Start by marking “Type Talk at Work: How the 16 Personality Types Determine Your Success on the Job” as Want to Read:

In Type Talk, two renowned psychological consultants offered the first layman's version of the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI). Here, they take Typewatching to the workplace and reveal how managers, executives, and workers can use the technique to better handle both personal and personnel matters.
Paperback, Revised and Updated (10th Anniversary Edition), 400 pages
Published July 30th 2002 by Delta (first published December 1st 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Type Talk at Work, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Type Talk at Work

Matt
Mar 14, 2018 rated it liked it
Interesting but dry reading. I looked at my type and then skimmed some others. I think it would be great to read if you knew everyone else's type where you work. If you don't know their type then you're guessing. All in all I was hoping for more from this book.
Cass -  Words on Paper
Apr 13, 2016 marked it as did-not-finish
DNF at 120 pages. I love reading about the different personality types but I found everything a bit too generalised, simple and they pigeon-holed people far too much. The examples of how they helped others with Typewatching also felt fake in my opinion. Anyway, I'm happy to stop reading this and move on to something with more substance.
Brian Kramp
Dec 31, 2018 rated it liked it
While it had some great info for my ISTJ (Life's natural organizers), it had terrible info on INFP (making life kinder and gentler), for my wife.
Fullfaun
Aug 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great explanations
Mariska Davids
Jun 28, 2018 rated it liked it
Overall a nice view into people's personalities but a little too black and white for my taste. Also the later chapters are very repetitive.
C.J. Capen
Dec 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I found this book very helpful in team building and managing groups.
Lisa Smith
A solid resource (even thought it's a bit dated)
Sue
Dec 31, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: self-dev
Based on the Myers Briggs Type Inventory, this book focuses particularly on how to identify the various types in the people we work with. This can be useful in helping us understand why other people sometimes see a situation so differently to us, and may react to it, or decide to deal with it, in a surprising way.

It begins by helping the reader decide which of the sixteen types fits them best. The authors then explain that the different types will vary in the way they take in information and the
Rob
Jul 27, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: business, nonfiction
This book was highly recommended to me by a senior manager who was a huge fan of Myers Briggs, in particular to be successful in business. He himself was a very successful salesman (so by extension is good with people in a certain kind of way), so I figured it would be worthwhile to check it out.

