Start by marking “Personality Type” as Want to Read:
Personality Type

Personality Type

The type test inside will tell you about the choices you've made and the direction you're taking—according to C. G. Jung's theory of psychological types.

For Jung, knowing your type was essential to understanding yourself: a way to measure personal growth and change. But his ideas have been applied largely in the areas of career and marital counseling, so type has come to
Published October 27th 1998 by Shambhala (first published January 1st 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Personality Type, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Personality Type

Start your review of Personality Type
Kristina
I've read quite a few books on typology lately, and this one is my favorite thus far. They all have something to offer, but this one is particularly great for someone who wants to know more about typology than just how to find a companion or job. It delves into the science of typology and why we prefer certain functions. It also clears up a lot of the misinformation on brain hemispheres. I recommend this if you are at all interested in the why's behind typology.
Recollectedstephanie
Jun 05, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Best, most thorough, most illuminating read about the 16 Jungian Meyers-Briggs types.
Dorotea
A primer for MBTI - the sixteen basic patterns for approaching the world:
Sensation and Intuition for direct experience (where the form focuses on what's right in front of us and the latter sees other possibilities in our imagination), Thinking and Feeling for organising experience rationally (the former by analyzing impersonally and the latter to evaluate personally), Introverted meaning involving the person we are inside and Extraverted involving our relationship to others.

Som
Charity
May 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Much better than a lot of the MBTI books I have read; I'm not sure I agree with the 8 functional use stacking per type or the technical jargon, but she does a nice job outlining the basic thought processes and defense mechanisms for the 16 types. I also have to admit, this is the first time I have ever wrapped my head fully around Se (Extroverted Sensing) but I still don't 'get' Ti (and that's not her fault). My only issue is the test. I got the wrong type, as usual -- I just don't think there a ...more
Amr Abughazala
I was surprised to find that some definition I say about specific people is exactly used in the book. The book is perfect for a start to go in the field. You would need a pen and paper sometimes to track and take notes as it is progressing a bit fast for just reading.

I read it and live in my domain of thinking of people while reading trying to match what is in my mind of pattern to the definition specified per character. I am actually enjoying the book and it can take me two times re
Ferruccio Fiordispini
Nov 10, 2016 rated it it was ok
For those who love classifying people according to Jungian theory.
This is a book that describes the very well-known MBTI method.
It makes its job, but it is also quite heavy and results a boring experience. Probably this is due to the fact that this book is set up as a descriptive synopsis of individual psychological types, based on the combination of the many letters of the alphabet that explain the individual cognitive-behavioral dimensions .
The problem, however, is that the m
Andrew Fuentes
Oct 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
The best resource for information on MBTI. As you should know, the test in the front is no substitute for a real evaluation and is only meant to be a precursor to get the ball rolling on your type if you happen to be new to the topic.

Thomson explains in detail the science behind the topic, which is greatly appreciated. She does not stray into pop culture's take on MBTI and thus avoids pigeonholing people in the process. Society seems to have taken MBTI too far and turned it into another social
Jen
Mar 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This one is dense, but it's probably the most thorough and helpful book you'll find on MBTI. It is by far the most detailed in explaining what the functions are and are not. It's also helpful for personal development as Thomson delineates what each type is like at its best and worst.

I wouldn't recommend this as a first read for those just beginning to explore MBTI. Leona Haas' Building Blocks of Personality Type is a better primer. Thomson's guide is for the MBTI devotee who wants to delve deep
Sarah V
Jul 31, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I have read most MBTI personality books and this one is by far the best. It's a bit uneven in its coverage of the material, but Lenore has a knack for combining the technical and the anecdotal (her extensive use of pop culture references is particularly amusing). Overall an approachable guide to Jungian functional theory.
Janet
Jun 11, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
An excellent book if you ever took the MBTI personality assessment and want to know what all those letters really stand for. Thomson looks at each personality type and analyzes it in a Jungian approach. Since this is a model and not a science, its accuracy is anyone's guess, but I did find my type analysis (INTJ) accurate and useful.
Levi
Sep 13, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't finish this book, but it's a great way to learn more about the Myers-Briggs Personality Assessment and how it affects every day communication between everyone. I intend to read it all the way through at some point.
Elliedakota
Feb 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
The N/S categories don't score out right - the questions are misleading and don't take into account outside factors (ex: food allergies) - the statements are too specific. Not much new info in this book, not much I didn't already know from other books.
Nora
Feb 13, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
This book contains a more sophisticated analysis of Jungian personality types and the dynamics of how the different elements interact. As a bonus, it is illustrated with witty cartoons! Kidding aside, a very good book if you want to know more than just what the four letters stand for.
Kelly
Apr 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
Lucid and thorough. Provides clear descriptions of the four functions in both attitudes and, even better, relates them to Western society (and pop media examples).
Nov 26, 2009 rated it really liked it
I'm an INFJ. What are you?
Bonnie
Jan 02, 2015

• Gifts Differing: Understanding Personality Type
  • Please Understand Me: Character and Temperament Types
  • Please Understand Me II: Temperament, Character, Intelligence
  • The Wisdom of the Enneagram: The Complete Guide to Psychological and Spiritual Growth for the Nine Personality Types
  • Quiet Power: The Secret Strengths of Introverts
  • Personality Types: Using the Enneagram for Self-Discovery
  • Joy in the Morning (Jeeves, #8)
  • The Enneagram: Understanding Yourself and the Others in Your Life
  • The Deception of the Emerald Ring (Pink Carnation, #3)
  • The Seven Principles for Making Marriage Work: A Practical Guide from the Country's Foremost Relationship Expert
  • This is Your Brain on Anxiety; What Happens and What Helps
  • Type Talk at Work: How the 16 Personality Types Determine Your Success on the Job
  • The Sacred Enneagram: Finding Your Unique Path to Spiritual Growth
  • How to Fall in Love with Anyone: A Memoir in Essays
  • My Man Jeeves (Jeeves, #1)
  • Creative You: Using Your Personality Type to Thrive
  • Ethical Questions in Name Authority Control
  • Essentials of Myers-Briggs Type Indicator Assessment
“One of the reasons for learning about type is to recognize that we are constantly motivated, simply by the way we’ve established our neural networks, to shape reality along particular functional lines. Another is to recognize the possibilities for growth and change that exist within—and apart from—the framework we have created for ourselves. Even small changes in our usual way of doing things can make big differences in the way our brain is operating. We develop the ability to think in new ways, and this stimulates creative change in all areas of our lives.” 1 likes
“For one thing, our society is relentlessly external. When we feel frustrated or dissatisfied, our first impulse is to blame our job, partner, or environment for our lack of interest. We’re encouraged at every turn to solve the problem by embarking on a new career, finding a more exciting love life, or starting a hobby. Usually, however, a feeling of restlessness or dissatisfaction occurs not because our outer situation has lost its appeal but because our unexpressed potential has no other way to get our attention. If anything, our unlived possibilities claim our attention most insistently when we’ve built an outer life strong enough to withstand their realization. The theory of psychological types offers a kind of vocabulary for recognizing and talking about the different ways this sort of thing happens to people. It tells us how our personalities take shape, depending on the gifts and strengths we put into play, and what kinds of inner possibilities may be trying to get our attention.” 0 likes