Going through it I actually went around to colleagues to ask them for their MB types (I believe I was ENTJ). I wrote those types down. I r
Sara
Oct 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
A good supplement to Type Talk, the first book on this subject by Kroeger and Thuesen (for my thoughts on Type Talk, click here. My criticisms of that book apply here as well.). It has a lot of the same information that Type Talk has, but it expands on that, and includes enough new information and content to make reading this book for its own sake worth it. It has descriptions for each type that are completely different from the more general profiles given in the first book. It also includes lot ...more
Barry Davis
Feb 16, 2016 rated it liked it
An interesting resource on applying the styles of the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI) in the workplace. The book begins with an introduction to “typewatching,” as well as a list of the 10 commandments for using the information appropriately. Chapters on applying the information focus on topics like goal setting, conflict resolution, team building and sales. The authors do a solid job of explaining the limitations of “filing” people under a certain “type,” while providing some practical inform ...more
Lisa
Aug 23, 2011 rated it really liked it
This was amazingly insightful into different personality types. I found the description of "me" as an ISTJ to be 90% accurate and my workgroup peers seemed to feel their type also accurately described them. The best part is learning how to better interact with other personality types. Too bad this isn't required reading when we are younger so we can apply the lessons before we've butted heads, burned bridges, and irritated others...repeatedly.
Tiffany
Jan 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I have a much greater appreciation of the power of personality types as a result of reading this book. I came to this book with a moderate level of experience with MBTI. I understand the different type indicators at a surface level. I've taken several MBTI assessments and have set through several MBTI debrief sessions but now I feel like I can truly leverage these experiences. This is a very practical book for those in marketplace leadership roles.
Eva
Sep 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Discovering myself and all my co-workers in here!

There are antiquated assumptions to chuckle over (like: integrating the "secretary pool" into decision making for a female perspective) but it's originally published in 1991 and their data sets are giant stereotypical US companies, so one can see past that.

It's also good at reminding everyone that most humans are too complex for type casting.
Dave Wheatley
Jun 15, 2008 rated it really liked it
If you're a fan of the MBTI (Meyers-Briggs Type Indicator) and want to know how those types manifest in the modern workplace, give this book a try. The back part of the book is organized like a reference, so you can just look up certain types at yoru leisure. I use this in my job a Human Resources professional and usually have the managers and supervisors I work with read it.
Zacaro Caro
I love myers Briggs, and this book is good for understanding work types, i found myself disagreeing with many if the gender roles and found them to be distracting. This is my only complaint. Otherwise a very good book!
Catharine
Nov 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
Very useful for getting to know yourself better and
understanding your role at work and the why of your
work relationships.
Maya Angelou
Kim
Jun 30, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, 2014
Required reading for a class. Didn't read the entire book, but got a bit of good info. Had enough of it when it essentially said that my Perceiving personality would never be as great as I aspire because Judgers rule. And to essentially get used to it.
Beneth
Jul 21, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone familar w/ Meyer Briggs
pretty helpful in applying Meyer Briggs analysis to work situations. I would like to check out the updated version.
Virginia
Aug 31, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: just plain curious
What can I say? I'm a career counselor. It's an interesting book. Enough said. Ask to borrow it from me. It's sitting on my shelves at home.
Janelle
Sep 13, 2007 rated it really liked it
Shelves: psychology
Great resource book to increase your knowledge of yourself and others by learning about Myers-Briggs personality types!
mlady_rebecca
Jul 09, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone with the desire to understand other people better
A variation of "Type Talk" focused on the workplace. I prefer the original "Type Talk", but this did have a few added insights.
Lori
Sep 13, 2009 rated it it was ok
Incorporating the Myers-Briggs test, I'm sure this book will be a fascinating read for my managerial communications class.
Maria
May 21, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Great insights on how different personality preferences work together and react to certain stimuli. Very helpful read.
John
Sep 21, 2011 rated it liked it
Good book on the MBTI method

• Big Friendship: How We Keep Each Other Close
  • Please Understand Me II: Temperament, Character, Intelligence
  • Reading People: How Seeing the World through the Lens of Personality Changes Everything
  • The Son of Neptune: The Graphic Novel (The Heroes of Olympus: The Graphic Novels, #2)
  • Comic Book for Blood of Olympus
  • The Paranormal 13
  • Do What You Are : Discover the Perfect Career for You Through the Secrets of Personality Type
  • The Comeback
  • Personality Type
  • The Dr. Drew and Adam Book: A Survival Guide To Life and Love
  • The Return
  • The Dirt Diary (The Dirt Diary, #1)
  • Notes on a Silencing: A Memoir
  • "Multiplication Is for White People": Raising Expectations for Other People's Children
  • Gifts Differing: Understanding Personality Type
  • Introduction to Type
  • The Etymologicon: A Circular Stroll through the Hidden Connections of the English Language
  • Total Control: High Performance Street Riding Techniques
Otto Kroeger having become an internationally known organizational consultant, with his primary area of expertise being the implementation of the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator® (MBTI®) assessment, has now retired. As a renowned speaker, trainer and best selling author on the subject of psychological type he was in high demand for over three decades for his talent in bringing type theory to diverse p ...more