I found the book intellectually interesting, but not actionable. Going through it I actually went around to colleagues to ask them for their MB types (I believe I was ENTJ). I wrote those types down. I r
Sara
Oct 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
A good supplement to Type Talk, the first book on this subject by Kroeger and Thuesen (for my thoughts on Type Talk, click here. My criticisms of that book apply here as well.). It has a lot of the same information that Type Talk has, but it expands on that, and includes enough new information and content to make reading this book for its own sake worth it. It has descriptions for each type that are completely different from the more general profiles given in the first book. It also includes lot ...more
Barry Davis
Feb 16, 2016 rated it liked it
An interesting resource on applying the styles of the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI) in the workplace. The book begins with an introduction to “typewatching,” as well as a list of the 10 commandments for using the information appropriately. Chapters on applying the information focus on topics like goal setting, conflict resolution, team building and sales. The authors do a solid job of explaining the limitations of “filing” people under a certain “type,” while providing some practical inform ...more
Tiffany
Jan 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I have a much greater appreciation of the power of personality types as a result of reading this book. I came to this book with a moderate level of experience with MBTI. I understand the different type indicators at a surface level. I've taken several MBTI assessments and have set through several MBTI debrief sessions but now I feel like I can truly leverage these experiences. This is a very practical book for those in marketplace leadership roles.
Lisa
Aug 23, 2011 rated it really liked it
This was amazingly insightful into different personality types. I found the description of "me" as an ISTJ to be 90% accurate and my workgroup peers seemed to feel their type also accurately described them. The best part is learning how to better interact with other personality types. Too bad this isn't required reading when we are younger so we can apply the lessons before we've butted heads, burned bridges, and irritated others...repeatedly.
Dave Wheatley
Jun 15, 2008 rated it really liked it
If you're a fan of the MBTI (Meyers-Briggs Type Indicator) and want to know how those types manifest in the modern workplace, give this book a try. The back part of the book is organized like a reference, so you can just look up certain types at yoru leisure. I use this in my job a Human Resources professional and usually have the managers and supervisors I work with read it.
Kim
Jun 30, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2014, non-fiction
Required reading for a class. Didn't read the entire book, but got a bit of good info. Had enough of it when it essentially said that my Perceiving personality would never be as great as I aspire because Judgers rule. And to essentially get used to it.
Catharine
Nov 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
Very useful for getting to know yourself better and
understanding your role at work and the why of your
work relationships.
Maya Angelou
Zacaro Caro
I love myers Briggs, and this book is good for understanding work types, i found myself disagreeing with many if the gender roles and found them to be distracting. This is my only complaint. Otherwise a very good book!
Starfire
Honestly, I got bored and gave up fairly early in the piece with this one - it just didn't feel relevant
Maria
May 21, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Great insights on how different personality preferences work together and react to certain stimuli. Very helpful read.
Beneth
Jul 21, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone familar w/ Meyer Briggs
pretty helpful in applying Meyer Briggs analysis to work situations. I would like to check out the updated version.
Carlos
Dec 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Solid information that helped me better understand people. It's a good guide for my toolbox.
Virginia
Aug 31, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: just plain curious
What can I say? I'm a career counselor. It's an interesting book. Enough said. Ask to borrow it from me. It's sitting on my shelves at home.
Janelle
Sep 13, 2007 rated it really liked it
Shelves: psychology
Great resource book to increase your knowledge of yourself and others by learning about Myers-Briggs personality types!
Elizabeth
May 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
I learned so much about myself, how I think, what sets me apart from others and how I can understand others better!
Lori
Sep 13, 2009 rated it it was ok
Incorporating the Myers-Briggs test, I'm sure this book will be a fascinating read for my managerial communications class.
Christine
I attended a class for the Myer Briggs Personality and received this book. I am hoping to start reading it over the weekend.
Sepi
Jan 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
My go to book when humans confuse me.
mlady_rebecca
Jul 09, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone with the desire to understand other people better
A variation of "Type Talk" focused on the workplace. I prefer the original "Type Talk", but this did have a few added insights.
John
Sep 21, 2011 rated it liked it
Good book on the MBTI method
Lindsay Hicks
Jun 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Very helpful if you are comfortable with MBTI and want to dig in deeper to understand how to better relate to your coworkers.
  • Was That Really Me? How Everyday Stress Brings Out Our Hidden Personality
  • Nurture by Nature: How to Raise Happy, Healthy, Responsible Children Through the Insights of Personality Type
  • Lifetypes
  • I'm Not Crazy, I'm Just Not You: The Real Meaning of the Sixteen Personality Types
  • MotherStyles: Using Personality Type to Discover Your Parenting Strengths
  • MBTI Manual: A Guide to the Development and Use of the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator
  • Evaluation: A Systematic Approach
  • Handbook of Clinical Psychopharmacology for Therapists
  • Please Understand Me II: Temperament, Character, Intelligence
  • Designing and Conducting Mixed Methods Research
  • Personality Type
  • Who Are You?: 101 Ways of Seeing Yourself
  • Silently Seduced: When Parents Make their Children Partners - Understanding Covert Incest
  • Basics of Qualitative Research: Techniques and Procedures for Developing Grounded Theory
  • Practical Research: Planning and Design
  • Educational Research: An Introduction
  • Abnormal Psychology
  • What Type Am I?: The Myers-Brigg Type Indication Made Easy

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Otto Kroeger having become an internationally known organizational consultant, with his primary area of expertise being the implementation of the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator® (MBTI®) assessment, has now retired. As a renowned speaker, trainer and best selling author on the subject of psychological type he was in high demand for over three decades for his talent in bringing type theory to diverse p ...more
“As we've said many times before, Introverts get ulcers; Extroverts give ulcers.” 8 likes
“It is this type more than any others whose style it is to stand by another person (or plant or animal), with no intention to influence it, criticize it, or change it-perhaps not even to interact with it-only to be in its presence.” 0 likes